Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sammie Szmodics 15:33 - May 9 with 6226 viewsitfcjoe

Feels an inevitability he ends up with an EPL club (or Celtic) this Summer, and wonder whether it's one we would be in for.

We've been in for him before under McKenna, and we tend to revisit the same targets window to window (or have done previously)

He's obviously had an incredible season with 27 goals, he doesn't strike me as a one season wonder but just a player who has put together what he has threatened to over last few seasons finally

Geographically it works for us, but will his Colchester background be a help or hindrance?

I get people who say 'no resale value' but think in year 1 of the PL, it is important that we get some players in their prime as well because we can't just be developing players wholly - we need to hit the ground running. Remember this ownership group signed Freddie Ladapo, Greg Leigh, Marcus Harness, Mass Luongo and Dom Ball in L1, these were players for the here and now and not ones with any real resale value or scope to develop.

I think that element of our recruitment (i.e. looking for resale value) is very much over-egged, realistically Leif Davis and Harry Clarke the only 2 players signed in that mould so don't expect us to go too heavy in that direction.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Sammie Szmodics on 12:21 - May 10 with 412 viewsITFCBlues

Sammie Szmodics on 10:49 - May 10 by jayessess

The best offer Blackburn got was from Fulham for "up to £10m" in August 2022 with 12 months on his deal, off the back of 22 goals in 38 games. He was only 23 though. They were holding out for £15m and didn't get it, then lost him for free the following Summer.

Wouldn't say the lesson there is that Championship clubs are in a position to hold out for big big money when one of their older players has an unexpectedly good season. Szmodics being on a longer contract obviously makes a big difference, but age pushes the other way (and means both he and Blackburn have a narrowing window to make that sort of deal).
[Post edited 10 May 10:58]

They wanted 15m. We've also seen how difficult Blackburn are to deal with in January. They're certainly not likely to sell for 10m.

https://www.nottinghamforest.news/2023/01/13/report-nottingham-forest-considerin

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Sammie Szmodics on 12:26 - May 10 with 395 viewsportmanking

Sammie Szmodics on 12:21 - May 10 by ITFCBlues

They wanted 15m. We've also seen how difficult Blackburn are to deal with in January. They're certainly not likely to sell for 10m.

https://www.nottinghamforest.news/2023/01/13/report-nottingham-forest-considerin

If Szmodics gets a PL offer for £10m, he'd be fuming if the club stands in his way.
Sammie Szmodics on 12:37 - May 10 with 362 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

If it's £12-£14m (which includes realistic add ons) then I think it's something we will look at.

One thing I really like about Szmodics is his energy and work rate. The goals aside, this is something that has always stood out. A tireless runner which is something we are going to need.

Poll: If selling Jackson meant getting in a wide man, would you be happy with Garbutt?

Sammie Szmodics on 12:38 - May 10 with 361 viewsWhos_blue

I think if KM fancies him, we'd find ourselves in a strong position to get him.
I like him as a player, but think he would have to adapt his style to fit in with our formation. I think we'll be starting with Hirst as the lone striker, so SS would have to fit into the 10, which of course puts pressure on Chappers.
I don't know too much about SS's history, but I've never heard anything, so would come baggage free, which always features highly on KM's tick sheet.

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

Sammie Szmodics on 12:57 - May 10 with 323 viewsBondiBlue

Sammie Szmodics on 12:38 - May 10 by Whos_blue

I think if KM fancies him, we'd find ourselves in a strong position to get him.
I like him as a player, but think he would have to adapt his style to fit in with our formation. I think we'll be starting with Hirst as the lone striker, so SS would have to fit into the 10, which of course puts pressure on Chappers.
I don't know too much about SS's history, but I've never heard anything, so would come baggage free, which always features highly on KM's tick sheet.

I don't know if he'd have to adapt. Mckenna tends to adapt the team to suit players. One thing we don't have is a left sided ten that can run in behind. Broadhead's not quick enough. But that's smodzics game. When we needs someone to pick that ball up in the hole, play broadhead. When there is space in behind, play smodzics there. Chappers would stay in the team for me.

Poll: Which would you accept?

Sammie Szmodics on 13:11 - May 10 with 283 viewsjayessess

Sammie Szmodics on 12:21 - May 10 by ITFCBlues

Depends if Blackburn learn any lessons really, doesn't it? They realised zero pounds and zero pence worth of value out of Brereton Diaz.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024