Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC 00:53 - Oct 29 with 8888 viewsorfordbuoy

From north Suffolk - losing some population to Norwich City - to East Cambridgeshire to North Essex, with some Londoners I would guess. Population around 800,000, roughly. If so, we probably should be Premier League. That's just my stab at it.
Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 00:55 - Oct 29 with 5351 viewsFrimleyBlue

Don't forget
Bulgaria, Holland, Spain, indonesia,

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 03:57 - Oct 29 with 5200 viewsBuhrer

For me supporting Town is in the blood, for generations, though Newmarket born and Forest Heath raised. Suffolk wide catchment. Is it actually possible to change your footballing birth allegiance and be considered anything except a traitor or a fool?
Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 07:02 - Oct 29 with 5054 viewsLA_Tractor_Boy

The local catchment area will change depending on our level of success.

I was born in '73 and grew up near Witham, so the majority of my school mates were Ipswich as this coincided with the heady days under Robson.

I suspect the majority of kids growing up in Witham during the Evans era would have followed West Ham.

The mid Essex population is massive and we will definitely tap into some of this if we're in the PL.
Judging by yesterday the fan base and catchment is in rude health on 07:16 - Oct 29 with 5005 viewsunstableblue

700 extra tickets get released Friday for a Championship game against Plymouth, and they sell out immediately. That’s 28k + home fans.

Walking around the ground and the fan zone and being in the stands, the amount of 10-17 year old fans is remarkable.

Really don’t remember seeing that age group is such large numbers and it bodes well. During the dark days of the Evans era and particularly the end of the Mick tenure the actual crowds were really low, but critically it was an older demographic of addicted fans who got into Town during the Burley or previous heady days.

These new fans are witnessing some great times and great atmospheres at Portman Road and will become long term attendees in my view. The football is entertaining.

Finally I know some fans who gave up during the Mick tenure who are returning. Never thought they’d return.

The season ticket demand and lack of availability is going to become a theme.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Judging by yesterday the fan base and catchment is in rude health on 07:38 - Oct 29 with 4932 viewsChurchman

Judging by yesterday the fan base and catchment is in rude health on 07:16 - Oct 29 by unstableblue

700 extra tickets get released Friday for a Championship game against Plymouth, and they sell out immediately. That’s 28k + home fans.

Walking around the ground and the fan zone and being in the stands, the amount of 10-17 year old fans is remarkable.

Really don’t remember seeing that age group is such large numbers and it bodes well. During the dark days of the Evans era and particularly the end of the Mick tenure the actual crowds were really low, but critically it was an older demographic of addicted fans who got into Town during the Burley or previous heady days.

These new fans are witnessing some great times and great atmospheres at Portman Road and will become long term attendees in my view. The football is entertaining.

Finally I know some fans who gave up during the Mick tenure who are returning. Never thought they’d return.

The growth in numbers of younger supporters is the biggest off pitch change I’ve noticed in the last few years. This is something the club should do what it can to take advantage of, despite stadium limitations. The future is not old crusties like me, useful though our money might be for now!

To hazard a complete guess I’d say our catchment area is about one million. That’s 750k in Suffolk plus nibbles from north Essex and Cambridgeshire.

I know the ground is a bit antiquated, but what a picture it looked yesterday in the autumn sunshine. The atmosphere in older style football grounds when they are full like that just can’t be matched in the modern ‘bowls’.
Judging by yesterday the fan base and catchment is in rude health on 09:23 - Oct 29 with 4716 viewsunstableblue

Judging by yesterday the fan base and catchment is in rude health on 07:38 - Oct 29 by Churchman

The growth in numbers of younger supporters is the biggest off pitch change I’ve noticed in the last few years. This is something the club should do what it can to take advantage of, despite stadium limitations. The future is not old crusties like me, useful though our money might be for now!

To hazard a complete guess I’d say our catchment area is about one million. That’s 750k in Suffolk plus nibbles from north Essex and Cambridgeshire.

I know the ground is a bit antiquated, but what a picture it looked yesterday in the autumn sunshine. The atmosphere in older style football grounds when they are full like that just can’t be matched in the modern ‘bowls’.

It was really great yesterday in terms of the PR crowd, singing and buzz around the ground.

Younger supporters make a big part of the singing section… and they didn’t even really break song when Whittaker scored.

Yes us old gits will continue to go and spend our hard earnt cash. But become less vocal and rabid (well perhaps not myself). So yes the injection of new young supporters into Portman Road is welcome. And the club does a good job on ticket pricing with the U19 and U23 bands is really good.

For the Swansea game an U19 is only £8.

Oh and just emphasises this general thread… Swansea is about to sell out! And a league cup game has few tickets left.

Remarkable times.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Judging by yesterday the fan base and catchment is in rude health on 09:37 - Oct 29 with 4692 viewsEastTownBlue

Judging by yesterday the fan base and catchment is in rude health on 07:38 - Oct 29 by Churchman

Re younger supporters. Mark Ashton was quite clear in a supporters forum earlier this season that they are a priority as they are the future for the club having lost a generation in recent times.
Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 09:40 - Oct 29 with 4685 viewsorfordbuoy

Colchester - which was once planned to be part of Suffolk - is home to how many supporters I wonder?
Login to get fewer ads

Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 09:55 - Oct 29 with 4655 viewsDJR

Maybe I am misremembering, but didn't Bobby Robson once say, when commenting on the size of our crowds, that you couldn't get many supporters from the North Sea?

By comparison, Norwich is in the centre of Norfolk (a larger county in terms of population), which may well explain why over the years, it has tended to attract larger crowds, although that seems to be changing these days.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2023 9:56]
Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 10:08 - Oct 29 with 4617 viewsgainsboroughblue

Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 09:55 - Oct 29 by DJR

Maybe I am misremembering, but didn't Bobby Robson once say, when commenting on the size of our crowds, that you couldn't get many supporters from the North Sea?

By comparison, Norwich is in the centre of Norfolk (a larger county in terms of population), which may well explain why over the years, it has tended to attract larger crowds, although that seems to be changing these days.

Our traditional catchments are similar size with their's probably higher in terms of population density. All of Norfolk, a good chunk of Waveney depending on how well both teams are doing, most of Breckland and hitting the Cambs Fens in Wisbech etc and spreading into South Lincs.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 11:22 - Oct 29 with 4530 viewsorfordbuoy

Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 10:08 - Oct 29 by gainsboroughblue

Our traditional catchments are similar size with their's probably higher in terms of population density. All of Norfolk, a good chunk of Waveney depending on how well both teams are doing, most of Breckland and hitting the Cambs Fens in Wisbech etc and spreading into South Lincs.

Demographics is interesting and important and shifting, but catchment area (hinterland) does not seem publically available. Or could it be the study has never been done and the club does not know who it is selling its 'prooduct' to?
Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 11:31 - Oct 29 with 4504 viewsgainsboroughblue

Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 11:22 - Oct 29 by orfordbuoy

Demographics is interesting and important and shifting, but catchment area (hinterland) does not seem publically available. Or could it be the study has never been done and the club does not know who it is selling its 'prooduct' to?

It's not a linear process. So much depends on the quality of 'the product' of the time, getting people hooked at the right age and the demographic having an interest in football the first place. I'd argue clubs like Bristol City, Bradford etc lose a lot of people to rugby union/league before you factor in rival football clubs in the area.

Prior to their Premier League days, Leicester would lose people to the rugby and they also often played at home on the same day.

Essex is a really interesting one. I reckon the more South you go, you hit Hammers territory, Harlow into Herts is more Spurs with a smattering of Arse. Anywhere from around Chelmsford onwards is partly ours if we want it, and 40 odd years ago, we did have it. Tendring always was strongly blue, but again tradition, family, relocation made it all a bit jumbled up.

Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 11:41 - Oct 29 with 4473 viewsSomethingBlue

Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 09:55 - Oct 29 by DJR

Think their average attendance over the years is something like 100 higher than ours, to be fair! Definitely significantly higher in recent seasons but that's simply because they have been successful and we haven't.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 12:06 - Oct 29 with 4424 viewsDJR

Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 11:41 - Oct 29 by SomethingBlue

Think their average attendance over the years is something like 100 higher than ours, to be fair! Definitely significantly higher in recent seasons but that's simply because they have been successful and we haven't.

I'm probably remembering the early 1970s when the following suggests what I said was the case (their average attendance in 1972-73 is I think higher than we have ever achieved, as is their record crowd), and was probably thinking more about potential, given that attendances will be obviously be affected by form, and division.

https://www.englishfootballleaguetables.co.uk/stats/Report/gate/a1972-73.html

And I always put this down to the higher population of Norfolk, the absence of a football league club like Col Utd nearby, the influence of London clubs on Essex more generally, and the location of Ipswich on the edge of the county.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2023 12:11]
Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 12:16 - Oct 29 with 4377 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 11:31 - Oct 29 by gainsboroughblue

It's not a linear process. So much depends on the quality of 'the product' of the time, getting people hooked at the right age and the demographic having an interest in football the first place. I'd argue clubs like Bristol City, Bradford etc lose a lot of people to rugby union/league before you factor in rival football clubs in the area.

Prior to their Premier League days, Leicester would lose people to the rugby and they also often played at home on the same day.

Essex is a really interesting one. I reckon the more South you go, you hit Hammers territory, Harlow into Herts is more Spurs with a smattering of Arse. Anywhere from around Chelmsford onwards is partly ours if we want it, and 40 odd years ago, we did have it. Tendring always was strongly blue, but again tradition, family, relocation made it all a bit jumbled up.

As people move so do the fans. We have plenty of fans all around the world. In an increasingly digital marketplace, the product is not being marketed to a specific geographical area either.

In North Suffolk I know plenty of nodge fans and plenty of Town fans who are frequently from further south or descendants of those who were. Similarly of other clubs for the same reasons (Oxford, Rotherham, Bristol City, Plymouth, Man Utd, Man City, etc.) and then you have those who follow a team because they were successful. As we become more successful we will increasingly gain fans from all over. Already we have Dutch fans and a few European hotpots from our halcyon days. Soon we may well gain many Indonesians, Australians, Egyptians and who knows where else for similar reasons.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Judging by yesterday the fan base and catchment is in rude health on 12:48 - Oct 29 with 4328 viewsLeaky

Judging by yesterday the fan base and catchment is in rude health on 07:16 - Oct 29 by unstableblue

Well just got my grandson on board with town was a Posh fan mainly because of influence from inlaws
Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 13:00 - Oct 29 with 4296 viewsPinewoodblue

At the end of each season TWTD do a survey and one of the questions is where do you live.

https://www.twtd.co.uk/questionnaire/chart/1256/where-do-you-live

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 13:21 - Oct 29 with 4244 viewsthatbdude

Places like Haverhill and Sudbury (specifically Cornard) are more spammers strongholds, the same could be said for Thetford

Towns like Diss and Lowestoft are 50/50. Diss because it's inbetween Ipswich and Nodge.

Lowestoft has more of a divide, with the south of the Lothing being Ipswich and north of the Lothing being Budgies

Essex is an interesting one as I would imagine places like Colchester and Southend being there own places due to both clubs being in the football league for most of their existence. I would imagine southern Essex being hammers while North Essex is where we creep in but like I said above about Haverhill and Sudbury, they still have a quiet large hammers support in the north
[Post edited 29 Oct 2023 13:31]

Poll: Who going down?

Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 13:36 - Oct 29 with 4217 viewsBlueastheycome

Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 13:21 - Oct 29 by thatbdude

Places like Haverhill and Sudbury (specifically Cornard) are more spammers strongholds, the same could be said for Thetford

Towns like Diss and Lowestoft are 50/50. Diss because it's inbetween Ipswich and Nodge.

Lowestoft has more of a divide, with the south of the Lothing being Ipswich and north of the Lothing being Budgies

Essex is an interesting one as I would imagine places like Colchester and Southend being there own places due to both clubs being in the football league for most of their existence. I would imagine southern Essex being hammers while North Essex is where we creep in but like I said above about Haverhill and Sudbury, they still have a quiet large hammers support in the north
[Post edited 29 Oct 2023 13:31]

I am lowestoft born and bred and that is definitely not the case.

There is a hardy contingent of Ipswich fans in Lowestoft but Norwich rules the roost I am afraid. The neutrals shift norwich way as well as norwich is alot closer than Ipswich and has more of a cultural presence on lowestoft than ipswich does (i.e nights out, shopping, cinema etc). Quite simply, noone in lowestoft goes to Ipswich unless its specifically for the football or passing through it on the train to get to london.

Edit: Darsham advertises EADT on the sign outside the petrol station but once you continue along the A12 to Wrentham/Kessingland and Lowestoft it is all EDP first and foremost.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2023 15:54]
Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 13:41 - Oct 29 with 4192 viewsDJR

Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 13:36 - Oct 29 by Blueastheycome

There is a hardy contingent of Ipswich fans in Lowestoft but Norwich rules the roost I am afraid. The neutrals shift norwich way as well as norwich is alot closer than Ipswich and has more of a cultural presence on lowestoft than ipswich does (i.e nights out, shopping, cinema etc). Quite simply, noone in lowestoft goes to Ipswich unless its specifically for the football or passing through it on the train to get to london.

Edit: Darsham advertises EADT on the sign outside the petrol station but once you continue along the A12 to Wrentham/Kessingland and Lowestoft it is all EDP first and foremost.

Thanks for that, as I was wondering about Lowestoft.
Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 13:58 - Oct 29 with 4136 viewsmonty_radio

Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 13:36 - Oct 29 by Blueastheycome

Though back in the day when I worked in Lowestoft (74-76) I think the percentage of Town fans to Budgies was much closer than it has become since. Used to pass the mighty fleet of clapped out Belle coaches trundling South as I drove to the game.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 13:58 - Oct 29 with 4135 viewsthatbdude

That's a good point, Lowestoft to Norwich is only a short 5 minute stroll compared to Lowestoft to Ipswich which would feel a track.

The only place in Norfolk I would imagine having more Town fans is Diss and even then I doubt it as it's closer to Norwich than Ipswich

About the cultural thing I remember my old man saying "the difference between Ipswich and Norwich is that Ipswich is a town while Norwich is a tourist attraction" which is true and that's what I like about Ipswich and how it isn't overrun by Tourists unlike Norwich which is a tourist attraction you can live in

Poll: Who going down?

Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 14:02 - Oct 29 with 4111 viewsgainsboroughblue

Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 13:58 - Oct 29 by monty_radio

Though back in the day when I worked in Lowestoft (74-76) I think the percentage of Town fans to Budgies was much closer than it has become since. Used to pass the mighty fleet of clapped out Belle coaches trundling South as I drove to the game.

Not sure Ipswich has really tapped into the Lowestoft market over the years to it's advantage. It's fairly aloof at the top end of Suffolk, is probably the most deprived part of the County and as mentioned, most people there look to Norwich for it's cultural identity given distance, transport links etc.

If the county boundaries were ever re-drawn, that would probably be one of the first places transferred, along with Newmarket (Cambs).

Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 14:23 - Oct 29 with 4031 viewsPinewoodblue

Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 14:02 - Oct 29 by gainsboroughblue

Not sure Ipswich has really tapped into the Lowestoft market over the years to it's advantage. It's fairly aloof at the top end of Suffolk, is probably the most deprived part of the County and as mentioned, most people there look to Norwich for it's cultural identity given distance, transport links etc.

If the county boundaries were ever re-drawn, that would probably be one of the first places transferred, along with Newmarket (Cambs).

Or you could turn the clock back to the days when Gorleston was part of Suffolk.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 16:40 - Oct 29 with 3836 viewsMillsey

Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 13:58 - Oct 29 by thatbdude

That's a good point, Lowestoft to Norwich is only a short 5 minute stroll compared to Lowestoft to Ipswich which would feel a track.

The only place in Norfolk I would imagine having more Town fans is Diss and even then I doubt it as it's closer to Norwich than Ipswich

About the cultural thing I remember my old man saying "the difference between Ipswich and Norwich is that Ipswich is a town while Norwich is a tourist attraction" which is true and that's what I like about Ipswich and how it isn't overrun by Tourists unlike Norwich which is a tourist attraction you can live in

Rubbish
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024