Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Whatever happens regarding a striker... 10:18 - Jan 25 with 1298 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

The transfer window in general has been a slow mover. Several clubs are fighting for a striker. We are clearly sticking within our FFP limits which benefits us for the long term.

The brutal truth in the end is we messed up in the summer, not January. The summer is when we needed to add to what we had but we didn't - for whatever reason.

We saw the other night that we've got good attacking options now - we won't struggle to score goals, we will just struggle without a vocal point who we can hit.

Let's see what happens but get behind whoever walks through the door - there aren't many options it seems.

Poll: If selling Jackson meant getting in a wide man, would you be happy with Garbutt?

Whatever happens regarding a striker... on 10:22 - Jan 25 with 1242 viewsSwansea_Blue

On the striker front, I don't think signing Hirst on a perm and loaning one of the most highly rated young strikers in England, whilst also having Freddie and Jackson on the books, was messing up. Freddie deserved a chance and we know Jackson provides versatile cover as a squad player.

We did look at players in the summer but couldn't get our main targets again, probably for similar reasons to now.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Whatever happens regarding a striker... on 10:30 - Jan 25 with 1185 viewsSteve_M

Whatever happens regarding a striker... on 10:22 - Jan 25 by Swansea_Blue

On the striker front, I don't think signing Hirst on a perm and loaning one of the most highly rated young strikers in England, whilst also having Freddie and Jackson on the books, was messing up. Freddie deserved a chance and we know Jackson provides versatile cover as a squad player.

We did look at players in the summer but couldn't get our main targets again, probably for similar reasons to now.

Yes, but we wanted another senior striker as well as Hirst. We failed at that for the second Summer in a row.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Whatever happens regarding a striker... on 10:37 - Jan 25 with 1102 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

We wouldn't have loaned Freddy out if we had nothing coming in, Ashton has made a few mistakes in the transfer market since being here but nothing that stupid. I think it's a shame we haven't had them this week but I expect something to happen, if not we'll be in the Playoffs and I don't feel we'll be promoted.

I just can't see us us being that stupid. We would have known Scarlett was going, Hirst was unexpected and we chose to loan Ladapo out, so we had an idea we'd need two for some time.
Whatever happens regarding a striker... on 10:37 - Jan 25 with 1101 viewsBcarefulwhatUWish4

Any striker coming to our club knows there is a great chance that they'll play regularly as there is room in the squad.

Many other clubs have a multitude of strikers, but are looking to add strength from the bench (back ups basically). That does give us an advantage. On the downside, other clubs also know we are pretty desperate for a striker or two.
Whatever happens regarding a striker... on 10:39 - Jan 25 with 1095 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

I know what you're saying but I disagree.

We walked into the season with a mainly inexperienced strike force for Championship football. Hirst was always the primary target and we landed him, but Jackson wasn't going to be good enough as a striker (which we knew) and Ladapo isn't good enough either, though he's fine for L1. Scarlett was more hope than expectation and I think early on the management team had realised he wasn't up to scratch, hence the lack of minutes.

It's important that we don't mix quantity and quality up - we had bodies, but they aren't up to scratch. Two of the four mentioned are no longer at the club.

Poll: If selling Jackson meant getting in a wide man, would you be happy with Garbutt?

Whatever happens regarding a striker... on 10:41 - Jan 25 with 1075 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

Whatever happens regarding a striker... on 10:37 - Jan 25 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

We wouldn't have loaned Freddy out if we had nothing coming in, Ashton has made a few mistakes in the transfer market since being here but nothing that stupid. I think it's a shame we haven't had them this week but I expect something to happen, if not we'll be in the Playoffs and I don't feel we'll be promoted.

I just can't see us us being that stupid. We would have known Scarlett was going, Hirst was unexpected and we chose to loan Ladapo out, so we had an idea we'd need two for some time.

I'm not so sure - Ladapo wasn't getting minutes anyway. When you see Jackson preferred, I think that's clear your time is up regardless of whether someone else comes in. He rarely came on off the bench either. Best move for all parties though I hope the new manager at Charlton likes him.

Whatever happens regarding a striker... on 11:04 - Jan 25 with 919 viewstextbackup

Do you honestly believe that if we had got another striker in the summer we’d have held onto Ladapo?!

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Whatever happens regarding a striker... on 12:53 - Jan 25 with 658 viewsGlasgowBlue

I think the summer was fine for a newly promoted club from league one who were looking to consolidate being in the Championship, after being absent for 4 seasons, and perhaps sneak into the play offs. Ladapo, Hirst, Jackson and Scarlett would have been fine for that challenge.

No one could have predicted that we would be challenging for automatic promotion and sitting in 2nd place as we go in to February.
[Post edited 25 Jan 12:53]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Login to get fewer ads

Whatever happens regarding a striker... on 13:01 - Jan 25 with 575 viewsWakh

Whatever happens regarding a striker... on 10:39 - Jan 25 by IPSWICHFANITFC

I know what you're saying but I disagree.

We walked into the season with a mainly inexperienced strike force for Championship football. Hirst was always the primary target and we landed him, but Jackson wasn't going to be good enough as a striker (which we knew) and Ladapo isn't good enough either, though he's fine for L1. Scarlett was more hope than expectation and I think early on the management team had realised he wasn't up to scratch, hence the lack of minutes.

It's important that we don't mix quantity and quality up - we had bodies, but they aren't up to scratch. Two of the four mentioned are no longer at the club.

Not sure messing up is the right terminology though. If you get out-bid on eBay is that messing up? I am not so sure. You can’t always have what you want in life for no fault of your own.
Whatever happens regarding a striker... on 13:29 - Jan 25 with 514 viewsVegtablue

Whatever happens regarding a striker... on 10:30 - Jan 25 by Steve_M

Yes, but we wanted another senior striker as well as Hirst. We failed at that for the second Summer in a row.

"[F]ailed" is a triggering word on here. Evidently it's highly charged for many and carries connotations of blame and culpability, but in it's stripped-back sense it is simply commenting on a goal not being achieved. Failure can be as noble and irreproachable as it can be ignominious; I don't know the degree to which you send blame or criticism in any direction Steve, but I'm confident your post is correct.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024