Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Town's "time out" strategy 09:34 - May 1 with 982 viewsRadlett_blue

Was that in evidence again last night, when Burns went down after 25 minutes? We'd been having a sticky spell, so a break & McKenna having a little word was probably in our interests, although it didn't seem to have an immediate impact, as Coventry continued to dominate for a while.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Town's "time out" strategy on 09:36 - May 1 with 928 viewsFtnfwest

worked brilliantly at Millwall when Hutch went down after 20 minutes (they were all over us early on but after that, one way traffic)
Town's "time out" strategy on 09:41 - May 1 with 883 viewsdavblue

I think that’s from the Ainsworth playbook, I think we learned some lessons from Wycombe when we lost at Adams park. We’ve been more streetwise since that game in managing games.
Town's "time out" strategy on 09:45 - May 1 with 837 viewsNutkins_Return

Yep thought exactly the same.

We did have a lot of players going down toward the end. For the most part I actually think they were genuine. We were really on last legs after a hell of a shift. Credit to Coventry for that after their schedule.
Town's "time out" strategy on 10:06 - May 1 with 701 viewsAlberto_the_frog

I thought it was funny seeing Kieran waving at him to get up while probably thinking what he could do with the down time.
Town's "time out" strategy on 10:13 - May 1 with 616 viewsRadlett_blue

Town's "time out" strategy on 09:45 - May 1 by Nutkins_Return

Yep thought exactly the same.

We did have a lot of players going down toward the end. For the most part I actually think they were genuine. We were really on last legs after a hell of a shift. Credit to Coventry for that after their schedule.

Well, everyone does it & though it's an unattractive tactic, it's impossible to police unless a rule comes in whereby if the trainer comes on, a plyers then can't return for at least a minute.
I've seen the "time out" strategy before & McKenna has clearly adopted it. Unfortunately, if others are adopting such strategies, we'd be putting ourselves at a disadvantage by doing it.
The downside of injury time wasting is that now you can get huge amounts of time added on & this works to the disadvantage of the team trying to hold on, as once the clock gets to 90 minutes, you will naturally think you are nearly there, but last night there were 11 added minutes, although 4 of them were down to the change of referee.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Town's "time out" strategy on 10:16 - May 1 with 589 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Town's "time out" strategy on 09:41 - May 1 by davblue

I think that’s from the Ainsworth playbook, I think we learned some lessons from Wycombe when we lost at Adams park. We’ve been more streetwise since that game in managing games.

Indeed that first McKenna season we were a little naive, we learned a lot though. So much more streetwise now - falling on top of the ball is another thing, so they oppo can’t knock it away and prevent a quick free kick, and the niggly tactical fouls to break up a team’s flow.
Town's "time out" strategy on 10:30 - May 1 with 526 viewsdryas

That's what I thought at the time. When in Rome .......
Town's "time out" strategy on 10:35 - May 1 with 494 viewswitchdoctor

Town's "time out" strategy on 10:13 - May 1 by Radlett_blue

Well, everyone does it & though it's an unattractive tactic, it's impossible to police unless a rule comes in whereby if the trainer comes on, a plyers then can't return for at least a minute.
I've seen the "time out" strategy before & McKenna has clearly adopted it. Unfortunately, if others are adopting such strategies, we'd be putting ourselves at a disadvantage by doing it.
The downside of injury time wasting is that now you can get huge amounts of time added on & this works to the disadvantage of the team trying to hold on, as once the clock gets to 90 minutes, you will naturally think you are nearly there, but last night there were 11 added minutes, although 4 of them were down to the change of referee.

4 minutes ?…:and the rest..
Login to get fewer ads

Town's "time out" strategy on 10:36 - May 1 with 477 viewsfooters

They are jolly nice but I'm not sure you can put our success down to a chocolate wafer.

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Town's "time out" strategy on 10:43 - May 1 with 449 viewsParky

Was quite funny seeing Broadhead go down and then swiftly getting up when he saw Burns stay down for our usual tactical break.

As others have said, having that edge of shíthousery is what we missed for years. Little things like delaying the kick-off to have our huddle every week as well.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024