Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So… 09:11 - May 7 with 5704 viewschicoazul

…. Is it going to be a large scale restructuring of the squad and team, 8 or so brand new first 11 players? Or will it be a bit more pared back with just a few key additions? Much has been made of how many of our players played in league one before conquering the championship, will we see the same approach?
Seem to think Burnley have done the former and Luton the latter this year and neither look like succeeding. What’s it gonna be boyos?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

So… on 09:13 - May 7 with 3480 viewswkj

Given we went toe to toe with burnley when we were in L1 - I suspect a core of around 6 players will still be starting games as they did last year. I don't think we're going to see a complete overhaul at all

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

There won't be a Forest style spree on 09:18 - May 7 with 3388 viewsDyland

We will keep the core of this group together, and hypotethically if we keep Omari and Jeremy, with say three or four quality additions we have a chance.

The stars have truly aligned for Town the last three years and if we can keep McKenna I really think we will surprise a few people next season. This bloke, whenever I have heard him talk, blows my mind. He is a very, very special manager.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

So… on 09:18 - May 7 with 3375 views_clive_baker_

I think we would be foolish to tear up what's been built here. Our USP right now has been the togetherness and team spirit, it's probably been the factor that's seen us defy the odds against the sides with deeper pockets but shallower hearts.

That said we'll need to upgrade in certain positions, I think we'll get the balance right though. Hirst, Chaplin, Burns, Broadhead, Morsy, Davis etc will all play plenty of football next season I imagine. It's probably the likes of Harness, Jackson, Donacien that'll make way, in the spirit of upgrading the weakest component. It wasn't long ago Donacien was one of the better performers at right back, now he's probably deemed surplus. The next wave will no doubt see players like Luongo move closer to that category as we step on again. I think the remit with new signings is going to be to find players that make Hirst, Chaplin, Burns, Burgess, Morsy etc droppable. And the ask of them will be to continue to make yourself undroppable.
So… on 09:19 - May 7 with 3348 viewsFrimleyBlue

Players who i think we will be first on teamsheet

Tuenzebe
Edmundson
Morsy
Hutchinson
Davis
Hirst

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

So… on 09:19 - May 7 with 3353 viewsThisIsMyUsername

5 or 6, younger, top Championship level standard signings, who will either be able to step up a level with KMc's coaching, or help us to be next season's 'Leicester' should we go back down.

Plus a couple of older players with Prem experience.

Sarmiento and Hutchinson on loan.
[Post edited 7 May 9:21]

@veterans_project on Instagram. Please follow the page.
Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

So… on 09:20 - May 7 with 3346 viewsAsa

I hated the fact that Greg Leigh, Richard Keogh (more for his off-field influence), Kyle Edwards (one of the most likeable players we've ever had) were casualties of a promotion but that's football.

The fact that we will now inevitably part with some back to back promotion legends will make it very, very tough to say goodbye. But I completely trust those at the top to replace suitably with the next batch of likeable players that have the talent, attitude and buy in to the club as a whole.

Every time I think Chaplin, Broadhead, Clarke etc won't cut it in the division above, I think back to how I thought the same about players like Burgess, Hladky, even Luongo at the top of the Championship. You only have to look at Forest and Luton, Bournemouth and Brentford to see far less heralded Championship players that stepped up and look the part.

I could see 5/6 new signings all intended to be first team regulars at RB, CB, CM, LF, 10 and ST with maybe Hladky, Davis, Morsy, Burns and maybe Hutchison seen as those who will likely be expected to play big roles, with everywhere else up for the existing players to try and force their way into the XI.

The likes of Harness, Ball will likely be off and the likes of Edmundson and Jackson might be the sorts that don't make the bench but are ready to step in at any point.

Could see us signing 3 players for £5m - £10m, 3 for £10m - £15m and then a couple of top loans. So the 8 or so now like Aluko, Ball, Humphreys etc would likely move on (retire in Sone's case), leave on a free in Ball's case, go out on loan in Humphreys case and we'd look to keep 2/3 of the squad these same players but bring in quality for the first team with a mix of sellable assets and a few old heads and proven Premier League performers.
There won't be a Forest style spree on 09:22 - May 7 with 3303 views_clive_baker_

There won't be a Forest style spree on 09:18 - May 7 by Dyland

We will keep the core of this group together, and hypotethically if we keep Omari and Jeremy, with say three or four quality additions we have a chance.

The stars have truly aligned for Town the last three years and if we can keep McKenna I really think we will surprise a few people next season. This bloke, whenever I have heard him talk, blows my mind. He is a very, very special manager.

He really is, but he can only p1ss with the c0ck he's got, so will need backing. The jump to the premier league is scary, there's a reason all 3 promoted teams last season are likely coming straight back, and none look likely to even reach 30 points.

Give McKenna what he wants, because as we know, he knows exactly what we need.
So… on 09:29 - May 7 with 3167 viewsportmanking

Hladky/New Keeper
Tuanzebe
New CB
Woolfie
Davis
Morsy
New CM
New RM/Burns
New AM
New LM
Hirst/New Striker

P.S. Luton signed 13 players last summer and still managed to retain the core/culture of their squad. Anyone that thinks we'll see less than a dozen new faces is barmy. Not all big-money purchases obviously, but there'll be a shake-up of sorts.
Login to get fewer ads

So… on 09:42 - May 7 with 3003 viewsElderGrizzly

So… on 09:19 - May 7 by ThisIsMyUsername

5 or 6, younger, top Championship level standard signings, who will either be able to step up a level with KMc's coaching, or help us to be next season's 'Leicester' should we go back down.

Agree with this.

5 or 6, but a couple will be squad rather than immediate first team prospects.

Priority would be getting Hutchinson back (on loan I assume), Sarmiento is already confirmed I believe as part of his deal this season.

Don't think we need Moore to return, or Williams obviously.
So… on 09:45 - May 7 with 2956 viewsmuhrensleftfoot

No wholesale changes please. Evolution not Revolution. Need backup for both full back positions - remember Axel is really a centre back and if he stays fit, will provide good options there in addition to the current CB's. Midfield backup for Morsy and Luongo as both now in their 30's. Another forward (or two) to add to Hirst and Al Hamedi. Hopeful we can keep Hutchinson and Sarmiento - preferably sign them permanently rather than loan
So… on 09:46 - May 7 with 2949 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

I'd like us to go down a route of targeting the young English talents, developing them and selling them on to the big boys. There's a really good crop in the U20's/U21's.

I remember watching the England U21s when they won the euros last year. There are some good names that I genuinely believe we could target. Some playing abroad too.

Angel Gomes, Taylor Harwood-Bellis, Callum Doyle, James McAtee, Liam Delap, Jaden Philogene etc.

EDIT: I think there's also a couple of players like Flynn Downes and Ben Sheaf I'd like us to look at. I'm praying Omari returns too but for me, he gets into Chelsea's matchday squad.
[Post edited 7 May 9:48]

Poll: If selling Jackson meant getting in a wide man, would you be happy with Garbutt?

So… on 09:49 - May 7 with 2891 viewsGlasgowBlue

I think much the same as last season. Two or three quality additions and see where we are come January.

We definitely need a third striker. Been caught short two season running ion that front. A very experienced centre half with leadership qualities is a must. Plus somebody like Flynn Downes as Morsy and Mas won't be able to play week in week out. If we can secure Omari ans Sarmiento with those suggested additions I think we can be very comfortable next season.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

So… on 09:50 - May 7 with 2868 viewsportmanking

So… on 09:49 - May 7 by GlasgowBlue

I think much the same as last season. Two or three quality additions and see where we are come January.

We definitely need a third striker. Been caught short two season running ion that front. A very experienced centre half with leadership qualities is a must. Plus somebody like Flynn Downes as Morsy and Mas won't be able to play week in week out. If we can secure Omari ans Sarmiento with those suggested additions I think we can be very comfortable next season.

Two or three signings?!

Hahahahaha. You can't be serious?
There won't be a Forest style spree on 09:53 - May 7 with 2830 viewsnrb1985

There won't be a Forest style spree on 09:18 - May 7 by Dyland

Really really difficult to see how Omari comes back here sadly.

He has a year left on his deal and Chelsea need to raise finances to avoid selling Gallagher. The youth players (or ones like Omari with a low book value) will be the ones sold to raise the money, given how FFP works. I suspect he'll end up on a permanent move to Dortmund or similar for £15-£20m sadly.

But there are other Omari's out there and clubs now know they can trust their youth with KM, so hopefully somebody just as exciting will come in.
So… on 09:57 - May 7 with 2792 viewstractorboy1978

Agree with this. A couple of experienced Premier League heads are going to be important. We all love super Sam but have to remember this is a step up for him too. We will need a couple of leaders that have played at Prem level but respect Sam's captaincy. Our 'no w@nkers' policy is going to have to continue if we want to maintain the spirit and culture that has been our super power under McKenna. Be interesting to see when push comes to shove how much we dip into the market abroad and how much KMc continues to trust his own knowledge of young English players. Harder to do the requisite character checks on players abroad.
So… on 10:06 - May 7 with 2692 viewsBlueBadger

Yep. Similar format to the last two summers - a smattering of experienced proven players with the 'right stuff' both on and off pitch plus Some Potential to augment the core of the squad.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

So… on 10:06 - May 7 with 2701 viewsjayessess

With the exception of Forest, I think almost every team that goes up (successful or not) tends to end up regularly using 18 or so players, of whom 10-12 will be from their promotion squad and 6-8 will be signings.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

So… on 10:07 - May 7 with 2683 viewsGlasgowBlue

So… on 09:50 - May 7 by portmanking

Two or three signings?!

Hahahahaha. You can't be serious?

Very serious. I've stated where I think we need strengthening. Those signings are in addition to securing the services of Hurtchinson and Sarmieto for another season.

Iron Lion Zion

So… on 10:08 - May 7 with 2665 viewsBellevue_Blue

Definitely not a large scale restructuring but I think the nature of the step up means that we will have turnover of fringe/ squad players. We are currently a squad of 28 and conservatively you'd have thought we lose/ loan the following ...

- Walton or Slicker
- Williams
- Donacien
- Ball
- Travis
- Humphries
- Jackson
- Moore
- Aluko

With 20 players in any given matchday squad, you'd have thought we wouldn't shrink much smaller than the 28 we have gone with this year.

So if that conservative estimate of outgoings is right, that's 9 new players to get back up to a healthy 28 and that would be with Hutch, Sarmiento, Harness etc staying.
So… on 10:10 - May 7 with 2649 viewsTrequartista

It's going to be a few key additions and giving most of the current squad a chance.

It's the Ipswich way.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

So… on 10:17 - May 7 with 2536 viewsportmanking

So… on 10:07 - May 7 by GlasgowBlue

Very serious. I've stated where I think we need strengthening. Those signings are in addition to securing the services of Hurtchinson and Sarmieto for another season.

The mind boggles.

Keepers:
Hladky (may still be off)
Walton (almost certain to go for 1st team football)
Slicker (sticking around)

Defenders:
Woolfie (keep)
Burgess (keep but realistically only as a capable backup)
Edmundson (same as Burgess)
Davis (keep)
Clarke (keep as versatile backup)
Tuanzebe (keep but needs competition)
Donacien (exit door)

Midfielders:
Travis (back to Blackburn)
Ball (exit door)
Harness (exit door)
Humphreys (season loan)
Taylor (backup or maybe even a season loan in the Champ)
Morsy (keep)
Luongo (keep but realistically only as capable backup)
Burns (keep but needs competition)
Aluko (retiring)

Strikers:
Hirst (keep but needs competition)
Chaplin (keep but needs competition)
Jackson (exit door)
Broadhead (keep)
Ali Al-Hamadi (season loan in the Champ)

I make that 1, possibly 2 keepers needed. 3-4 defenders needed. 4-5 midfielders needed and 2 forwards needed.
So… on 10:18 - May 7 with 2515 views_clive_baker_

So… on 10:06 - May 7 by jayessess

With the exception of Forest, I think almost every team that goes up (successful or not) tends to end up regularly using 18 or so players, of whom 10-12 will be from their promotion squad and 6-8 will be signings.

Sounds about right to me.

New GK
Hladky
Slicker
New RB
Clarke
Tuanzebe
Woolf
New CB
Burgess
Davis
New LB
Morsy
New CM
Taylor
Luongo
Chaplin
Burns
Sarmiento (hopefully)
Hutchinson (hopefully)
Broadhead
Hirst
New #9
Al-Hamadi

23 players there, including 6 additions. Edmundson probably sticking around too for squad depth.

Would probably mean most of Donacien, Harness, Jackson, Walton, Ahadme, El-Mizouni, Humphreys, Ball, Ladapo, Baggott, Ndaba, Aluko etc move on in some capacity, i.e. retirement, loan, free or sale. Travis, Williams & Moore to go back.

Can certainly see at least 6 additions on top of hopefully retaining Sarmiento and Hutch. Absolute key to get those 6 right.
So… on 10:19 - May 7 with 2508 viewsflykickingbybgunn

Evolution not revolution. Keep the team spirit. Add a few names by all means and start with Hutch, Sarmiento and Moore
So… on 10:20 - May 7 with 2492 viewsGlasgowBlue

So… on 10:17 - May 7 by portmanking

The mind boggles.

Keepers:
Hladky (may still be off)
Walton (almost certain to go for 1st team football)
Slicker (sticking around)

Defenders:
Woolfie (keep)
Burgess (keep but realistically only as a capable backup)
Edmundson (same as Burgess)
Davis (keep)
Clarke (keep as versatile backup)
Tuanzebe (keep but needs competition)
Donacien (exit door)

Midfielders:
Travis (back to Blackburn)
Ball (exit door)
Harness (exit door)
Humphreys (season loan)
Taylor (backup or maybe even a season loan in the Champ)
Morsy (keep)
Luongo (keep but realistically only as capable backup)
Burns (keep but needs competition)
Aluko (retiring)

Strikers:
Hirst (keep but needs competition)
Chaplin (keep but needs competition)
Jackson (exit door)
Broadhead (keep)
Ali Al-Hamadi (season loan in the Champ)

I make that 1, possibly 2 keepers needed. 3-4 defenders needed. 4-5 midfielders needed and 2 forwards needed.

You think we make between 10 to 13 signings?

Iron Lion Zion

So… on 10:21 - May 7 with 2480 viewsITFCBlues

So… on 10:07 - May 7 by GlasgowBlue

This isn't L1 -> Championship. The gulf is massive, which is why last seasons promoted three have come right back down. If we're thinking that 2-3 quality additions will see us competitive, then we're done before a ball is even kicked.

All of the below are already highly unlikely to be here next season

Travis
Williams
Moore
Ball
Aluko
Donacien
Jackson

Question Marks over Sarmiento & Omari as well. That's already 7 maybe 9 players that we will NEED to replace. That's without even thinking about the fringe players - Will Walton want to stay? Can Harness step up - he's already been out of favour the last 10 or so games. Will Ali stay here or will he go out on loan for a season. It's a massive ask for a player that was playing in L2 6 months ago to now go again in the Prem with a handful of Championship appearances.

For me, there will be a Minimum of ten new signings. KM will know that the jump this time round is huge and we will need to add some quality to have any chance at all of staying up, team spirit etc will only take you sa far in this division when you're playing against world class players every week.

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024