Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Only a month until the derby 10:04 - Nov 6 with 2396 viewswkj

Just how confident are we feeling then?

Inspired by:
https://forum.pinkun.com/index.php?/topic/154198-only-a-month-until-the-derby/

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Only a month until the derby on 10:17 - Nov 6 with 2332 viewsBlueBadger

I think we could do with the budgies fluking a couple of 'Jewell wins' to a) falsely bolster their confidence, which would make any Town win even sweeter and b) Reduce the risk of Wagner getting sacked and replaced with someone competent but.
[Post edited 6 Nov 2023 10:37]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

"Poorman Road" on 10:21 - Nov 6 with 2302 viewsDyland

Doesn't really work, that.

Carrot Rud on the other hand!

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Only a month until the derby on 10:23 - Nov 6 with 2289 viewswkj

Only a month until the derby on 10:17 - Nov 6 by BlueBadger

I think we could do with the budgies fluking a couple of 'Jewell wins' to a) falsely bolster their confidence, which would make any Town win even sweeter and b) Reduce the risk of Wagner getting sacked and replaced with someone competent but.
[Post edited 6 Nov 2023 10:37]

I was reading it is highly unlikely there will be a management switch until 27th November at the earliest as Ben Knapper will then be taking over as sporting director. Something tells me that Wagner will be going at that time regardless of results.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Only a month until the derby on 10:40 - Nov 6 with 2194 views_clive_baker_

It's not ideal timing off the back of Middlesbrough away the Saturday before, then Watford away on the Tuesday night. There's going to be some tired legs I think, and we'll need to use the squad over that period. Having said that we do have an extra rest day as they play Sheffield Wednesday on the Wednesday night prior, but they don't have any travel for the best part of 2 weeks before the game.

All things being equal it's one I would be confident we would win. They're a mess, we could carve them open if Chaplin, Broadhead, Hirst, Burns, Hutchinson are on it. There's 7 games before it though, including really tough trips to WBA, Boro and Watford. Anything could happen and who knows what sort of form we'll be in going into it.
Only a month until the derby on 10:51 - Nov 6 with 2136 viewstrncbluearmy

Destruction Derby
Unleash Hell
3-0, could easily be more
Only a month until the derby on 11:18 - Nov 6 with 2055 viewsBobbychase

Wish we were playing them now. Watch Blackburn's third goal from yesterday.

It's a Norwich set piece near the Rovers' box. Blackburn pick it up and break but Norwich get cover back and if you freeze it at one point there are four attacking players and eight defensive players in shot. But nobody tracks the runner on the right who eventually crosses into the box and THREE players let Szmodics wander to the far post for a tap in. Looks like none of the Norwich players know what to do.

Had Rovers not gone down to 10 men it could have easily finished five or six nil. Which naturally makes you wonder what Broadhead/Chaplin/Hirst would do to the current Norwich defence.

But they'll raise their game for the derby and have a new manager in place. However we should still have enough for them.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

Only a month until the derby on 11:21 - Nov 6 with 2042 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Never confident for the Derby tbh. They just always find a way to stop us winning. I am also scared Morsy might get 4 more yellows in that time and be suspended for the game.

But logically, we are better than them on and off the pitch, so we should be confident right?

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Only a month until the derby on 11:28 - Nov 6 with 2002 viewsSitfcB

Scared. Always.

We could win every game up until then and I’d still be scared.

Form goes out of the window for these games, anything can happen and still a few games to be played before hand.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Login to get fewer ads

Only a month until the derby on 11:36 - Nov 6 with 1967 viewsyorkshireblue

Form goes out of the window for derbies.
Only a month until the derby on 11:42 - Nov 6 with 1936 viewsStewart27

Worried obviously.

We are a country mile better than them nowadays but that doesn’t matter. I remember during our promotion season in 99/00 we were flying and they came to PR and won 2-0. They were awful then.
Only a month until the derby on 11:49 - Nov 6 with 1898 views_clive_baker_

Only a month until the derby on 11:36 - Nov 6 by yorkshireblue

Form goes out of the window for derbies.

I think that's a bit of a myth to be honest. I can't recall too many that haven't gone to the side you would've expected. Certainly over the past decade or so, we got 2 deserved humpings that season under Keane and Jewell against a better side. Under Mick they were generally closer, cagey affairs where we occasionally had enough huff and puff to grind out a draw, but ultimately came up short against better quality too. Such was the case in the playoffs. When we came down we caught them early in the season at PR for a draw then got humped away, by which time they were top and we were bottom. I can't recall the last derby result that was much of a surprise.
Only a month until the derby on 11:55 - Nov 6 with 1861 viewsbaxterbasics

I'd like us to treat this as just another game to be won like the rest of the season. It will matter much more to our hate-filled friends up the road.

We can field the same team as V Fulham and still come away with the three points. I'm remaining calm.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Only a month until the derby on 12:03 - Nov 6 with 1821 viewspatrickswell

Only a month until the derby on 11:49 - Nov 6 by _clive_baker_

I think that's a bit of a myth to be honest. I can't recall too many that haven't gone to the side you would've expected. Certainly over the past decade or so, we got 2 deserved humpings that season under Keane and Jewell against a better side. Under Mick they were generally closer, cagey affairs where we occasionally had enough huff and puff to grind out a draw, but ultimately came up short against better quality too. Such was the case in the playoffs. When we came down we caught them early in the season at PR for a draw then got humped away, by which time they were top and we were bottom. I can't recall the last derby result that was much of a surprise.

3 Derby surprises:

1) Ipswich 0 Norwich 1 - October 1998
The first derby after the Mathie hat trick game. We were 3rd, they were mid-table. It’s the only derby I’ve seen live.it was a tactical masterclass by them under Bruce Rioch and they should have won by more.

2) Norwich 1 Ipswich 2 - February 2006
Lewis Price, Scott Barron, Jimmy Juan and co head to Carrow Road to play a Norwich side that was in the Premier League 12 months earlier. On paper it looked a mis-match, but Norwich had underperformed all season and despite falling behind to them, we absolutely played them off the park that day. Two big slices of luck for our goals (deflected free kick and the Hand of Haynes) but we could have won by 4 or 5 goals due to other missed chances around both goals.

3) Norwich 2 Ipswich 0 - December 2008
Jim Magilton’s only derby loss as Town manager and who knows what might have been had Jon Walters not missed a 1 on 1 at 0-0. We were struggling to break the top 6, Norwich were unsuccessfully fighting relegation, but it was an unhappy time for both clubs.
[Post edited 6 Nov 2023 12:04]
Only a month until the derby on 12:19 - Nov 6 with 1751 views_clive_baker_

Only a month until the derby on 12:03 - Nov 6 by patrickswell

3 Derby surprises:

The first derby after the Mathie hat trick game. We were 3rd, they were mid-table. It’s the only derby I’ve seen live.it was a tactical masterclass by them under Bruce Rioch and they should have won by more.

Lewis Price, Scott Barron, Jimmy Juan and co head to Carrow Road to play a Norwich side that was in the Premier League 12 months earlier. On paper it looked a mis-match, but Norwich had underperformed all season and despite falling behind to them, we absolutely played them off the park that day. Two big slices of luck for our goals (deflected free kick and the Hand of Haynes) but we could have won by 4 or 5 goals due to other missed chances around both goals.

Jim Magilton’s only derby loss as Town manager and who knows what might have been had Jon Walters not missed a 1 on 1 at 0-0. We were struggling to break the top 6, Norwich were unsuccessfully fighting relegation, but it was an unhappy time for both clubs.

That 2008 one was really annoying the season they got relegated, I was at that one. We weren't great though, every bit a mid table side and away from home against a team battling to stay up, probably wasn't a huge shock. Can't say I remember the 1-on-1 although I do have a tendency to remember a lot more from victories than defeats.
Only a month until the derby on 12:23 - Nov 6 with 1725 viewsBlueOura

Only a month until the derby on 12:03 - Nov 6 by patrickswell

3 Derby surprises:

You are somewhat proving the point Clive Baker was making as these examples are very much outliers and for the vast majority of the time the superior team has won the match.

Besides, the 2006 win was not really a great surprise anyway as both teams were mid-table (we were actually 2 places higher ) prior to the game, so not really a mis-match at all..
[Post edited 6 Nov 2023 13:24]
Only a month until the derby on 16:03 - Nov 6 with 1447 viewsBlueyandCrazy

Only a month until the derby on 12:23 - Nov 6 by BlueOura

You are somewhat proving the point Clive Baker was making as these examples are very much outliers and for the vast majority of the time the superior team has won the match.

Besides, the 2006 win was not really a great surprise anyway as both teams were mid-table (we were actually 2 places higher ) prior to the game, so not really a mis-match at all..
[Post edited 6 Nov 2023 13:24]

Agree with above, the other big surprise was the '85 Milk Cup Semi, but that was more down to Steve Bruce thuggery and poor reffing.

Poll: Worst ever ITFC manager

Only a month until the derby on 17:36 - Nov 6 with 1357 viewsChurchman

Worried. A lot could and will happen between now and then and with derby games anything can happen.

I’d add that had we played them yesterday, I suspect they’d not have given up quite so easily.
Only a month until the derby on 17:45 - Nov 6 with 1335 viewsE_I_E_I_E_I_O

Form going out of the window just a throw away lazy cliche. In fact of course it doesn't and this is shaping up as a perfect time to play them.

For example if this game was the first game of the season we would have gone into it at odds of about 2.4 meaning approx 40% chance of winning. However now expect us to go of at odds of about 1.7 meaning nearer 65% chance of winning. I know what I'd prefer.

Extremely confident.
[Post edited 6 Nov 2023 17:46]
Only a month until the derby on 18:11 - Nov 6 with 1286 viewsbluelagos

A month is a long time. Worst case scanario is a new manager comes in and the players are desperate to impress.

And I can't see Wagner not getting fired in the next month unless he turns things around pdq

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Only a month until the derby on 18:12 - Nov 6 with 1279 viewsFrimleyBlue

I'd happily lose to nodge if we then beat Leeds.

Beating both however would be amazing of course.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Only a month until the derby on 18:14 - Nov 6 with 1272 viewsFrimleyBlue

Only a month until the derby on 17:36 - Nov 6 by Churchman

Worried. A lot could and will happen between now and then and with derby games anything can happen.

I’d add that had we played them yesterday, I suspect they’d not have given up quite so easily.

I don't see it. Apart from hernandez. No one cares for them.
Can't see Sara being bothered about the derby for example. Or the 30 year old journeymen.

Gibbs might fancy it but he'll get wiped out by morsy in the first minute.

Compared to wolfy. Clarke. Williams. Chaplin. Morsy. Burgess. Davis. They'll be well up for it.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024