Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Scotch drinkers 17:26 - Mar 28 with 1904 viewsMullet

Been kindly gifted a bottle of Glen Scotia Double Cask. Not one for Scotch generally, love bourbon as a rule.

Anyone here had it? Looks like a nice bottle of stuff but it's not something I've had and I don't want it to go to waste.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Scotch drinkers on 17:35 - Mar 28 with 1674 viewshomer_123

It's a very decent tipple Mullers.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Scotch drinkers on 17:38 - Mar 28 with 1655 viewsMullet

Scotch drinkers on 17:35 - Mar 28 by homer_123

It's a very decent tipple Mullers.

So it will pair with the Pepsi Max nicely then?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Scotch drinkers on 17:58 - Mar 28 with 1611 viewsKeno

Scotch drinkers on 17:38 - Mar 28 by Mullet

So it will pair with the Pepsi Max nicely then?

if you what to be as classy and sophisticated like me they mix it with Cherry Luzcoade

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Scotch drinkers on 18:01 - Mar 28 with 1603 viewsstonojnr

It's been matured in bourbon casks, then sherry hence double cask.

You should like it. But don't put coke in it
Scotch drinkers on 18:04 - Mar 28 with 1589 viewsKeno

Scotch drinkers on 18:01 - Mar 28 by stonojnr

not coke but Cherry Luzcoade is ok

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Scotch drinkers on 18:18 - Mar 28 with 1537 viewsPerublue

Is Irish whiskey or is it whisky ? also called Scotch ?

Poll: Rugby World Cup Winner ?

Scotch drinkers on 18:31 - Mar 28 with 1507 viewsjayessess

Scotch drinkers on 18:01 - Mar 28 by stonojnr

Yeah, from the description on their website it'll taste as much like bourbon as you'll get from a Scottish distillery.
[Post edited 28 Mar 18:32]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Scotch drinkers on 19:00 - Mar 28 with 1450 viewsChurchman

Never tried it but looking at the views it looks good! Enjoy!
Login to get fewer ads

Scotch drinkers on 19:35 - Mar 28 with 1374 viewsBasuco

I do like a Speyside single malt, is yours a peaty malt? The golden rule is DO NOT MIX IT WITH ANYTHING! Sorry, did I shout that a bit loud. I personally do not like the peaty single malts, but it is a matter of taste. Enjoy.
Scotch drinkers on 19:53 - Mar 28 with 1317 viewsChurchman

Scotch drinkers on 19:35 - Mar 28 by Basuco

I do like a Speyside single malt, is yours a peaty malt? The golden rule is DO NOT MIX IT WITH ANYTHING! Sorry, did I shout that a bit loud. I personally do not like the peaty single malts, but it is a matter of taste. Enjoy.

Single malt whiskies should never have anything mixed with them. They are a joy just as they are.

Favourites? Too many to mention but a few good uns for me are Glenlivet, Talisker and Mrs C has just given me a bottle of Singleton for Easter (instead of Chocolate).

Ice is fine with things like American Southern Comfort, JD, Makers Mark and Knob Creek
Scotch drinkers on 06:59 - Mar 29 with 1124 viewsazuremerlangus

Other than a drop of water adding anything else is just a waste of single malt (and money). If you prefer spirit + mixer drinks then there are better and cheaper options than single malts.

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

Scotch drinkers on 07:57 - Mar 29 with 1056 viewsnodge_blue

Can I highly recommend Tennessee Fire.

It's a JD with cinnamon added.

Gives it really nice kick.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Scotch drinkers on 08:17 - Mar 29 with 1029 viewsChorleyBoy

Completely agree.

Bourbon on the other hand is better with ice and accompanied with a side serving of M&Ms or Jolly Ranchers.
Scotch drinkers on 08:25 - Mar 29 with 1013 viewsNthQldITFC

Scotch drinkers on 18:18 - Mar 28 by Perublue

Is Irish whiskey or is it whisky ? also called Scotch ?

Does Scottish whisky get as offended if you call it Scottish, as Scotch people do if you call them Scotch?
[Post edited 29 Mar 8:33]

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Scotch drinkers on 09:37 - Mar 29 with 958 viewsWeWereZombies

Scotch drinkers on 07:57 - Mar 29 by nodge_blue

Can I highly recommend Tennessee Fire.

It's a JD with cinnamon added.

Gives it really nice kick.

I think this highlights the difference between Bourbon and Scotch, the latter doesn't need anything added to satisfy the palate.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Scotch drinkers on 10:15 - Mar 29 with 907 viewsSwansea_Blue

Scotch drinkers on 08:25 - Mar 29 by NthQldITFC

Does Scottish whisky get as offended if you call it Scottish, as Scotch people do if you call them Scotch?
[Post edited 29 Mar 8:33]

The Scotch are good eggs really

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Scotch drinkers on 10:26 - Mar 29 with 895 viewsBlueDouglas

Scotch drinkers on 09:37 - Mar 29 by WeWereZombies

I think this highlights the difference between Bourbon and Scotch, the latter doesn't need anything added to satisfy the palate.

i think there's some good bourbon out there, not that i've tried it - anyone had this?:

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/old-rip-van-winkle/old-rip-van-winkle-10-y
Scotch drinkers on 10:43 - Mar 29 with 872 viewsChorleyBoy

Bourbon is alcoholic jelly babies for Hyundai drivers.
Scotch drinkers on 11:00 - Mar 29 with 835 viewsjayessess

Massively depends on the bourbon and the scotch, doesn't it? Both massive spirit categories that range hugely in quality!

One thing I'd say about Scotch is that part of what you are paying for is the status of scotch. If I were dropping £40-60 on something really lovely but not ridiculously priced, I'd be looking at bourbon, tequila or rum, because more of my money is going towards the quality of the drink and less on the brand/idea of Scotch.

Scotch drinkers on 12:31 - Mar 29 with 777 viewsElephantintheRoom

Whisky is a grown up’s drink

That one is a bit of a marketing gimmick - as many malt whiskies are nowadays. As a general rule it’s wise to steer clear of the multitude of ´cask conditioning ‘ that is spoiling many half decent malts. It’s all nonsense as they have always been stored in old barrels - albeit not necessarily two wildly different ‘flavours’.

Another good tip is that garish packaging is no substitute for a decent product

But it’s plenty good enough to keep. Just don’t expect to like it as much as a normal speyside malt.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Scotch drinkers on 13:46 - Mar 29 with 712 viewsleitrimblue

I could do with whisky drinking lessons/advice as well.

I keep being giving whisky and poitin by clients, mainly at Xmas but have no real history of drinking either. I just put it in the cupboard. There now so much poitin in there I fear if we ever have a housefire the place will explode.
I've downed a few whiskys in the pub when already full of beer but never just sat down and drank it on its own of a evening.
Does it have to be drunk neat or can I add ice?
Was told by an old boy the other year to ' mix poitin with white wine as its the only way to drink the sh1te' but not sure that was sound advice
Do I accompany it with cheese or jolly ranchers or his eating cheating?
Thank you
Scotch drinkers on 14:20 - Mar 29 with 684 viewsMedwayTractor

Scotch drinkers on 13:46 - Mar 29 by leitrimblue

I could do with whisky drinking lessons/advice as well.

I keep being giving whisky and poitin by clients, mainly at Xmas but have no real history of drinking either. I just put it in the cupboard. There now so much poitin in there I fear if we ever have a housefire the place will explode.
I've downed a few whiskys in the pub when already full of beer but never just sat down and drank it on its own of a evening.
Does it have to be drunk neat or can I add ice?
Was told by an old boy the other year to ' mix poitin with white wine as its the only way to drink the sh1te' but not sure that was sound advice
Do I accompany it with cheese or jolly ranchers or his eating cheating?
Thank you

See if the whiskey/whisky event organisers run any events in your area. I've been to a couple of Whisky Live events, not cheap but a cracking day out for any whisky/whiskey lover. A couple of good tips - (1) drink plenty of water between the samples and (2) don't drive home!

Blog: Who's Next Between the Sticks (Or Be Careful What You Wish For)?

Scotch drinkers on 14:45 - Mar 29 with 651 viewsleitrimblue

Scotch drinkers on 14:20 - Mar 29 by MedwayTractor

See if the whiskey/whisky event organisers run any events in your area. I've been to a couple of Whisky Live events, not cheap but a cracking day out for any whisky/whiskey lover. A couple of good tips - (1) drink plenty of water between the samples and (2) don't drive home!

Thanks that's some fine advice. Think there may be a small whiskey distilleries around me. May be a good idea to drop in on them and ask a few questions/try an blag a few samples..
Scotch drinkers on 14:58 - Mar 29 with 634 viewsjayessess

Scotch drinkers on 14:20 - Mar 29 by MedwayTractor

can second going to some sort of tasting event for the spirits you're interested in - I started going to a rum club run out of our local Caribbean restaurant and you really learn a lot about different styles. I haven't got the palate to recognise half the stuff that I'm "supposed" to be noticing, but you still get a basic feel for which styles are supposed to do what and you do get a better sense of what you like and don't like.

(You do also work past the idea that you're supposed to like x/y or drink things in certain ways. You learn a bit about what happens when you add an ice cube, add a drop of water, eat something with it etc. etc. and decide what it does for you)

Scotch drinkers on 16:11 - Mar 29 with 576 viewsrattram

Scotch drinkers on 14:58 - Mar 29 by jayessess

can second going to some sort of tasting event for the spirits you're interested in - I started going to a rum club run out of our local Caribbean restaurant and you really learn a lot about different styles. I haven't got the palate to recognise half the stuff that I'm "supposed" to be noticing, but you still get a basic feel for which styles are supposed to do what and you do get a better sense of what you like and don't like.

(You do also work past the idea that you're supposed to like x/y or drink things in certain ways. You learn a bit about what happens when you add an ice cube, add a drop of water, eat something with it etc. etc. and decide what it does for you)

Been drinking Scotch for years and only discovered Glen Scotia recently. A very tasty dram, as long as you add nothing more than water. Those who would add coke or cherryade to whisky, make sure it's a blend.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024