Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? 19:47 - Mar 20 with 6804 viewsArnieM

They play Halifax. And there are just 6 games left after tonight's game and I think they're 21 points ahead of next team. Awesome season for them tbh....

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 19:51 - Mar 20 with 3697 viewsBlueBadger

Nice to see that he's found his level.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 19:58 - Mar 20 with 3660 viewsgordon

Sounds like a pretty good season for Dobra, be interesting to see whether he gets a move back up to League One or higher standard this summer.
Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 20:36 - Mar 20 with 3561 viewsheavyweight

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 19:58 - Mar 20 by gordon

Sounds like a pretty good season for Dobra, be interesting to see whether he gets a move back up to League One or higher standard this summer.

The BBC have Dobra lined up as a CB tonight - would that be right ?

Chesterfield 2-1 down
Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 20:38 - Mar 20 with 3542 viewsITFC_Forever

Second place don’t play tonight, so Cook needs a point.

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 20:44 - Mar 20 with 3519 viewsgordon

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 20:36 - Mar 20 by heavyweight

The BBC have Dobra lined up as a CB tonight - would that be right ?

Chesterfield 2-1 down

Bailey Clements down as right-wing as well!
Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 20:45 - Mar 20 with 3518 viewsArnieM

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 20:38 - Mar 20 by ITFC_Forever

Second place don’t play tonight, so Cook needs a point.

Doesn’t look like he’s going to get it. 3-1 down now…. Pressure does things to you doesn’t it. So close to that line….. just needing to get over it. They’ll do it, just not tonight it seems.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 21:19 - Mar 20 with 3366 viewsIllinoisblue

4-1. Chucked it so they can get promoted at home Saturday.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 22:32 - Mar 20 with 3216 viewsSwansea_Blue

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 21:19 - Mar 20 by Illinoisblue

4-1. Chucked it so they can get promoted at home Saturday.

4-2 final score. It’d been rather amusing if they bottled it from here (they won’t of course).

I’m pleased for him. It seemed like his heart was in the right place even if he was out of his depth here. He had a good eye for a player (or pulled together a team who did). Just a shame he didn’t really know how to get the team playing as a team.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 00:08 - Mar 21 with 3096 viewsIllinoisblue

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 22:32 - Mar 20 by Swansea_Blue

4-2 final score. It’d been rather amusing if they bottled it from here (they won’t of course).

I’m pleased for him. It seemed like his heart was in the right place even if he was out of his depth here. He had a good eye for a player (or pulled together a team who did). Just a shame he didn’t really know how to get the team playing as a team.

Of all the Pauls definitely the best. Seems like a decent fella. Pleased for him.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 07:35 - Mar 21 with 2838 viewstazdac

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 00:08 - Mar 21 by Illinoisblue

Of all the Pauls definitely the best. Seems like a decent fella. Pleased for him.

The best Paul? Is that like winning the tallest dwarf contest? ;o)
Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 08:03 - Mar 21 with 2764 viewsChurchman

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 00:08 - Mar 21 by Illinoisblue

I’m pleased for him too. Seems a nice bloke, committed to his job and good at what he does. Certainly knows a good player when he sees one.

Sadly, this was the wrong job at the wrong time for him. I’m sure many of us have had that experience in our working worlds at some time or another. It happens.

Well done Mr Cook and all those with ITFC connections.
Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 08:27 - Mar 21 with 2697 viewsZapers

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 19:51 - Mar 20 by BlueBadger

He’s far better than what you give him credit for mr clueless.
Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 08:32 - Mar 21 with 2665 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 19:51 - Mar 20 by BlueBadger

Hey football expert

Lets ask Morsy, Chaplin and Walton if they agree with you. I am sure their opinion of Cook is totally different and you are just a .....hmmmmm.....let them say who you are.

hE sHoUlD hAvE BeEn mOrE rEsPeCtFuL tO tHe cErTaIn fAnTaStIc pRoFeSsIoNaLs, eH?

[Post edited 21 Mar 8:35]
Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 08:34 - Mar 21 with 2661 viewsHerbivore

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 08:27 - Mar 21 by Zapers

He’s far better than what you give him credit for mr clueless.

Shame he never showed it here.

I don't have any ill will towards him, seemed like he wasn't a bad guy, but I couldn't give two sh!ts what he does with his career from here. He was clueless and classless in his first half a season here, not much better thereafter. Kept hearing the same excuses about it being the players' fault even after he'd cleared out the entire squad and brought in his own players.

Reminded me a bit of Jewell in that we occasionally turned up out of the blue and battered someone, but more often we looked a disorganised rabble. Important to note Jewell was doing it at a higher level without the competitive advantage of having the biggest budget in the division. Jewell also showed some acknowledgement that maybe he was the problem rather than throwing players under the bus constantly. Essentially, not sure I agree he was the best Paul, probably the least dislikeable overall but in terms of managerial performance he was just another Paul.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 08:44 - Mar 21 with 2619 viewstractorshark

Cook was undone at Ipswich by 2 things in my opinion.

Firstly, he opted for a Scouse mafia coaching team that, at the time, was inexperienced and out of its depth.

Secondly, he made a rod for his own back with the demolition man comments. Once he ripped up the squad and got the players he wanted, he had nowhere to hide and very little goodwill in the bank when it didn’t go right. Tub thumping will only appease the fans for so long.

But you have to give him some credit for his recruitment. Morsy, Chaplin etc.

That said, good players still need good coaching. And McKenna has undoubtedly shown the value of that.
Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 09:08 - Mar 21 with 2539 viewsChurchman

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 08:34 - Mar 21 by Herbivore

Shame he never showed it here.

I don't have any ill will towards him, seemed like he wasn't a bad guy, but I couldn't give two sh!ts what he does with his career from here. He was clueless and classless in his first half a season here, not much better thereafter. Kept hearing the same excuses about it being the players' fault even after he'd cleared out the entire squad and brought in his own players.

Reminded me a bit of Jewell in that we occasionally turned up out of the blue and battered someone, but more often we looked a disorganised rabble. Important to note Jewell was doing it at a higher level without the competitive advantage of having the biggest budget in the division. Jewell also showed some acknowledgement that maybe he was the problem rather than throwing players under the bus constantly. Essentially, not sure I agree he was the best Paul, probably the least dislikeable overall but in terms of managerial performance he was just another Paul.

I can’t disagree with any of that, but I still wish him well - without caring one way or the other. He did his best, but was not up to the job. Out of his depth.

I never cared who he appointed as coaches as some did on here at the time. He could have employed the Teletubbies for all it mattered; it was all down to him. We were all over the place.

I’d not thought about the Jewell comparison. There’s a lot in that. Despite operating at a lower level, I think Cook was a better manager. PJ had his success at Wigan (well backed), but was awful everywhere else. Cook has done well at third tier downwards. Could he operate at Championship level? No idea but he certainly couldn’t manage here with the way the club was being structured.

And yes, it’s easy to forget how dreadful Cook was. I never doubted most of that squad had to go, but the way he went about it was crude, wasteful and self defeating. When he publicly blew up after the Wimbledon and Northampton down-tools matches, I began to wonder about him. Then the way he went about it seasons end - oh dear. He had the opportunity of a lifetime here and blew it.

I was relieved when he went. I was in the give him a chance to the end of October camp. Wrong. With hindsight they should have fired him at the end of the previous season. How you do that when you’ve only just bought the club and your CEO walks in the door June 1st I’ve no idea.

Thanks Evans, your decision bring Cook in when you did was yet another pitiful decision.
[Post edited 21 Mar 9:13]
Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 09:11 - Mar 21 with 2522 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Think their run of results just show they've been on the beach for a while. They've basically had the league won for three months or so now, given how imperious they were in the first half of the season and it must be quite difficult to motivate the players. Be good to see Chesterfield back in the football league.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 09:29 - Mar 21 with 2458 viewsitfcjoe

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 09:08 - Mar 21 by Churchman

I can’t disagree with any of that, but I still wish him well - without caring one way or the other. He did his best, but was not up to the job. Out of his depth.

I never cared who he appointed as coaches as some did on here at the time. He could have employed the Teletubbies for all it mattered; it was all down to him. We were all over the place.

I’d not thought about the Jewell comparison. There’s a lot in that. Despite operating at a lower level, I think Cook was a better manager. PJ had his success at Wigan (well backed), but was awful everywhere else. Cook has done well at third tier downwards. Could he operate at Championship level? No idea but he certainly couldn’t manage here with the way the club was being structured.

And yes, it’s easy to forget how dreadful Cook was. I never doubted most of that squad had to go, but the way he went about it was crude, wasteful and self defeating. When he publicly blew up after the Wimbledon and Northampton down-tools matches, I began to wonder about him. Then the way he went about it seasons end - oh dear. He had the opportunity of a lifetime here and blew it.

I was relieved when he went. I was in the give him a chance to the end of October camp. Wrong. With hindsight they should have fired him at the end of the previous season. How you do that when you’ve only just bought the club and your CEO walks in the door June 1st I’ve no idea.

Thanks Evans, your decision bring Cook in when you did was yet another pitiful decision.

Paul Jewell also did an excellent job at Bradford as well, as he beat us to promotion like he did at Wigan! 2 great jobs and other rubbish ones elsewhere

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 09:37 - Mar 21 with 2428 viewsChurchman

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 09:29 - Mar 21 by itfcjoe

Paul Jewell also did an excellent job at Bradford as well, as he beat us to promotion like he did at Wigan! 2 great jobs and other rubbish ones elsewhere

Fair do’s. Forgot about Bradford. Or maybe I was trying to erase the memory of yet another last day hope dashed! People with radios, false rumours and ultimate disappointment.
Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 09:40 - Mar 21 with 2413 viewstractorshark

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 09:29 - Mar 21 by itfcjoe

Jewell was a better manager than Cook, even if I agree he was equally chaotic at Ipswich.

His record is significantly more superior because it was achieved at a higher level.

I never wanted Cook as manager, I felt Ipswich fans were seduced by the two Cup games we played against Pompey and just assumed he was excellent.

But my Pompey mates told me at the time he messed up one promotion with a squad that should have romped League Two and was tactically flawed.

That said, I think the alternative was the Cowleys at the time and their career path has not exactly gone smoothly.

It just shows how hazardous managerial recruitment is. And how important it is to look at the ceiling of a candidate rather than their past achievements.
Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 10:51 - Mar 21 with 2251 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Why was it crude? The players and player-power was a problem of the dressing room under him, Lambert and Hurst. The players would leech off the club as there was no pressure whatsoever from Evans.
Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 10:59 - Mar 21 with 2220 viewsSteve_M

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 10:51 - Mar 21 by Mach_foreignBlue

Why was it crude? The players and player-power was a problem of the dressing room under him, Lambert and Hurst. The players would leech off the club as there was no pressure whatsoever from Evans.

Given it was all down to those players, things must have improved as soon as they were gone then...

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 11:04 - Mar 21 with 2198 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 10:59 - Mar 21 by Steve_M

Given it was all down to those players, things must have improved as soon as they were gone then...

Had they been performing and playing for the shirt he probably wouldn't have had to do the Demolition Job and sign 16 players. Maybe 8-9 but not 16.

Too many new players and he eventually failed.
[Post edited 21 Mar 11:05]
Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 11:23 - Mar 21 with 2140 viewstractorboy1978

Whatever way you cut it, we are a millions times better off now than at the end of that 2020/21 season.

Was Cook crude? Probably. Have any of those he got rid of bar Downes gone on to do anything? No. If he hadn't been here, would we have signed Morsy or Chaplin? No. That summer is part of our journey and if he'd done a bit better on the pitch, we wouldn't have McKenna now. I certainly have no regrets about how any of it has panned out.
[Post edited 21 Mar 11:25]
Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 11:29 - Mar 21 with 2104 viewsPioneerBlue

Good luck to him, I’m sure it’s a matter of a game or two and they secure promotion. I have nothing against Paul Cook, it didn’t work out here at ITFC but he swept the decks which was long needed, and he was part of furnishing us with key performers in last years and the current squad.

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024