Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New fans and returners 08:30 - May 3 with 3281 viewsSevenT8

It is fantastic that our fan base is so energised by our recent successes.

Can we please also remember, with zero bitterness, that many supporters have turned their backs on the team over recent years.

Some of us have experienced every dreadful moment of the Keane, three Pauls and McCarthy eras. In wasn’t long ago I was in crowds of circa 12k.

I’m am not hating on anyone. We all have different life pressures and family situations.

All I am asking is that those singing ‘Ipswich till I die…’ tomorrow, actually mean it. We do need to acknowledge that for some it has been Ipswich till we stop winning…’.
[Post edited 3 May 8:31]

Poll: When will Gamechanger cancel their visit on Saturday? (GMT)

New fans and returners on 08:48 - May 3 with 1987 viewsMeadowlark

"fan base"

New fans and returners on 08:51 - May 3 with 1962 viewsBuhrer

What a lot of humble brag back prattle.
New fans and returners on 08:53 - May 3 with 1942 viewsDanTheMan

I'm just happy we've got some new supporters. We weren't in a position to gatekeep given our trajectory pre-gamechanger.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

New fans and returners on 08:59 - May 3 with 1910 viewsmuccletonjoe

I can't say I blame people for not wanting to sit through some of those games . Most were uninspiring at best.
I have been going since the 70s , so I have seen crowds/ fanbase increase and decrease over the years.
It's good to remember that most if not all of those people now back in the ground never stopped following the club and wanting them to do well , if not necessarily from inside the ground.
New fans and returners on 09:04 - May 3 with 1877 viewsBluefarrier

I first watched ITFC when I was 10. I followed them solidly from the early 70s onwards. I cried on the steps of Wembley in 78 (something that I hadn’t done at my wedding or children’s births). I travelled to see us win the EUFA Cup with 10,000 others. I stopped watching at Portman Rd. in the Keane era. I bought a season ticket three years ago. Yes, I’m a returner and my support is equa to anyone’s.
New fans and returners on 09:05 - May 3 with 1864 viewssmithy69

What a load of tosh
New fans and returners on 09:07 - May 3 with 1846 viewsBiGDonnie

This post is weird as hell.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

New fans and returners on 09:08 - May 3 with 1842 viewsHerbivore

Look at me, I'm a better fan than you! Tragic, mate.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

New fans and returners on 09:12 - May 3 with 1822 viewsSwansea_Blue

New fans and returners on 09:07 - May 3 by BiGDonnie

It’s true (that’s just a fact of football support the world over), but yes agreed, it’s a bit of an odd post and unnecessary. Not a time to be deliberately divisive.
[Post edited 3 May 9:14]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

New fans and returners on 09:18 - May 3 with 1767 viewsgainsboroughblue

I don't go anymore. Well, rarely anyway.

I was at every home game between 83-92, most away games between 88-92. Worked shifts, played football myself and went when I could between 92-95.

Picked up again between 95-00. Work and personal circumstances (certainly finances) interjected and was less prolific until 2004.

Home and away most weeks again between 2004-2016. Rare visits if I'm honest since then. Other things took over, now I'm out of the habit and happy to watch/listen and share in the stories.

Looking at that timeline, if anything I was less prolific just as we reached the promised land.

Watching the other night on TV, I did not sit down. Was pacing, swearing, crying, shouting, screaming.

You determine what a fan and Ipswich till I die means.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

New fans and returners on 09:26 - May 3 with 1709 viewsBlueschev

Don't you enjoy having a full stadium a lot more than sitting in a depressing half empty ground with only "die hards" in attendance? A full Portman Road is the greatest place in the world to be, why care about anything else?
New fans and returners on 09:26 - May 3 with 1706 viewssmithy69

The fact you go back to Keane etc with no mention of others like John Duncan for instance, means your probably in your 30s and watched less games than “returners” overall
New fans and returners on 09:30 - May 3 with 1636 viewsblueasfook

OK hard-core fan who I've never even seen on TWTD before.

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

New fans and returners on 09:30 - May 3 with 1656 viewsChurchman

New fans and returners on 09:04 - May 3 by Bluefarrier

I first watched ITFC when I was 10. I followed them solidly from the early 70s onwards. I cried on the steps of Wembley in 78 (something that I hadn’t done at my wedding or children’s births). I travelled to see us win the EUFA Cup with 10,000 others. I stopped watching at Portman Rd. in the Keane era. I bought a season ticket three years ago. Yes, I’m a returner and my support is equa to anyone’s.

Pretty similar really. My dad saw the 62 team, we both did the 75 run, 78 a lot of the 81 team, 92, 2000 etc.

We stopped attending games for reasons I’ve bored the forum with before during the Hurst Lambert season. We’d had season tickets for years, my dad all the way back to 1992/3 (all seater era - before that it was the terraces for us). I bought a season ticket again March last year. The opportunity to attend games was open to me again and quite frankly we were worth watching and I had missed live games.

That means I am, like you, a returner.

There’s no ‘grading’ in this. don’t think it matters whether you take a passing interest (in free booze and social in my grandfather’s case) taking in odd games, armchair, distant, unable to go for any number of reasons, non merchandise buyer, Town tv or not, whatever.

We are all ‘Ipswich ‘till I die’ supporters in various ways and that’s just how it should be and is.
New fans and returners on 09:30 - May 3 with 1659 viewsBlueBadger

Super fan ahoy!

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

New fans and returners on 09:32 - May 3 with 1627 viewsDavoIPB

For some the cost of ticket to match represents a significant amount of money out of people's wages. We also lead very short lives and watching Ipswich play under some of those managers was not worth the loss of that part of our lives. It is now though.
New fans and returners on 09:33 - May 3 with 1610 viewsGeoffSentence

New fans and returners on 09:07 - May 3 by BiGDonnie

It completely contradicts itself.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

New fans and returners on 09:37 - May 3 with 1566 viewspointofblue

New fans and returners on 09:33 - May 3 by GeoffSentence

It completely contradicts itself.

To really be divisive perhaps there should be a round of "Where were you when we were s**t"?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

New fans and returners on 09:38 - May 3 with 1553 viewsWeWereZombies

New fans and returners on 09:18 - May 3 by gainsboroughblue

I don't go anymore. Well, rarely anyway.

I was at every home game between 83-92, most away games between 88-92. Worked shifts, played football myself and went when I could between 92-95.

Picked up again between 95-00. Work and personal circumstances (certainly finances) interjected and was less prolific until 2004.

Home and away most weeks again between 2004-2016. Rare visits if I'm honest since then. Other things took over, now I'm out of the habit and happy to watch/listen and share in the stories.

Looking at that timeline, if anything I was less prolific just as we reached the promised land.

Watching the other night on TV, I did not sit down. Was pacing, swearing, crying, shouting, screaming.

You determine what a fan and Ipswich till I die means.

Very similar, went to a lot of games from 1968 to 1971, occasionally 1972 to 1975 as my freak life took over, almost every home game 1975 through to 1980 before my life got London based (so missed the 1980/81 UEFA Cup games but listened on the radio to the second leg of the final in someone else's bedsit whilst I waited for her to come home...) and then family life took over and I was away from Ipswich. But living south of Cambridge meant I did still manage a few matches a season.

That increased during the Burley years and I was close to every home game for 1999/2000 but applying for a season ticket for the first year back in the Premiership was unsuccessful and all I got was a roving ballot type thing. Did get a season ticket for 2001/02 but we all know how that went....

Divorce and an unsettled life for a few years reduced my attendances again - I never even went to a games when Keane was in charge. McCarthy was a good manager but, as has often been said, the football was not great to watch and my incentive to make the sacrifices to get to games lessened, although an interesting game at St. James' Park gave a bit of stimulus to try and make away games.

A move to Scotland pretty much put an end to things so I never went to a game when Lambert or Hurst were in charge (thank goodness, but a bit sad to have not attended during the Matt Gill era.) Finally got back to Portman Road for the Bristol Rovers whatever it was Cup game last summer and was impressed with how good the old place is looking. No optimism about getting tickets next season but will continue to watch every game I can on the telly.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

New fans and returners on 09:43 - May 3 with 1528 viewsCheltenham_Blue

I have to say, its nice to see a regular poster taking a stand.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Arfs on 09:46 - May 3 with 1480 viewsDyland

Don't be a twanny.

More fool those who sat through it all. I was one of them so feel I can write that

The football and off field stuff was sh1te a lot of the time but I still liked going to the footy, having a drink, seeing family and friends, the odd meal out afterwards/before, etc.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

The very definition of a glory boy on 09:52 - May 3 with 1418 viewsDyland

New fans and returners on 09:38 - May 3 by WeWereZombies

Very similar, went to a lot of games from 1968 to 1971, occasionally 1972 to 1975 as my freak life took over, almost every home game 1975 through to 1980 before my life got London based (so missed the 1980/81 UEFA Cup games but listened on the radio to the second leg of the final in someone else's bedsit whilst I waited for her to come home...) and then family life took over and I was away from Ipswich. But living south of Cambridge meant I did still manage a few matches a season.

That increased during the Burley years and I was close to every home game for 1999/2000 but applying for a season ticket for the first year back in the Premiership was unsuccessful and all I got was a roving ballot type thing. Did get a season ticket for 2001/02 but we all know how that went....

Divorce and an unsettled life for a few years reduced my attendances again - I never even went to a games when Keane was in charge. McCarthy was a good manager but, as has often been said, the football was not great to watch and my incentive to make the sacrifices to get to games lessened, although an interesting game at St. James' Park gave a bit of stimulus to try and make away games.

A move to Scotland pretty much put an end to things so I never went to a game when Lambert or Hurst were in charge (thank goodness, but a bit sad to have not attended during the Matt Gill era.) Finally got back to Portman Road for the Bristol Rovers whatever it was Cup game last summer and was impressed with how good the old place is looking. No optimism about getting tickets next season but will continue to watch every game I can on the telly.

x

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

New fans and returners on 09:59 - May 3 with 1375 viewsbaxterbasics

Totally ready to put my hands up and confess I am no superfan. As much as I want to be Ipswich 'til I die, I drifted off in the banter era.

Had season ticket in the first Royle season then again in the McCarthy playoff year. But thereafter only managed a game or two per season. By the second year in L1 I probably couldn't name more than three of the squad or even remember which Paul was in charge that week. Spent most of that period arguing on TWTD about politics rather than discussing footy.

Soz.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

New fans and returners on 10:05 - May 3 with 1323 viewsfooters

Should I create an Excel sheet so we can mark down who is a fan and who isn't according to you? Might make a handy reference guide.

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

New fans and returners on 10:10 - May 3 with 1297 viewsdirtyboy

Nobody turned their back.

Some just prioritised differently.

Think back to those latter Tuesday night games with Roy Keane which was akin to paying Waitrose prices to have my nut sack sandpapered and dipped in TCP.

I'll forgive anyone who decided not to go as regularly as it was awful.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024