Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
i feel sorry for Christian Walton. 19:27 - Apr 28 with 2999 viewsMelford

Didn't put a foot wrong last season. Gets injured in August and Hladky comes in and has the season of his life. Has to sit on the bench watching what we have done this season. Perils of being a goalkeeper I suppose.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

i feel sorry for Christian Walton. on 08:13 - Apr 29 with 338 viewsChrisd

i feel sorry for Christian Walton. on 19:55 - Apr 28 by Melford

Trouble is when they come in for the odd game they are proper rusty. Best to keep with whoever is in if they are doing well and the team are winning.

Spot on! Maidstone’s two goals were well taken, not scruffy affairs.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

i feel sorry for Christian Walton. on 08:19 - Apr 29 with 318 viewsgrow_our_own

Unlikely to change the keeper at this late stage of the season, but Walton wouldn't be far off in other circumstances. He's always been the better shot stopper. Walton doesn't concede that 30 yard free-kick at Norwich IMO, and he parries wide or catches the header for Hull's third. We need a keeper with Hladky's feet and Walton's hands.
[Post edited 29 Apr 8:26]
i feel sorry for Christian Walton. on 10:22 - Apr 29 with 227 viewscrouchendyachtclub

i feel sorry for Christian Walton. on 19:58 - Apr 28 by HighgateBlue

And against Fulham in November also had a poor game.

Vaz has been the right choice. It's sometimes frustrating to see him punch rather than catch (see 3rd goal v Hull) but overall he's a high risk-high reward goalkeeper who has stayed the right side of the risk-reward ratio this season, and has had a hard task in what has to be seen as a pretty attacking set up. And by the way he of course also helps facilitate that attack when on song.

Hladky was definitely the correct choice in the first half of the season. I feel like his mistakes possibly outweigh his genius since January though.

I wonder whether given the time again KMK would have swapped Walton in at the turn of the year. We were experiencing a dip in form so not an ideal time for changing a GK but I suspect we would be in at least the same position with in goal over the last 4 months and those goals we were scoring that start with a Hladky pass seem to have dried up.

If we go up I would expect Walton to do much better than Hladky in the PL too, far too many errors and general craziness to not get punished. Walton seems like the better option there, even if you lose a little in playing out of the back.
i feel sorry for Christian Walton. on 11:06 - Apr 29 with 195 viewssouthnorfolkblue

i feel sorry for Christian Walton. on 19:39 - Apr 28 by blueasfook

He hardly made a case for himself in the FA Cup against Maidstone. 2 shots on target, 2 goals. I think Vaz has been the right choice this season.

If you’re going to beat him with that stick, you need to call out the other 10 that were in front of him.

Vas has taken his opportunity brilliantly and whilst I think Walton is the better keeper, I totally get why he has to sit out the season on the bench. I’m not sure Vas necessarily gets the nod next season.

Poll: Our final position

i feel sorry for Christian Walton. on 14:55 - Apr 29 with 128 viewsSharkey

'Didn't put a foot wrong' last season is not true. There was a period around January last year when people were wondering if Walton should be rested, with some people saying no only because they had zero faith in Hladky. Looking again at the Charlton 4-4, you'd think that just under the law of averages Walton would have saved two of them. There's one low down where you can argue he has a long way to get down, being so tall... but then he's beaten by one looped over his head, and there's another where he pushes a ball out into the danger area, just like Hladky did against Hull. There was about a month when he looked wobbly - but he certainly came back very very strong after that from there on in.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024