Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? 19:54 - Nov 2 with 262472 viewsnoggin

Yeah but Owen Jones...
[Post edited 3 Nov 2023 9:05]

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 12:31 - Jan 27 with 3010 viewsGlasgowBlue

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 12:26 - Jan 27 by BanksterDebtSlave

With 30,000 employees in Gaza I don't suppose anybody will be too surprised if there are some skeletons in cupboards.
Interesting timing with these allegations don't you think though, what with trying to portray the UN as antisemitic.

Edit. Replied by mistake
[Post edited 27 Jan 12:35]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 08:33 - Jan 29 with 2893 viewsDJR

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 12:26 - Jan 27 by BanksterDebtSlave

With 30,000 employees in Gaza I don't suppose anybody will be too surprised if there are some skeletons in cupboards.
Interesting timing with these allegations don't you think though, what with trying to portray the UN as antisemitic.

A presenter on the World Service raised the question of the timing yesterday with an Israeli spokesperson, and it certainly does seem to have been used to take the heat off both Israel, and its allies for their support of Israel, following the ICJ judgment.

As it is, the following reflect my views on the suspension of support

"Francesca Albanese has said that defunding UNRWA at this critical time “overtly defies” the ICJ’s recent ruling, namely its order to allow effective humanitarian assistance “to address the adverse conditions of life faced by Palestinians in Gaza”.

“This will entail legal responsibilities – or the demise of the international legal system,” said Albanese, the United Nations special rapporteur on the occupied Palestinian territories."

However, a look at the major donors to UNWRA does raise a question as to why wealthy Arab nations don't donate more.

And this is what a former UNWRA spokesman said.

“My message to the Arab world, particularly to the Gulf, is where are you? Because they’re making billions each day on oil revenues. A tiny fraction of those oil revenues would see UNRWA’s financial problems disappear overnight. This unconscionable gap inflicted by these Western countries would be filled very quickly,”
[Post edited 29 Jan 8:52]
How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 09:12 - Jan 29 with 2855 viewsGlasgowBlue

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 08:33 - Jan 29 by DJR

A presenter on the World Service raised the question of the timing yesterday with an Israeli spokesperson, and it certainly does seem to have been used to take the heat off both Israel, and its allies for their support of Israel, following the ICJ judgment.

As it is, the following reflect my views on the suspension of support

"Francesca Albanese has said that defunding UNRWA at this critical time “overtly defies” the ICJ’s recent ruling, namely its order to allow effective humanitarian assistance “to address the adverse conditions of life faced by Palestinians in Gaza”.

“This will entail legal responsibilities – or the demise of the international legal system,” said Albanese, the United Nations special rapporteur on the occupied Palestinian territories."

However, a look at the major donors to UNWRA does raise a question as to why wealthy Arab nations don't donate more.

And this is what a former UNWRA spokesman said.

“My message to the Arab world, particularly to the Gulf, is where are you? Because they’re making billions each day on oil revenues. A tiny fraction of those oil revenues would see UNRWA’s financial problems disappear overnight. This unconscionable gap inflicted by these Western countries would be filled very quickly,”
[Post edited 29 Jan 8:52]

Just a few bad apples.

Convenient timing? Hamas infiltration of UNRWA has been brought to the UN’s attention for some time now..

I posted about the UNRWA back in December. I don’t think I got a single reply.

As for Francesca Albanese? She is a bad faith actor.

https://www.jpost.com/opinion/article-739603

https://www.timesofisrael.com/un-palestinian-rights-officials-social-media-histo
[Post edited 29 Jan 9:15]

Iron Lion Zion

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 09:26 - Jan 29 with 2828 viewsDJR

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 09:12 - Jan 29 by GlasgowBlue

Just a few bad apples.

Convenient timing? Hamas infiltration of UNRWA has been brought to the UN’s attention for some time now..

https://www.timesofisrael.com/un-palestinian-rights-officials-social-media-histo

You do tend to post things from only one side (don't forget there is propaganda war going on on both sides) but whatever the truth (and Israel has had UNWRA in its sight for a long time), surely the determining factor in all this is the humanitarian one, particularly given that the ICJ ordered “immediate and effective measures to enable the provision of urgently needed basic services and humanitarian assistance to address the adverse conditions of life faced by Palestinians in the Gaza Strip.”?

As it is, in terms of both killing and delivery of aid, the ICJ judgment appears to have made no difference, according to this.

The other thing in all this is that claims of double standards will continue to mount in the Global South, if the West is so keen to act on allegations affecting 12 individuals when it refuses to say or do anything to condemn Israeli actions which surely even you must admit have breached international law.

EDIT: for what it is worth, I don't post things from Palestinian sources, but instead rely on things from Israeli or Jewish sources or what I would regard as independent sources (such as the UN, aid agencies and human rights organisations).

[Post edited 29 Jan 9:45]
How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 09:28 - Jan 29 with 2818 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 09:12 - Jan 29 by GlasgowBlue

Just a few bad apples.

Good to see your sterling work defending the work of the Israeli State continuing unabated.
From your linked report.....

"Since 2015, UN Watch has exposed over 150 UNRWA staff Facebook pages that contain antisemitism and incitement to jihadi terrorism in blatant violation of UN neutrality."

....let all the Gazan Palestinians starve.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 09:44 - Jan 29 with 2756 viewsGlasgowBlue

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 09:26 - Jan 29 by DJR

You do tend to post things from only one side (don't forget there is propaganda war going on on both sides) but whatever the truth (and Israel has had UNWRA in its sight for a long time), surely the determining factor in all this is the humanitarian one, particularly given that the ICJ ordered “immediate and effective measures to enable the provision of urgently needed basic services and humanitarian assistance to address the adverse conditions of life faced by Palestinians in the Gaza Strip.”?

As it is, in terms of both killing and delivery of aid, the ICJ judgment appears to have made no difference, according to this.

The other thing in all this is that claims of double standards will continue to mount in the Global South, if the West is so keen to act on allegations affecting 12 individuals when it refuses to say or do anything to condemn Israeli actions which surely even you must admit have breached international law.

EDIT: for what it is worth, I don't post things from Palestinian sources, but instead rely on things from Israeli or Jewish sources or what I would regard as independent sources (such as the UN, aid agencies and human rights organisations).

One side? You think there is another side to this UNRWA story?

Perhaps those lovely fellas from UNRWA thought they were on a work’s beano to Israel. When they were murdering, taking and mutating innocent Israeli civilians they actually thought they were taking part in a team bonding experience.

Perhaps the 3000 social media likes in support of the 7/10 massacre from UNRWA staff were due to clumsy fat fingers. We’ve all done it.

That you are trying to find another side to this shameful story does you no credit. I’ve consistently condemned the Israeli government for war crimes, indiscriminate bombing, having terrorist sympathisers and religious zealots in their cabinet and the expansion of the illegal settlements. I’ve consistently advocated a two state solution and condemned anyone from the Israeli government who refused to acknowledge the existence of a free and democratic Palestinian state. Would be nice to see others show the same consistent views when the other side are exposed for what they are.
[Post edited 29 Jan 9:58]

Iron Lion Zion

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 10:02 - Jan 29 with 2711 viewsDJR

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 09:44 - Jan 29 by GlasgowBlue

Perhaps those lovely fellas from UNRWA thought they were on a work’s beano to Israel. When they were murdering, taking and mutating innocent Israeli civilians they actually thought they were taking part in a team bonding experience.

Perhaps the 3000 social media likes in support of the 7/10 massacre from UNRWA staff were due to clumsy fat fingers. We’ve all done it.

That you are trying to find another side to this shameful story does you no credit. I’ve consistently condemned the Israeli government for war crimes, indiscriminate bombing, having terrorist sympathisers and religious zealots in their cabinet and the expansion of the illegal settlements. I’ve consistently advocated a two state solution and condemned anyone from the Israeli government who refused to acknowledge the existence of a free and democratic Palestinian state. Would be nice to see others show the same consistent views when the other side are exposed for what they are.

I obviously didn't express as clearly as I meant my views, and for that I apologise.

I certainly wasn't trying to downplay the awfulness of any involvement of UNWRA staff in the 7 October attacks, and I fully recognise there are some pretty awful views on the part of some, maybe many, in Gaza, but that doesn't detract from my main point which is that I don't regard the allegations as justifying the withholding of aid.
[Post edited 29 Jan 17:09]
How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 10:06 - Jan 29 with 2683 viewsBlueschev

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 09:44 - Jan 29 by GlasgowBlue

You talk about this catastrophic situation as though it is a war between two equal parties, which it most definitely is not. As depressing as I may find it, it is hardly surprising that an oppressed people have grown to hate their oppressors.
Login to get fewer ads

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 10:18 - Jan 29 with 2637 viewsGlasgowBlue

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 10:02 - Jan 29 by DJR

I obviously didn't express as clearly as I meant my views, and for that I apologise.

I certainly wasn't trying to downplay the awfulness of any involvement of UNWRA staff in the 7 October attacks, and I fully recognise there are some pretty awful views on the part of some, maybe many, in Gaza, but that doesn't detract from my main point which is that I don't regard the allegations as justifying the withholding of aid.
[Post edited 29 Jan 17:09]

No problem mate.

UNRWA is a cesspit. Hamas are depriving aid to normal Palestinians. I agree that aid has to get through to the innocent. Not through UNRWA who have been completely compromised.

Let’s see if Hamas will allow this.

Sorry for the brief reply. I’d prefer to go into more detail. I was in holiday when 7/10 broke and spent far too much of my holiday posting on that. I’m on holiday this week so will not be as active.
[Post edited 29 Jan 10:41]

Iron Lion Zion

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 10:22 - Jan 29 with 2633 viewsDJR

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 10:18 - Jan 29 by GlasgowBlue

No problem mate.

UNRWA is a cesspit. Hamas are depriving aid to normal Palestinians. I agree that aid has to get through to the innocent. Not through UNRWA who have been completely compromised.

Let’s see if Hamas will allow this.

Sorry for the brief reply. I’d prefer to go into more detail. I was in holiday when 7/10 broke and spent far too much of my holiday posting on that. I’m on holiday this week so will not be as active.
[Post edited 29 Jan 10:41]

A week's break from TWTD wouldn't be a bad idea for you, or any of us.

And I'll try not to provoke you.
[Post edited 29 Jan 10:25]
How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 12:45 - Jan 29 with 2560 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 09:26 - Jan 29 by DJR

There do seem to be an awful lot of bodies trawling through social media for anything to deflect from criticism of Israel. I wonder what similar searches of employees of all Isrseli state institutions might reveal and if the West would cut their support so rapidly as a result.

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 12:51 - Jan 29 with 2540 viewsleitrimblue

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 12:45 - Jan 29 by BanksterDebtSlave

There do seem to be an awful lot of bodies trawling through social media for anything to deflect from criticism of Israel. I wonder what similar searches of employees of all Isrseli state institutions might reveal and if the West would cut their support so rapidly as a result.

You can see why the Isreali government would be desperate to find any kinda distraction from their apartheid and now genocidal actions. What confuses me is what are non Israeli officials getting out of doing their bidding?
[Post edited 29 Jan 12:54]
How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 13:40 - Jan 29 with 2485 viewsredrickstuhaart

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 12:45 - Jan 29 by BanksterDebtSlave

There are israeli government people saying things overtly appalling about palestinians, amounting to ethnic cleansing. Seems broadly equivalent to me. The hypocrisy is disgusting.
How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 16:58 - Jan 29 with 2434 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 13:40 - Jan 29 by redrickstuhaart

There are israeli government people saying things overtly appalling about palestinians, amounting to ethnic cleansing. Seems broadly equivalent to me. The hypocrisy is disgusting.

And yet we keep sending them weapons....it boggles the mind doesn’t it. Can you even imagine what some of their party membership must have twittered over the years. Stunning hypocrisy as ever.

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 09:02 - Jan 30 with 2310 viewsStokieBlue

An updated satellite imagery study on the destruction in Gaza.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-interactive/2024/jan/30/how-war-destroyed-g

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 09:24 - Jan 30 with 2265 viewsDJR

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 09:02 - Jan 30 by StokieBlue

An updated satellite imagery study on the destruction in Gaza.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-interactive/2024/jan/30/how-war-destroyed-g

SB

Pretty shocking, and going way beyond anything needed to defeat Hamas.

As it is, the destruction of buildings on the periphery is part of a plan to create a buffer zone within Gaza, which the Palestinian National Congress has claimed will reduce the area of Gaza by 20%.

https://www.ft.com/content/0694ab13-a291-4b4a-81c2-53ec91ae1cad
How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 08:58 - Jan 31 with 2077 viewsDJR

Interesting development on UNWRA reported in the Times of Israel.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/we-oppose-axing-unrwa-mid-war-senior-israeli-offic

We oppose axing UNRWA mid-war, senior Israeli official says amid global funding halt

Official clarifies agency should be out of Gaza after war but argues collapsing it now may lead to humanitarian crisis that would force IDF to halt offensive against Hamas

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s government does not support the immediate discontinuation of UNRWA, a senior Israeli official said on Tuesday as a host of Western countries moved to suspend funding for the UN relief agency for Palestinians amid allegations that roughly a dozen of its employees took part in Hamas’s October 7 terror onslaught and hundreds more are either operatives or have close ties with members.

“If UNRWA ceases operating on the ground, this could cause a humanitarian catastrophe that would force Israel to halt its fighting against Hamas,” the senior Israeli official said, briefing The Times of Israel on condition of anonymity. “This would not be in Israel’s interest and it would not be in the interest of Israel’s allies either.”
How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 09:14 - Jan 31 with 2041 viewsStokieBlue

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 08:58 - Jan 31 by DJR

https://www.timesofisrael.com/we-oppose-axing-unrwa-mid-war-senior-israeli-offic

We oppose axing UNRWA mid-war, senior Israeli official says amid global funding halt

Official clarifies agency should be out of Gaza after war but argues collapsing it now may lead to humanitarian crisis that would force IDF to halt offensive against Hamas

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s government does not support the immediate discontinuation of UNRWA, a senior Israeli official said on Tuesday as a host of Western countries moved to suspend funding for the UN relief agency for Palestinians amid allegations that roughly a dozen of its employees took part in Hamas’s October 7 terror onslaught and hundreds more are either operatives or have close ties with members.

“If UNRWA ceases operating on the ground, this could cause a humanitarian catastrophe that would force Israel to halt its fighting against Hamas,” the senior Israeli official said, briefing The Times of Israel on condition of anonymity. “This would not be in Israel’s interest and it would not be in the interest of Israel’s allies either.”

"Official clarifies agency should be out of Gaza after war but argues collapsing it now may lead to humanitarian crisis that would force IDF to halt offensive against Hamas"

Massive cognitive dissonance.

The fact they state that and can't actually see that there has already been an ongoing humanitarian crisis for quite some time is astonishing. It's made absolutely no difference to the actions of the IDF.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 09:14 - Jan 31 with 2038 viewsGlasgowBlue

Alternatively

Iron Lion Zion

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 09:23 - Jan 31 with 2020 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

They're all heart aren't they! Imagine it has a lot to do with having half an eye on that ""antisemitic" court ruling too.

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 09:27 - Jan 31 with 2003 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 09:14 - Jan 31 by GlasgowBlue

Alternatively

Ahhhh but how many Hamas sympathisers have your social media trawling allies found in those other "cesspit" (the shame of it...perhaps they should threaten you with libel!) UN organisations?

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 09:43 - Jan 31 with 1971 viewsDJR

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 09:14 - Jan 31 by GlasgowBlue

Alternatively

I suppose it's a toss up between someone I've never heard of (but describes themselves as a UN whistleblower) and an Israeli official quoted in the Times of Israel.

As it is, this may well suggest any withholding of funds is only temporary, and won't actually affect aid on the ground.

EDIT: If you look at the video, you will see that Miller's view is contrary to Reilly's.

"There is no other humanitarian player in Gaza who can provide food and water and medicine at the scale UNWRA does. We want to see that work continued"
[Post edited 31 Jan 9:58]
How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 07:54 - Feb 1 with 1821 viewsDJR

The irony of the reference to the US and UK commitment to the rules-based international order is breath-taking. But whether it is Russia in Ukraine or Western support for Israel, it is clear that the real position is that the requirement to comply with international law is not for "our" side (Russia or the West) but only for the other side. Putting it another way, might is right.

[Post edited 1 Feb 8:49]
On complicity on 09:32 - Feb 4 with 1607 viewsWeWereZombies

BBC News - Western officials in protest over Israel Gaza policy
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-68177357

With the United Kingdom again backing up United States action it is worth noting that there is dissent within administrations concerning the actions of the Israeli Defence Force. The complex political web around this gives opportunities for Iran and Russia to disrupt international shipping routes, protection of which is understandable but the creation of a division between us and South Africa is very regrettable.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

On complicity on 09:51 - Feb 4 with 1586 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

On complicity on 09:32 - Feb 4 by WeWereZombies

BBC News - Western officials in protest over Israel Gaza policy
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-68177357

With the United Kingdom again backing up United States action it is worth noting that there is dissent within administrations concerning the actions of the Israeli Defence Force. The complex political web around this gives opportunities for Iran and Russia to disrupt international shipping routes, protection of which is understandable but the creation of a division between us and South Africa is very regrettable.

There were already divisions between us and South Africa - they are part of a ‘non-aligned’ (arguably pro-Russia) group of countries. They’ve refused to criticise Russia in its war of aggression in Ukraine which has led to over 100,000 Ukrainian deaths. They have also opposed any sanctions on Russia. The US have even accused South Africa of shipping weapons to Russia (albeit not publicly proven). So it isn’t just the West demonstrating double standards…
[Post edited 4 Feb 9:53]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024