Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Playing it out from the back 17:11 - Apr 4 with 2387 viewsDyland

Was it McKenna a while ago who commented that fans/pundits criticise goals scored due to mistakes passing it out from the back, but never when the ball is hoofed away, posession conceded, and the oppo score from the next attack? Which is precisely what happened with Jezzer's winner against Saints. Someone may have remarked on this already.

Mitigating circumstances cos everyone was knackered, but thought it worth a mention (to the stick in the muds who still yell "get rid") :)
[Post edited 4 Apr 17:11]

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Playing it out from the back on 17:22 - Apr 4 with 2304 views44_not_out

Good observation
When their keeper had it in his hands it just turned 96 mins (I remember looking)
He decided to go long. Probably made sense and secures their point.
BUT WHY does he punt it straight and long?
If he angles it into the corner, they then press our throw, we would not have had enough time to get the ball back
The fact it goes straight to Vaz and he recycles it immediately gave us the opportunity

Poor play from their keeper… but I’m not complaining
Playing it out from the back on 17:28 - Apr 4 with 2254 viewsPortmanteauxcurling

Playing it out from the back on 17:22 - Apr 4 by 44_not_out

Good observation
When their keeper had it in his hands it just turned 96 mins (I remember looking)
If he angles it into the corner, they then press our throw, we would not have had enough time to get the ball back
The fact it goes straight to Vaz and he recycles it immediately gave us the opportunity

Yeah........... weren't we lucky that their keeper did that ?

Playing it out from the back on 17:30 - Apr 4 with 2245 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Good observation

Yes been thinking about that but maybe they were still going for the win?

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Playing it out from the back on 17:35 - Apr 4 with 2220 viewsSomethingBlue

Presumably Bazunu saw it as one last chance to get them up the pitch but I remember thinking at the time that it was a bizarre decision (without for one moment expecting what came next ... !).

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Playing it out from the back on 17:35 - Apr 4 with 2215 viewsSwansea_Blue

I'm fully behind the play it out from the back approach, but I'm still prone to the odd outburst of 'get the fkn thing away!' from time to time. It's only natural when you're under the cosh. That the players can keep cool when under silly pressure just shows how bloody well coached they are and how they trust the instructions and trust themselves and each other.

What a group. Is 52 too old to have football posters on your wall lol?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Playing it out from the back on 17:37 - Apr 4 with 2205 viewsSwansea_Blue

Good observation

The irony being that Martin has faced criticism from fans at S'ton (and before that at Swansea and MK Dons) for wanting a possession-at-all-costs, playing out from the back approach.

Playing it out from the back on 17:55 - Apr 4 with 2133 viewshoppy

Playing it out from the back on 17:35 - Apr 4 by Swansea_Blue

I'm fully behind the play it out from the back approach, but I'm still prone to the odd outburst of 'get the fkn thing away!' from time to time. It's only natural when you're under the cosh. That the players can keep cool when under silly pressure just shows how bloody well coached they are and how they trust the instructions and trust themselves and each other.

Did you spell "TWTD posters" wrongly?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Playing it out from the back on 17:57 - Apr 4 with 2123 viewsKeno

Mine are stuck on wall without using any blutack

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Login to get fewer ads

Playing it out from the back on 21:05 - Apr 4 with 1866 viewsLeaky

Plus there keeper hoofed it as they needed a draw minimum probably a win
Playing it out from the back on 21:07 - Apr 4 with 1856 viewsSwansea_Blue

Playing it out from the back on 17:57 - Apr 4 by Keno

Mine are stuck on wall without using any blutack

Sellotape is great, isn’t it 🤣

Playing it out from the back on 06:23 - Apr 5 with 1490 viewsKropotkin123

It's a good point, I didn't think of it like that. I was more thinking about the late goal scenario. Southampton's keeper wasting time then punting it to our keeper doesn't make it likely that they would get a late goal. But Hladky rolling it out, Morsy driving forward, Leif finding space and putting a precise ball into the box massively increases the chances of us getting a late goal.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Playing it out from the back on 07:00 - Apr 5 with 1439 viewsBuhrer

I remember at the time thinking "he's keen, I'd have wanted us to sit on that"..

I love McKennaball, la pausa. The confidence, the build up of pressure, the probing, the explosiveness, the divs gibbering in fear.
Playing it out from the back on 08:05 - Apr 5 with 1280 viewsBattersea_Blue

I did see one presser that Russell Martin gave after the game where he openly criticised his keeper for punting it long and giving us possession. If I remember correctly he said it was ridiculous what his keeper did at the end.
Innit! on 08:12 - Apr 5 with 1241 viewsDyland

Playing it out from the back on 06:23 - Apr 5 by Kropotkin123

It's a good point, I didn't think of it like that. I was more thinking about the late goal scenario. Southampton's keeper wasting time then punting it to our keeper doesn't make it likely that they would get a late goal. But Hladky rolling it out, Morsy driving forward, Leif finding space and putting a precise ball into the box massively increases the chances of us getting a late goal.

nfft

"Is 52 too old to have football posters on your wall lol?" on 08:13 - Apr 5 with 1237 viewsDyland

Hahahahaah no! :)

Exactly this on 08:15 - Apr 5 with 1232 viewsDyland

Good observation

Nothing wrong with kicking it long, but he kicked it straight to our keeper. Bad mistake.

As posters have commented here and elsewhere, marked difference between Martin and McKenna calling out individual errors. Martin really is a bell.
[Post edited 5 Apr 8:17]

Playing it out from the back on 08:34 - Apr 5 with 1182 viewsKieran_Knows

I think this manager and group of players have surely earned our trust now to not have people shout stuff like that anymore?

It’s risk and reward isn’t it. I’m sure the coaching staff probably factor in half a dozen mistakes playing out from the back a season if it means staying true to their principles and the rewards they get for when it does go right.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Playing it out from the back on 08:53 - Apr 5 with 1108 viewsChurchman

I am too. Gives me heart failure when I see them p£ssing about at the back sometimes. FFS get rid!!

In all seriousness, I do understand what they are trying to do and it has been productive but there are occasions where sending it down the field looks the best option to me.

There’s a reason why I’m not a football manager.
Playing it out from the back on 08:58 - Apr 5 with 1067 viewsDyland

Playing it out from the back on 08:53 - Apr 5 by Churchman

I am too. Gives me heart failure when I see them p£ssing about at the back sometimes. FFS get rid!!

In all seriousness, I do understand what they are trying to do and it has been productive but there are occasions where sending it down the field looks the best option to me.

There’s a reason why I’m not a football manager.

There was deffo a period where Hladky went long to Keiffer. In fact since he came in we've mixed it up really well. Which is part of the point about Monday innit, there's a difference between going long trying to pick a pass and hoofing it as far as possible purely to gain territory. The latter is a silly tactic at this level, and as proven on Monday very silly against a team like Town.

Yeh right McKenna, simply amazing job. Ridiculous.

Playing it out from the back on 09:24 - Apr 5 with 1000 viewsBluefarrier

In the great Robson era, Cooper invariably rolled the ball out. In fact, we would have a bet on how many times he would kick it long. You lost if you bet more than twice. I am talking Muhren /Thijssen in midfield. Prior to them, we were long ball, route one. I think that it is great how we have bought into our out-from-the-back style. 40 years waiting to see football like this again.
Playing it out from the back on 09:51 - Apr 5 with 938 viewsgainsboroughblue

Playing it out from the back on 21:05 - Apr 4 by Leaky

Plus there keeper hoofed it as they needed a draw minimum probably a win

A draw wasn't really much use to them. On the face of it, it was an ok result for us.

A win for us was huge. A defeat for them didn't make much difference (from a draw)
[Post edited 5 Apr 9:51]

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Playing it out from the back on 10:11 - Apr 5 with 851 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

“ mention (to the stick in the muds who still yell "get rid") :)”

I suspect very few of those post here (at least beyond the comments section)!

On a related note, a Hamner at work said to me this week that he watched both our games at the weekend but “what annoys me about you lot is all that playing about at the back under pressure , just get rid of it”. Madness from the outside when talking about a team on the verge of back to back promotions. Ironically he also wants Moyes out because ‘the football is sh1t’…what contrarians football fans are - he best hope Wet Spam don’t come calling for McKenna with all that playing out from the back rubbish…
Spammer in knowing nowt about football shocker on 10:26 - Apr 5 with 817 viewsDyland

Playing it out from the back on 10:11 - Apr 5 by SuperKieranMcKenna

“ mention (to the stick in the muds who still yell "get rid") :)”

I suspect very few of those post here (at least beyond the comments section)!

On a related note, a Hamner at work said to me this week that he watched both our games at the weekend but “what annoys me about you lot is all that playing about at the back under pressure , just get rid of it”. Madness from the outside when talking about a team on the verge of back to back promotions. Ironically he also wants Moyes out because ‘the football is sh1t’…what contrarians football fans are - he best hope Wet Spam don’t come calling for McKenna with all that playing out from the back rubbish…

They're as bad as Chelsea fans. Actually no they aren't :)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024