Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Makin story in The Star. 10:07 - Nov 21 with 2553 viewsBluespeed225

'I shouldn't have left when I did' CBA to read it, never liked the bloke, he's right, should have gone earlier. Not board member Makin BTW!
Makin story in The Star. on 10:22 - Nov 21 with 2397 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

Chris Makin? I think he was offloaded due to cost to Leicester after a spell out injured.

Not a bad full back for Town, although I thought both Wilnis and Clapham were better.
Makin story in The Star. on 10:33 - Nov 21 with 2338 viewsPhilTWTD

Makin story in The Star. on 10:22 - Nov 21 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

Chris Makin? I think he was offloaded due to cost to Leicester after a spell out injured.

Not a bad full back for Town, although I thought both Wilnis and Clapham were better.

Turned down a contract as he was close to a move to Bolton in the Premier League but it didn't happen and he ended up at Leicester. He admitted he made an error not long after making the move.

Makin Mistake 14th Feb 2005 09:44
Ex-Town full-back Chris Makin has admitted he made an error when he chose to leave the Blues in the summer. The 31-year-old was jeered and booed when he returned to Portman Road on Saturday with Leicester City. 0

Makin story in The Star. on 10:36 - Nov 21 with 2308 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

Makin story in The Star. on 10:33 - Nov 21 by PhilTWTD

Turned down a contract as he was close to a move to Bolton in the Premier League but it didn't happen and he ended up at Leicester. He admitted he made an error not long after making the move.

Makin Mistake 14th Feb 2005 09:44
Ex-Town full-back Chris Makin has admitted he made an error when he chose to leave the Blues in the summer. The 31-year-old was jeered and booed when he returned to Portman Road on Saturday with Leicester City. 0

We struggled in that position as well. It's mad how we lost McGreal (who went on to do well at Burnley) and Makin in the same period. I recall Makin getting promoted with Reading at our expense as well?
Makin story in The Star. on 10:38 - Nov 21 with 2271 viewsPhilTWTD

Makin story in The Star. on 10:36 - Nov 21 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

We struggled in that position as well. It's mad how we lost McGreal (who went on to do well at Burnley) and Makin in the same period. I recall Makin getting promoted with Reading at our expense as well?

You may well be right. I couldn't remember the circumstances of his departure so looked back in our archive. Spent time on loan with George Burley at Derby as well.
Makin story in The Star. on 10:51 - Nov 21 with 2200 viewsmonty_radio

Although Fab eventually became a cult figure, at the time, I always felt that, when he and Makin were being swapped about, that the ideal would have been Makin's defensive qualities allied to Fab's attacking verve. That they kept being alternated seemed to me to indicate that the manager was aware of what each one had, and what he lacked.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Makin story in The Star. on 11:08 - Nov 21 with 2027 viewsthebooks

I seem to remember he was best as a CB after BFJ moved him inside.

Could be wrong, so long ago…
Makin story in The Star. on 11:54 - Nov 21 with 1852 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

Makin story in The Star. on 11:08 - Nov 21 by thebooks

I seem to remember he was best as a CB after BFJ moved him inside.

Could be wrong, so long ago…

I liked Royle as manager but his organisation of the backline at times left a lot of questions, as did his player choices... selling Gaardsoe our best defender and letting go Venus in one window was the start. Then letting McGreal go for a free. The we had Makin and Naylor both playing as centre half's, the signing of a half dead Mark Fish, Drissa Diallo, who worked hard but was an absolute downgrade of what we had. If only we had the cash to sign Matt Elliot and David Unsworth it may have worked! DeVos was a decent signing though. If Royle had got that backline right we could have saved a few points and got promoted, that's how fine a margin it was.
Makin story in The Star. on 12:11 - Nov 21 with 1738 viewsPhilTWTD

Makin story in The Star. on 11:54 - Nov 21 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

I liked Royle as manager but his organisation of the backline at times left a lot of questions, as did his player choices... selling Gaardsoe our best defender and letting go Venus in one window was the start. Then letting McGreal go for a free. The we had Makin and Naylor both playing as centre half's, the signing of a half dead Mark Fish, Drissa Diallo, who worked hard but was an absolute downgrade of what we had. If only we had the cash to sign Matt Elliot and David Unsworth it may have worked! DeVos was a decent signing though. If Royle had got that backline right we could have saved a few points and got promoted, that's how fine a margin it was.

JR didn't rate Gaardsoe at all as a defender, would have played him in midfield had he not been sold the summer he left. When JR came in, he was very short on centre-halves as Bramble had left and McGreal was injured, if I remember rightly. Venus may also have been, I think. Hreidarsson was sold as well during administration. We ended up with Gaardsoe, Makin and Holland as a back three.
Login to get fewer ads

Makin story in The Star. on 12:15 - Nov 21 with 1693 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Never really understood the reasons of bringing him in. What was in Burley's mind? We had been doing very well with Fabian so what was the point of getting Makin in?
Makin story in The Star. on 13:07 - Nov 21 with 1422 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

Makin story in The Star. on 12:15 - Nov 21 by Mach_foreignBlue

Never really understood the reasons of bringing him in. What was in Burley's mind? We had been doing very well with Fabian so what was the point of getting Makin in?

Bringing in Makin and Armstrong was seen as enhancements, Gary Croft and David Johnson did not adapt well to the top flight, and we had sold Johnson probably unwisely before the season ended. It's a shame as had we hung onto him he would have been an asset in trying to get us promoted again and had a superb record for Nottingham Forest.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024