Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
IFAB trial to prevent keepers holding onto the ball 19:52 - Apr 16 with 1709 viewsPlums

An interesting approach. Something definitely needs to be done, I wonder which countries will apply to trial it.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

IFAB trial to prevent keepers holding onto the ball on 21:48 - Apr 16 with 1563 viewsSwansea_Blue

I can’t read threads, but why don’t the officials just enforce the laws of the game? That’s all that needs to happen.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

IFAB trial to prevent keepers holding onto the ball on 22:19 - Apr 16 with 1520 viewsNthsuffolkblue

IFAB trial to prevent keepers holding onto the ball on 21:48 - Apr 16 by Swansea_Blue

I can’t read threads, but why don’t the officials just enforce the laws of the game? That’s all that needs to happen.

Indeed. If the trial is like the one this season to end time wasting by adding on the actual time wasted, then this will only last 2 weeks anyway before the refs return to ignoring it.

A lot of the problems are to do with the referees' interpretations rather than the rules themselves.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

IFAB trial to prevent keepers holding onto the ball on 22:33 - Apr 16 with 1467 viewsFrimleyBlue

Make it simple. Ref counts to 6. If ball not released. He blows his whistle and its a freekick.

Not sure why it's so difficult. If no player is free then hoof it.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

IFAB trial to prevent keepers holding onto the ball on 23:00 - Apr 16 with 1417 viewsCrayonKing

IFAB trial to prevent keepers holding onto the ball on 21:48 - Apr 16 by Swansea_Blue

I've often wondered why it's never enforced. Are the refs issued guidance not to enforce it? or have they all somehow independently come to the decision not to enforce it? and if so why aren't the assessors picking up on it?

Just seems weird that there's this rule on the books that everybody knows about, that gets broken multiple times every single game, and the refs just ignore it.
IFAB trial to prevent keepers holding onto the ball on 23:52 - Apr 16 with 1361 viewsClapham_Junction

TBF, the thread makes a good point that currently the punishment for failing to release the ball in time is an indirect free kick in the area, which is deemed too harsh (too likely to lead to an opposition goal) relative to the severity of the offence.

The main aspect of the proposal is to change the result from an indirect free kick in the area to a corner or throw-in. The interesting bit is that competitions trialling it get to choose which of those two to use (and must use it consistently).
[Post edited 16 Apr 23:52]
IFAB trial to prevent keepers holding onto the ball on 00:22 - Apr 17 with 1321 viewsVanSaParody

I get the very obvious time wasting when a team is winning by the odd goal, but if a rule needs to be there & to be enforced, I think it should also be the case not just for a GK holding it, but for the team pussy footing about with it across their back line with the obvious intention of not attempting to play it forward

It's a ridiculous law, specifically 6 seconds

If you want to enforce such a law, then like when a conversion kicker in rugby has a countdown clock, as soon as a keeper has it in both hands, 20 seconds... if the GK is still in possession having not brought anyone else in to play in that time & the 20 seconds runs out, then a stadium alarm &/or referee's whistle & an uncontested drop ball favouring the opposition team from where the GK had it as the time ran out
IFAB trial to prevent keepers holding onto the ball on 00:43 - Apr 17 with 1309 viewsEuropablue

IFAB trial to prevent keepers holding onto the ball on 00:22 - Apr 17 by VanSaParody

I get the very obvious time wasting when a team is winning by the odd goal, but if a rule needs to be there & to be enforced, I think it should also be the case not just for a GK holding it, but for the team pussy footing about with it across their back line with the obvious intention of not attempting to play it forward

It's a ridiculous law, specifically 6 seconds

If you want to enforce such a law, then like when a conversion kicker in rugby has a countdown clock, as soon as a keeper has it in both hands, 20 seconds... if the GK is still in possession having not brought anyone else in to play in that time & the 20 seconds runs out, then a stadium alarm &/or referee's whistle & an uncontested drop ball favouring the opposition team from where the GK had it as the time ran out

"for the team pussy footing about with it across their back line with the obvious intention of not attempting to play it forward" that would be totally ridiculous. The opposition have the opportunity to chase them down and win the ball back. When the goalkeeper has it in his hands there is no opportunity to win the ball back.
Maybe you would prefer a reverse offside rule where players are not allowed to play the ball backwards.
IFAB trial to prevent keepers holding onto the ball on 00:46 - Apr 17 with 1309 viewsEuropablue

IFAB trial to prevent keepers holding onto the ball on 23:52 - Apr 16 by Clapham_Junction

TBF, the thread makes a good point that currently the punishment for failing to release the ball in time is an indirect free kick in the area, which is deemed too harsh (too likely to lead to an opposition goal) relative to the severity of the offence.

The main aspect of the proposal is to change the result from an indirect free kick in the area to a corner or throw-in. The interesting bit is that competitions trialling it get to choose which of those two to use (and must use it consistently).
[Post edited 16 Apr 23:52]

Just allow players to slap the ball out of the goalkeeper's hands after 10 seconds!
Login to get fewer ads

IFAB trial to prevent keepers holding onto the ball on 12:37 - Apr 17 with 1065 viewsGeoffSentence

According to the thread, it is felt that the current sanction for holding on to the ball is too severe. An indirect free kick where the keeper was holding on to the ball is too big an advantage given that that there was previously zero chance of a goal.

Also, they acknowledge that there are times when the keeper legitimately cant get rid before 6 seconds.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

IFAB trial to prevent keepers holding onto the ball on 12:39 - Apr 17 with 1044 viewsPlums

IFAB trial to prevent keepers holding onto the ball on 12:37 - Apr 17 by GeoffSentence

According to the thread, it is felt that the current sanction for holding on to the ball is too severe. An indirect free kick where the keeper was holding on to the ball is too big an advantage given that that there was previously zero chance of a goal.

Also, they acknowledge that there are times when the keeper legitimately cant get rid before 6 seconds.

It also makes the point that the management of a free kick in the penalty area is extremely difficult for the officials and becomes a bit of a circus. Awarding of a corner or throw in seems a good option to me.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.

IFAB trial to prevent keepers holding onto the ball on 12:41 - Apr 17 with 1031 viewsGeoffSentence

IFAB trial to prevent keepers holding onto the ball on 12:39 - Apr 17 by Plums

It also makes the point that the management of a free kick in the penalty area is extremely difficult for the officials and becomes a bit of a circus. Awarding of a corner or throw in seems a good option to me.

Yep, basically they give plenty of reasons why this is preferred over simply enforcing the current rule.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

IFAB trial to prevent keepers holding onto the ball on 14:31 - Apr 17 with 906 viewsVanSaParody

IFAB trial to prevent keepers holding onto the ball on 00:43 - Apr 17 by Europablue

"for the team pussy footing about with it across their back line with the obvious intention of not attempting to play it forward" that would be totally ridiculous. The opposition have the opportunity to chase them down and win the ball back. When the goalkeeper has it in his hands there is no opportunity to win the ball back.
Maybe you would prefer a reverse offside rule where players are not allowed to play the ball backwards.

Nope

All my silliness was just highlighting the silliness of specifically the 6 seconds rule regardless of whether officials enforce it or not

My opinion is not to have it, or don't enforce it, or change the 6 to 20 seconds
IFAB trial to prevent keepers holding onto the ball on 14:37 - Apr 17 with 879 viewsHelp

Maybe as fans we should just start counting to six when the opposition keeper gets the ball just for S & G
IFAB trial to prevent keepers holding onto the ball on 14:43 - Apr 17 with 858 viewsyorkshireblue

IFAB trial to prevent keepers holding onto the ball on 14:37 - Apr 17 by Help

Maybe as fans we should just start counting to six when the opposition keeper gets the ball just for S & G

I've been to a game where the crowd did that routinely every time the oppo keeper held the ball. Not sure if it was a regular thing, or the two teams had previous.

The ref gave him a talking to quite early on and then after that he got rid of it pretty quickly every time afterwards
IFAB trial to prevent keepers holding onto the ball on 14:59 - Apr 17 with 827 viewsHelp

IFAB trial to prevent keepers holding onto the ball on 14:43 - Apr 17 by yorkshireblue

I've been to a game where the crowd did that routinely every time the oppo keeper held the ball. Not sure if it was a regular thing, or the two teams had previous.

The ref gave him a talking to quite early on and then after that he got rid of it pretty quickly every time afterwards

Appears to work then. Fan power is the way forward. We call for hand balls and pens let's add keeper time wasting
IFAB trial to prevent keepers holding onto the ball on 15:02 - Apr 17 with 812 viewsMookamoo

IFAB trial to prevent keepers holding onto the ball on 14:59 - Apr 17 by Help

Appears to work then. Fan power is the way forward. We call for hand balls and pens let's add keeper time wasting

Can we have a six second countdown on the scoreboard, or is that not allowed.

Maybe just turn it off when we have the ball though....
IFAB trial to prevent keepers holding onto the ball on 15:05 - Apr 17 with 804 viewsBseaBlue

Agreed. Particularly in professional football when you have two assistants and a fourth official who I am sure could assist with the enforcement of this.

I think the same rules should eventually be applied for throw ins and goal kicks but with a bit more leeway on time. Maybe throw ins get overturned after 10 seconds and goal kicks changed to a corner if not taken within a time limit.

Supporters pay to watch teams play football, not sh1thouse time wasting for 90 minutes.
IFAB trial to prevent keepers holding onto the ball on 18:38 - Apr 17 with 666 viewsgainsboroughblue

It will be a rule brought in that will slowly drift away.

Bit like the injury time thing last season when we played 13 mins at Sunderland and haven't got anywhere near that since.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

IFAB trial to prevent keepers holding onto the ball on 18:44 - Apr 17 with 646 viewsSheffordBlue

IFAB trial to prevent keepers holding onto the ball on 18:38 - Apr 17 by gainsboroughblue

Bit like the injury time thing last season when we played 13 mins at Sunderland and haven't got anywhere near that since.

I'd agree it's regressed a bit from the early matches but is still significantly higher than previous seasons e.g. We have had 13 matches with 5 or minutes 1st half stoppage time and 40 have had 5 or minutes additional time added in the 2nd half.

This overall update was in December by which time the early few matches time added on had dipped and suggests the overall approach has worked - it will be interesting to see if they publish figures at the end of the season - https://www.efl.com/news/2023/december/21/ball-in-play-time-increases-across-efl
[Post edited 17 Apr 18:47]

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

IFAB trial to prevent keepers holding onto the ball on 18:56 - Apr 17 with 615 viewsJon_456

IFAB trial to prevent keepers holding onto the ball on 18:38 - Apr 17 by gainsboroughblue

I actually didn’t mind them changing the injury time after they realised 13mins was ridiculous. It seems more accurate these days.

What really winds me up which was working is the fact they’ve stopped giving yellows out for obvious obstruction of the ball/kicking it away when a FK is given. Players very quickly stopped that nonsense at the start of the season and then within a month they let it creep back in.
IFAB trial to prevent keepers holding onto the ball on 19:07 - Apr 17 with 593 viewsNthQldITFC

They used to have to bounce the ball didn't they? Or have I imagined that? Was that to move about inside the box, or after a few seconds? Or was I watching basketball and didn't realise?

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

IFAB trial to prevent keepers holding onto the ball on 19:22 - Apr 17 with 558 viewsPlums

IFAB trial to prevent keepers holding onto the ball on 18:56 - Apr 17 by Jon_456

I actually didn’t mind them changing the injury time after they realised 13mins was ridiculous. It seems more accurate these days.

What really winds me up which was working is the fact they’ve stopped giving yellows out for obvious obstruction of the ball/kicking it away when a FK is given. Players very quickly stopped that nonsense at the start of the season and then within a month they let it creep back in.

The card for the third player approaching the referee seems to have declined too. Perhaps they feel it's had the desired effect.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024