Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
McKenna and Hutchinson 20:10 - Mar 18 with 2459 viewswithyblue

McKenna's coaching of Hutchinson this season has been an absolute masterclass in loanee coaching.

How many times over the last 15 years have we taken on Premier League loanees who have shown glimpses of outstanding quality but eventually been unable to withstand the difficulty and toughness of the Championship and faded into the background? At the start of the season I had reservations that Hutchinson would end up befalling a similar fate.

The way Hutchinson has improved as a player and been gradually eased into the starting XI and is now one of our most pivotal players during the run-in has been managed perfectly by McKenna.

When McKenna arrived it was pretty clear from the start we had an extremely intelligent football tactician, but his management of Hutchinson this season, and of players like Burgess and Burns as they've made the step-up, have proven his qualities as a man-manager and a coach as well. He ticks every single box as a manager.

I expect both McKenna and Hutchinson to go the top of English football, and the former will have played an extremely important role in the career of the latter.
McKenna and Hutchinson on 20:17 - Mar 18 with 2392 views_clive_baker_

I make you right.

No better way to demonstrate our worth as a destination for talented young players either, which can only be a good thing. Top clubs take the development of their young players very seriously, where they're sent at such a pivotal time in their careers can go a long way to making or breaking (or at least setting back) their progress. I would think it's duly noted how good we've been for Hutchinson and I dare say Chelsea and other big clubs would have us right near the top of their list as potential suitors for loan moves.

I've been a bit critical of how we've approached the loan market in the past, not least because we've often brought players in who weren't demonstrably any better than what we had and seemed to block pathways. However, if you get it right like we have with Hutchinson you can certainly add quality that wouldn't otherwise be in reach. He's a fantastic footballer and as importantly he seems to have his head screwed on and a real willingness to learn. It's a great arrangement for all parties.
McKenna and Hutchinson on 20:34 - Mar 18 with 2298 viewsSwansea_Blue

Yep, I was thinking about this on Saturday.
Could somebody wrap Omari in cotton wool please by Swansea_Blue 16 Mar 16:17
He was dynamite at times before Xmas, then went a bit quiet and didn’t get a lot of game time for a while. And now he’s come back in properly he’s almost unplayable at times. He deserves huge credit for keeping his head down and working hard, and KM has managed him superbly.

I’d love for us to sign him, but I think that’s unrealistic.

It makes you wonder what he could do with Sarmiento given more time, as the talent’s there too but a bit further back along the development pathway.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

McKenna and Hutchinson on 20:52 - Mar 18 with 2217 viewsle2blue

Whilst Kieran is indeed a genius, I'm sure he would want you to change your title to McKenna and his team. I know Lee Grant in particular has spent a lot of time with Omari coaching him 1:1 with his movement and passing.

The calibre of coaching and performance staff is now at another level at the club. Always remember how Mick refused to use GPS trackers and Andy Liddell saying how Cole Skuse didn't need to be told how to manage his body.

Its light and day, which is also why we're more likely to be trusted with top end premier league loan players.
McKenna and Hutchinson on 21:17 - Mar 18 with 2095 viewsGuthrum

McKenna and Hutchinson on 20:34 - Mar 18 by Swansea_Blue

He was dynamite at times before Xmas, then went a bit quiet and didn’t get a lot of game time for a while. And now he’s come back in properly he’s almost unplayable at times. He deserves huge credit for keeping his head down and working hard, and KM has managed him superbly.

It makes you wonder what he could do with Sarmiento given more time, as the talent’s there too but a bit further back along the development pathway.

Was talking about this with EdwardStone the other day. Hutchinson too gung-ho at first, wanting to win the match by himself. December time he dialled it back, but a bit too far. Became slightly anonymous. Now he has found the balance and is on fire, being selfless enough to cross when someone else has a better chance, even tho on a hat-trick and we're already five up.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

McKenna and Hutchinson on 21:28 - Mar 18 with 2050 viewsSwansea_Blue

McKenna and Hutchinson on 21:17 - Mar 18 by Guthrum

Was talking about this with EdwardStone the other day. Hutchinson too gung-ho at first, wanting to win the match by himself. December time he dialled it back, but a bit too far. Became slightly anonymous. Now he has found the balance and is on fire, being selfless enough to cross when someone else has a better chance, even tho on a hat-trick and we're already five up.

Almost the perfect performance from him wasn’t it. The way he spun his man and drove forward for the 5th, with a deft setup for Sarmiento’s shot was very unselfish play too. As you say, his decision making has come on leaps and bounds but he’s fully committing to his attacking play now when it can make a difference. It’s lovely to see.

I think I actually prefer him to Conor now in that number 10 role. Maybe Conor adds some more nouse against the better teams though.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

McKenna and Hutchinson on 21:46 - Mar 18 with 1973 viewsWicklowBlue

McKenna and Hutchinson on 20:52 - Mar 18 by le2blue

Whilst Kieran is indeed a genius, I'm sure he would want you to change your title to McKenna and his team. I know Lee Grant in particular has spent a lot of time with Omari coaching him 1:1 with his movement and passing.

The calibre of coaching and performance staff is now at another level at the club. Always remember how Mick refused to use GPS trackers and Andy Liddell saying how Cole Skuse didn't need to be told how to manage his body.

Its light and day, which is also why we're more likely to be trusted with top end premier league loan players.

This!!! The entire coaching team is a massive step up from previous. Yes McK is amazing while the whole coaching staff are a huge part of it too. Dare we cast our memories back to Cooks merry band of coaches?

I've posted this previously, not sure we have ever discussed Martin Pert's part in our success? The experienced assistant manager that just makes a dream team.

IIRC wasn't the discussion that PRP's success with some yellow and green team was linked with Shakespeare?

(Lee Grant must be on cloud 9 with how the season is going !)
McKenna and Hutchinson on 08:45 - Mar 19 with 1505 viewswrightsrightglove

Taken a lad worth £6million who hadn’t played men’s football and turned him into a £20million player in one season. Effectively earning Chelsea £14million alongside paying a big chunk of his wages. He’s also massively contributed to the success of our season so it’s win win for all parties involved but teams will surely be falling over themselves to send their best young players to us next season (assuming KMK is still with us).
McKenna and Hutchinson on 08:59 - Mar 19 with 1453 viewsPinewoodblue

Premier League clubs are going to be lining up to send their talented youngsters to The Ipswich Town finishing school.

Perhaps even clubs from further afield.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Login to get fewer ads

McKenna and Hutchinson on 10:12 - Mar 19 with 1311 viewsGavTWTD

McKenna and Hutchinson on 20:34 - Mar 18 by Swansea_Blue

With an injury to Burns, you can see Hutchinson being a regular starter out wide. I think he's better in the 10 role, but needs must. There might be a knock-on effect that Sarmiento gets more time as a result, but he plays more left.

I think we've got Sarmiento next season regardless which division we're in. I'm sure there was a clause or intent to say if we get promoted then his loan will be extended, but if they see progress and demonstrable results in Hutchinson, then he'd be ours then too if Jezza is up for it.

No idea what happens to Hutchinson next season. Is he now good enough for a bench place at Chelsea? Would we buy him if promoted?

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

McKenna and Hutchinson on 10:20 - Mar 19 with 1285 viewsCBMTOBWMMBG

Agree 100% with the thread

Also shows that the sending club needs to commit to the process.

I suspect we were pretty excited to get Dane Scarlett, and he too could have benefited in a similar way.

But Spurs sent him too late, so no pre-season. They also cup-tied him so he missed chances to play proper matches in the League Cup.
Add that he was always selected in England U20 squads so missed lots of time training with the squad and for personal coaching with McKenna's team.

Then Spurs recalled him, just as he would have had a great opportunity to make an impact in late Dec and January with Hirst's injury, and Ladapo clearly about to leave.

Spurs were muppets.
McKenna and Hutchinson on 11:56 - Mar 19 with 1102 viewsWeWereZombies

McKenna and Hutchinson on 10:12 - Mar 19 by GavTWTD

With an injury to Burns, you can see Hutchinson being a regular starter out wide. I think he's better in the 10 role, but needs must. There might be a knock-on effect that Sarmiento gets more time as a result, but he plays more left.

I think we've got Sarmiento next season regardless which division we're in. I'm sure there was a clause or intent to say if we get promoted then his loan will be extended, but if they see progress and demonstrable results in Hutchinson, then he'd be ours then too if Jezza is up for it.

No idea what happens to Hutchinson next season. Is he now good enough for a bench place at Chelsea? Would we buy him if promoted?

Watching the mixed performance that Raheem Sterling turned in against Leicester at the weekend I would have thought Chelsea will want Omari back to give them an option off the bench when Sterling misfires.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

McKenna and Hutchinson on 12:04 - Mar 19 with 1067 viewsLeoMuff

McKenna and Hutchinson on 10:20 - Mar 19 by CBMTOBWMMBG

I suspect we were pretty excited to get Dane Scarlett, and he too could have benefited in a similar way.

But Spurs sent him too late, so no pre-season. They also cup-tied him so he missed chances to play proper matches in the League Cup.
Add that he was always selected in England U20 squads so missed lots of time training with the squad and for personal coaching with McKenna's team.

Then Spurs recalled him, just as he would have had a great opportunity to make an impact in late Dec and January with Hirst's injury, and Ladapo clearly about to leave.

Spurs were muppets.

Or Omari is just a far better player.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

McKenna and Hutchinson on 12:15 - Mar 19 with 1027 viewsMookamoo

McKenna and Hutchinson on 11:56 - Mar 19 by WeWereZombies

Watching the mixed performance that Raheem Sterling turned in against Leicester at the weekend I would have thought Chelsea will want Omari back to give them an option off the bench when Sterling misfires.

Chukwuemeka and Madueke are getting a lot of game time. Hutchinson must think he has a chance of making it there, especially if Chelsea have to rein in the spending.

Can see them loaning Sterling to someone like Atletico Madrid or PSG next year
McKenna and Hutchinson on 12:27 - Mar 19 with 978 viewsjayessess

I think he's probably the best we've ever developed a loan player. We've had young players who arrived at a higher level than Hutchinson (Ryan Fraser, Tom Lawrence, Gio Dos Santos) and senior pros who happened to be loans (Jim Magilton, Jimmy Bullard) but weren't here to develop.

But the whole setup with Omari - the way we've carefully held him back, giving him space to learn without being too reliant on him, the way we've zeroed in on what he needs to do better - has been outstanding.

Commented after Birmingham that for loan players pre-McKenna Ipswich was a school of hard knocks and now it's more like an elite finishing school: https://jacksaunders.substack.com/p/theres-something-about-omari

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

McKenna and Hutchinson on 12:30 - Mar 19 with 963 viewsKentish_Tractor

It's mad to think (if you believe the rumours) that the Man United players disliked McKenna because they considered him too methodical. Although I think that says more about the type of character in the United dressing room than it does about KMcK. He has proven with virtually every member of the current squad that if you get the right type of character in and build a culture of hard work and improvement, then the sky is the limit under him.

Hutchinson has absolutely bought into that and it is paying dividends. I wish more young footballers these days were like him.

Poll: How often are you refreshing TWTD today?

McKenna and Hutchinson (n/t) on 12:35 - Mar 19 with 937 viewsCBMTOBWMMBG

McKenna and Hutchinson on 12:04 - Mar 19 by LeoMuff

Or Omari is just a far better player.

[Post edited 19 Mar 12:37]
McKenna and Hutchinson on 12:39 - Mar 19 with 904 viewsjayessess

McKenna and Hutchinson on 10:20 - Mar 19 by CBMTOBWMMBG

Spurs were muppets.

Would hope that's a message we can send these clubs when we're borrowing players in the future.

Commit to sending the player in the middle of July and we'll do some magic for you.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024