Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is this squad better than 1999/00? 01:03 - May 1 with 1009 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Or just 'different'

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Is this squad better than 1999/00? on 01:33 - May 1 with 936 viewsmylittletown

That is probably an impossible comparison, but I would say that the 1999/2000 sqaud had more players who had good Premiership experience:Croft, Mowbray, Venus, Magilton.
It also had players who would go on to play regularly in the Premiership after they left Ipswich: Wright (sort of), Bramble, Clapham, Scowcroft and Stewart.
When you look at it like that it really was strong squad.
Time alone will tell, I suppose.
Is this squad better than 1999/00? on 02:09 - May 1 with 876 viewswkj

Impossible comparison with how the game has progressed. If you listen to Life's a Pitch you'll often get Butcher commenting on how much more fit the players are as time goes on.

In 99/00 we were a well oiled machine that was playing attractive football and were expected to succeed.

In 23/24 we were a well oiled machine that was playing attractive football and were not expected to succeed.

If TWTD becomes TATD on Saturday again, then every one of the players in that squad get to stand shoulder to shoulder with Holland, Magilton, Venus... et all - that is for sure.

The one thing I am more confident about is that McKenna and GC20 will be able to solidify us in the premier league, even if we finish far from 5th in our first season back. Burley and Sheepshanks sadly missed the mark and spent money we were expecting that ultimately fell through, this time we seem to have the investment needed up front which bodes well for our future.

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Is this squad better than 1999/00? on 05:24 - May 1 with 727 viewsMK1

This side have a hell of a lot of spirit, yet I feel that the 2000 squad probably edges it on talent. Hard to compare the 2, but I feel that this is a better group rather than individual talent. The team spirit and togetherness of this squad is a joy to behold.
Is this squad better than 1999/00? on 05:58 - May 1 with 683 viewschicoazul

Better to compare it to 92. A motley collection of misfits youth players cast offs and a couple of judicious buys for relative pennies achieve amazing success against fashionable teams spending big money to get promotion.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Is this squad better than 1999/00? on 07:49 - May 1 with 401 viewsRe_User

Is this squad better than 1999/00? on 05:58 - May 1 by chicoazul

Better to compare it to 92. A motley collection of misfits youth players cast offs and a couple of judicious buys for relative pennies achieve amazing success against fashionable teams spending big money to get promotion.

This is spot on. Huge similarities between the two.
Is this squad better than 1999/00? on 08:55 - May 1 with 274 viewsitfc_bucks

Is this squad better than 1999/00? on 02:09 - May 1 by wkj

Impossible comparison with how the game has progressed. If you listen to Life's a Pitch you'll often get Butcher commenting on how much more fit the players are as time goes on.

In 99/00 we were a well oiled machine that was playing attractive football and were expected to succeed.

In 23/24 we were a well oiled machine that was playing attractive football and were not expected to succeed.

If TWTD becomes TATD on Saturday again, then every one of the players in that squad get to stand shoulder to shoulder with Holland, Magilton, Venus... et all - that is for sure.

The one thing I am more confident about is that McKenna and GC20 will be able to solidify us in the premier league, even if we finish far from 5th in our first season back. Burley and Sheepshanks sadly missed the mark and spent money we were expecting that ultimately fell through, this time we seem to have the investment needed up front which bodes well for our future.

We'll never be TATD - some of us remember how that went last time...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024