Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country 08:29 - Apr 24 with 5392 viewsNthQldITFC

...back towards a decent and fairish place to live.

Brazen shoplifting gangs item on R4 just now.
Clogged up justice system.
Experienced coppers disillusioned and gone.
Health services packing up.
Corporate disdain for environmental and human rights responsibilities.
Infrastructure absolutely f**ked.

...it goes on and on and on doesn't it.

Many of us are very well off with big investment portfolios, second homes, three cars, big pensions. We have taken too much and we have to start giving back if we don't want this to spiral down to an utterly dystopian sh!t-hole. Don't instinctively rebel against higher taxation without thinking why it is required.

Please think about society and environment before adding to your personal pile of 'wealth' if you value the thought of a decent future for you and yours and everybody else's.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 10:14 - Apr 24 with 1069 viewsEuropablue

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 08:51 - Apr 24 by Buhrer

I thought it was another post relaying the terror angst and stress the media say is ours to share; all the blame for the failures of humanity and everything is shat and the world is burning and... But its clearly not my fault, and the world likely isnt actually as bad as the hair shirt chest clutchers would make it seem. The fault lies with the elite, and i dont mean forum members, its nothing to do with a prole like me. Massive failure of leadership, what can I do about it? Gardening.

There are far too many minority interests lobbying for their own interests and that includes activists for whatever cause you can imagine that doesn't really have popular support but we are still subjected to and forced to pay for as well the minority of wealthy people rigging the system against hardworking people.
We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 10:33 - Apr 24 with 1038 viewsnoggin

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 10:11 - Apr 24 by Europablue

Even if Labour make things worse, if it forces the Conservatives to reconfigure themselves around traditional values and they actually follow through on the promise of Brexit to listen to what working class people (but just the majority of people in general) care about, England would be a much better place to live.
The dystopian possibility is that the SNP take charge and do away with any kind of free speech or women's rights and mess up public services and the economy to boot.

Blimey.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 10:42 - Apr 24 with 1014 viewsTangledupin_Blue

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 09:06 - Apr 24 by chicoazul

You’re not agitating for a change of government, you want higher taxation & for people to shut ip and take the medicine. Haven’t you learnt anything from the last couple decades? It won’t be the 1% paying for what you want regardless of a blue or a red team behind the door.
Very difficult to get past your “many” comment. All those teachers nurses and shop workers with huge Vanguard funds class 1 Berkshire Hathaway shares and second homes in Cornwall.

In a population of 66 million, 0.5% is 'many'.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 10:51 - Apr 24 with 984 viewsEuropablue

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 08:52 - Apr 24 by NthQldITFC

'Many' might be a smallish percentage, but still many. But I take your point. The balance is so far out now and social values have crumbled under a succession of increasingly filthy, kleptomaniac T*ry regimes. The 'many' need to be prepared to give back a lot more - but the mere hint of that sure does trigger some, doesn't it.

You are very shortsighted and biased if you can't see the lasting damage that Tony Blair and his Labour government did to our country.
I'll give you just the headline examples:
1) Allowed unlimited EU immigration from the ex soviet bloc countries when not even Germany did that.
2) He had a classist target of 50% of people going to university which signaled that working class jobs are not as valued as middleclass job, and it made people of adult age remain children for years longer, people who don't settle down also tend to be more selfish. There are less babies being born so that damages the whole economic model and means that we have a demographic time bomb. Now we have a whole generation of young adults who are highly educated and are taught to be activists despite never really living a day in the real world.
3) He led us into a war that was against our best interests, led to hundreds of deaths of our soldiers, probably thousands of civilians killed directly or indirectly due to our involvement, damaged our world standing, and made us less safe at home.

The Tory governments ever since have been following his policies and even going further along the same trajectory.
Starmer isn't fit to lead us, he can't even define a woman.
I'm not coming out in support of the Tories, but I know a lot of good people who are more left wing and good people who are more left wing. It is important to be caring, but at the same time we have to be successful to provide the wealth for welfare.
We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 10:53 - Apr 24 with 982 viewsGuthrum

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 10:03 - Apr 24 by Europablue

Higher taxation is only legitimate when you can trust that it is going to be well-directed.
Unfortunately, we have set up a society where individual rights always trump collective needs. Every single minority wants their voice to be heard and worse they want others to fund their priorities. The ultimate minority is the individual, and until there is a cultural shift towards family and community over the self, every civilization is doomed.

Indeed, it's the very antithesis of human civilisation, which first came into being through mass co-operation, people compromising to achieve a higher standard of living and security.

Modern individualism is based on bad 19th century interpretations of biology, outright myths about the US frontier and blind rejection of the purported ideals of authoritarian Soviet Communism. All cobbled together into an ideology happy to sacrifice society for short-term (often minimal) personal gain. Promoted by people who want to keep the massive wealth they've sometimes accumulated, but more often inherited. (and use to control the media and politics).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 10:53 - Apr 24 with 979 viewsNthQldITFC

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 10:05 - Apr 24 by noggin

"Economists have a fundamental blind spot about inequality; what they are obsessed about is growth."

Bang on. Economists and 'many' of the followers of the 'consume and grow' and 'don't tax me' culture seem to operate within a boat where they more or less understand what's going on inside the boat (maybe!) - shove more disadvantaged people down into steerage and get them manning the sweeps while we drag our friends up to the sundeck and build yet another sundeck on top for us - but they seem to have forgotten that their boat needs to float on the seas of a non-chaotic and lawful society and a stable natural environment.

That boat will sink.

It's blindingly fkn obvious unless you're so tied up in your own selfish issues that you can't see the sea for the $€€.

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 10:56 - Apr 24 with 963 viewsNthQldITFC

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 10:51 - Apr 24 by Europablue

You are very shortsighted and biased if you can't see the lasting damage that Tony Blair and his Labour government did to our country.
1) Allowed unlimited EU immigration from the ex soviet bloc countries when not even Germany did that.
2) He had a classist target of 50% of people going to university which signaled that working class jobs are not as valued as middleclass job, and it made people of adult age remain children for years longer, people who don't settle down also tend to be more selfish. There are less babies being born so that damages the whole economic model and means that we have a demographic time bomb. Now we have a whole generation of young adults who are highly educated and are taught to be activists despite never really living a day in the real world.
3) He led us into a war that was against our best interests, led to hundreds of deaths of our soldiers, probably thousands of civilians killed directly or indirectly due to our involvement, damaged our world standing, and made us less safe at home.

The Tory governments ever since have been following his policies and even going further along the same trajectory.
I'm not coming out in support of the Tories, but I know a lot of good people who are more left wing and good people who are more left wing. It is important to be caring, but at the same time we have to be successful to provide the wealth for welfare.

Yes. I'm not a fan of Blair either mate. It's not about juvenile party politics it's about fundamentally rebalancing our country.

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 10:59 - Apr 24 with 961 viewshomer_123

Sadly, without a grown up discussion, conversation and debate around what we want to be as a Country - it's moot anyway.

Add to that, as others have said, that those 'leading' (I use that phrase lightly) the Country aren't really fit for purpose (far to many lobbyists and interest groups let alone anything else), simply providing the current setup with more money will not lead to improvements.

It will simply continue the trend of decreasing social mobility and increase the gap between those that have and those that don't.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Login to get fewer ads

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 11:06 - Apr 24 with 935 viewsEuropablue

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 10:56 - Apr 24 by NthQldITFC

Yes. I'm not a fan of Blair either mate. It's not about juvenile party politics it's about fundamentally rebalancing our country.

I agree with you, but you set the wrong tone for rising above party politics when you say "T*ry scumbags".
My personal belief is that the government should enact policies that reflect the majority will of the people regardless of whether I agree or not, or course we should not infringe on human rights, but people like Kier Starmer are forever expanding the concept of human rights to involve better treatment than working people can afford to have and we are all expected to pay for it.
There are a lot of good people who vote for the Tories. I'm convinced that the majority of people actually vote against a party rather than for a party. I hate the whole party system and it doesn't work in a diverse country. If it's a country like Japan were you have the conservatives and the slightly-less-conservatives and a more collectivist culture then it can work.
We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 11:14 - Apr 24 with 917 viewsEuropablue

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 09:27 - Apr 24 by SuperKieranMcKenna

I’d say it’s as much a generational divide as anything. Anyone my age is struggling to pay a mortgage (and will probably never pay it off before I’m carted off in a box and the bank take the house). Meanwhile those 50+ were gifted discounted houses for a fiver courtesy of the taxpayer subsidies, leaving enough for that holiday home in Cyprus, and an obscenely large SUV.

Oh well, I best chip in that 2k I have in a low interest ISA so we can spaff it on lucrative contracts for MP’s next door neighbours.

Hopefully we’ll have some grown ups in charge at some point - but we are doomed to get the least worst option without PR.

Commoditizing housing is probably one of the most shortsighted policies of recent times. People who are well off will see a second or third home as an investment opportunity and they already have their home, so won't feel the squeeze.
We need to have a model that even people with the most modest incomes can aspire to. If you work hard and are not reckless with your money you should be able to own your own home, not struggle to make ends meet with two incomes and pay a huge chunk of your money to pay for your children to be subjected to substandard childcare.
We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 11:14 - Apr 24 with 916 viewsleitrimblue

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 10:03 - Apr 24 by Europablue

Higher taxation is only legitimate when you can trust that it is going to be well-directed.
Unfortunately, we have set up a society where individual rights always trump collective needs. Every single minority wants their voice to be heard and worse they want others to fund their priorities. The ultimate minority is the individual, and until there is a cultural shift towards family and community over the self, every civilization is doomed.

That's not a bad post
We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 11:15 - Apr 24 with 911 viewsleitrimblue

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 10:51 - Apr 24 by Europablue

This on the other hand
We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 11:18 - Apr 24 with 888 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 10:56 - Apr 24 by NthQldITFC

We can’t fix our country without fixing global cooperation, and sadly we are heading backwards on that front. Globalisation has become a race to the bottom with the likes of Cayman Islands, Ireland, and others chasing capital at the cost of fair taxation of wealth. Whilst the new global minimum taxation agreement sounds good on paper, the loopholes have already been devised (i.e offering tax reduction incentives elsewhere, for instance on employee taxes).

A new Cold War has emerged, and actual conflicts have erupted fueled by malign actors. We’ve seen Brexit, and likely to have a Trump presidency pushing isolationism, fixing the planet seems further away than ever.

All at a time when Town are finally seeing success- what’s the odds!
We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 11:25 - Apr 24 with 857 viewsEuropablue

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 11:15 - Apr 24 by leitrimblue

This on the other hand

Which part are you going to disagree with?
The only time recently that I have been positive for the political future of our country was when Boris won a landslide on the basis of promising to pay back his debt to the red wall. It was a sliding doors moment. Boris had the opportunity to reach across the aisle and consider the interests and beliefs of the majority of people and focus on what is common between most of us. My error was forgetting that it was Boris that had that opportunity and not me.
It was a huge tactical error. Boris missed an open goal, all he had to do was consider the interests of the working class and he could have destroyed the Labour Party forever. He could have given Scotland independence to skew the country to the right and set a template for governance for decades to come. Instead now it looks like children will get the vote and we will never have a chance to be a serious country again.
We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 11:27 - Apr 24 with 849 viewsEuropablue

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 11:18 - Apr 24 by SuperKieranMcKenna

We can’t fix our country without fixing global cooperation, and sadly we are heading backwards on that front. Globalisation has become a race to the bottom with the likes of Cayman Islands, Ireland, and others chasing capital at the cost of fair taxation of wealth. Whilst the new global minimum taxation agreement sounds good on paper, the loopholes have already been devised (i.e offering tax reduction incentives elsewhere, for instance on employee taxes).

A new Cold War has emerged, and actual conflicts have erupted fueled by malign actors. We’ve seen Brexit, and likely to have a Trump presidency pushing isolationism, fixing the planet seems further away than ever.

All at a time when Town are finally seeing success- what’s the odds!

At least something is going right.
I think I have something mentally wrong with me because how well Ipswich are doing has a huge influence on my outlook on life.
We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 11:30 - Apr 24 with 835 viewsleitrimblue

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 11:25 - Apr 24 by Europablue

Which part are you going to disagree with?
The only time recently that I have been positive for the political future of our country was when Boris won a landslide on the basis of promising to pay back his debt to the red wall. It was a sliding doors moment. Boris had the opportunity to reach across the aisle and consider the interests and beliefs of the majority of people and focus on what is common between most of us. My error was forgetting that it was Boris that had that opportunity and not me.
It was a huge tactical error. Boris missed an open goal, all he had to do was consider the interests of the working class and he could have destroyed the Labour Party forever. He could have given Scotland independence to skew the country to the right and set a template for governance for decades to come. Instead now it looks like children will get the vote and we will never have a chance to be a serious country again.

I will get back to you in about 10 mins on the post above if that OK?
All Boris had to do 'was consider the interests of the working class'.
Why the feck would anybody be gullible enough to believe Boris or his like would ever consider the interests of the working class?
We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 11:57 - Apr 24 with 783 viewsgiant_stow

Not sure why you got roughed up for talking sense. "Many" might not have quite been the right word, but:

"Median total wealth for individuals in Great Britain was estimated to be £125,000 between April 2018 and March 2020.

The mean was higher at £305,000, reflecting the uneven distribution of wealth across the population.

The wealthiest 10% of individuals were estimated to hold almost half of the wealth captured within the Wealth and Assets Survey (WAS)"

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/personalandhouseholdfinances

A someone says above, age seems to be the big divider.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 12:20 - Apr 24 with 731 viewsNthQldITFC

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 11:06 - Apr 24 by Europablue

I agree with you, but you set the wrong tone for rising above party politics when you say "T*ry scumbags".
My personal belief is that the government should enact policies that reflect the majority will of the people regardless of whether I agree or not, or course we should not infringe on human rights, but people like Kier Starmer are forever expanding the concept of human rights to involve better treatment than working people can afford to have and we are all expected to pay for it.
There are a lot of good people who vote for the Tories. I'm convinced that the majority of people actually vote against a party rather than for a party. I hate the whole party system and it doesn't work in a diverse country. If it's a country like Japan were you have the conservatives and the slightly-less-conservatives and a more collectivist culture then it can work.

Yes, point taken. They're the worst we've ever seen by far and they're the current incumbents, but still, yes, point taken.

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 12:29 - Apr 24 with 703 viewsJ2BLUE

You've convinced me mate.

Just sold my (fractional) share in BP on Trading 212. Now, where should I invest that £5.51?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 12:32 - Apr 24 with 692 viewsSwansea_Blue

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 11:57 - Apr 24 by giant_stow

Not sure why you got roughed up for talking sense. "Many" might not have quite been the right word, but:

"Median total wealth for individuals in Great Britain was estimated to be £125,000 between April 2018 and March 2020.

The mean was higher at £305,000, reflecting the uneven distribution of wealth across the population.

The wealthiest 10% of individuals were estimated to hold almost half of the wealth captured within the Wealth and Assets Survey (WAS)"

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/personalandhouseholdfinances

A someone says above, age seems to be the big divider.

Interesting. Age yes, but just from eying it education level might be the characteristic that results in the largest disparity in wealth. Which isn't such a surprise really as it tends to lead to people ending up in the better paid jobs.

Which always strikes me as strange that Blair's push on education was criticised further up the thread. I can't see why broadening education a bad thing? It's never bad to learn.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 12:32 - Apr 24 with 691 viewsNthQldITFC

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 12:29 - Apr 24 by J2BLUE

You've convinced me mate.

Just sold my (fractional) share in BP on Trading 212. Now, where should I invest that £5.51?

Umbrella or kayak seems pertinent today.

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 12:37 - Apr 24 with 666 viewsJ2BLUE

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 12:32 - Apr 24 by NthQldITFC

Umbrella or kayak seems pertinent today.

Kayak??!?!?!?

With all that flying?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 12:54 - Apr 24 with 616 viewsKropotkin123

There are less babies being born so that damages the whole economic model and means that we have a demographic time bomb. Now we have a whole generation of young adults who are highly educated and are taught to be activists despite never really living a day in the real world.

Absolute nonsense. Clearly not of this generation you are talking about.

1. We can't save money to buy a house because houses are X times our salaries, and we pay X about in rent, which is X times higher than previous generations.
2. When we finally can afford the deposit we still can't get a house because the house is more than 4.5 times our salaries and banks think we are too risky compared to previous generations leveraging their existing properties to have another rental.
3. When we can finally afford a home it is a small apartment, not a house, so we don't have the room to fill it with children.
4. We are also unlikely to have pensions for later on in life, so we are balancing children against sorting out our own long-term future.
5. Many of us struggled to get decent jobs, because we entered employment during an economic crash and prolonged down turn. Many of my generation were also laid off and hit hard when there was a global pandemic.

In the meantime, it is our fault, because we were brazen enough to get an education. Previous generations are not the least but interested in looking introspectively, so we are labelled "activists" as if caring for the planet is a negative.

For my generation, it is pretty simple, our futures are screwed on multiple fronts, due to the selfishness of some of the generations before us - climate change denial and inaction, proliferation of multiple home ownership, decimation of public services, erosion of corporate benefits, and on and on.

And what do you care about going into the next election? Not rectifying these issues, it is over the definition of what a woman is. And you say we never lived a day in the real world... Time to wake up, mate!
[Post edited 24 Apr 12:59]

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 13:00 - Apr 24 with 583 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 12:32 - Apr 24 by Swansea_Blue

Interesting. Age yes, but just from eying it education level might be the characteristic that results in the largest disparity in wealth. Which isn't such a surprise really as it tends to lead to people ending up in the better paid jobs.

Which always strikes me as strange that Blair's push on education was criticised further up the thread. I can't see why broadening education a bad thing? It's never bad to learn.

You are confusing income with wealth though. Income and education do not equal wealth. I have the equivalent of two degrees and a well paid job, however like most my people my age virtually no assets. The older generation saw huge capital gains on cheap properties regardless of their incomes whilst now you need 10 times salary to buy a tiny box. Likewise, the wealthiest pay themselves in dividends and other lower tax means, which is why the obsession with income tax rates is just tinkering around the edges.

It’s only going to get worse for the following generations.
We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 13:11 - Apr 24 with 543 viewsReus30

I just think society has shifted so that 90% of people think to put their own self-interests first and this is an attitude from the top 1%s trickling all the way down.

I mean it doesn't help that our government and authorities are run by unqualified gimps.

I am not intending to make any sacrifices. I will be kind to others but that's all I have, everything else has just been frittered away and I don't have the benefit of a large pension or holiday home to hide in or disposal income to give me an joy. Existing is now the British way of life. We are just a number.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024