Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Happy St Chaplow’s Day 09:48 - Mar 21 with 1594 viewstractorshark

No idea how to post the clip but still one of my favourite away days. Proper limbs that day
Happy St Chaplow’s Day on 09:49 - Mar 21 with 1589 viewsReuser_is_God

Embarrassing that this anniversary is still celebrated.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Happy St Chaplow’s Day on 09:54 - Mar 21 with 1553 viewsMattinLondon

Happy St Chaplow’s Day on 09:49 - Mar 21 by Reuser_is_God

Agree with what you said but here it is anyway.

Happy St Chaplow’s Day on 09:57 - Mar 21 with 1544 viewstractorshark

It’s not celebrated, it’s enjoyed.

It’s a happy memory. What’s wrong with that?
Happy St Chaplow’s Day on 10:10 - Mar 21 with 1495 viewsHerbivore

I was there, cracking away day that.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Happy St Chaplow’s Day on 10:46 - Mar 21 with 1438 viewsDinnernotTea

Happy St Chaplow’s Day on 09:57 - Mar 21 by tractorshark

It’s not celebrated, it’s enjoyed.

It’s a happy memory. What’s wrong with that?

Because how this club has been for the last 2 years it highlights just how tinpot it is to even mention it. That season ended in misery and we nosedived into mid table in the third tier thereafter. Block out 2015 - 2021 and all that happened. Horrible times.

Beware of The Ipswich Cabbages

Happy St Chaplow’s Day on 11:10 - Mar 21 with 1376 viewsdirtyboy

Happy St Chaplow’s Day on 10:46 - Mar 21 by DinnernotTea

Because how this club has been for the last 2 years it highlights just how tinpot it is to even mention it. That season ended in misery and we nosedived into mid table in the third tier thereafter. Block out 2015 - 2021 and all that happened. Horrible times.

Doesn't mean it wasn't a great day.

Did half a bottle of Tanqueray on the way to Liverpool st, have no idea what pub we were in, but stickered up policeman, blue smoke, youngsters hanging from light fittings......recollection of how I got to Vicarage road has departed as did much of the first half, but the kid like joys of people 'playing' inflatable guitars, arguing over who's blow up dinosaur is best and sobering up enough to enjoy the wonders of a last minute goal will never leave me.

That day. That moment, was still one of the best days out regardless of the season overall.

Watching your team win will always be an enjoyable end to the day no matter what or when.
Happy St Chaplow’s Day on 11:40 - Mar 21 with 1293 viewsfarkenhell

Happy St Chaplow’s Day on 09:54 - Mar 21 by MattinLondon

Agree with what you said but here it is anyway.

Only 2000 away fans? Pah!
Happy St Chaplow’s Day on 11:44 - Mar 21 with 1279 viewsLowroadBlue

It shows that we didn’t have many days to celebrate at that time, nevertheless it was a great day out. When we scored my glasses somehow landed about 3 rows back, one lense came out and spent the rest of the day looking through one lense.

Great away day.
Login to get fewer ads

Happy St Chaplow’s Day on 12:27 - Mar 21 with 1193 viewsITFC_Forever

To be fair, there's nothing wrong with remembering what was a great day out amongst 20 years of 99% dross.

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Happy St Chaplow’s Day on 13:07 - Mar 21 with 1131 viewsBluish

That 'Pirlo-esque' ball from Tabb though
Happy St Chaplow’s Day on 13:53 - Mar 21 with 1056 viewsTresBonne

Alright fun police.
Happy St Chaplow’s Day on 15:30 - Mar 21 with 968 viewstractorshark

Happy St Chaplow’s Day on 10:46 - Mar 21 by DinnernotTea

They were tough times but dismissing it from the memory is the sort of thing fairweather fans do.
Let me make this very clear, not for one second am I saying you're one of those. But it's no secret that 8,000-10,000 fans have popped out of the woodwork in the last couple of years because we've had a bit of success. And most of them will vanish when, inevitably, the wheel turns and the club experiences failure again.
You're right, 2015-21 was hard being a Town fan but that makes moments like Chaplow's goal all the more special.
It wasn't the football, it was the moment, the last minute goal, the significance of that result at the time and the sheer unbridled joy on the terraces.
I've watched Bobby Robson's teams as a youngster, gone home and away with John Duncan and John Lyall, enjoyed the Burley years and suffered all the rest in between.
Bizarrely, my favourite seasons were 1989-91 because it was the first year I could attend pretty much every game. The football wasn't great but I loved the camaraderie on the terraces, the train journeys to far flung places like Hull and Port Vale.
They are probably my happiest memories as a Town fan because I knew everyone around me was supporting the club through thick and thin.
And when we did go up in 91-92 it made everything all worth it.
McKenna's football is a joy to watch and I, like you, will obviously look back on these two seasons with fondness regardless of the outcome of this current campaign.
But when we all sing each week about following the Town whether we're up or down, then why shouldn't we still enjoy moments like Chaplow's goal?
[Post edited 21 Mar 15:56]
Happy St Chaplow’s Day on 15:52 - Mar 21 with 952 viewsRadlett_blue

Happy St Chaplow’s Day on 15:30 - Mar 21 by tractorshark

They were tough times but dismissing it from the memory is the sort of thing fairweather fans do.
Let me make this very clear, not for one second am I saying you're one of those. But it's no secret that 8,000-10,000 fans have popped out of the woodwork in the last couple of years because we've had a bit of success. And most of them will vanish when, inevitably, the wheel turns and the club experiences failure again.
You're right, 2015-21 was hard being a Town fan but that makes moments like Chaplow's goal all the more special.
It wasn't the football, it was the moment, the last minute goal, the significance of that result at the time and the sheer unbridled joy on the terraces.
I've watched Bobby Robson's teams as a youngster, gone home and away with John Duncan and John Lyall, enjoyed the Burley years and suffered all the rest in between.
Bizarrely, my favourite seasons were 1989-91 because it was the first year I could attend pretty much every game. The football wasn't great but I loved the camaraderie on the terraces, the train journeys to far flung places like Hull and Port Vale.
They are probably my happiest memories as a Town fan because I knew everyone around me was supporting the club through thick and thin.
McKenna's football is a joy to watch and I, like you, will obviously look back on these two seasons with fondness regardless of the outcome of this current campaign.
But when we all sing each week about following the Town whether we're up or down, then why shouldn't we still enjoy moments like Chaplow's goal?

Post of the day.
Town have been a tough watch for most of the last 20 years, but enduring that & continuing to support the club makes the good times all the sweeter, in contrast to the armchair supporters of Man U & Chelsea, who still continually bitch about how inept their owners or managers are.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Happy St Chaplow’s Day on 16:00 - Mar 21 with 911 viewsSteve_M

Happy St Chaplow’s Day on 12:27 - Mar 21 by ITFC_Forever

To be fair, there's nothing wrong with remembering what was a great day out amongst 20 years of 99% dross.

There were plenty of good days that season though, not quite sure why Noel Hunt's goal at Charlton or the win at Brentford are largely forgotten about, same goes for Boro (Tabb goal aside) and Leeds in December which were excellent wins in front of a vibrant PR crowd.

The late - very critical - win over Forest in April was good too,

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Happy St Chaplow’s Day on 17:01 - Mar 21 with 857 viewsDinnernotTea

First season was 1991. If you don't want to erase 2015 - 2021 from your memory then I find it odd. ITFC is my obsession and during that period we were beaten and abused by all corners. It hurt then and still hurts now.

A bang average player scored a winner vs a bang average football club in March. I just cannot understand how this gets brought up every year.

Beware of The Ipswich Cabbages

Happy St Chaplow’s Day on 17:12 - Mar 21 with 833 viewsjasondozzell

Fantastic post and spot on in every way.
The wonderful football and the transformation of the club over the last few years is made even sweeter because of what can before (the good and the bad)

It was a brilliant end to a great away day and i think one of the reasons was the nature of the goal - we could see it was on from the moment it was hooked clear and Freddie played Chaplow in.

I remember some Town fans back at the spoons (moon under water?) who had left early and missed it! Never understood that.
Happy St Chaplow’s Day on 17:44 - Mar 21 with 784 viewsnorth_stand77

Loved that clip, I was at home listening on the radio and remember that feeling of pure excitement ........and running round the house screaming!

Moments like that along the way are worth seeing again, I've been going 56 years so had a vast mixture of emotions in that time and still 'feel it'.

The Macaughly Bonne moment always makes me giggle.
Happy St Chaplow’s Day on 19:02 - Mar 21 with 733 viewsRadlett_blue

Happy St Chaplow’s Day on 17:12 - Mar 21 by jasondozzell

Fantastic post and spot on in every way.
The wonderful football and the transformation of the club over the last few years is made even sweeter because of what can before (the good and the bad)

It was a brilliant end to a great away day and i think one of the reasons was the nature of the goal - we could see it was on from the moment it was hooked clear and Freddie played Chaplow in.

I remember some Town fans back at the spoons (moon under water?) who had left early and missed it! Never understood that.

The Moon Under Water is a terrible pub, but that's about par for the course for Watford.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Happy St Chaplow’s Day on 19:53 - Mar 21 with 689 viewsjasondozzell

Happy St Chaplow’s Day on 19:02 - Mar 21 by Radlett_blue

The Moon Under Water is a terrible pub, but that's about par for the course for Watford.

Yes, not the nicest establishment...😁

Funny old team that side. Sheer effort and will winning matches. McCarthy knew how to organise a side, will give him that.
Happy St Chaplow’s Day on 08:38 - Mar 22 with 546 viewsHerbivore

Happy St Chaplow’s Day on 19:53 - Mar 21 by jasondozzell

Yes, not the nicest establishment...😁

Funny old team that side. Sheer effort and will winning matches. McCarthy knew how to organise a side, will give him that.

When everyone was fit that 2014/15 side was decent to watch. Unfortunately for the second half of the season, Didz was our and Bishop wasn't fit to play every week. Taking those two out of the side made us a lot less dynamic and easy on the eye and we were relying on grinding it out to get over the line for the play offs rather than sustaining an automatic promotion push.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024