Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Southampton have lost their technical director… 18:35 - Apr 19 with 2273 viewsSitfcB

Hopefully a small win off the pitch but doubt it will affect them?

Also Bazunu out for the rest of the season (9/10 months altogether)

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Southampton have lost their technical director… on 18:52 - Apr 19 with 2154 viewsGlasgowBlue

I'll be happy if Saints lose tomorrow. It keeps them further away from us but still with enough points to keep them in the hunt for Leicester and Leeds.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Southampton have lost their technical director… on 19:13 - Apr 19 with 2058 viewsNthQldITFC

Southampton have lost their technical director… on 18:52 - Apr 19 by GlasgowBlue

I'll be happy if Saints lose tomorrow. It keeps them further away from us but still with enough points to keep them in the hunt for Leicester and Leeds.

I think if Leeds win I'd like Saints to win too, but would prefer it if they both lost, obviously. I think. But I'm open to persuasion, of that I'm certain. I think.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Southampton have lost their technical director… on 19:14 - Apr 19 with 2069 viewsPhilTWTD

Think that broke the night they played us and Russell Martin was very chippy about it when he was questioned on it at his post-match press conference.
Southampton have lost their technical director… on 19:15 - Apr 19 with 2034 viewsGlasgowBlue

Southampton have lost their technical director… on 19:14 - Apr 19 by PhilTWTD

Think that broke the night they played us and Russell Martin was very chippy about it when he was questioned on it at his post-match press conference.

Yeah. The Sky commentator announced it halfway through the first half.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Southampton have lost their technical director… on 19:21 - Apr 19 with 2000 viewsGarv

Southampton have lost their technical director… on 18:52 - Apr 19 by GlasgowBlue

I'm starting to wonder why anyone would want Soton to keep winning.

Even if we have two games in hand over them, if they manage to get level or above us on points it will only apply pressure on us. Even if it means they have less to play for when they face Leeds I'd rather they are out of the race as soon as possible.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Southampton have lost their technical director… on 19:29 - Apr 19 with 1967 viewsSwansea_Blue

That the wish isn’t it. Keep them interested but not a real threat. Trouble is they will probably need to be within a shot of autos in their last game away to Leeds, which will very likely make them a threat.

Fk, if only we’d held out at Cardiff or found a deserved winner against ‘Boro. Leeds, Leicester and S’ton can say that as well though.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Southampton have lost their technical director… on 19:36 - Apr 19 with 1907 views_clive_baker_

Southampton have lost their technical director… on 19:21 - Apr 19 by Garv

I'm starting to wonder why anyone would want Soton to keep winning.

Even if we have two games in hand over them, if they manage to get level or above us on points it will only apply pressure on us. Even if it means they have less to play for when they face Leeds I'd rather they are out of the race as soon as possible.

Yeah it’s a very weird take I agree. The (debatable) benefit of them still being in the hunt is far outweighed by them still being in the hunt. It’s just more competition, and another very very good side who could pip us. We need them and Leeds to drop points before we next play, and in doing so we would then need to win 2 games and not 3 to guarantee top 2. That’s a nice position to be in.
Southampton have lost their technical director… on 20:01 - Apr 19 with 1769 viewsIllinoisblue

Southampton have lost their technical director… on 19:14 - Apr 19 by PhilTWTD

Born chippy

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Login to get fewer ads

Southampton have lost their technical director… on 20:28 - Apr 19 with 1691 viewsVegtablue

Southampton have lost their technical director… on 19:13 - Apr 19 by NthQldITFC

I think if Leeds win I'd like Saints to win too, but would prefer it if they both lost, obviously. I think. But I'm open to persuasion, of that I'm certain. I think.

My persuasion attempt aha. Southampton are only considered less dangerous than Leeds because there's a chance with Southampton, if points are level, that we still finish above them. However, Southampton are perilously close to overhauling our GD now, at which point we would have Leeds in 3rd and "other Leeds" in 4th.

Leeds and Southampton being locked on 93 points before final day is only palatable if we've won our two games and if Leicester are out of the picture. Otherwise it's the doomsday scenario.
Lovely. (n/t) on 21:36 - Apr 19 with 1524 viewsBloots

Southampton have lost their technical director… on 20:01 - Apr 19 by Illinoisblue

Born chippy

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Southampton have lost their technical director… on 10:12 - Apr 20 with 1126 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Southampton have lost their technical director… on 19:36 - Apr 19 by _clive_baker_

Yeah it’s a very weird take I agree. The (debatable) benefit of them still being in the hunt is far outweighed by them still being in the hunt. It’s just more competition, and another very very good side who could pip us. We need them and Leeds to drop points before we next play, and in doing so we would then need to win 2 games and not 3 to guarantee top 2. That’s a nice position to be in.

It's not a weird take it's a very obvious one. If Saints are consigned to the play-offs too early they will rest their best players/whole team, and therefore make it much easier for both Leeds and Leicester to get maximum points off them. There's only 2 spots up for grabs so unless we win every game (unlikely) we need the maximum amount of teams to have a tough run. If Leeds and Leicester get 3 points off Southampton there's a very strong chance those two take the top spots, and we're fecked.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Southampton have lost their technical director… on 10:24 - Apr 20 with 1097 viewsNeedhamChris

Southampton have lost their technical director… on 10:12 - Apr 20 by The_Flashing_Smile

It's not a weird take it's a very obvious one. If Saints are consigned to the play-offs too early they will rest their best players/whole team, and therefore make it much easier for both Leeds and Leicester to get maximum points off them. There's only 2 spots up for grabs so unless we win every game (unlikely) we need the maximum amount of teams to have a tough run. If Leeds and Leicester get 3 points off Southampton there's a very strong chance those two take the top spots, and we're fecked.

They can draw today and make Leicester midweek an absolute must-win though, they don't need to pick up maximum points.

Agree though - we need them in the running for now.

Poll: Was that the worst result in the clubs history?

Southampton have lost their technical director… on 11:35 - Apr 20 with 999 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Southampton have lost their technical director… on 10:24 - Apr 20 by NeedhamChris

They can draw today and make Leicester midweek an absolute must-win though, they don't need to pick up maximum points.

Agree though - we need them in the running for now.

Oh yeah I'd be happy with a draw, my point was them having something to play for is a good thing.

But anyway, we don't have any say in the matter so best to just sit back and see what happens. Leicester today and Leeds Monday both have very tricky games.

Southampton have lost their technical director… on 12:13 - Apr 20 with 930 views_clive_baker_

Southampton have lost their technical director… on 10:12 - Apr 20 by The_Flashing_Smile

But the point is Saints GD will likely be better than ours if they win their games, meaning they’re actually a potentially bigger threat than Leeds, and would mean we would need 3 wins to guarantee promotion rather than 2.
Southampton have lost their technical director… on 16:00 - Apr 20 with 820 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Southampton have lost their technical director… on 12:13 - Apr 20 by _clive_baker_

But the point is Saints GD will likely be better than ours if they win their games, meaning they’re actually a potentially bigger threat than Leeds, and would mean we would need 3 wins to guarantee promotion rather than 2.

Where have I said I want them to win all their games?!

Southampton have lost their technical director… on 16:06 - Apr 20 with 792 views_clive_baker_

Southampton have lost their technical director… on 16:00 - Apr 20 by The_Flashing_Smile

Where have I said I want them to win all their games?!

I didn’t say you did. But in them winning now it maximises the chances of that happening. And increases the chances of us going in to the last game with both Leeds and Saints above us, meaning any winner would finish above us.
Southampton have lost their technical director… on 16:34 - Apr 20 with 738 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Southampton have lost their technical director… on 16:06 - Apr 20 by _clive_baker_

I didn’t say you did. But in them winning now it maximises the chances of that happening. And increases the chances of us going in to the last game with both Leeds and Saints above us, meaning any winner would finish above us.

You literally replied to me with "the point is Saints GD will likely be better than ours if they win their games". I never said I wanted them to win their games. We need them to get enough points to still have something to play for v Leeds and Leicester... but not enough to overtake us - obviously!

If they don't get enough points to have a chance of automatic, then they're going to rest players for the play-offs. Meaning an excellent chance of 3 easy points for Leicester and Leeds. This is not difficult stuff!

Southampton have lost their technical director… on 16:47 - Apr 20 with 676 views_clive_baker_

Southampton have lost their technical director… on 16:34 - Apr 20 by The_Flashing_Smile

You literally replied to me with "the point is Saints GD will likely be better than ours if they win their games". I never said I wanted them to win their games. We need them to get enough points to still have something to play for v Leeds and Leicester... but not enough to overtake us - obviously!

If they don't get enough points to have a chance of automatic, then they're going to rest players for the play-offs. Meaning an excellent chance of 3 easy points for Leicester and Leeds. This is not difficult stuff!

I don’t want them to get a result at Leicester. They’re gone, with Preston & Blackburn left they’ll finish above us, of that I’m quite certain. I want them to slap Southampton and kill them off. If Leeds drop as much as a point in their next 2 then 2 wins would guarantee us top 2. I don’t want saints in that conversation.

There’s no guarantees at all Southampton will rest players and not want to go into the playoffs in good form. It’s also a stretch that they’re any less dangerous without any pressure on them going to Leeds to spoil the party.

Ultimately it’s all ifs and buts. Nothing we discuss on here or have a preference for is going to influence what happens so it’s a pretty pointless discussion for a sunny Saturday afternoon.
Southampton have lost their technical director… on 16:56 - Apr 20 with 625 viewsVegtablue

Southampton have lost their technical director… on 16:34 - Apr 20 by The_Flashing_Smile

It's logical to hope Southampton may be within 2 points of Leeds come final day, preferably with both on as few points as possible. I'd trust Southampton's 2nd team to be more competitive than most 1st teams in our division though, in the event they're no longer in touch. Players will be fighting for involvement in the playoffs, and Martin will want to keep standards high. The worst scenario is that both teams continue to win, as you say.

I wanted Southampton to draw today, but now a potential Middlesbrough win/draw on Monday becomes even more massive.
Southampton have lost their technical director… on 17:08 - Apr 20 with 591 viewsNeedhamChris

Southampton have lost their technical director… on 16:47 - Apr 20 by _clive_baker_

I don’t want them to get a result at Leicester. They’re gone, with Preston & Blackburn left they’ll finish above us, of that I’m quite certain. I want them to slap Southampton and kill them off. If Leeds drop as much as a point in their next 2 then 2 wins would guarantee us top 2. I don’t want saints in that conversation.

There’s no guarantees at all Southampton will rest players and not want to go into the playoffs in good form. It’s also a stretch that they’re any less dangerous without any pressure on them going to Leeds to spoil the party.

Ultimately it’s all ifs and buts. Nothing we discuss on here or have a preference for is going to influence what happens so it’s a pretty pointless discussion for a sunny Saturday afternoon.

I genuinely can't see any logical argument for wanting Leicester to beat Southampton.

Southampton have lost their technical director… on 17:11 - Apr 20 with 569 views_clive_baker_

Southampton have lost their technical director… on 17:08 - Apr 20 by NeedhamChris

I genuinely can't see any logical argument for wanting Leicester to beat Southampton.

I’ll take a draw now Saints lost today.

That would mean 1 win guarantees we finish above saints, keeps leicester in touch (although their final 2 on paper look favourable).

Realistically speaking, with todays results and the run ins it looks highly likely that it’s an Ipswich and Leeds shoot out now. We’ve got 2 points on them but they’ve got a better GD. It just comes down to Leeds dropping some points to make our task a bit easier now. Boro v Leeds is huge on Monday.
[Post edited 20 Apr 17:13]
Southampton have lost their technical director… on 17:35 - Apr 20 with 509 viewsNeedhamChris

Southampton have lost their technical director… on 17:11 - Apr 20 by _clive_baker_

I’ll take a draw now Saints lost today.

That would mean 1 win guarantees we finish above saints, keeps leicester in touch (although their final 2 on paper look favourable).

Realistically speaking, with todays results and the run ins it looks highly likely that it’s an Ipswich and Leeds shoot out now. We’ve got 2 points on them but they’ve got a better GD. It just comes down to Leeds dropping some points to make our task a bit easier now. Boro v Leeds is huge on Monday.
[Post edited 20 Apr 17:13]

Ah fair point - I didn't clock that was from before Cardiff's winner!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024