Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tories taking on the big issues again 15:10 - Mar 27 with 2275 viewsElderGrizzly

Tories taking on the big issues again on 18:38 - Mar 27 with 608 viewsRadlett_blue

Tories taking on the big issues again on 18:32 - Mar 27 by jayessess

It is a bit of an odd one, especially for a Conservative, who you would presume is a free marketeer by ideology. What's the government got to do with locating Fish and Chip Shops?

Does fit with a theory that I've had for a while now, that actually at least some of the "decline" that people discern in their local area is often just the changing economics/logistics of retail shopping.

Indeed, high streets are slowly dying across Britain, populated largely by estate agents & charity shops. The advent of out of town shopping centres & then the internet are the reasons, as well as sky high business rates in some areas (especially Radlett).

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Tories taking on the big issues again on 19:15 - Mar 27 with 585 viewsjayessess

Tories taking on the big issues again on 18:38 - Mar 27 by Radlett_blue

Indeed, high streets are slowly dying across Britain, populated largely by estate agents & charity shops. The advent of out of town shopping centres & then the internet are the reasons, as well as sky high business rates in some areas (especially Radlett).

It's one of the things that made the whole "levelling up" thing so specious. It imagined great swathes of Northern England suffering from long-term economic decline and that a Tory government was going to swoop in and supercharge the local economy with lots of high quality new jobs.

But no one really knows how to do that kind of sub-regional development and a lot of the people voting for it weren't actually unemployed workers in need of good work, but home-owning retirees who just wanted the local shops to be a bit nicer.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Tories taking on the big issues again on 20:59 - Mar 27 with 551 viewsIllinoisblue

It’s almost as if he’s a hypocrite and a charlatan:

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Tories taking on the big issues again on 22:00 - Mar 27 with 484 viewsElderGrizzly

Edit: hadn’t seen Illy’s post.

The Tories never anticipate the receipts do they? 😂
[Post edited 27 Mar 22:01]
Tories taking on the big issues again on 00:26 - Mar 28 with 441 viewsEireannach_gorm

Tories taking on the big issues again on 16:37 - Mar 27 by Keno

in a way you have to feel sorry for the Tory MPs, they just know come the election they are going to get battered

Dont rub salt into the wounds ( just use vinegar! ).
Tories taking on the big issues again on 08:38 - Mar 28 with 371 viewsGeoffSentence

Tories taking on the big issues again on 15:21 - Mar 27 by mutters

Looks like he's a local MP trying to help at a grass root level. Probably raise by a local constituent.

There are plenty of reasons to bash the conservatives, but this feels a bit of a reach to berate him for this?

Did you not read the community note?

"As a member of the planning committee, in 2019 Steve Tuckwell voted against a fish and chip shop opening on Windsor Street in Uxbridge Town Centre. "

He absolutely deserves to be bashed for this.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Tories taking on the big issues again on 08:46 - Mar 28 with 365 viewsDanTheMan

Tories taking on the big issues again on 08:38 - Mar 28 by GeoffSentence

Did you not read the community note?

"As a member of the planning committee, in 2019 Steve Tuckwell voted against a fish and chip shop opening on Windsor Street in Uxbridge Town Centre. "

He absolutely deserves to be bashed for this.

I'm sure it has absolutely nothing to do with the box under the form stating...

I agree to Steve Tuckwell using the contact information I provide to keep me updated via email and telephone on this and other issues until further notice. I understand the information I provide will be used in accordance with the Data Protection and Privacy Policy, so that I may hear from Steve Tuckwell or their Party affiliates. By ticking this box I agree to my personal data being used in accordance with that policy.

You have to tick it of course, but I imagine most people won't realise it is optional.
[Post edited 28 Mar 8:46]

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Tories taking on the big issues again on 08:48 - Mar 28 with 355 viewsredrickstuhaart

Tories taking on the big issues again on 08:46 - Mar 28 by DanTheMan

I agree to Steve Tuckwell using the contact information I provide to keep me updated via email and telephone on this and other issues until further notice. I understand the information I provide will be used in accordance with the Data Protection and Privacy Policy, so that I may hear from Steve Tuckwell or their Party affiliates. By ticking this box I agree to my personal data being used in accordance with that policy.

You have to tick it of course, but I imagine most people won't realise it is optional.

I wonder if he actually has a policy and what steps are taken to safeguard this data....
Login to get fewer ads

Tories taking on the big issues again on 08:55 - Mar 28 with 328 viewsDanTheMan

Tories taking on the big issues again on 08:48 - Mar 28 by redrickstuhaart

I wonder if he actually has a policy and what steps are taken to safeguard this data....

He does, but it seems most of the work is then done by "Bluetree Digital Services".

https://www.steve-tuckwell.uk/privacy
https://www.conservativewebsites.org.uk/

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Tories taking on the big issues again on 09:04 - Mar 28 with 310 viewsGeoffSentence

Tories taking on the big issues again on 08:46 - Mar 28 by DanTheMan

Ah, yes, the the old Tory data gathering trick.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Tories taking on the big issues again on 09:30 - Mar 28 with 266 viewsDJR

Tories taking on the big issues again on 09:04 - Mar 28 by GeoffSentence

Ah, yes, the the old Tory data gathering trick.

Interestingly, even without such data gathering, it is possible to make targeted political ads through Facebook based on the data that Facebook harvests.

https://news.sky.com/story/voters-braced-for-deluge-of-facebook-and-instagram-me

Such ads were used to great effect before Trump was elected, and during the Vote Leave campaign, with the following from the linked article.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44966969#:~:text=The%20official%20Vote%20

"The official Vote Leave campaign spent more than £2.7m on targeting ads at specific groups of people on Facebook - helping it to win the 2016 EU referendum.

The ads, created by Canadian company Aggregate AIQ, often focused on specific issues - such as immigration or animal rights - thought likely to push the buttons of certain groups of people, based on their age, where they lived and other personal data taken from social media and other sources."
[Post edited 28 Mar 9:31]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024