Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How many pints a week? 01:12 - Oct 24 with 4102 viewswkj

I have never really been a great fan of having cereal in the morning and generally make my oatmeal with water. However, I am a milk with tea and coffee kind person and tend to take on 3 pts a week just by myself.

Recently I discovered that for all the amenities my village lacks, it does have a milk man and they do deliver non-homogenised milk. So I have set up a 1pt delivery every tue, thur and sat - but am now curious if that is too much milk for one person or just about right.

The time is currently 1am and I am sober, so you can see just how badly this conundrum is impacting my life. All I want is to not disappoint Pat Mustard when he comes a knocking, but now I am frightened he will judge me if I don't have my glass empties ready for him.

Many thanks

WKJ - SNP Candidate for Norwich North
[Post edited 24 Oct 2023 1:13]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

How many pints a week? on 03:34 - Oct 24 with 3154 viewsLord_Lucan

I'm really hoping that I am either too p1ssed or stupid to understand what you are talking about.

Otherwise you might be the biggest girls blouse that there has ever been.............

..........in the history of big girls blouses.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

How many pints a week? on 04:21 - Oct 24 with 3128 viewsZapers

How many pints a week? on 03:34 - Oct 24 by Lord_Lucan

I'm really hoping that I am either too p1ssed or stupid to understand what you are talking about.

Otherwise you might be the biggest girls blouse that there has ever been.............

I don't think you are stupid, maybe pissed however!

Big girls blouse seems pretty accurate!
How many pints a week? on 04:29 - Oct 24 with 3128 viewswkj

How many pints a week? on 03:34 - Oct 24 by Lord_Lucan

I can live with that. It means I get much closer to a naked lady's body than you and Zapers do these days

Crybaby

How many pints a week? on 05:37 - Oct 24 with 3078 viewsMK1

Unless you are sucking direct from the cows teat, then I am sure you will be fine.
How many pints a week? on 05:50 - Oct 24 with 3064 viewsZapers

How many pints a week? on 04:29 - Oct 24 by wkj

I can live with that. It means I get much closer to a naked lady's body than you and Zapers do these days

Haha, I think that's highly unlikely, I live in Bangkok!
How many pints a week? on 06:16 - Oct 24 with 3047 viewswkj

How many pints a week? on 05:50 - Oct 24 by Zapers

Im not sure why you're telling me where you live, I wasn't coming on to you - too busy being with the ladies.

Crybaby

How many pints a week? on 08:42 - Oct 24 with 2861 viewsNthQldITFC

How many pints a week? on 06:16 - Oct 24 by wkj

Im not sure why you're telling me where you live, I wasn't coming on to you - too busy being with the ladies.

Getting back to the original question, I would say that's about right.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

How many pints a week? on 08:52 - Oct 24 with 2838 viewsDJR

If your question is aimed at the health aspects of milk, the following is worth reading/listening to.

https://zoe.com/learn/podcast-is-dairy-good-or-bad-for-you

Perhaps the key passage in the transcript is near the beginning.

Jonathan: why don't we start, as always, with a quick fire round of questions and you know the rules, a yes, a no, or a short one sentence answer if necessary. Sarah, starting with you. Lots of people say that dairy causes inflammation in the body for most people.

Is this true?

Sarah: No.

Jonathan: All right. People are paying attention already, Tim. Should people drink milk during menopause to protect their bones?

Tim: Probably not.

Jonathan: Very interesting. We'll definitely come back to that. Sarah, if I have high cholesterol, should I give up dairy? No, Tim, the current US government advice on milk is to switch to low fat or fat-free milk. Is this good advice?

Tim: No. Rubbish.

Jonathan: Amazing. So that's, I think really surprising that fine, we're gonna come back and talk about it in lots of detail, but actually, maybe if each of you can answer one final question. What's the biggest myth or misconception about dairy foods that you often hear?

Tim: Think they are high in fat, therefore they're bad for you. And therefore, and they also are linked to many allergies, and this isn't true, I think. The fat side of it is not true and the allergy thing is over exaggerated.

Jonathan: And Sarah, what about you?

Sarah: I would say there's loads of myths. The probably biggest myth that frustrates me is that dairy is high in saturated fat and therefore increases your risk of heart disease and it doesn't.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2023 8:58]
Login to get fewer ads

How many pints a week? on 08:55 - Oct 24 with 2814 viewsHerbivore

How many pints a week? on 05:50 - Oct 24 by Zapers

Narrator: He was yet to realise the ladies weren't all they seemed.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

How many pints a week? on 09:17 - Oct 24 with 2762 viewsDinDjarin

Humans should not be drinking the milk of other animals.

Its just weird and actually not good for you.
How many pints a week? on 09:25 - Oct 24 with 2720 viewsZapers

How many pints a week? on 08:55 - Oct 24 by Herbivore

Narrator: He was yet to realise the ladies weren't all they seemed.

Speaking from experience?
How many pints a week? on 09:29 - Oct 24 with 2688 viewsZapers

How many pints a week? on 06:16 - Oct 24 by wkj

I’m not sure why you are telling everyone about how much milk you drink a week!
How many pints a week? on 09:34 - Oct 24 with 2669 viewsWeWereZombies

How many pints a week? on 08:52 - Oct 24 by DJR

If your question is aimed at the health aspects of milk, the following is worth reading/listening to.

Jonathan: why don't we start, as always, with a quick fire round of questions and you know the rules, a yes, a no, or a short one sentence answer if necessary. Sarah, starting with you. Lots of people say that dairy causes inflammation in the body for most people.

Is this true?

Jonathan: All right. People are paying attention already, Tim. Should people drink milk during menopause to protect their bones?

Jonathan: Very interesting. We'll definitely come back to that. Sarah, if I have high cholesterol, should I give up dairy? No, Tim, the current US government advice on milk is to switch to low fat or fat-free milk. Is this good advice?

Jonathan: Amazing. So that's, I think really surprising that fine, we're gonna come back and talk about it in lots of detail, but actually, maybe if each of you can answer one final question. What's the biggest myth or misconception about dairy foods that you often hear?

Tim: Think they are high in fat, therefore they're bad for you. And therefore, and they also are linked to many allergies, and this isn't true, I think. The fat side of it is not true and the allergy thing is over exaggerated.

Sarah: I would say there's loads of myths. The probably biggest myth that frustrates me is that dairy is high in saturated fat and therefore increases your risk of heart disease and it doesn't.

I've listened to that one, and started pulling the blue top four pinters out of the Co-op rack for a while. But now I have succumbed to my previous conditioning and gone back to pulling out green tops. Time to get back to the full and healthy fat.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

How many pints a week? on 10:47 - Oct 24 with 2559 viewsDJR

How many pints a week? on 09:34 - Oct 24 by WeWereZombies

I've listened to that one, and started pulling the blue top four pinters out of the Co-op rack for a while. But now I have succumbed to my previous conditioning and gone back to pulling out green tops. Time to get back to the full and healthy fat.

It's that podcast and others they've put out which have made change my already pretty healthy diet.

I now have full fat kefir as part of my breakfast, combining as it does milk and healthy gut bacteria.

And I even knock back a bottle of St Feuillien Brune/Bruin every other day as it undergoes a secondary fermentation in the bottle and so also contains healthy gut bacteria. It is also an exceptionally good beer.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/beer-healthy-probiotic-b
[Post edited 24 Oct 2023 10:50]
How many pints a week? on 10:49 - Oct 24 with 2541 viewsNthQldITFC

How many pints a week? on 09:17 - Oct 24 by DinDjarin

Humans should not be drinking the milk of other animals.

Its just weird and actually not good for you.

It's not me, it's all them udders.

I drink the milk of headless goats. Headless in the cryptic crossword sense.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

How many pints a week? on 11:09 - Oct 24 with 2513 viewsJ2BLUE

How many pints a week? on 08:52 - Oct 24 by DJR

Is this true?

I have been reading about nutrition and various diets for 25 years. Not claiming to be an expert, just giving a little background to how I have formed my opinion. The rather un-shocking truth (in my opinion) is that people should eat whole foods. I think the debate around fat/carbs etc is missing the point and if people ate 90% natural whole foods then the western world would be a much healthier place.

I can't sum it up better than Michael Pollan. "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants"

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

How many pints a week? on 11:37 - Oct 24 with 2462 viewsfactual_blue

A friend of ours who is about 63 hasn't drunk milk (she doesn't drink tea or coffee), or cheese, or butter for her entire adult life.

She now has borderline stage 3/4 osteoporosis. That's the level of the condition you'd expect in somebody aged 83, not 63.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

How many pints a week? on 12:01 - Oct 24 with 2411 viewsDJR

How many pints a week? on 11:09 - Oct 24 by J2BLUE

I have been reading about nutrition and various diets for 25 years. Not claiming to be an expert, just giving a little background to how I have formed my opinion. The rather un-shocking truth (in my opinion) is that people should eat whole foods. I think the debate around fat/carbs etc is missing the point and if people ate 90% natural whole foods then the western world would be a much healthier place.

I can't sum it up better than Michael Pollan. "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants"

That's good advice. Processed food (whether sugary or not) and too much of it, combined with lack of exercise, is certainly not the way to go. And the evidence is that lean unprocessed meat in moderation does no harm at all.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2023 12:02]
How many pints a week? on 12:17 - Oct 24 with 2350 viewsHerbivore

How many pints a week? on 12:01 - Oct 24 by DJR

That's good advice. Processed food (whether sugary or not) and too much of it, combined with lack of exercise, is certainly not the way to go. And the evidence is that lean unprocessed meat in moderation does no harm at all.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2023 12:02]

Other than to the animal that's been slaughtered of course.

How many pints a week? on 12:28 - Oct 24 with 2335 viewsWeWereZombies

How many pints a week? on 11:37 - Oct 24 by factual_blue

A friend of ours who is about 63 hasn't drunk milk (she doesn't drink tea or coffee), or cheese, or butter for her entire adult life.

She now has borderline stage 3/4 osteoporosis. That's the level of the condition you'd expect in somebody aged 83, not 63.

Ok, I'll take the bait. Are we talking human years or Galápagos giant tortoise years ?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

How many pints a week? on 12:35 - Oct 24 with 2297 viewsDJR

How many pints a week? on 12:17 - Oct 24 by Herbivore

Other than to the animal that's been slaughtered of course.

That's fair enough, but in my view the only people who can truly take the high moral ground on this are those who are completely vegan, and I am not sure there are that many of them in the country, involving as it does no animal products at all including, say, leather shoes.

And, from my own point of view, I would look to the animal kingdom as a whole where killing for food is commonplace.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2023 12:43]
How many pints a week? on 12:35 - Oct 24 with 2296 viewsRyorry

How many pints a week? on 11:37 - Oct 24 by factual_blue

I haven't drunk milk or eaten any dairy for 34 years now, as it makes me very ill indeed (as in internal haemorrhaging). Cutting out dairy also saved me from the need for an unpleasant sinus op years ago.

Many foods, incl. some breads, brekkie cereals & non-dairy milks, are now fortified with calcium; & there are many, many other food/drink sources of calcium readily available - here's a list helpfully provided by the NHS -

https://www.ouh.nhs.uk/osteoporosis/documents/calcium-for-dairyfree.pdf

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

How many pints a week? on 12:43 - Oct 24 with 2262 viewsHerbivore

How many pints a week? on 12:35 - Oct 24 by DJR

That's fair enough, but in my view the only people who can truly take the high moral ground on this are those who are completely vegan, and I am not sure there are that many of them in the country, involving as it does no animal products at all including, say, leather shoes.

And, from my own point of view, I would look to the animal kingdom as a whole where killing for food is commonplace.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2023 12:43]

We have essentially removed ourselves from the animal kingdom though so not sure that argument holds. Other animals don't farm stuff. There are lots of vegans nowadays - though not enough to save the planet - and buying non-leather shoes and clothes is not difficult.

How many pints a week? on 12:49 - Oct 24 with 2216 viewsDJR

How many pints a week? on 12:43 - Oct 24 by Herbivore

We have essentially removed ourselves from the animal kingdom though so not sure that argument holds. Other animals don't farm stuff. There are lots of vegans nowadays - though not enough to save the planet - and buying non-leather shoes and clothes is not difficult.

That's true, but I was responding to your point about killing.

According to the Vegan Society, in 2019 there were 600,000 vegans, or 1.21% of the population; 276,000 (0.46%) in 2016; and 150,000 (0.25%) in 2014.

As it is, I knew someone in the 80s who was a vegan when it was pretty rare. Her mother was so concerned about this that she used to try to sneak animal fat into the meals she made for her.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2023 12:52]
How many pints a week? on 12:54 - Oct 24 with 2192 viewsHerbivore

How many pints a week? on 12:49 - Oct 24 by DJR

That's true, but I was responding to your point about killing.

According to the Vegan Society, in 2019 there were 600,000 vegans, or 1.21% of the population; 276,000 (0.46%) in 2016; and 150,000 (0.25%) in 2014.

As it is, I knew someone in the 80s who was a vegan when it was pretty rare. Her mother was so concerned about this that she used to try to sneak animal fat into the meals she made for her.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2023 12:52]

I get what you were responding to, but I just don't think it's an argument that holds. I don't see how a lion as an obligate carnivore living in the wild hunting a gazelle is remotely comparable to how humans farm and consume meat.

Veganism is growing but is still quite fringe. I think that will always be the case as people like meat and are happy to turn a blind eye to the bad sides of the meat and dairy industry (of which there are many). More people are eating less meat I think but still not in sufficient numbers or to a sufficient extent to make much of an impact on the environmental damage done by the meat and dairy industries.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024