Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Any sci-fi book fans on TWTD? 12:18 - Nov 16 with 2410 viewsBlueDouglas

I've just finished and really enjoyed the Hyperion book series, before that read Iain M Banks culture stuff and loved it. Now looking for some recommendations, any ideas? Would love another series of books to get into.
Any sci-fi book fans on TWTD? on 12:29 - Nov 16 with 1997 viewsmrfixit426

Aaah I loved those books. I remember reading them on my honeymoon. Dan Simmons is one of my favourite authors and I would recommend many of his other books, although he does cover quite a diverse range of genres.

Sci-Fi wise, I enjoyed the solar system books by Ben Bova - I'm not sure how many of them there are now but my favourites were Mars, Return to Mars and Saturn.

I'm currently trying to read more classic stuff and am currently halfway through The Stars My Destination (1956) by Alfred Bester. It's tremendous so far.
Any sci-fi book fans on TWTD? on 12:56 - Nov 16 with 1957 viewsPortmanteauxcurling

Not Sci-fi but I've got a fantastic book about OCD. I've read it over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.
Any sci-fi book fans on TWTD? on 12:57 - Nov 16 with 1951 viewsBlueDouglas

Any sci-fi book fans on TWTD? on 12:29 - Nov 16 by mrfixit426

Aaah I loved those books. I remember reading them on my honeymoon. Dan Simmons is one of my favourite authors and I would recommend many of his other books, although he does cover quite a diverse range of genres.

Sci-Fi wise, I enjoyed the solar system books by Ben Bova - I'm not sure how many of them there are now but my favourites were Mars, Return to Mars and Saturn.

I'm currently trying to read more classic stuff and am currently halfway through The Stars My Destination (1956) by Alfred Bester. It's tremendous so far.

Amazing thanks i'll check out Ben Bova's

Always been a bit wary of reading any really old sci-fi as i'm worried it'll seem dated, but just noted hyperion is 30yrs old!
Any sci-fi book fans on TWTD? on 13:01 - Nov 16 with 1929 viewsBuhrer

I prefer his fiction more. P K Dicks more my favourite 'sci fi'. This range is always good; https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/6228.SF_Masterworks
[Post edited 16 Nov 2023 13:02]
Any sci-fi book fans on TWTD? on 13:16 - Nov 16 with 1899 viewsredrickstuhaart

Alastair Reynolds and Richard Morgan. Or even a fire on the deep by Vernor vinge.

Look up media death cult on YouTube. JOIN US.....
[Post edited 16 Nov 2023 13:17]
Any sci-fi book fans on TWTD? on 13:29 - Nov 16 with 1878 viewsDubtractor

Check out the Children of Time trilogy by Adrian Tchaikovsky. Stunning stuff.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Any sci-fi book fans on TWTD? on 13:31 - Nov 16 with 1868 viewsPlums

Any sci-fi book fans on TWTD? on 13:29 - Nov 16 by Dubtractor

I went to school with him. It's amazing to see him basically have his own shelf at Waterstones. I haven't read his works - not really my cup of tea - but I ought to give it a go.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Any sci-fi book fans on TWTD? on 13:32 - Nov 16 with 1866 viewsDubtractor

Also The Expanse series is ace.

Ancillary Justice, plus the sequels, by Ann Leckie is amazing.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.

Login to get fewer ads

Any sci-fi book fans on TWTD? on 13:36 - Nov 16 with 1855 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Yeah I liked this one about an Orwellian future where tech companies monitor you and harvest your data for sale to the highest bidder. The UK becomes increasingly authoritarian with clampdowns on protesting, and the populace pitted against each other with propaganda masquerading as a free media.

…oh wait that wasn’t a book.
Any sci-fi book fans on TWTD? on 13:47 - Nov 16 with 1832 viewsSteve_M

Any sci-fi book fans on TWTD? on 12:57 - Nov 16 by BlueDouglas

Amazing thanks i'll check out Ben Bova's

Always been a bit wary of reading any really old sci-fi as i'm worried it'll seem dated, but just noted hyperion is 30yrs old!

Well, I'm currently reading War of the Worlds for the first time. It's obviously dated but perhaps so much so that it remains very readable.

Hard not to read bits in the voices of Orson Welles or Richard Burton though.
[Post edited 16 Nov 2023 17:26]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Any sci-fi book fans on TWTD? on 14:11 - Nov 16 with 1784 viewsDanTheMan

Not a series but I really enjoyed Project Hail Mary.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Any sci-fi book fans on TWTD? on 14:40 - Nov 16 with 1745 viewsredrickstuhaart

Any sci-fi book fans on TWTD? on 14:11 - Nov 16 by DanTheMan

Not a series but I really enjoyed Project Hail Mary.

I really ought to add roadside picnic by the strugatskys though that's more of an emthusiasts read....
Any sci-fi book fans on TWTD? on 14:40 - Nov 16 with 1743 viewshomer_123

Any sci-fi book fans on TWTD? on 13:29 - Nov 16 by Dubtractor

Hasn't CoT been optioned?

I'm not sure if any of his stuff has been brought to screen?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Any sci-fi book fans on TWTD? on 14:41 - Nov 16 with 1741 viewshomer_123

Any sci-fi book fans on TWTD? on 14:40 - Nov 16 by redrickstuhaart

I really ought to add roadside picnic by the strugatskys though that's more of an emthusiasts read....

Read that and read it as......

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Any sci-fi book fans on TWTD? on 15:45 - Nov 16 with 1673 viewsvilanovablue

I love William Gibson's work
Any sci-fi book fans on TWTD? on 16:40 - Nov 16 with 1631 viewsmonkeymagic

Very retro but you might want to read Arthur C Clarke, I remember Rendezvous with Rama as a particularly compelling story.
Any sci-fi book fans on TWTD? on 17:24 - Nov 16 with 1584 viewsBlueBadger

I cam't recommend the Expanse series(and accompanying novellas) highly enough.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Any sci-fi book fans on TWTD? on 17:25 - Nov 16 with 1573 viewsBlueBadger

Anything by Harry Harrison but particularly the Stainless Steel Rat series or 'Bill the Galactic Hero'.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Any sci-fi book fans on TWTD? on 19:05 - Nov 16 with 1489 viewsBlueBadger

'A Memory Called Empire' and the follow up 'A Desolation Called Peace' by Arkady Martine are great reads. The Wayfarers series are also good but your mileage may vary depending on much you enjoy what I can only describe as 'cosy' sci fi.

Any sci-fi book fans on TWTD? on 19:09 - Nov 16 with 1482 viewsredrickstuhaart

Any sci-fi book fans on TWTD? on 16:40 - Nov 16 by monkeymagic

Very retro but you might want to read Arthur C Clarke, I remember Rendezvous with Rama as a particularly compelling story.

Rama is good but dated. Rama 2 is an abomination. Couldnt get past the first few chapters.
Any sci-fi book fans on TWTD? on 19:10 - Nov 16 with 1481 viewsredrickstuhaart

Any sci-fi book fans on TWTD? on 15:45 - Nov 16 by vilanovablue

I love William Gibson's work

Acquired taste, and the absence of mobile phones in the Sprawl trilogy is a bit jarring now (his one biggest failure!) but yes. If you like glacial, perfect prose and have time to concentrate...
Any sci-fi book fans on TWTD? on 19:34 - Nov 16 with 1442 viewsDubtractor

Any sci-fi book fans on TWTD? on 19:09 - Nov 16 by redrickstuhaart

Rama is good but dated. Rama 2 is an abomination. Couldnt get past the first few chapters.

Rama 2 really is terrible. I persevered, wish I hadn't.

Any sci-fi book fans on TWTD? on 19:50 - Nov 16 with 1425 viewsandytown

Old Man’s War. Don’t remember the author

Peter Hamilton if you like long books
Any sci-fi book fans on TWTD? on 22:43 - Nov 16 with 1358 viewsstonojnr

Any sci-fi book fans on TWTD? on 19:09 - Nov 16 by redrickstuhaart

dated ? in what way ? did you not see 'Oumuamua :)

ok, there arent any big reveals, big action sequences, big set pieces, probably why its never been made into a movie, theres jeopardy, of the unknown, but its written in a style very similar to Asimov's I,Robot, its a story thats presented to you very factually based, maybe drily matter of fact, but its no worse for that, I love that style as it feels like youre experiencing the discoveries of new things as part of the crew of characters themselves.

but Id agree Rama 2 was a terrible follow up.
Any sci-fi book fans on TWTD? on 23:36 - Nov 16 with 1309 viewsredrickstuhaart

Any sci-fi book fans on TWTD? on 22:43 - Nov 16 by stonojnr

dated ? in what way ? did you not see 'Oumuamua :)

ok, there arent any big reveals, big action sequences, big set pieces, probably why its never been made into a movie, theres jeopardy, of the unknown, but its written in a style very similar to Asimov's I,Robot, its a story thats presented to you very factually based, maybe drily matter of fact, but its no worse for that, I love that style as it feels like youre experiencing the discoveries of new things as part of the crew of characters themselves.

but Id agree Rama 2 was a terrible follow up.

Its dated particularly in the way its written. Its not a criticism. I have AE Van Vogt, John Brunner and others on my bookshelf...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024