Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? 19:54 - Nov 2 with 262355 viewsnoggin

Yeah but Owen Jones...
[Post edited 3 Nov 2023 9:05]

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 13:48 - Mar 16 with 2041 viewsphillymark

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 10:53 - Mar 16 by WeWereZombies

What you misunderstand is that I am not looking for a stick to beat Israel with, I am merely pointing out that Israel as a democracy is not completely functional and we should therefore not expect good practice from that state, i.e. for relations between Israel and Palestine (an authoritarian state according to The Economist index) to normalise we need a strong external force.

By that I obviously mean the United Nations. And the recognition of Palestine as a state by all major players. And the establishment of a two state solution. And that will undoubtedly need fairly extreme military force, which will involve the loss of life of soldiers from other nations who originally have no issue with the protagonists but nevertheless get shot by both sides.

However, this is probably the only way for Israel to survive in the long term. When a self-declared advocate of non-violent resistance like Mustafa Barghouti is only interested in a single state (BBC HARDtalk last year) but at the same time looks to a homeland for six and a half million Palestinians overseas to return to then it is a matter of simple arithmetic to see the Jewish population overrun and suffering the kind of depredations that Palestinians have had to suffer over the last seventy six years making all international post World War Two efforts to provide a sanctuary wasted. There need to be two homelands but it is going to be one heck of a job establishing the area of each and then policing the border between the two. And avoiding the process descending into yet another proxy war between superpowers.

The UN lacks any credibilty when it comes to the Middle East
How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 13:50 - Mar 16 with 2030 viewspointofblue

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 13:48 - Mar 16 by phillymark

The UN has no strength whatsoever. Certain countries holding a veto neuters it. Then again, if they didn't have it, they'd probably ignore the results of votes anyway.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 14:11 - Mar 16 with 2002 viewsnoggin

Yeah, certain countries ignoring UN resolutions doesn't help.

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 16:21 - Mar 18 with 1839 viewsnoggin

The EU have now accused Israel of using starvation as a weapon of war. That's pretty damning. I'm interested in Philly's thoughts on that.

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 16:27 - Mar 18 with 1811 viewsStokieBlue

Given my previous post to you was deleted over the weekend I'm going to have another go.

Can you please explain how this is not a genocide? You've been repeatedly asked and you've repeatedly not done so.

Can you also explain why when asked about the situation in Gaza you posted a link to the 7th terrorist attacks as if you felt this was justification for the killing of 30,000 people, the destruction of any entire area and the ongoing starvation of the people still living there. Do you feel the actions of Israel are entirely justified?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 20:40 - Mar 18 with 1711 viewsbrazil1982

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 16:27 - Mar 18 by StokieBlue

Given my previous post to you was deleted over the weekend I'm going to have another go.

Can you please explain how this is not a genocide? You've been repeatedly asked and you've repeatedly not done so.

Can you also explain why when asked about the situation in Gaza you posted a link to the 7th terrorist attacks as if you felt this was justification for the killing of 30,000 people, the destruction of any entire area and the ongoing starvation of the people still living there. Do you feel the actions of Israel are entirely justified?

SB

Around a third of those killed are believed to be Hamas fighters. As much as a quarter of victims may have been killed by rockets launched by Hamas that fell short of Israel.
How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 20:47 - Mar 18 with 1695 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 20:40 - Mar 18 by brazil1982

Around a third of those killed are believed to be Hamas fighters. As much as a quarter of victims may have been killed by rockets launched by Hamas that fell short of Israel.

Believed by who....Pinocchio?
Sources?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 21:09 - Mar 18 with 1662 viewsStokieBlue

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 20:40 - Mar 18 by brazil1982

"Believed".

"May have been killed".

Please present evidence of both of those assertions as they contradict statements from the US, EU, UN and WHO.

Getting rather tired of this type of misinformation and denial perpetuated by certain posters.

"As much as a quarter of victims may have been killed by rockets launched by Hamas that fell short of Israel."

There is no evidence of this except one instance with the hospital. No agencies or governments believe this or have said this. The IDF has destroyed over 50% of the buildings in Gaza yet this is your take. Present some evidence or withdraw your statement.

SB
[Post edited 18 Mar 21:13]

Login to get fewer ads

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 22:01 - Mar 18 with 1612 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 21:09 - Mar 18 by StokieBlue

"Believed".

"May have been killed".

Please present evidence of both of those assertions as they contradict statements from the US, EU, UN and WHO.

Getting rather tired of this type of misinformation and denial perpetuated by certain posters.

"As much as a quarter of victims may have been killed by rockets launched by Hamas that fell short of Israel."

There is no evidence of this except one instance with the hospital. No agencies or governments believe this or have said this. The IDF has destroyed over 50% of the buildings in Gaza yet this is your take. Present some evidence or withdraw your statement.

SB
[Post edited 18 Mar 21:13]

The US estimated back in January around 30pc of Hamas fighters killed (out of an approx membership of 25k) which would be around 7500. Hamas themselves claim around 6k killed:-

https://www.ft.com/content/2106fb53-64bb-4f2f-86fc-d2b772c0a8d1

Both estimates would be lower than Israel’s estimates of 10-12k Hamas fighters. Regardless, it’s come at a horrendous cost to civilians.
How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 22:07 - Mar 18 with 1598 viewsStokieBlue

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 22:01 - Mar 18 by SuperKieranMcKenna

The US estimated back in January around 30pc of Hamas fighters killed (out of an approx membership of 25k) which would be around 7500. Hamas themselves claim around 6k killed:-

https://www.ft.com/content/2106fb53-64bb-4f2f-86fc-d2b772c0a8d1

Both estimates would be lower than Israel’s estimates of 10-12k Hamas fighters. Regardless, it’s come at a horrendous cost to civilians.

So neither estimate is around a third and you've also taken the high end estimate for the number of Hamas fighters.

The US also seems to be contradicting itself here as the Biden administration has also said they roughly agree with the figures from the health ministry and that they also think a lot more are dead under the rubble who aren't yet accounted for.

Absolutely agree on the last sentence that the civilian cost has been horrendous and it's the dismissal of this by some posters which is frustrating.

Still very keen to see his evidence on either of his points to be honest.

SB

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 22:12 - Mar 18 with 1594 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 22:07 - Mar 18 by StokieBlue

So neither estimate is around a third and you've also taken the high end estimate for the number of Hamas fighters.

The US also seems to be contradicting itself here as the Biden administration has also said they roughly agree with the figures from the health ministry and that they also think a lot more are dead under the rubble who aren't yet accounted for.

Absolutely agree on the last sentence that the civilian cost has been horrendous and it's the dismissal of this by some posters which is frustrating.

Still very keen to see his evidence on either of his points to be honest.

SB

I never claimed it was a third, that wasn’t my post (in fact I said they were lower than Israeli estimates ). I was adding some non-IDF sourced numbers. 25k fighters would be a conservative estimate - the FT suggest it could be as high as 40k.
[Post edited 18 Mar 22:20]
How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 23:15 - Mar 18 with 1539 viewsDJR

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 23:18 - Mar 18 with 1531 viewsDJR

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 07:23 - Mar 19 with 1468 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 23:18 - Mar 18 by DJR

This can not be true. Melanie Phillips clearly stated on QT that Gazans have access to fresh fruit and vegetables in "fully stocked markets."

Edit 2 min 20 on here....
[Post edited 19 Mar 7:31]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 07:36 - Mar 19 with 1448 viewsStokieBlue

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 07:23 - Mar 19 by BanksterDebtSlave

This can not be true. Melanie Phillips clearly stated on QT that Gazans have access to fresh fruit and vegetables in "fully stocked markets."

Edit 2 min 20 on here....
[Post edited 19 Mar 7:31]

There is a real fundamental issue here in that the BBC and others feel they need to represent all sides and the reality is that not all opinions are equal and shouldn't be platformed as such.

In this case, she shouldn't be allowed to say those things without repercussions because they are falsehoods but as a society we now seem to think that people should be allowed to spout falsehoods as facts and it's up to the consumer to decide - this shouldn't really be the case.

SB

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 17:31 - Mar 19 with 1319 viewsgiant_stow

I wonder how much further the US will let this go:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-68605401

Might need a bit of good old 'regime change' in Israel at this rate.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 18:34 - Mar 19 with 1281 viewsPassionNotAnger

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 07:36 - Mar 19 by StokieBlue

There is a real fundamental issue here in that the BBC and others feel they need to represent all sides and the reality is that not all opinions are equal and shouldn't be platformed as such.

In this case, she shouldn't be allowed to say those things without repercussions because they are falsehoods but as a society we now seem to think that people should be allowed to spout falsehoods as facts and it's up to the consumer to decide - this shouldn't really be the case.

SB

I watched in shock and dismay at her rant. I wasn’t familiar with who she was prior to the program and was horrified that she was basically allowed to rant without recourse. The SNP chap was actually pretty dignified in response to her accusations.
How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 21:44 - Mar 19 with 1229 viewsNthsuffolkblue

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 18:34 - Mar 19 by PassionNotAnger

I watched in shock and dismay at her rant. I wasn’t familiar with who she was prior to the program and was horrified that she was basically allowed to rant without recourse. The SNP chap was actually pretty dignified in response to her accusations.

In that clip there she was rightly challenged. Fiona Bruce even pointed out that without a time stamp a picture is no evidence at all. I haven't watched the programme itself so I assume your comment is on the rest of it rather than what is shown in the clip.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 10:49 - Mar 21 with 1086 viewsStokieBlue

"In its assessment, UNOSAT used high-resolution satellite images collected on 29 February and compared them with images taken before and after the start of the latest conflict. It found that 35% of all buildings in the Gaza Strip – 88,868 structures – had been damaged or destroyed.

Among these, it identified 31,198 structures as destroyed, 16,908 as severely damaged, and 40,762 as moderately damaged.

This represents an increase of nearly 20,000 damaged structures compared to the previous assessment it did based on images taken in January that showed 30% of all buildings had been damaged or destroyed, UNOSAT said."

So if we go by the figures posted above for Hamas fighters that would mean that only one was in each building destroy and that they have now killed all the Hamas fighters.

Of course the alternative is they are indiscriminately flattening Gaza - I'll let the individual decide.

SB

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 10:50 - Mar 21 with 1085 viewsWeWereZombies

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-68614552

'Israel's English-language government spokesman Eylon Levy has been suspended, Israeli media reports say.

The Israeli prime minister's office has not given a reason, according to the reports. But there is speculation that it is linked to an online row with the UK foreign secretary, Lord Cameron..."I hope you are also aware there are NO limits on the entry of food, water, medicine, or shelter equipment into Gaza, and in fact the crossings have EXCESS capacity," Mr Levy replied to (an X post) one from Lord Cameron that urged Israel "to allow more [aid] trucks into Gaza".

Israel's Channel 12 News reported on Tuesday that Mr Levy was suspended shortly after the UK Foreign Office wrote to Israel's foreign ministry to express its "surprise" and seek clarification on whether Mr Levy's posts represented the Israeli government's official position.

The Financial Times cited a person familiar with the matter as characterising the British query as: "Is this the way allies speak to each other?"

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 12:18 - Mar 21 with 1028 viewsDJR

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 10:50 - Mar 21 by WeWereZombies

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-68614552

'Israel's English-language government spokesman Eylon Levy has been suspended, Israeli media reports say.

The Israeli prime minister's office has not given a reason, according to the reports. But there is speculation that it is linked to an online row with the UK foreign secretary, Lord Cameron..."I hope you are also aware there are NO limits on the entry of food, water, medicine, or shelter equipment into Gaza, and in fact the crossings have EXCESS capacity," Mr Levy replied to (an X post) one from Lord Cameron that urged Israel "to allow more [aid] trucks into Gaza".

Israel's Channel 12 News reported on Tuesday that Mr Levy was suspended shortly after the UK Foreign Office wrote to Israel's foreign ministry to express its "surprise" and seek clarification on whether Mr Levy's posts represented the Israeli government's official position.

The Financial Times cited a person familiar with the matter as characterising the British query as: "Is this the way allies speak to each other?"

I have heard Levy and other Israeli spokespersons interviewed on numerous occasions since the war began and have come to the conclusion that PR and subtlety plays no part in what they are expected to do.

They come across as aggressive and irritable in interviews, and I don't think their "no one likes us we don't care" attitude (which is fully understandable) does the Israeli cause any good.
[Post edited 21 Mar 12:26]
How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 12:54 - Mar 21 with 991 viewsClapham_Junction

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 14:11 - Mar 16 by noggin

Yeah, certain countries ignoring UN resolutions doesn't help.

Precisely. If Arab countries had respected UN resolution 181 in 1947 and not invaded Israel on the day it became independent, then decades of this could have been avoided.
How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 20:17 - Mar 22 with 862 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2024/3/22/un-security-council-does-not-pass-us-re

China and Russia have vetoed the US resolution for a ceasefire. This is why the Security Council is a waste of time - it’s just a vehicle used by the major powers to outmanoeuvre each other. People are dying whilst they play games.
How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 20:48 - Mar 22 with 824 viewsBigalhunter

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 21:44 - Mar 19 by Nthsuffolkblue

In that clip there she was rightly challenged. Fiona Bruce even pointed out that without a time stamp a picture is no evidence at all. I haven't watched the programme itself so I assume your comment is on the rest of it rather than what is shown in the clip.

The fact that even Fiona Bruce highlighted it is testament to the utterly dangerous shambles that is Melanie Phillips.
How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 20:54 - Mar 22 with 810 viewsDJR

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 20:17 - Mar 22 by SuperKieranMcKenna

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2024/3/22/un-security-council-does-not-pass-us-re

China and Russia have vetoed the US resolution for a ceasefire. This is why the Security Council is a waste of time - it’s just a vehicle used by the major powers to outmanoeuvre each other. People are dying whilst they play games.

This is the French take on things, and it was aspects like this which led to the Chinese and Russian veto.

"France’s ambassador to the UN, Nicolas de Riviere, says the language on the US draft resolution for a ceasefire in Gaza was “not strong enough”.

“If you make the ceasefire dependent on the release of hostages, you take the risk of having thousands and thousands of more killings in the Gaza Strip in the weeks and months to come,” de Riviere told Al Jazeera.

“So you need the immediate and unconditional release of hostages – but you need a ceasefire right now. It has to stop. What’s happening right now is totally contrary to the Geneva Conventions.”

The French envoy said the draft’s language on Israel’s plan to attack Rafah was “weak as well”.

“You have to explain to Israel an operation on Rafah is off limits. It’s a red line and this has been said by many leaders as well. This should be in the resolution.”

As it is, I saw reported that Macron was hoping to come up with his own resolution, and the following from the UN at 10.36am New York time suggests things might not be lost.

10:36am – The meeting has adjourned and there is speculation that ambassadors may return to the Chamber this afternoon in New York in emergency session to debate the new draft which both Russia and China indicated they would support."
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024