Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Attack on free speech in Brussels 10:32 - Apr 17 with 4590 viewsNeedhamChris

This is political overreach isn't it and completely unacceptable?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-68826577

You can disagree without shutting down opposing views. A dangerous path.
[Post edited 17 Apr 10:35]

Poll: Was that the worst result in the clubs history?

Attack on free speech in Brussels on 16:07 - Apr 17 with 992 viewslowhouseblue

Attack on free speech in Brussels on 15:56 - Apr 17 by PhilTWTD

Sometimes that infringement of the rights of others isn't disputed by those promoting the agenda.

very rarely. and there would always be a justification (however dodgy) in terms of some wider benefits. conflicts between different sets of rights and entitlements is what politics is all about.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Attack on free speech in Brussels on 16:08 - Apr 17 with 978 viewsBellevueblue

Attack on free speech in Brussels on 14:49 - Apr 17 by lowhouseblue

there's a difference between disagreeing with someone and silencing them. you can do the former whenever you want, the later should be left to the law and the courts. first they came for the people i strongly disagreed with and i said hurrah; then they came for the people i mildly disagreed with and i said meh; then they lost power and the next lot came for me. b*gger.

How are they being silenced? That's a bit over the top.

They're still free to flood the airways with dogwhistle rhetoric, just not at that particular conference in Brussells.

Keep cluching those pearls!
Attack on free speech in Brussels on 16:13 - Apr 17 with 939 viewsZapers

Attack on free speech in Brussels on 16:08 - Apr 17 by Bellevueblue

They're still free to flood the airways with dogwhistle rhetoric, just not at that particular conference in Brussells.

‘Just not at that particular conference at the conference in Brussels’

That’s the whole point of the thread,

catch up.
Attack on free speech in Brussels on 16:14 - Apr 17 with 942 viewsbaxterbasics

Even squeaker Jones agrees

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Attack on free speech in Brussels on 16:15 - Apr 17 with 928 viewslowhouseblue

Attack on free speech in Brussels on 16:08 - Apr 17 by Bellevueblue

so you're at the 'first they came for the people i strongly disagreed with and i said hurrah' stage then.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Attack on free speech in Brussels on 16:16 - Apr 17 with 914 viewslowhouseblue

Attack on free speech in Brussels on 16:14 - Apr 17 by baxterbasics

ohhh, don't post things like that please. agreeing with jones is vomit inducing.

Attack on free speech in Brussels on 16:19 - Apr 17 with 880 viewsKropotkin123

Attack on free speech in Brussels on 16:16 - Apr 17 by lowhouseblue

ohhh, don't post things like that please. agreeing with jones is vomit inducing.

Proof that you're on the wrong side of the line on this one 😂

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Attack on free speech in Brussels on 16:20 - Apr 17 with 874 viewsZapers

Attack on free speech in Brussels on 16:16 - Apr 17 by lowhouseblue

Almost worth while though. That might silence a few on here 🤣
Login to get fewer ads

Attack on free speech in Brussels on 16:24 - Apr 17 with 839 viewsZapers

Attack on free speech in Brussels on 16:20 - Apr 17 by Zapers

Almost worth while though. That might silence a few on here 🤣

And don’t bring Corbyn into it, and all the unsavoury characters he often shared a platform with!
Attack on free speech in Brussels on 16:27 - Apr 17 with 815 viewsBellevueblue

Attack on free speech in Brussels on 16:15 - Apr 17 by lowhouseblue

so you're at the 'first they came for the people i strongly disagreed with and i said hurrah' stage then.

Well no because I don't even think "theyve" come for any one.

Getting kicked out of a pub for saying things the ladlord doesn't like isn't beind silenced and neither is this situation.
Attack on free speech in Brussels on 16:29 - Apr 17 with 785 viewsPhilTWTD

Attack on free speech in Brussels on 16:07 - Apr 17 by lowhouseblue

very rarely. and there would always be a justification (however dodgy) in terms of some wider benefits. conflicts between different sets of rights and entitlements is what politics is all about.

KKK? As an extreme example. Would you feel that it's right to platform them?
Attack on free speech in Brussels on 16:35 - Apr 17 with 763 viewsGeoffSentence

Attack on free speech in Brussels on 12:48 - Apr 17 by NeedhamChris

I don't know how sincere you are, but your first point is an example of the childish nature of political discourse at the moment - where policy is decided based on factions and not on it's own merits.

A different example;

A lack of proportional representation rightfully annoyed Nigel Farage when UKIP had 3m+ votes. Many (not all) of those now screaming for PR because of the Green Party and others who have sustainable and significant vote shares were silent about it when it was UKIP most adversely impacted. It's either good policy or it's not - who it offends shouldn't be the driver.

Dont think thats true about people being silent about PR because of UKIP, there has been longstanding vocal support from PR particularly from the Lib Dems and Greens who have been particularly disadvantaged by FPTP. PR, and pressure for it, has been a thing since before UKIP ever existed

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Attack on free speech in Brussels on 16:36 - Apr 17 with 756 viewsleitrimblue

Attack on free speech in Brussels on 15:28 - Apr 17 by baxterbasics

Have a problem personally? Yes of course and I would expect widespread condemnation in the court of public opinion. But not for them to be arrested or prevented from meeting. Not for that alone anyway - if it tips into incitement to commit serious crimes then that is where the law should step in.

Thanks for your reasoned response. I do see where you and others are cominĺg from. I just wonder if there was a point where people might think' well that's a bit to far'. What about people chanting from the river to the sea? Would this be the same and just deserves public condemnation or would you feel the offence this causes to some requires those chanting it to be prosecuted?
Attack on free speech in Brussels on 16:45 - Apr 17 with 714 viewslowhouseblue

Attack on free speech in Brussels on 16:29 - Apr 17 by PhilTWTD

KKK? As an extreme example. Would you feel that it's right to platform them?

no because they undoubtedly break the law on inciting racial hatred. i'm very happy for judges to make these decisions on the basis of existing law.

Attack on free speech in Brussels on 17:14 - Apr 17 with 633 viewsbaxterbasics

Attack on free speech in Brussels on 16:27 - Apr 17 by Bellevueblue

Well no because I don't even think "theyve" come for any one.

Getting kicked out of a pub for saying things the ladlord doesn't like isn't beind silenced and neither is this situation.

Those are not comparable.

I agree the pub landlord has the right to kick out who he likes. That's his private space. His rules.

We are talking here about government deciding who can assemble and who cannot. In this case a jumped up local mayor, and the police.

zip

Attack on free speech in Brussels on 17:18 - Apr 17 with 606 viewsbaxterbasics

Attack on free speech in Brussels on 16:36 - Apr 17 by leitrimblue

Thanks for your reasoned response. I do see where you and others are cominĺg from. I just wonder if there was a point where people might think' well that's a bit to far'. What about people chanting from the river to the sea? Would this be the same and just deserves public condemnation or would you feel the offence this causes to some requires those chanting it to be prosecuted?

I don't like the 'River to the Sea' chant because I think lying behind it is the implication that Jews should be driven out of the region.

However, under my own high bar for what is allowed, this alone would not be a police matter.

zip

Attack on free speech in Brussels on 18:45 - Apr 17 with 505 viewsNeedhamChris

A better take on this

Poll: Was that the worst result in the clubs history?

Attack on free speech in Brussels on 20:02 - Apr 17 with 450 viewsthebooks

Attack on free speech in Brussels on 11:17 - Apr 17 by redrickstuhaart

No . Its absolutely wrong. Authorities preventing gatherings of people whos views are disagreed with is fascist and dictatorial.

Also an absolute gift to farage and others wanting to stoke culture wars and complain about cancel culture.

🤷‍♂️ Not really about freedom of speech when it comes to fascism, which has nothing to do with discussing ideas. A mayor saying he doesn’t want fascists gathering in his city is not fascism.

Like I say, I couldn’t care less if this is seen as a gift to Farage. If anyone supports him that’s their choice and they can fúck off as well.
Attack on free speech in Brussels on 21:04 - Apr 17 with 408 viewsMullet

Attack on free speech in Brussels on 12:45 - Apr 17 by NeedhamChris

Would 100% agree with the point of your last sentence, the line between disagreement and offensiveness has become so blurry now it's dangerous.

I'm a Green Party member on the left of the political spectrum - but I just don't believe in censoring opposing viewpoints however much I disagree with them (unless they're against the law for other reasons).

Also, there's such a basic misunderstanding of what 'far right' is and the term gets banded about to just about anyone with conservative or Conservative views, we undermine our arguments by resorting to such infantile approaches.

The Belgians had said it was due to homophobic and racist views espoused by people down to speak.

Obviously that goes the way of thoughtcrime now we'll never know if they were going to say that. However, given the symphony of brown the various collection of arseholes they had in attendance were likely to play, I just think it's funny.

The worst part is the victimhood and Trumpian dynamo of whining it sets off. They;d have been better just refusing them all entry to Belgium on arrival.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Attack on free speech in Brussels on 21:09 - Apr 17 with 405 viewsMullet

Attack on free speech in Brussels on 16:14 - Apr 17 by baxterbasics

Given Jones was recently saying he wanted to replicate Farage, Yaxley-Lennon et al. but as a far left equivalent, I'm not sure you're onto the validation you think you are there.

As become more and more marginalised old OJ has been desperately trying to rally the Cobynistas and appear as against Starmer as he possibly can.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024