Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Any normal season 11:50 - Mar 18 with 2954 viewsHerbivore

And 4 wins from our last 8 games would see us finishing very comfortably in 2nd place (likely with a game or two to spare) and in with a sniff of the title. This season is nuts. We may have ended the banter era, but we still don't half have some ropey luck.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Any normal season on 12:51 - Mar 18 with 695 viewsbaxterbasics

Any normal season on 12:32 - Mar 18 by Guthrum

That was my prediction from more than a year ago.

Imagine this time next year having the same discussion about whether it will be Man City or Liverpool who drop points to let us in.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Any normal season on 12:54 - Mar 18 with 682 viewsHerbivore

Any normal season on 12:38 - Mar 18 by _clive_baker_

It's easy to point at games like Cardiff and rue them though. For every Cardiff away there's a handful of Cardiff at homes or Bristol City just a few days before that defeat etc that on another day could've been less fruitful.

Our points haul is outrageous, more so in the context of us just coming up but irrespective of that. Just outrageous generally. Bl00dy annoying we've found ourselves in a division with 2 or 3 very strong parachute clubs who are also outrageous.

Still, we're at this stage of the season and we've got a dog in the fight, which is incredible. Win our games and it would almost certainly be enough for the top 2. While it wouldn't mathematically guarantee anything we're certainly not requiring snookers.

Aye, there's always going to be 'what if?' moments but there's no point dwelling on it. We've won so many points from losing positions and late on in games that we can't lament too much being on the other side of it for once. Mine times out of ten we probably see that game out, but these things happen in football. We've got an insane number of points over the course of the season and we just have to keep taking one game at a time and see where it takes us. There's no individual fixture I look at and think we can't win, that doesn't mean we'll win all of them but all we can do is aim to play well in every game and see where that takes us.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Any normal season on 13:05 - Mar 18 with 661 viewsITFCBlues

Any normal season on 12:10 - Mar 18 by Illinoisblue

Leicester have tough games in April. I keep telling myself that

Unfortunately, so do we!

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Any normal season on 13:14 - Mar 18 with 640 viewsBlueBadger

Any normal season on 12:19 - Mar 18 by Herbivore

Whilst not impossible I'd say it's highly implausible that we win our last 8 games, finish on 105 points, and still don't go up. Win our last 8 and we will very likely be champions.

24 POINTS 24 GOALS

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Any normal season on 13:15 - Mar 18 with 636 viewsEuropablue

Any normal season on 12:02 - Mar 18 by ITFCBlues

Not for me. Leeds and Leicester are unfortunately pretty relentless.

Leicester have been relentlessly bad recently. I wouldn't be surprised if Southampton overtook them.
Leicester are a very fragile team. They have a lot of good players, but they don't have the same mental strength or team spirit that we and even Leeds do. The fans have also been awful booing wins.
Any normal season on 13:26 - Mar 18 with 612 viewsBent_double

Any normal season on 12:10 - Mar 18 by Illinoisblue

Leicester have tough games in April. I keep telling myself that

1st April : Leicester v Noj

What a great day to be a budgie fan - just for a few hours of course. Shame it's not a morning KO.

Noj beat Leicester, then we beat Noj. Perfect.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Any normal season on 13:26 - Mar 18 with 613 viewstractorboy1978

Any normal season on 12:54 - Mar 18 by Herbivore

Aye, there's always going to be 'what if?' moments but there's no point dwelling on it. We've won so many points from losing positions and late on in games that we can't lament too much being on the other side of it for once. Mine times out of ten we probably see that game out, but these things happen in football. We've got an insane number of points over the course of the season and we just have to keep taking one game at a time and see where it takes us. There's no individual fixture I look at and think we can't win, that doesn't mean we'll win all of them but all we can do is aim to play well in every game and see where that takes us.

If we don't make it then I think it'll be that double header against QPR/Stoke that we really rue. The QPR game in particular, we just had too many important players missing but notwithstanding that they were both games that we'd have won if we had Moore or a proper replacement for Hirst IMO.
Any normal season on 13:36 - Mar 18 with 582 viewsJakeITFC

Any normal season on 13:26 - Mar 18 by tractorboy1978

If we don't make it then I think it'll be that double header against QPR/Stoke that we really rue. The QPR game in particular, we just had too many important players missing but notwithstanding that they were both games that we'd have won if we had Moore or a proper replacement for Hirst IMO.

Pretty crazy that it is pretty much Cardiff and that they we can look back on with any real frustration - for a promoted side to have made such light work of this division really is complete madness.

Looking back on a handful of defeats and annoying draws is like Barca v Real Madrid levels under Pep and Mourinho where you needed 100 points for a title, crazy for us to be in back-to-back seasons like that.
Login to get fewer ads

Any normal season on 13:41 - Mar 18 with 570 viewsChurchman

Any normal season on 12:31 - Mar 18 by pointofblue

Six wins means we'll probably have to beat Blackburn, Middlesbrough, Watford and Huddersfield , meaning we perhaps can afford dropped points from two of Southampton, Norwich, Hull and Coventry. Maybe Norwich (yeuch) and Hull, as Southampton is a home game and Coventry may be distracted and/or tired.

Unfortunately, the Cardiff defeat is looking more and more decisive. But I think a few of us thought the same of the draw at Cheltenham last year.

You cannot single out fixtures. After 46 games you deserve to be where you are. Despite Leeds and Leicester’s view of plucky, lucky little old Ipswich any good fortune will well and truly have evened itself out as will throw away games and pinched ones. You will have played in form and out of form teams in equal measure.

Eight games to play. Just a load of faces in different coloured shirts. Let’s aim to win each and every one in turn. It may or may not be enough. Regardless of any outcome, this season will be some achievement, not just from points haul, but also the stylish way we’ve done it. A team to be proud of.

Go for it! We can win every game and in this crazy season, nothing would surprise me.
Any normal season on 13:52 - Mar 18 with 542 viewsBiGDonnie

Any normal season on 12:02 - Mar 18 by ITFCBlues

Not for me. Leeds and Leicester are unfortunately pretty relentless.

Leicester who have lost something like 5 of the last 7?

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Any normal season on 13:54 - Mar 18 with 534 viewsITFCBlues

Any normal season on 13:52 - Mar 18 by BiGDonnie

Leicester who have lost something like 5 of the last 7?

Leicester who are still 1 point clear with a game in hand.

I hope I'm wrong, but I just feel as though they'll have enough to get over the line. 4 points from two difficult away games last time out.

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Any normal season on 17:55 - Mar 18 with 413 viewsLankHenners

Any normal season on 13:26 - Mar 18 by tractorboy1978

Thing is as Clive says above, whilst there are games we can look back on and wonder 'what if', there are plenty of others where we could well have dropped points but managed to come away with all 3.

Every team in the league can go through their results and say 'should have got a win there', 'shouldn't have drawn that' etc. It's why the truism about the league table not lying by the end of the season is an, er, truism.

Even Burnley last season would have had games they'd feel they should have got more from despite them running away with the league in the end.

The frustrating thing for me is the subject of the OP really - just our luck that we happen to be doing exceptionally well at the same time 3 of the strongest relegated sides in Championship history are all here doing just as well.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Any normal season on 18:44 - Mar 18 with 365 viewsMK1

Think Leeds go on and win the title now. Just relentless. We will have to wait and see how Leicester perform now they are out of the cup. We both have quite tough run ins, so hopefully they are feeling sorry for themselves and lose at least 3 of their remaining games.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024