Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We haven’t had a post 15:36 - May 6 with 2853 viewsDeepBlueSea

about the Stockport 8000 for a while. Who was at that match and also at the Huddersfield match on Sat. There must be a few of you who were.

Bonus points if you also went to the Anglo Italian cup game against Salernitana..?
We haven’t had a post on 15:45 - May 6 with 2213 viewsWacko

Didn’t go to any of them but I did go to Avenir Beggen away - probably my most random match ever!

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

We haven’t had a post on 15:57 - May 6 with 2147 viewsDeepBlueSea

We haven’t had a post on 15:45 - May 6 by Wacko

Didn’t go to any of them but I did go to Avenir Beggen away - probably my most random match ever!

That’s a great one, I don’t even know where that is!

Best I’ve done is an away friendly at Brighton’s beautiful but completely ramshackle ground about 15 or so years ago..
We haven’t had a post on 16:02 - May 6 with 2118 viewsBlue_Heath

Did both of those plus Grantham Town for an away friendly with Notts County!
We haven’t had a post on 16:11 - May 6 with 2068 viewsAsa

There for both.

The most random memory of that Stockport game is that I was in the central part of the Pioneer Lower or whatever it was called that night and don’t think I’d ever sat there before or since. No idea how I ended up there.
We haven’t had a post on 16:11 - May 6 with 2067 viewsWacko

Luxembourg- preliminary round for the UEFA Cup after we got relegated - terrible game too

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

We haven’t had a post on 16:16 - May 6 with 2024 viewsMeadowlark

I went to Jim Magilton' s pre-season tour of Belfast.
We haven’t had a post on 16:20 - May 6 with 2008 viewsChurchman

I was at the 1997 0-2 Stockport game and Saturday’s. The crowd was 8,828 according to 11v11. It wasn’t good.

However, there were a few games in the Duncan era that were even worse in many ways, not least because with GB you could see what he was trying to do with the team even if they were cr@p..

The early games of the 1991/2 promotion season were poorly attended too. Bar Southend at home, gates didn’t go above 10k until November.

No bonus point - I didn’t see any of the Anglo Italian games.

It always amuses me to see the likes of Norwich mocking our crowds during the Evans darkness. Given what was on offer a lot of the time, I think they held up really well. The potential is being fulfilled now - it doesn't really change that in my view.
We haven’t had a post on 16:28 - May 6 with 1963 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Did Stockport and Avenir but couldn't get a ticket for Huddersfield!

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Login to get fewer ads

We haven’t had a post on 16:30 - May 6 with 1955 viewsRadlett_blue

We haven’t had a post on 16:20 - May 6 by Churchman

I was at the 1997 0-2 Stockport game and Saturday’s. The crowd was 8,828 according to 11v11. It wasn’t good.

However, there were a few games in the Duncan era that were even worse in many ways, not least because with GB you could see what he was trying to do with the team even if they were cr@p..

The early games of the 1991/2 promotion season were poorly attended too. Bar Southend at home, gates didn’t go above 10k until November.

It always amuses me to see the likes of Norwich mocking our crowds during the Evans darkness. Given what was on offer a lot of the time, I think they held up really well. The potential is being fulfilled now - it doesn't really change that in my view.

GB had a plan, but he didn't always have the personnel. Duncan recruited some decent players, but if he ever had a plan, I couldn't work out what it was.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

We haven’t had a post on 16:31 - May 6 with 1951 viewsblueislander

We haven’t had a post on 16:16 - May 6 by Meadowlark

I went to Jim Magilton' s pre-season tour of Belfast.

My most exotic was at the Nou Camp for the Gamper tournament. We played Cologne at 6 pm , and Barca played Vasco de Gama after that.
[Post edited 6 May 16:33]
We haven’t had a post on 16:33 - May 6 with 1940 viewsDeepBlueSea

We haven’t had a post on 16:20 - May 6 by Churchman

I think Norwich fans are looking for any angle they can get at the moment, to be fair. They can’t criticise our current crowds so the only option is to criticise historic attendances. Slim pickings if you ask me.

However I do think it’s something that we should be aware of when deciding how much money to put aside for stadium investment. I’m sure that right now we’d fill a 40k stadium every week in the Prem, but there’s no guarantee it will always be like that.
We haven’t had a post on 16:36 - May 6 with 1904 viewsRadlett_blue

We haven’t had a post on 16:33 - May 6 by DeepBlueSea

I think Norwich fans are looking for any angle they can get at the moment, to be fair. They can’t criticise our current crowds so the only option is to criticise historic attendances. Slim pickings if you ask me.

However I do think it’s something that we should be aware of when deciding how much money to put aside for stadium investment. I’m sure that right now we’d fill a 40k stadium every week in the Prem, but there’s no guarantee it will always be like that.

Norwich fans can say whatever they like, but I don't care.
The last thing we should be doing right now is investing in a larger stadium as the money you get back is a pittance compared with the TV money for staying in the PL.

We haven’t had a post on 16:42 - May 6 with 1866 viewsTrumptonBlue

We haven’t had a post on 16:36 - May 6 by Radlett_blue

The last thing we should be doing right now is investing in a larger stadium as the money you get back is a pittance compared with the TV money for staying in the PL.

I see the Swindon 7,000 are being overlooked once again.

Edit: Sorry, didn't mean to reply to you specifically, Radlett.
[Post edited 6 May 16:43]
We haven’t had a post on 16:54 - May 6 with 1803 viewsMeadowlark

Is it all about money??
We haven’t had a post on 17:06 - May 6 with 1744 viewsRadlett_blue

We haven’t had a post on 16:54 - May 6 by Meadowlark

Is it all about money??

Increasing the size of the stadium involves a huge financial commitment, which has to be funded somehow. Last time we did this by securitising future season ticket income, which ended well, didn't it (no , Town were relegated & went into admin).
So why would our owners want to spend a large sum on something that is likely to achieve a low financial return, unless you think the vanity of having a bigger stadium is worth the price? At some stage, attendances will fall off & a half empty stadium won't look or fell great. Such a project is also hugely disruptive and, again, it was arguably a factor in our relegation in 2001-02.

We haven’t had a post on 17:18 - May 6 with 1683 viewsEastTownBlue

I was part of the Stockport 8,000. We had a bit of an injury crisis at the time but a number had doubts about Burley, particulary when we had David Whyte playing up front. This match followed a 3-0 defeat at Charlton which was well attended by Town fans,

The Evening Star had regular updates in our striker search at that time. They reported that we were interested in signing some experienced chap called Don Goodman but fortunately we were only a couple of weeks away from signing the up and coming David Johnson which turned around our season.
We haven’t had a post on 17:25 - May 6 with 1634 viewsSharkey

More recently, I think of the fans who went to Barrow for the cup during MCGreal’s interim management, especially anyone who traveled all the way from Suffolk. They have a special place in blue heaven now.
We haven’t had a post on 17:30 - May 6 with 1596 viewsRadlett_blue

We haven’t had a post on 17:18 - May 6 by EastTownBlue

I was part of the Stockport 8,000. We had a bit of an injury crisis at the time but a number had doubts about Burley, particulary when we had David Whyte playing up front. This match followed a 3-0 defeat at Charlton which was well attended by Town fans,

The Evening Star had regular updates in our striker search at that time. They reported that we were interested in signing some experienced chap called Don Goodman but fortunately we were only a couple of weeks away from signing the up and coming David Johnson which turned around our season.

Yes. the first half of that debacle at Charlton was easily the worst 45 minutes I had seen from a Town team (but maybe surpassed by a few games in League 1 & the 7-1 shellacking at Posh). David Kerslake was all at sea at full back (I don't think he started ever again), David Whyte was anonymous (the Stockport game was the second of his 2 town games) & Dozzell was hopelessly off the pace ( he only played 2 more games). Fortunately, David Johnson II arrived shortly & we turned the season around.

We haven’t had a post on 17:41 - May 6 with 1555 viewsChurchman

How true. I’m just enjoying Championship Norwich’s discomfort after the years of smug assumption on their part that we’d never compete with them again. Can’t wait for the Leeds game. Feet up, beers in disappointment ahoy for somebody.

A good friend of mine is from Leeds and his mum passed away yesterday, so I’ll cheer them on for him, not that I could ever cheer on our friends up the road..
We haven’t had a post on 17:56 - May 6 with 1521 viewsHciwspi

I was at that Stockport match and Huddersfield.

Also remember going to the Goldstone when David Hill had to go in goal, and Dean Court to watch Luther Blisset score a hat trick against us. Grim.
We haven’t had a post on 19:13 - May 6 with 1385 viewsChurchman

We haven’t had a post on 17:56 - May 6 by Hciwspi

I was at that Stockport match and Huddersfield.

Also remember going to the Goldstone when David Hill had to go in goal, and Dean Court to watch Luther Blisset score a hat trick against us. Grim.

I did the Goldstone twice in the late 70s early 80s and we were b awful both games and lost. The ground was all broken bricks, wire and decay.

Never went to Dean Court.
We haven’t had a post on 19:33 - May 6 with 1345 viewsBluespeed225

I was. And don't forget the Port Vale new years day 96' game. Lowest ever NYD attendance!
We haven’t had a post on 19:35 - May 6 with 1332 viewsNthsuffolkblue

We haven’t had a post on 16:33 - May 6 by DeepBlueSea

Perhaps I am being daft but how do historic attendances favour them? Unless comparing their Premier League attendances with our mid-table League 1 ones do or something!

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

We haven’t had a post on 20:06 - May 6 with 1287 viewsSomethingBlue

Was at all three ... the difference between then and now ... !

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

We haven’t had a post on 22:36 - May 6 with 1123 viewsRadlett_blue

We haven’t had a post on 19:33 - May 6 by Bluespeed225

I was. And don't forget the Port Vale new years day 96' game. Lowest ever NYD attendance!

I was at that game & the first 30 minutes were pretty dreadful. However, we picked up the pace in the last 15 minutes & as the players came off, I felt we would go on & win the game. Then, a load of boos rang out! I thought "fair enough if it had been 45 minutes of dross, but we got our act together near the end". Simon Milton put us ahead after 58 minutes, the floodgates opened & we won 5-1. Official attendance was 9,926.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024