Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Let the gossip commence 19:24 - May 1 with 4849 viewsvilanovablue

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/may/01/brighton-ipswich-kieran-mckenna

Apologies if already posted.
Let the gossip commence on 19:29 - May 1 with 3375 viewsMK1

The sort of job he could of been tempted by if we weren't going up.
Not saying no chance, but think we will give it a go with us in the Premier League for now.
Let the gossip commence on 19:31 - May 1 with 3344 viewspeterleeblue

Doubt that happens if we can nail a point on Saturday.
Let the gossip commence on 19:32 - May 1 with 3333 views_clive_baker_

Got to be tempting to be fair. Progressive and stable premier league club, perfect stepping stone towards someone like United.

Brighton has always felt like a very obvious fit for him. Hopefully if we get promoted it makes it a little harder to walk away.
Let the gossip commence on 20:28 - May 1 with 3162 viewsBluedandy

If we go up there's absolutely no chance of KM leaving Town for Brighton .. exceptionally run though they are the Seagulls are a smaller club.

It would be a sideways move at best to a club operating at the very peak of its potential but which has plenty of downside.

KM can achieve a great deal more with us in the top flight ... he won't jump ship in the summer because a seaside club with little history and mild delusions of grandeur is waving some extra dosh under his nose.

When KM leaves it will be for a genuinely much bigger club.
Let the gossip commence on 07:24 - May 2 with 2836 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Just regurgitating what's already gone before.

Tuesday's match report is much better;

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/apr/30/coventry-ipswich-championship-m

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Let the gossip commence on 08:28 - May 2 with 2620 viewscbower

Watching McKenna stand and take in the crowd on Tuesday would suggest he knows he has more business to deliver for this club to me, not just Saturday.

bluescouser

Let the gossip commence on 08:50 - May 2 with 2551 viewspointofblue

I've always thought Brighton and West Ham were the ones to watch, should anyone come in for McKenna.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Let the gossip commence on 09:05 - May 2 with 2466 viewsSomethingBlue

Interesting one for McKenna because, from one perspective, there's the thought that if we go up and get relegated next season your stock is (rightly or wrongly) never going to be as high again. You have to take opportunities at a perfect point in the career arc and that takes tough decisions. Doubt any top clubs will be going for Rob Edwards next season much as he's a cracking coach and great bloke. On the other hand, if he has a good season in the PL with us there'll probably be a vacancy at Spurs in a year and that would be a very obvious fit by then.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Login to get fewer ads

Let the gossip commence on 09:09 - May 2 with 2439 viewschicoazul

Let the gossip commence on 09:05 - May 2 by SomethingBlue

Interesting one for McKenna because, from one perspective, there's the thought that if we go up and get relegated next season your stock is (rightly or wrongly) never going to be as high again. You have to take opportunities at a perfect point in the career arc and that takes tough decisions. Doubt any top clubs will be going for Rob Edwards next season much as he's a cracking coach and great bloke. On the other hand, if he has a good season in the PL with us there'll probably be a vacancy at Spurs in a year and that would be a very obvious fit by then.

Why do you think Ange is going fam
I’d take him in a heartbeat if it came to that

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Let the gossip commence on 09:09 - May 2 with 2434 viewsbaxterbasics

I think the only thing that's going to tempt KM away at this point is a ManU or similar club making a move. Which is probably unlikely before he has cut his teeth in the PL. If he makes a reasonable fist of things next season but still end up relegated then all bets are off, that will be when a Brighton or West Ham give him a punt.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Let the gossip commence on 09:13 - May 2 with 2408 viewsSomethingBlue

Let the gossip commence on 09:09 - May 2 by chicoazul

Why do you think Ange is going fam
I’d take him in a heartbeat if it came to that

Never felt like more than a two-year appointment to me and I don't think he'll get them to the needed level – it's a weird club and I think things will fray by the end of next season, already some signs. I like him too, he's great.

Let the gossip commence on 09:19 - May 2 with 2380 viewsWestcountryblue

You'd think 1 more point would put an end to any gossip like that.

Brighton and Ipswich are similar clubs in terms of size, surrounding population, infrastructure etc..i'd be more concerned about a larger Premiership or Bundesliga club coming in for McKenna.

With that said, i think McKenna probably quite likes the element of building something (which he has done) the sense of pride that brings.
Let the gossip commence on 09:22 - May 2 with 2363 viewsHackneyblueboy

Let the gossip commence on 09:05 - May 2 by SomethingBlue

You think he'd be tempted SB? I think if we were in Championship it would be no brainer for him but if we get promoted are Brighton really that much more enticing than staying.
Let the gossip commence on 09:26 - May 2 with 2334 viewsPhilTWTD

Let the gossip commence on 09:22 - May 2 by Hackneyblueboy

You think he'd be tempted SB? I think if we were in Championship it would be no brainer for him but if we get promoted are Brighton really that much more enticing than staying.

Brighton are a step or so ahead of where we would be having been promoted. Looking at things with brutal honesty, keeping us - or any side which has just been promoted two divisions - up will be a very difficult task next year and, as Something says, managers can go from hero to zero very quickly.
Let the gossip commence on 09:40 - May 2 with 2258 viewsEuropablue

Let the gossip commence on 09:26 - May 2 by PhilTWTD

Brighton are a step or so ahead of where we would be having been promoted. Looking at things with brutal honesty, keeping us - or any side which has just been promoted two divisions - up will be a very difficult task next year and, as Something says, managers can go from hero to zero very quickly.

A manager's stock can go down very quickly, but if we were in the bottom three at Christmas and McKenna got sacked, we should riot. KM deserves his shot at the Prem and even if we get relegated, financially we will be so much better off that we can keep building the squad for the Premier League the next season in the Championship and then be very ready for another crack at the top league.
Let the gossip commence on 09:45 - May 2 with 2224 viewsPhilTWTD

Let the gossip commence on 09:40 - May 2 by Europablue

A manager's stock can go down very quickly, but if we were in the bottom three at Christmas and McKenna got sacked, we should riot. KM deserves his shot at the Prem and even if we get relegated, financially we will be so much better off that we can keep building the squad for the Premier League the next season in the Championship and then be very ready for another crack at the top league.

That's not really what I meant. Of course, if KM was sacked midway through the season, then that would be ridiculous. But as Something says, KM may not get the chance to get a job at a more established Premier League club again. Look at George Burley in 2001, Manager of the Year but never got to the same heights again. I think it's a far from unlikely scenario this summer, unfortunately.
Let the gossip commence on 09:48 - May 2 with 2201 viewsSomethingBlue

Let the gossip commence on 09:22 - May 2 by Hackneyblueboy

I think we can get to their level with the way our club is progressing – but they are a few years ahead of us by any measure and the building blocks are in place for a manager looking to push on in what can be a short career. It would be much more toss of a coin on whether we could have a proper stab at staying up at the first attempt. Some managers would take that chance, some wouldn't.

Let the gossip commence on 10:09 - May 2 with 2108 viewstractorboy1978

Let the gossip commence on 09:45 - May 2 by PhilTWTD

That's not really what I meant. Of course, if KM was sacked midway through the season, then that would be ridiculous. But as Something says, KM may not get the chance to get a job at a more established Premier League club again. Look at George Burley in 2001, Manager of the Year but never got to the same heights again. I think it's a far from unlikely scenario this summer, unfortunately.

Brighton are obviously a very well run club but they aren't immune to getting relegated. It's an interesting one because you look at them this season and over the last 25 games they are 15th in the form table. Over the last 10 they are 17th. Their recruitment has been spot on but you wonder if they can continue that ad-infinitum - probably not. De Zerbi seems to be getting itchy feet and frustrated because they can't match his ambitions.

The gap between where we both were 9 months ago felt huge but it's smaller now. I think there is more kudos for McKenna in keeping us up (if we go up!) then there would be in an upper mid-table finish with Brighton. He would back himself to keep us up with the kind of backing he knows he would get as well.
[Post edited 2 May 10:09]
Let the gossip commence on 10:11 - May 2 with 2083 viewsITFCBlues

Let the gossip commence on 20:28 - May 1 by Bluedandy

If we go up there's absolutely no chance of KM leaving Town for Brighton .. exceptionally run though they are the Seagulls are a smaller club.

It would be a sideways move at best to a club operating at the very peak of its potential but which has plenty of downside.

KM can achieve a great deal more with us in the top flight ... he won't jump ship in the summer because a seaside club with little history and mild delusions of grandeur is waving some extra dosh under his nose.

When KM leaves it will be for a genuinely much bigger club.

It's not a sideways step though is it...Fully established PL club who will have far more funds to spend than us...

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Let the gossip commence on 10:17 - May 2 with 2042 viewsITFCBlues

Let the gossip commence on 10:09 - May 2 by tractorboy1978

Brighton are obviously a very well run club but they aren't immune to getting relegated. It's an interesting one because you look at them this season and over the last 25 games they are 15th in the form table. Over the last 10 they are 17th. Their recruitment has been spot on but you wonder if they can continue that ad-infinitum - probably not. De Zerbi seems to be getting itchy feet and frustrated because they can't match his ambitions.

The gap between where we both were 9 months ago felt huge but it's smaller now. I think there is more kudos for McKenna in keeping us up (if we go up!) then there would be in an upper mid-table finish with Brighton. He would back himself to keep us up with the kind of backing he knows he would get as well.
[Post edited 2 May 10:09]

Are we saying De Zebri, with all his experience and links to europes biggest clubs, is of a similar level to KM in terms of where their careers are at?

If KM keeps us up next season (Assuming we go up!) then that's by far his biggest achievement - would surpass gaining promotion this season.

We're going to be hampered by FFP still with 1 season still being on L1 incomes & PL clubs are throwing 20-30m at players without a care. If we're also realistic, a lot of what we've done here is built around the atmosphere & togetherness of the squad. For a lot of these players, it'll be a HUGE jump up next season. It's a massive ask to keep us up.

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Let the gossip commence on 10:19 - May 2 with 2028 viewsHackneyblueboy

Let the gossip commence on 09:48 - May 2 by SomethingBlue

I think we can get to their level with the way our club is progressing – but they are a few years ahead of us by any measure and the building blocks are in place for a manager looking to push on in what can be a short career. It would be much more toss of a coin on whether we could have a proper stab at staying up at the first attempt. Some managers would take that chance, some wouldn't.

You would hope that Ashton and gamechanger have a succession strategy in the works. Whatever happens we know KMac won't be with us forever. We need to look at clubs like Brighton who have lost successful managers and not let it derail them
Let the gossip commence on 10:32 - May 2 with 1962 viewsLA_Tractor_Boy

Let the gossip commence on 10:11 - May 2 by ITFCBlues

It's not a sideways step though is it...Fully established PL club who will have far more funds to spend than us...

Exactly this. Brighton have just posted a profit of £123m. That's not money Tony Bloom wants back.

The theory amongst BHA fans is that he's waiting until this summer to spend the 'Chelsea' money on players of PL clubs that are the wrong side of FFP.
Let the gossip commence on 10:39 - May 2 with 1911 viewsBluedandy

Let the gossip commence on 10:11 - May 2 by ITFCBlues

You genuinely think after securing back to back promotions KM would turn round to Ashton and say do you know what I'm off to Brighton because they've got a bigger transfer kitty?

He would relish the chance of not just surviving but thriving in the PL backed by owners who are hugely ambitious.

It ain't happening if we go up.
Let the gossip commence on 10:44 - May 2 with 1879 viewsLankHenners

Let the gossip commence on 10:39 - May 2 by Bluedandy

You genuinely think after securing back to back promotions KM would turn round to Ashton and say do you know what I'm off to Brighton because they've got a bigger transfer kitty?

He would relish the chance of not just surviving but thriving in the PL backed by owners who are hugely ambitious.

It ain't happening if we go up.

"He would relish the chance of not just surviving but thriving in the PL backed by owners who are hugely ambitious."

So what Brighton would offer then.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Let the gossip commence on 10:49 - May 2 with 1833 viewstractorboy1978

Let the gossip commence on 10:17 - May 2 by ITFCBlues

Are we saying De Zebri, with all his experience and links to europes biggest clubs, is of a similar level to KM in terms of where their careers are at?

If KM keeps us up next season (Assuming we go up!) then that's by far his biggest achievement - would surpass gaining promotion this season.

We're going to be hampered by FFP still with 1 season still being on L1 incomes & PL clubs are throwing 20-30m at players without a care. If we're also realistic, a lot of what we've done here is built around the atmosphere & togetherness of the squad. For a lot of these players, it'll be a HUGE jump up next season. It's a massive ask to keep us up.

Tougher than rolling straight through this division with 93+ points? There's no doubt you go into it with 17th being a fantastic finish but it's far from an impossible task. I wouldn't be seeing our success being built around atmosphere and togetherness as a negative to be honest. You obviously have to add a bit of PL quality around that but that togetherness, never say die attitude is what you are going to need in spades if you want to stay up.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024