Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Premiership? Do we have a strong enough squad? 12:08 - Apr 28 with 4734 viewsSneakysquid

What’s everyone’s thoughts of players stepping up to the next level? it’s a big step!
Premiership? Do we have a strong enough squad? on 12:56 - Apr 29 with 337 viewsmonty_radio

Premiership? Do we have a strong enough squad? on 12:39 - Apr 28 by pointofblue

We'd probably need a Forest style overhaul, which I'd personally hate considering what these players have done for us over the past couple of seasons.
[Post edited 28 Apr 12:39]

Definitely new players would be needed (who have almost certainly already been earmarked, given the way this club is now being run). But Forest did not have McKenna, the man that makes silk purses out of ....... well, you know.

Instead they had massive churn, disruption and intrusive ownership. 5-6 would be needed, but retaining more than some have suggested as bench back-up should make us as competitive as Luton, but with a greater depth of talent ........ and McKenna!

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Premiership? Do we have a strong enough squad? on 13:15 - Apr 29 with 320 viewsjayessess

Think individual players sometimes surprise you with their quality at higher levels and I think all our regular players you could see something that might enable them to contribute in the Premier League.

I'm sure some would find themselves out of their depth, but you'd have to trust the core of them to step up, provided they get support from 7/8 high level recruits.
[Post edited 29 Apr 13:34]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Premiership? Do we have a strong enough squad? on 14:04 - Apr 29 with 274 viewsjayessess

Premiership? Do we have a strong enough squad? on 12:56 - Apr 29 by monty_radio

Definitely new players would be needed (who have almost certainly already been earmarked, given the way this club is now being run). But Forest did not have McKenna, the man that makes silk purses out of ....... well, you know.

Instead they had massive churn, disruption and intrusive ownership. 5-6 would be needed, but retaining more than some have suggested as bench back-up should make us as competitive as Luton, but with a greater depth of talent ........ and McKenna!

Think there are a bunch of things that contribute to teams staying up that aren't straightforwardly about squad strength at promotion. Luton should be nailed on for 20th but aren't, keys being:

Context - There are 8 teams in the PL who aren't realistically ever going to be in relegation trouble, but how many of the other 9 incumbent teams are in a good place (in terms of finances, management, club governance generally)? Having 2 or 3 take a turn for the worse is useful, as is getting promoted with a couple of other teams that aren't in great shape.

Manager - obviously a huge help if everyone at the club believes in the manager and he's got the skill to set the team up to beat your peers. You've only really got to win 8+ games to be in with a shout of 17th, there are opportunities to do that even with limited players if you can take your chances and manage games well.

Recruitment - there's often a lot of focus on who isn't good enough, but often the challenge isn't that you've got too many liabilities, it's that you don't have enough players with the kind of quality that really hurts opposition teams at that level. Well-organised and coached Championship players are often athletic enough and technically skilled enough to do a job in the PL if you have three really class players that make the difference in tight games.
[Post edited 29 Apr 14:30]

Premiership? Do we have a strong enough squad? on 14:26 - Apr 29 with 254 viewstractorboy1978

I always find this a bit of a silly question. We aren't going to have the exact same squad whether we go up or not.

With a few additions we'd be competitive with the teams in the bottom half of the division. A lot to be said for continuity. We don't need a huge overhaul.
Premiership? Do we have a strong enough squad? on 14:33 - Apr 29 with 247 viewsKieran_Knows

Premiership? Do we have a strong enough squad? on 14:26 - Apr 29 by tractorboy1978

I always find this a bit of a silly question. We aren't going to have the exact same squad whether we go up or not.

With a few additions we'd be competitive with the teams in the bottom half of the division. A lot to be said for continuity. We don't need a huge overhaul.

I do feel like this summer will be quite a big one regardless of what division we're going to be in;

5 loan players to go back;
Williams
Hutchinson
Sarmiento
Moore
Travis

8 players who's contracts are ending;
Walton
Ball
Burgess
Jackson
Aluko
Hladky
Tuanzebe
Donacien

More than likely we'll look to sell Ladapo, El Mizouni and Ahadme, plus Camara's out of contract as well.

Potential to lose up to 10-12 players there (suspect we will take the option in 2-3 of those out of contract), and that's before you get other clubs interested in our players.
[Post edited 29 Apr 14:34]

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Premiership? Do we have a strong enough squad? on 14:52 - Apr 29 with 220 viewsdirtyboy

Premiership? Do we have a strong enough squad? on 14:33 - Apr 29 by Kieran_Knows

I do feel like this summer will be quite a big one regardless of what division we're going to be in;

Williams
Hutchinson
Sarmiento
Moore
Travis

Walton
Ball
Burgess
Jackson
Aluko
Hladky
Tuanzebe
Donacien

More than likely we'll look to sell Ladapo, El Mizouni and Ahadme, plus Camara's out of contract as well.

Potential to lose up to 10-12 players there (suspect we will take the option in 2-3 of those out of contract), and that's before you get other clubs interested in our players.

Nice to think that the spine of the team remains in place to a large extent.

Clarke, Woolf, Burgess (1 year option), Davis
Morsy, Luongo, Taylor
Broadhead, Burns, Chaplin
Hirst

Think Tuanzebe will be kept.

Williams was a big shame, just realised he took up a place and never really gave us anything to support at RB or LB.

If we went up, Hutchinson becomes #1 priority for me.

I think we need some pace in the middle, although Taylor has all the right attributes, we'll need another there. Sheaf for me is the player I think would suit us briliantly.

Asprilla would be a great player to interchange with Burns.

Up top....Hirst I'm confident can do a job at the next level again, we'll see him continue to improve. Latte Lath for his pace would be a nice signing, feel like we'd need some extra speed across the team in PL as we'd not have anywhere near as much of the ball and will need to make the most of counter attacks.

That said.....who knows what McKenna can do?!
Premiership? Do we have a strong enough squad? on 15:01 - Apr 29 with 211 viewsjayessess

Premiership? Do we have a strong enough squad? on 14:33 - Apr 29 by Kieran_Knows

Williams
Hutchinson
Sarmiento
Moore
Travis

Walton
Ball
Burgess
Jackson
Aluko
Hladky
Tuanzebe
Donacien

Think the names make this look like more of a transformation than it is really.

Williams, Ladapo, El Mizouni, Ahadme, Camara and Ndaba are basically gone already.
Walton, Ball, Aluko and Donacien have played less than 4 full games in the league between them.
Hladky, Burgess and Tuanzebe will almost certainly get new contracts or extensions.

So in terms of active squad personnel, you're looking at:
Hutchinson
Sarmiento (who might continue next season)
Jackson (who we might renew if we're still in the Championship)
Travis (who has 2 starts since Morsy's suspension ended)
Moore (who we could conceivably sign permanently and who looks to be second choice when Hirst is fit)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024