Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Snooker thread. The Crucible 20:59 - May 6 with 1294 viewsblueasfook

Watching the snooker final this evening. There was talk of the future of the crucible during the interval. Might be one of the last championships to be held there. The old venue does look pretty run down.

Also, these 2 finalists are sh1te. Never heard of either of them

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Neither of them can even spell their own names. (n/t) on 21:02 - May 6 with 1253 viewsBloots

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

Neither of them can even spell their own names. (n/t) on 21:07 - May 6 with 1213 viewsblueasfook

Neither of them can even spell their own names. (n/t) on 21:02 - May 6 by Bloots

What happened to Jimmy White? When did he get knocked out?

Snooker thread. The Crucible on 21:08 - May 6 with 1207 views_clive_baker_

Quite like snooker but struggled to get into it at all this year. Few too many players who don’t seem to have much personality.
Snooker thread. The Crucible on 21:09 - May 6 with 1187 viewsChurchman

The venue is small and need of redevelopment. Basically the snooker money men are saying we can take the World Championships anywhere in the world (China probably). It’s up to Sheffield to redevelop the Crucible.

I get that but why in these straightened times, with a government that’s removed rate support grant, should Sheffield tax payers pay for a new venue for a minority sport that plays there once a year? Central funding? Same question. And my view is one of somebody who has played a lot of snooker and gets the appeal of the game.

Barry Hearn says it’s all about the money. Fine. He’s not wrong. Good luck in Beijing.
Lost to Ray Reardon. (n/t) on 21:11 - May 6 with 1154 viewsBloots

Neither of them can even spell their own names. (n/t) on 21:07 - May 6 by blueasfook

Snooker thread. The Crucible on 21:14 - May 6 with 1144 viewsblueasfook

Snooker thread. The Crucible on 21:09 - May 6 by Churchman

The venue is small and need of redevelopment. Basically the snooker money men are saying we can take the World Championships anywhere in the world (China probably). It’s up to Sheffield to redevelop the Crucible.

I get that but why in these straightened times, with a government that’s removed rate support grant, should Sheffield tax payers pay for a new venue for a minority sport that plays there once a year? Central funding? Same question. And my view is one of somebody who has played a lot of snooker and gets the appeal of the game.

Barry Hearn says it’s all about the money. Fine. He’s not wrong. Good luck in Beijing.

There's plenty of venues in the UK where it could be held. Probably one of the big arenas. It doesn't have to go abroad. But then, that's maybe where the future of the game lies. I think the game has long had its heyday as a top sport in the UK.

Lost to Ray Reardon. (n/t) on 21:15 - May 6 with 1135 viewsblueasfook

Lost to Ray Reardon. (n/t) on 21:11 - May 6 by Bloots

That young Terry Griffiths looks like one to watch for the future

Neither of them can even spell their own names. (n/t) on 21:18 - May 6 with 1106 viewsMK1

Neither of them can even spell their own names. (n/t) on 21:07 - May 6 by blueasfook

He asked Wardley what the hell he was doing on the team bus today.
Login to get fewer ads

Snooker thread. The Crucible on 21:32 - May 6 with 1058 viewsKeno

Lots have places have bod to host it in future, in fact there quite a long cue

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Snooker thread. The Crucible on 21:34 - May 6 with 1033 viewsblueasfook

Snooker thread. The Crucible on 21:32 - May 6 by Keno

Lots have places have bod to host it in future, in fact there quite a long cue

You sure? Sounds like a load of balls to me Keno. Give it a rest

Lost to Ray Reardon. (n/t) on 21:41 - May 6 with 995 viewsNthQldITFC

Lost to Ray Reardon. (n/t) on 21:15 - May 6 by blueasfook

That young Terry Griffiths looks like one to watch for the future

Not so young any more. Like Ted Davis, I doubt he can still get his leg over.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Is Ted Davis related to.... on 21:57 - May 6 with 951 viewsBloots

Lost to Ray Reardon. (n/t) on 21:41 - May 6 by NthQldITFC

Not so young any more. Like Ted Davis, I doubt he can still get his leg over.

...Steve Davis?

Or perhaps Fred Davis?

Or even Joe Davis?

I think Ted is the only Davis not to play snooker.

Apart from Leif.

And Bette.

Is Ted Davis related to.... on 22:18 - May 6 with 905 viewsNthQldITFC

Is Ted Davis related to.... on 21:57 - May 6 by Bloots

...Steve Davis?

Or perhaps Fred Davis?

Or even Joe Davis?

Apart from Leif.

And Bette.

Oh, do I mean Ted Lowe? Or David Lowe? Or David Davis?

Bette Davis was no good at snooker, because Kim Carnes had her eyes.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Bette Davis was David Davis' Dad, true story. (n/t) on 22:26 - May 6 with 874 viewsBloots

Is Ted Davis related to.... on 22:18 - May 6 by NthQldITFC

Oh, do I mean Ted Lowe? Or David Lowe? Or David Davis?

Bette Davis was no good at snooker, because Kim Carnes had her eyes.

Is Ted Davis related to.... on 22:45 - May 6 with 820 viewsChurchman

Is Ted Davis related to.... on 21:57 - May 6 by Bloots

...Steve Davis?

Or perhaps Fred Davis?

Or even Joe Davis?

Apart from Leif.

And Bette.

And Sammy Jnr of course
Snooker thread. The Crucible on 22:45 - May 6 with 820 viewsPlums

Snooker thread. The Crucible on 21:34 - May 6 by blueasfook

You sure? Sounds like a load of balls to me Keno. Give it a rest

You're spot on

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Snooker thread. The Crucible on 00:13 - May 7 with 722 viewsstonojnr

but its small nature is all about what makes it special, the crowd literally are within touching distance of the players, which creates pressure on them they dont get anywhere else.

you take it to Ally pally, and it will turn into some version of pdc darts where the crowd are more interested in the drinking than the game, you take it anywhere in the world, it loses its specialness.

Hearn is just pushing the Crucible to pay more money to him by keep threatening to take it away from them, whilst they possibly have in the past simply assumed no-one else could host it and sat on their laurels

fwiw Sheffield as a city makes a fair bit of cash out of those two weeks every year, and so arent against redevelopment, or spending tax payer cash to do it.

but what are you going to do, demolish the whole place and start again, no its not worth that much to them, so theyll never be able to expand it into a double capacity theater, all they can do is improve small bits of it.
Snooker thread. The Crucible on 11:03 - May 7 with 486 viewsbrazil1982

I think the contract for the world finals ends next year. Rumours of Saudi hosting then. Money money money.
Snooker thread. The Crucible on 11:12 - May 7 with 474 viewsGogs

Snooker thread. The Crucible on 00:13 - May 7 by stonojnr

but its small nature is all about what makes it special, the crowd literally are within touching distance of the players, which creates pressure on them they dont get anywhere else.

you take it to Ally pally, and it will turn into some version of pdc darts where the crowd are more interested in the drinking than the game, you take it anywhere in the world, it loses its specialness.

Hearn is just pushing the Crucible to pay more money to him by keep threatening to take it away from them, whilst they possibly have in the past simply assumed no-one else could host it and sat on their laurels

fwiw Sheffield as a city makes a fair bit of cash out of those two weeks every year, and so arent against redevelopment, or spending tax payer cash to do it.

but what are you going to do, demolish the whole place and start again, no its not worth that much to them, so theyll never be able to expand it into a double capacity theater, all they can do is improve small bits of it.

They already have the masters snooker at ally pally. Holds twice the capacity of the crucible. Still feels intimate enough. Sheffield Arena seems the sensible option to me, but I’ve never set foot in it so I don’t know the suitability of the layout.
Snooker thread. The Crucible on 11:19 - May 7 with 454 viewsmellowblue

Think the Saudis want it. They are putting shed loads into snooker including an academy for homegrown players employing Ronnie Sullivan as coach.
Is Ted Davis related to.... on 11:34 - May 7 with 435 viewsRadlett_blue

Is Ted Davis related to.... on 22:45 - May 6 by Churchman

And Sammy Jnr of course

I think you're all "snooker loopy".

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Snooker thread. The Crucible on 11:48 - May 7 with 414 viewssoupytwist

Snooker thread. The Crucible on 00:13 - May 7 by stonojnr

Also, it's an actual theatre for the other 50 weeks of the year with plays and that, so pandering to the demands of snooker may not be appropriate.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024