Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
No group of fans have it better than we do right now 08:17 - Apr 4 with 947 viewsrkc123

In the joyous aftermath of Monday evening I came to what is probably quite an obvious realisation, that there are no group of supporters in the country that can be happier supporting their team than we are right now.

I can vividly remember sitting there during our years of mid-table mediocrity, watching these different away fans turn up with an upwardly mobile team that was well run, playing good football, and having their moment and enjoying every minute of supporting their team, and thinking "when is it going to be our turn to enjoy that". I think I started to just think maybe it won't happen, obviously not all clubs get a turn, some just endure the support of their club, and this is our fate.

So to actually be in the position we are, and for it to be better than we could have dared hope, I have found that the usual dread I feel ahead of the derby isn't present this time. We are the better team, with the better manager, we are better run, and we will in all likelihood win. However, if we don't then we move on, we have bigger concerns than one game; it will be the highlight of their season if they beat us, if we beat them it is just a footnote in ours.
No group of fans have it better than we do right now on 08:29 - Apr 4 with 844 viewsTrumptonBlue

I think they have bigger concerns than one game too.
No group of fans have it better than we do right now on 08:32 - Apr 4 with 830 viewsrkc123

No group of fans have it better than we do right now on 08:29 - Apr 4 by TrumptonBlue

I think they have bigger concerns than one game too.

Do you think they're going to get promoted?
No group of fans have it better than we do right now on 09:39 - Apr 4 with 660 viewsGarv

The draw against them in December didn't bother me that much. Knowing we were so much the better side and how much they were gagging for a draw even before kick off was enough for me.

For 10+ years the only hope of excitement was a derby win, and it never came. Nowadays I think we're getting enough stimulation without needing to beat them. In terms of promotion though obviously it wouldn't hurt!

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

No group of fans have it better than we do right now on 09:52 - Apr 4 with 623 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

We must be the happiest supporters in all of football? by The_Flashing_Smile 30 Mar 8:40
Taken over by a consortium who are actually investing in the club, its people and the infrastructure.
Excellent CEO in place.
Likeable popstar supporter as the shirt sponsor/world ambassador.
Took a punt on a backroom coaching staff guy for his first managerial job proper and he turns out to be arguably the best young coach around.
Won promotion out of League 1 playing fast, risky, attacking football with packed out crowds home and away.
Best ever start for a promoted team and fearlessly carrying that on to be top at Easter, including most goals scored.
Ambitious plans to build and improve the area surrounding the ground.
Chappers' smile.
Burns' cheeky sense of humour.
Leif's left foot.
Hladky becoming an outfield player/keeper and fantastic at it overnight.
Morsy being Morsy.

I've probably missed a few, but it's astonishing really isn't it?
Just astonishing.
And we should go into these last 7 games as the happiest supporters, without fear, because no-one ever expected to be in this position. Anything we get now is a bonus on a bonus on a bonus.
Let's just enjoy the ride.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

No group of fans have it better than we do right now on 10:39 - Apr 4 with 544 viewsTrumptonBlue

No group of fans have it better than we do right now on 08:32 - Apr 4 by rkc123

Do you think they're going to get promoted?

I think they've got a chance.
No group of fans have it better than we do right now on 10:57 - Apr 4 with 492 viewsChurchman

Just a few years ago we had every right to claim to be the most miserable club in the country. An owner who had no interest, facilities that had been allowed to rot, a team that was dreadful full of journeymen, pension seekers and people looking for easy street. Let’s face it, a club where the pursuit was the high watermark of ambition. Nothing to enjoy.

We had manager after manager with one exception who was beyond awful. And the one exception produced ‘pragmatic’ football that bored me rigid. Before anyone rises to this, that’s how it was for me and I fully understand the reasons why. Looking back, I might not have enjoyed what MM did much, but he performed a miracle with nothing. When/if he visits this club, I hope he’s appreciated for what he achieved. Without him we’d have been relegated years before.

So, stretching back to 2002 we’ve seen nothing but decline and waning interest. How our attendances remained as high as they did is actually pretty amazing. And then comes along 2021. Omg, the contrast in literally everything. If people cannot enjoy the now there’s a lot wrong with them or they follow Norwich.

The game against Norwich has been reduced to a footnote. It’s three points and we need them. No more, no less. If it goes against us, we will still be in it thanks to the bank holiday games and being in the mix for autos in April against Lucky Leicester and Fortunate Leeds, with all their undeserved PL money and in Leicesters case rule breaking, is beyond amazing.

I never thought I’d see anything like this again just three years ago. Pride restored. Go for it and who knows. In six games time…….

Edit: Joe Royle deserves more credit than he ever received and actually we had a lot than Jim too - the last winner of an EA derby.
[Post edited 4 Apr 11:08]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024