Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Does anyone a bit more clued up than me... 12:13 - Mar 19 with 2531 viewssjg

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11712/13089224/leicester-facing-potentia

...understand what impact this could have on us? Obviously no points deduction this season but there's a reference to Leicester's rivals at the top of the league considering legal action.
Does anyone a bit more clued up than me... on 12:24 - Mar 19 with 2402 viewsJammyDodgerrr

It will presumably have no impact whatsoever, and if they go up, they will just start with a points deduction, you would imagine.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Does anyone a bit more clued up than me... on 12:26 - Mar 19 with 2378 viewsStokieBlue

It's pretty strange though, Forest have had a points deduction this season for violating the rules in the same season that Leicester have but Leicester won't get a deduction this year.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Does anyone a bit more clued up than me... on 12:27 - Mar 19 with 2366 viewssjg

Does anyone a bit more clued up than me... on 12:24 - Mar 19 by JammyDodgerrr

It will presumably have no impact whatsoever, and if they go up, they will just start with a points deduction, you would imagine.

Seems a bit silly to pursue legal action then
Does anyone a bit more clued up than me... on 12:31 - Mar 19 with 2322 viewsJakeITFC

It is a bit weird/messy that the different rules and limits across divisions are applied to these calculations. Doesn't lead to particularly clear or sensible outcomes from a business planning perspective imo (an example being that Forest would have cleared FFP this time around if they had sold Brennan Johnson for less money earlier on in the accounting period to Brentford as they were subject to lower acceptable losses having come up a year previously (and Brentford weren't)).
Does anyone a bit more clued up than me... on 12:35 - Mar 19 with 2279 viewsPinewoodblue

Does anyone a bit more clued up than me... on 12:26 - Mar 19 by StokieBlue

It's pretty strange though, Forest have had a points deduction this season for violating the rules in the same season that Leicester have but Leicester won't get a deduction this year.

SB

Leicester, not being a current Premier League Club, didn’t have to submit the information that lead to Nottingham Forest points deduction.

Think Everton accounts are under scrutiny this week so they might get a further points deduction before Easter.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Does anyone a bit more clued up than me... on 12:55 - Mar 19 with 2151 viewsChurchman

Does anyone a bit more clued up than me... on 12:35 - Mar 19 by Pinewoodblue

Leicester, not being a current Premier League Club, didn’t have to submit the information that lead to Nottingham Forest points deduction.

Think Everton accounts are under scrutiny this week so they might get a further points deduction before Easter.

I doubt it. Everton are wanted by the big boys. They are reputable fodder. They’ll wheedle out of it. I suspect Forest will too because although they’re far smaller fry than Everton, nobody wants a scabby little club like Luton there.

Is my cynicism justified? Maybe not, but after West Ham got away with playing an ineligible player (the South American bloke with dog bites on his neck) after Swindon a few years before were relegated for exactly the same offence, it seemed to me the punishment was based on who you are not what you did.

Why are Leicester not to be punished this season? They certainly should be. They’ve gained an advantage this season from it. Again, they’re a better option for the PL product than dour Burnley, joke Sheffield United and of course Luton. Maybe there are rules. Maybe not. A mess it most certainly is.
Does anyone a bit more clued up than me... on 13:06 - Mar 19 with 2069 viewsStokieBlue

Does anyone a bit more clued up than me... on 12:35 - Mar 19 by Pinewoodblue

But doesn't that highlight what a terrible system is currently in place?

Leicester should be subject to the exact same rules as Forest for the exact same season. They should have had to submit the information at the same time and they should be punished within the same season as other offenders.

As it stands, a team that is relegated can buy players or sign contracts without any fears of that expenditure falling on them in the following season and then hopefully they will be promoted.

Anything other than Leicester facing a penalty in the same season as other clubs who committed an offence at the same time is clearly unfair and not really fit for purpose.

SB

Does anyone a bit more clued up than me... on 13:07 - Mar 19 with 2070 viewsIllinoisblue

Does anyone a bit more clued up than me... on 12:55 - Mar 19 by Churchman

I doubt it. Everton are wanted by the big boys. They are reputable fodder. They’ll wheedle out of it. I suspect Forest will too because although they’re far smaller fry than Everton, nobody wants a scabby little club like Luton there.

Is my cynicism justified? Maybe not, but after West Ham got away with playing an ineligible player (the South American bloke with dog bites on his neck) after Swindon a few years before were relegated for exactly the same offence, it seemed to me the punishment was based on who you are not what you did.

Why are Leicester not to be punished this season? They certainly should be. They’ve gained an advantage this season from it. Again, they’re a better option for the PL product than dour Burnley, joke Sheffield United and of course Luton. Maybe there are rules. Maybe not. A mess it most certainly is.

I fear football in the future is going to be full of messy appeals, legal threats and clubs paying fines to get out of cheating. It’s going to be awful.

The fact Man City’s charges aren’t due to be heard until this summer and then will drag on appeal until 2025 is beyond a joke.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Login to get fewer ads

Does anyone a bit more clued up than me... on 13:12 - Mar 19 with 2011 viewsJakeITFC

Does anyone a bit more clued up than me... on 13:06 - Mar 19 by StokieBlue

Leicester should be subject to the exact same rules as Forest for the exact same season. They should have had to submit the information at the same time and they should be punished within the same season as other offenders.

As it stands, a team that is relegated can buy players or sign contracts without any fears of that expenditure falling on them in the following season and then hopefully they will be promoted.

Anything other than Leicester facing a penalty in the same season as other clubs who committed an offence at the same time is clearly unfair and not really fit for purpose.

SB

Unfortunately with the Premier League and EFL being separate entities, I think the members of the PL who remain next season would rather have a team start on negative points as opposed to a different team coming up.

The argument should really be that based on this they have broken EFL rules too and should face two punishments, but I don't think the EFL have the stomach for that fight whilst going cap in hand for PL money.
Does anyone a bit more clued up than me... on 13:15 - Mar 19 with 1983 viewsStokieBlue

Does anyone a bit more clued up than me... on 13:12 - Mar 19 by JakeITFC

Unfortunately with the Premier League and EFL being separate entities, I think the members of the PL who remain next season would rather have a team start on negative points as opposed to a different team coming up.

The argument should really be that based on this they have broken EFL rules too and should face two punishments, but I don't think the EFL have the stomach for that fight whilst going cap in hand for PL money.

"Unfortunately with the Premier League and EFL being separate entities, I think the members of the PL who remain next season would rather have a team start on negative points as opposed to a different team coming up."

Which is why it should be taken out of their hands with a regulator. Football is a huge thing in this country and has shown it's unable to self-regulate with any real effectiveness.

Also worth highlighting there is a mechanism in place for EFL clubs to be punished for PL offenses.

"The argument should really be that based on this they have broken EFL rules too and should face two punishments, but I don't think the EFL have the stomach for that fight whilst going cap in hand for PL money."

Another reason why we probably need a regulator.

Nothing is going to happen to Leicester but it should and it's highlighted the mess that the rules are in at the moment.

SB

Does anyone a bit more clued up than me... on 13:30 - Mar 19 with 1837 viewsVegtablue

SB

Hear hear! Leicester have seemingly escaped punishment this season because they were relegated before the EPL revised its timeframe for sanctioning clubs. If they can apply the new timeframe retrospectively to punish Everton and Forest though, why are Leicester exempt?

Maybe Everton and Forest acceded to being tried under the new process on account of how weak the PL is this year, whereas Leicester didn't. This is the perfect season to be punished if you're not chasing Europe.
Does anyone a bit more clued up than me... on 13:39 - Mar 19 with 1756 viewsSwansea_Blue

SB

100% this. I'm hoping the plans for a new independent regulator might iron out some of these discrepancies. All teams should be treated the same.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Does anyone a bit more clued up than me... on 17:15 - Mar 19 with 1430 viewsWestSussexBlue

They’re living outside their means, utilising players and facilities against the other 23 clubs in this division during the course of a season that they shouldn’t have been allowed to purchase.
It’s an unfair advantage to which they should be punished accordingly, next season is too late in my opinion.
Does anyone a bit more clued up than me... on 17:43 - Mar 19 with 1338 viewsFrimleyBlue

I just think the rules should be

Spend a certain % of your turnover.

If relegated. Parachute money does not allow you to spend the money made by selling players. With each sale the money made comes off your parachute payment. Therefore it stops clubs like Leicester buying players for 10 mill just because they sold one for 30.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Does anyone a bit more clued up than me... on 17:46 - Mar 19 with 1331 viewsPinewoodblue

Does anyone a bit more clued up than me... on 13:15 - Mar 19 by StokieBlue

"Unfortunately with the Premier League and EFL being separate entities, I think the members of the PL who remain next season would rather have a team start on negative points as opposed to a different team coming up."

Which is why it should be taken out of their hands with a regulator. Football is a huge thing in this country and has shown it's unable to self-regulate with any real effectiveness.

Also worth highlighting there is a mechanism in place for EFL clubs to be punished for PL offenses.

"The argument should really be that based on this they have broken EFL rules too and should face two punishments, but I don't think the EFL have the stomach for that fight whilst going cap in hand for PL money."

Another reason why we probably need a regulator.

Nothing is going to happen to Leicester but it should and it's highlighted the mess that the rules are in at the moment.

SB

Leicester accounts for 2022/23 should be published by end of March. Reckon that, if it is deemed appropriate, they start next season in Premier League with a points deduction. Be interesting to see, should they fail to gain promotion, how EFL deals with them.

2023 year of destiny

Does anyone a bit more clued up than me... on 06:58 - Mar 20 with 976 viewsbluestandard

Does anyone a bit more clued up than me... on 12:27 - Mar 19 by sjg

Seems a bit silly to pursue legal action then

I might be wrong, but I’m sure I remember seeing legal action in the past between teams in similar situations leading to financial compensation which was completely independent of the leagues punishment. If that’s the case, it’s very important we enforce our contractual rights, because presumably any damages we win would help FFP. I think it will be interesting to see if we have a case for damages though, given the loophole in EFL financial regulations.
Does anyone a bit more clued up than me... on 08:54 - Mar 20 with 856 viewsOldFart71

Firstly I want Town to win promotion without default. That shows we genuinely deserve it. But my take on the Fair Play Rules is as with so many things these days a shambles. You have the likes of Manchester City charge with over 100 violations of the rules. Nothing done yet. You then have Everton , deducted points and after appeal some points reinstated. Nottingham Forest deducted points so they go into the bottom three, but may appeal. But the points situation may mean a team that is relegated after the season is finished. A relegated team get's away with it because they are not in the same Division when breaking the rules. Who makes these stupid rules that only covers parts of a problem. All you have to do is state that if rules are broken points will be deducted. Unfortunately because of the complexities surrounding what is deemed as an overspend and also the legal backing of some clubs it makes a mockery of the rules.
Does anyone a bit more clued up than me... on 09:25 - Mar 20 with 778 viewsBlueBlood90

In an ideal world, we go up alongside Leicester and then they start next season with a points deduction.

Poll: Do you think we have a stronger squad this season or last season?

Does anyone a bit more clued up than me... on 10:13 - Mar 20 with 705 viewsPinewoodblue

Does anyone a bit more clued up than me... on 09:25 - Mar 20 by BlueBlood90

In an ideal world, we go up alongside Leicester and then they start next season with a points deduction.

With Luton & Blades avoiding the drop.

2023 year of destiny

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024