Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wardley 07:15 - May 5 with 6614 viewsZx1988

Did I miss him having a spell at RB or something early on in the season?

Tiniest fly in the ointment of an absolutely perfect day was him and his mates poncing about on the pitch as if they'd played an integral part in the season's events.

I'm sure MA is just keeping him sweet to ensure that the club gets the juicy pay-day that would come from hosting a fight, but he definitely needs ITFC more than the club needs him right now.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Wardley on 20:17 - May 5 with 1753 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

F**k knows if it’s been mentioned but we sang ‘Fabio give us a song’ when we were on the pitch after the game ended and his choice was ‘Ohhh Fabio Wardley’ which I do feel summed it up

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Wardley on 05:15 - May 6 with 1590 viewsJackNorthStand

I think it’s brilliant we have British heavyweight champion a local lad who was enjoying the team he supports get promoted
Wardley on 06:35 - May 6 with 1552 viewsChurchman

Wardley on 08:18 - May 5 by Basuco

I have no problem with that at all, he is a high profile, highly successful sports star and this gets him preferential treatment to us "ordinary" fans. He is a passionate Town fan and like Ed promotes all that is good about Ipswich Town. Should he be on the pitch? It doesn't matter at all, he is generating interest in ITFC to the boxing fraternity and wider general public. Stars from all walks of life will get tickets and hospitality ahead of us, but in Fabio and Ed at least they are now and always have been big fans of Ipswich Town, not just taking an opportunity to self promote on the back of our promotion. Just my opinion, life is like that.

I agree with this. There is a limit and I was a bit surprised to see him on the front row of the Directors Box, but it doesn’t particularly bother me. It’s how the world is and anything that gives the club profile is no bad thing.

Wardley was in the Fanzone and at the back of the West Stand before the game and seemed pretty good with the selfies etc that people wanted.

I wonder if Mr Sheeran can drag along his chum Taylor Swift for a match? Now that would generate profile!
Wardley on 07:22 - May 6 with 1509 viewsMatt_Netherlands

Wardley on 17:46 - May 5 by WD19

I ended up watching the match in the same pub as his mum.

I know this because she walked to the front of a very long queue of people waiting patiently to get in saying “do you know whose mum I am”…..

Was she with Mrs Maitland Niles?
Wardley on 07:34 - May 6 with 1479 viewsslade1

I sit just below the directors box and he was there giving it big, acting like the 29,000 spectators were their all for him.
I cant stand the bloke to be honest
Wardley on 07:56 - May 6 with 1429 viewsBuhrer

Wardley on 07:34 - May 6 by slade1

I sit just below the directors box and he was there giving it big, acting like the 29,000 spectators were their all for him.
I cant stand the bloke to be honest

Giving it big like he'd spent 12 rounds getting battered in the face on sky TV, while wearing the badge, then been invited into the directors box and enjoying the biggest game in two decades? I might appear to give it big if id done that. I don't know the bloke so my opinions are as invalid as yours, but i saw him on the pitch and heard him on the radio, and saw no issues, and we are Premier League. Maybe not front row of photos though eh, you're not someone's kid Wardley.
Wardley on 09:43 - May 6 with 1311 viewsblueislander

Wardley on 07:56 - May 6 by Buhrer

Giving it big like he'd spent 12 rounds getting battered in the face on sky TV, while wearing the badge, then been invited into the directors box and enjoying the biggest game in two decades? I might appear to give it big if id done that. I don't know the bloke so my opinions are as invalid as yours, but i saw him on the pitch and heard him on the radio, and saw no issues, and we are Premier League. Maybe not front row of photos though eh, you're not someone's kid Wardley.

Does Wardley actually put money into the club or does he do ambassadorial stuff?
Wardley on 11:17 - May 6 with 1193 viewstractorshark

Wardley on 09:43 - May 6 by blueislander

Does Wardley actually put money into the club or does he do ambassadorial stuff?

I would say he’s getting far more out of it than the club.

Boxers require self publicity and Wardley isn’t passing up on the opportunity.

Personally, as a fan, I think it’s cringey and comes over as false and forced.

And having watched his last fight, I would say his ceiling is nowhere near as high as Ipswich’s.

Maybe it’s a master plan from Ashton to stage a fight here but I’m not convinced. Just strikes me as a case of Wardley jumping on a bandwagon.

If he’s a true fan, I look forward to seeing him at Portman Road when we inevitably play in the Championship again at some point down the line.
Login to get fewer ads

Wardley on 11:30 - May 6 with 1173 viewsExiled2Surrey

Wardley on 11:17 - May 6 by tractorshark

I would say he’s getting far more out of it than the club.

Boxers require self publicity and Wardley isn’t passing up on the opportunity.

Personally, as a fan, I think it’s cringey and comes over as false and forced.

And having watched his last fight, I would say his ceiling is nowhere near as high as Ipswich’s.

Maybe it’s a master plan from Ashton to stage a fight here but I’m not convinced. Just strikes me as a case of Wardley jumping on a bandwagon.

If he’s a true fan, I look forward to seeing him at Portman Road when we inevitably play in the Championship again at some point down the line.

I think that is the point - his job is self publicity - it is what his sport is all about. The promotional antics these fellas get up to to generate interest are crucial to them to enable them to sell tickets, which helps them train to the levels they get to.

I wouldn't be too judgemental about it. No way would I have the self confidence to stand in a ring and have some other bloke try and knock me unconscious while trying to do the same to him, but the sort of person who does is rarely good at blending into the background in any circumstances.

TBH, it's not for me, but it is what it is
Wardley on 13:38 - May 6 with 1094 viewsHipsterectomy

No problem with him at all. I’ve seen a few tiktokers who got tickets to the game who have nothing really to do with the club but are just mates with players. One guy seemingly just sorts them out with stuff like watches, cars etc and was involved in all the celebrations. He even referred to the squad as his clients

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Wardley on 16:32 - May 6 with 1008 viewsE_I_E_I_E_I_O

If Ed was about I assume he'd have been riding the top deck as well.
Wardley on 16:34 - May 6 with 996 viewsTheBoyBlue

Can see your issue, but he's been a big part of the feelgood factor and raising Town's profile, as well as Ed Sheeran and I'm that Ed had been up there on the bus no one would've had any issues with that.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

Wardley on 16:47 - May 6 with 954 viewsitfcjoe

Someone needed to reign him in on the bus today, especially when Milts is trying to interview Harry Clarke and he’s prattling on like a school kid ruining it

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Wardley on 16:49 - May 6 with 934 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Wardley on 16:47 - May 6 by itfcjoe

Someone needed to reign him in on the bus today, especially when Milts is trying to interview Harry Clarke and he’s prattling on like a school kid ruining it

Who's gonna tell him though?

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Wardley on 16:52 - May 6 with 920 viewsslade1

Wardley on 16:47 - May 6 by itfcjoe

He is just a big pain in the backside to be honest.
All he is doing is embarrassing himself.
Wardley on 17:49 - May 6 with 805 viewstractorshark

Wardley on 16:34 - May 6 by TheBoyBlue

Can see your issue, but he's been a big part of the feelgood factor and raising Town's profile, as well as Ed Sheeran and I'm that Ed had been up there on the bus no one would've had any issues with that.

To be fair, that's because Ed Sheeran is a global mega star whereas Fabio Wardley is barely a household name in boxing.
One is massively benefiting us right now, the other is probably benefiting from us right now.
Ed Sheeran was also prominent when we were cr*p in League One, that's why it sits more comfortably with fans.
Wardley won't care, it's good publicity for him and, to be fair, there's an undercurrent that stretches back to the Norwich ticket saga.
That's not necessarily his fault but if you act as he has over the weekend, you can't moan if a few fans question why he is so prominent in the celebrations.
Wardley on 18:08 - May 6 with 727 viewsLankHenners

Wardley on 17:49 - May 6 by tractorshark

To be fair, that's because Ed Sheeran is a global mega star whereas Fabio Wardley is barely a household name in boxing.
One is massively benefiting us right now, the other is probably benefiting from us right now.
Ed Sheeran was also prominent when we were cr*p in League One, that's why it sits more comfortably with fans.
Wardley won't care, it's good publicity for him and, to be fair, there's an undercurrent that stretches back to the Norwich ticket saga.
That's not necessarily his fault but if you act as he has over the weekend, you can't moan if a few fans question why he is so prominent in the celebrations.

Yeah think people are (massively) overplaying the 'he raises the club's profile' angle - ITFC as an institution is far far bigger than he is and he'll be getting much much more out of us than we are from him. Pretty daft IMO for anyone to suggest there's a even hint of it being the other way round or on a similar level.

Fair enough if he's pally with some of the players and they invite him to stuff but you'd like to think he'd have some humility (not joining in with the squad photo with the trophy, not jumping on the mic like he's part of the actual squad today etc.) - I want to enjoy the occasion for the players and staff, not some boxer most people hadn't heard of until he started turning up when things started looking up for the club.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Wardley on 18:13 - May 6 with 711 viewsITFCBlues

Wardley on 18:08 - May 6 by LankHenners

Yeah think people are (massively) overplaying the 'he raises the club's profile' angle - ITFC as an institution is far far bigger than he is and he'll be getting much much more out of us than we are from him. Pretty daft IMO for anyone to suggest there's a even hint of it being the other way round or on a similar level.

Fair enough if he's pally with some of the players and they invite him to stuff but you'd like to think he'd have some humility (not joining in with the squad photo with the trophy, not jumping on the mic like he's part of the actual squad today etc.) - I want to enjoy the occasion for the players and staff, not some boxer most people hadn't heard of until he started turning up when things started looking up for the club.

It's not rocket science is it. The club helps to raise his profile which in turn lands him a fight at PR and more money for the club.

Well done MA, this guy knows what he's doing

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Looks like I'll have to sort him out on 18:15 - May 6 with 694 viewsblueasfook

I'll slap him down a few pegs. Where does he drink?

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Wardley on 18:21 - May 6 with 659 viewsLankHenners

Wardley on 18:13 - May 6 by ITFCBlues

It's not rocket science is it. The club helps to raise his profile which in turn lands him a fight at PR and more money for the club.

Well done MA, this guy knows what he's doing

Well yes but I don't really see why him acting like he's a member of the squad is part of that.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Wardley on 19:08 - May 6 with 586 viewsJimmy86

Wardley on 18:21 - May 6 by LankHenners

Well yes but I don't really see why him acting like he's a member of the squad is part of that.

He really has milked this weekend for all it's worth... Think he needs the club, more than the club needs him.. he's always been the one keen to get a fight on at PR, Ashton has never seemingly been as keen on the idea as Fabio has been, that's certainly the impression I get...
Wardley on 19:36 - May 6 with 546 viewsTractorWood

Wardley on 19:08 - May 6 by Jimmy86

He really has milked this weekend for all it's worth... Think he needs the club, more than the club needs him.. he's always been the one keen to get a fight on at PR, Ashton has never seemingly been as keen on the idea as Fabio has been, that's certainly the impression I get...

The club don't need him at all.

I know a few lads like boxing but it's not a mainstream sport. It's like horseracing, ski jumping or chess to me.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Wardley on 19:39 - May 6 with 523 viewsDublinBlue84

Wardley on 19:36 - May 6 by TractorWood

The club don't need him at all.

I know a few lads like boxing but it's not a mainstream sport. It's like horseracing, ski jumping or chess to me.

Ashton just called him a big supporter and friend in his speech.

Poll: What result on Tuesday is best for the club?

Wardley on 19:42 - May 6 with 497 viewsMK1

Wardley on 19:08 - May 6 by Jimmy86

It's our last ever promotion. Why can't people just enjoy it.
Wardley on 19:50 - May 6 with 469 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Wardley on 16:49 - May 6 by Cheltenham_Blue

Who's gonna tell him though?

Harry Clarke said he would!

But probably not wise for Town for that to happen!

Can imagine the tabloid headlines after that too!

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024