Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hoopoe Watch 14:34 - Apr 18 with 1146 viewsSwailsey

Hello TWTD. I’m a lifelong birder, and one which has always escaped me is the Hoopoe.

I know they’re sparse in England, so I want to take a trip to see them in full flight/plumage.

Am I right in thinking France/Portugal are my best bet? Seems extreme to make the journey just for that, but it’s something I really want to cross off the bucket list in the next year or so.

Fanx.
[Post edited 18 Apr 14:34]

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Hoopoe Watch on 15:10 - Apr 18 with 1062 viewsgordon

I've just been in Extremadura for a week, lots of Hoopoes and lots of other cool birds - stayed in Trujillo, a couple of hours to the west of Madrid. Definitely recommended at this time of year (mid-April) before it's too hot.

Hoopoe relative density map here:
https://ebba2.info/maps/species/Upupa-epops/ebba2/abundance/
Hoopoe Watch on 15:15 - Apr 18 with 1039 viewsWeWereZombies

First time I saw one was in Mallorca, second time was in India. Would be lovely to see one in Britain.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Hoopoe Watch on 15:34 - Apr 18 with 1016 viewsartsbossbeard

Weirdly, I spotted one in Belstead a few years back and whilst looking at some bird watching feeds for nearby Red Kite action, there was one spotted in Norfolk just over a week ago.

I was in Southern Spain on the east coast a couple of summers ago and they were everywhere. Awesome bird.

Edit: I'm also just back from Hawaii and the bird life there was 1st class viewing..
[Post edited 18 Apr 15:35]

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Hoopoe Watch on 15:41 - Apr 18 with 976 viewsmrshallisfit

I often go down to South of France (around Pezenas) and they are everywhere early March through to end of August. Most villages there will have them in their gardens and on their roof tops. The sound of the Hoopoe call in the morning is one of the evocative sounds of Southern France.
Hoopoe Watch on 15:44 - Apr 18 with 964 viewsBarcaBlue

I saw one last week in the Catalan Pyrenees. Gorgeous bird and can be seen just about anywhere in Spain, Extremadura is a good option as mentioned. Lots of raptors there too.
I've just been photographing short-toed snake eagles and bearded vultures above the village here. And yesterday a wryneck.
Hoopoe Watch on 15:50 - Apr 18 with 923 viewsDJR

Hoopoe Watch on 15:10 - Apr 18 by gordon

I've just been in Extremadura for a week, lots of Hoopoes and lots of other cool birds - stayed in Trujillo, a couple of hours to the west of Madrid. Definitely recommended at this time of year (mid-April) before it's too hot.

Hoopoe relative density map here:
https://ebba2.info/maps/species/Upupa-epops/ebba2/abundance/

That's a great site.
Hoopoe Watch on 16:28 - Apr 18 with 836 viewsWestover

Hi I'm in the Eastern Algarve and they are quite common all year round, we had family staying at the Golden club Cabanas last week and we saw them when visiting them, we live close by, there are salt pans with plenty of birds which I'm sure would interest you now would be a good time to visit.
Hoopoe Watch on 17:31 - Apr 18 with 747 viewshoppy

For a moment there at a glance, I thought I had a stalker...

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Login to get fewer ads

Hoopoe Watch on 17:33 - Apr 18 with 741 viewsCoastalblue

Hoopoe Watch on 17:31 - Apr 18 by hoppy

For a moment there at a glance, I thought I had a stalker...

In your dreams

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Hoopoe Watch on 19:10 - Apr 18 with 668 viewsGeoffSentence

I've seen them in Majorca and Turkey

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Hoopoe Watch on 21:16 - Apr 18 with 596 viewsSwailsey

Thanks all!

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Hoopoe Watch on 08:28 - Apr 19 with 470 viewsElephantintheRoom

You’ll see more the further south you go - so Iberia is better than France - but they back in our garden in Southern France now. Same goes for golden orioles which are strangely difficult to spot even when they’re singing in a tree you’re right underneath

Might be an idea to travel to the Pyrenees or Aveyron where you can combine seeing Hoopoes with some rather iconic birds of prey and wall creepers. And the bridge at Millau is endlessly impressive too.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Hoopoe Watch on 09:10 - Apr 20 with 334 viewsford6600

Saw one in Haifa, Israel on the coast. Very striking bird not sure if resident there or migrating through...
Hoopoe Watch on 12:57 - Apr 20 with 237 viewsMeadowlark

There was one in Norfolk last week, and I saw one on Kessingland beach about 5 years ago....

https://m.facebook.com/groups/794623764465068/permalink/1493297571264347/
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024