Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Michael Cooper 21:46 - May 9 with 3751 viewsitfctilidie

Set to leave Plymouth this summer, cash plus Walton maybe?
Michael Cooper on 21:48 - May 9 with 3724 viewsTractorCam

What would be the point of that?

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Michael Cooper on 22:00 - May 9 with 3602 viewsBLUEBEAT

Michael Cooper on 21:48 - May 9 by TractorCam

What would be the point of that?

So he can play in goal for ITFC, I would imagine.

Poll: W or W

Michael Cooper on 22:34 - May 9 with 3366 viewsBloomBlue

Would Cooper be happy as the backup GK?
Michael Cooper on 22:38 - May 9 with 3347 viewsjayessess

Think it's quite difficult to judge which keepers would work for us really. Cooper's an excellent goalkeeper, but not the foggiest idea how he rates in comparison to Hladky as a footballer.

The Watford keeper, Bachmann, was the one who most impressed me in terms of quality with his feet and hands.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Michael Cooper on 23:24 - May 9 with 3131 viewsWicklowBlue

Michael Cooper on 22:38 - May 9 by jayessess

Think it's quite difficult to judge which keepers would work for us really. Cooper's an excellent goalkeeper, but not the foggiest idea how he rates in comparison to Hladky as a footballer.

The Watford keeper, Bachmann, was the one who most impressed me in terms of quality with his feet and hands.

Linking a previous post on Cooper....

Most impressive opposition players in the Championship? by Vegtablue 6 May 16:39
Cooper's rightly attracted attention. Two areas in which he's excelled, again, are shot-stopping and cross-stopping. Two areas in which his numbers are near the bottom for the division, however, are sweeper-keeping actions and pass completion.

Are his numbers in those two categories being held back by tactics and teammates? From their forum, the following opinion drew support and went unchallenged: "nowhere near good enough with the ball at his feet to be considered elite." Much of this may stem from his long-kicking game, which isn't our style anyway, and it's argued his excellent distribution with the gloves makes up for any shortcomings on the ball.

He doesn't appear to be a do-it-all GK though, so it's likely a question of what attributes are more important to McKenna. If he values the footballer-goalkeeper hybrid in the PL too, I don't see Cooper replacing Hladky.

Michael Cooper on 05:22 - May 10 with 2864 viewsMK1

Michael Cooper on 22:34 - May 9 by BloomBlue

Would Cooper be happy as the backup GK?

He would be first choice. One of, if not, the best keeper outside the Prem.
Michael Cooper on 08:40 - May 10 with 2494 viewsitfcjoe

Walton's wages are going to be so far out of Plymouth's structure the deal wouldn't work - and not convinced we want to sign a keeper who we haven't seen do it with his feet

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Michael Cooper on 08:57 - May 10 with 2406 viewsBlueBoots

If we're looking at out of contract keepers, my pick would be Mat Ryan at AZ Alkmaar; proper sweeper keeper, top tier experience, and as Aussie captain I'd hope Burgess and Luongo could get in his earhole and sell the club to him. Doubt wages would be an issue, as Dutch league pretty sensible on that score.

That said, more than happy for Hladky to stay on and have a crack at the Prem having proven himself in the Championship; Walton is a difficult one having effectively missed a season of football - if we're taking the one year option, I suppose it's either with a view to sell or maybe loan out to a Championship club next season. Slicker definitely needs a season of football on loan next year, as would now count towards squad numbers.

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

Login to get fewer ads

Michael Cooper on 08:59 - May 10 with 2394 viewsrickw

Cooper was statistically the best keeper in the Championship, so I'd sign him to compete with Hladky.

I was looking on the Plymouth forum a week ago and they said they valued him at £20m but thinks he'll go for £5m now as he just has a year left on his contract

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Michael Cooper on 09:05 - May 10 with 2367 viewsEuropablue

Michael Cooper on 08:59 - May 10 by rickw

Cooper was statistically the best keeper in the Championship, so I'd sign him to compete with Hladky.

I was looking on the Plymouth forum a week ago and they said they valued him at £20m but thinks he'll go for £5m now as he just has a year left on his contract

I don't see him as an upgrade on Walton.
Also, do you know why Cooper did so well on the stats? It's because he is in a team that gives away a lot of chances and Hladky doesn't and Walton didn't even get a look in.
5 million on a similar quality goalkeeper doesn't seem like a good use of resources.
Michael Cooper on 09:41 - May 10 with 2220 viewsKentish_Tractor

Its a yes from me.

As much as I love Vaz - the step up from Champ to Prem is far bigger than L1 to Champ. Yes he's good with his feet - but for me he's just not good enough with his hands to be a prem keeper. If we try and play our passing game with the majority of our current squad against the Man Citys and Liverpools of this world (or anyone that presses high really) with Vaz in goal, we are going to get thumped 6-2 regularly. We're not going to be as free-scoring next year, and therefore in my opinion we NEED to sure-up at the back. And part of that for me starts between the sticks.

Poll: How often are you refreshing TWTD today?

Michael Cooper on 09:57 - May 10 with 2172 viewsRimsy

I'd take him. Commands his box better than Hladky. Hladky been excellent but always looks on the verge of a cockup, and he doesn't catch enough. Good shot stopper, but that should be given for a Premier league keeper.

BlueBlood

Michael Cooper on 10:11 - May 10 with 2098 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Carl Rushworth please.

Much better option than Cooper imo. Too many injury questions.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Michael Cooper on 10:14 - May 10 with 2078 viewsElderGrizzly

Michael Cooper on 08:57 - May 10 by BlueBoots

If we're looking at out of contract keepers, my pick would be Mat Ryan at AZ Alkmaar; proper sweeper keeper, top tier experience, and as Aussie captain I'd hope Burgess and Luongo could get in his earhole and sell the club to him. Doubt wages would be an issue, as Dutch league pretty sensible on that score.

That said, more than happy for Hladky to stay on and have a crack at the Prem having proven himself in the Championship; Walton is a difficult one having effectively missed a season of football - if we're taking the one year option, I suppose it's either with a view to sell or maybe loan out to a Championship club next season. Slicker definitely needs a season of football on loan next year, as would now count towards squad numbers.

He's 32 and playing regular first team football, which he didn't do for almost 2 years after he left Brighton in 2021 (6 games or something in that time)

I can't see him being the upgrade on Hladky that is perceived.

I don't think we need a new No.1 anyway, unless Hladky has been offered a better long-term deal elsewhere. We need to figure out how we provide competition/back-up as Walton isn't going to stick around as No.2 and we shouldn't keep him on the wages he is on.
Michael Cooper on 10:17 - May 10 with 2046 viewsKieran_Knows

Michael Cooper on 10:11 - May 10 by TRUE_BLUE123

Carl Rushworth please.

Rushworth is a very good shout to be fair.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Michael Cooper on 10:35 - May 10 with 1920 viewsyorkshireblue

Michael Cooper on 10:11 - May 10 by TRUE_BLUE123

Carl Rushworth please.

Would be very happy with this.
Michael Cooper on 10:57 - May 10 with 1837 viewsjayessess

Michael Cooper on 09:41 - May 10 by Kentish_Tractor

Its a yes from me.

As much as I love Vaz - the step up from Champ to Prem is far bigger than L1 to Champ. Yes he's good with his feet - but for me he's just not good enough with his hands to be a prem keeper. If we try and play our passing game with the majority of our current squad against the Man Citys and Liverpools of this world (or anyone that presses high really) with Vaz in goal, we are going to get thumped 6-2 regularly. We're not going to be as free-scoring next year, and therefore in my opinion we NEED to sure-up at the back. And part of that for me starts between the sticks.

Whilst we're going to have to somewhat cut our cloth accordingly in terms of style of play next season, I can't see that we're going to rip up every pattern of play and emerge as a team that has literally no need of a footballing goalkeeper.

Think it would be hugely damaging to drop a guy in there with little ability with his feet whilst everyone in the team has ingrained patterns of play that involving using the keeper as a passing option.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Michael Cooper on 11:31 - May 10 with 1690 viewscrouchendyachtclub

Michael Cooper on 09:05 - May 10 by Europablue

I don't see him as an upgrade on Walton.
Also, do you know why Cooper did so well on the stats? It's because he is in a team that gives away a lot of chances and Hladky doesn't and Walton didn't even get a look in.
5 million on a similar quality goalkeeper doesn't seem like a good use of resources.

Not sure about that justification based once hances conceded. We conceded 80% of the amount that Plymouth did so if we concede such a significantly smaller number of chances then that would suggest that we actually concede from a higher number of them.
Michael Cooper on 14:41 - May 10 with 1410 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Michael Cooper on 10:17 - May 10 by Kieran_Knows

Not sure what his situation is at Brighton. But exactly the profile we should be after.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Michael Cooper on 17:07 - May 10 with 1249 viewsParky

Michael Cooper on 10:17 - May 10 by Kieran_Knows

Probably unrealistic, but I think Patterson at Sunderland is the best of the lot.
Michael Cooper on 17:13 - May 10 with 1229 viewsMK1

Michael Cooper on 08:40 - May 10 by itfcjoe

Walton's wages are going to be so far out of Plymouth's structure the deal wouldn't work - and not convinced we want to sign a keeper who we haven't seen do it with his feet

Walton reported to be on £6,000 a week. Pretty sure Plymouth can afford that.
Michael Cooper on 20:03 - May 10 with 1060 viewssouthnorfolkblue

Michael Cooper on 17:13 - May 10 by MK1

Walton reported to be on £6,000 a week. Pretty sure Plymouth can afford that.

I thought it was three times that tbh. No def info, but sure I read it somewhere

Poll: Our final position

Michael Cooper on 22:17 - May 10 with 897 viewsGeoffSentence

any idea what Johanssen(?) from Rotherham is likewith his feet? Decent keeper and got a 900k release clause.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Michael Cooper on 22:19 - May 10 with 882 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Michael Cooper on 22:17 - May 10 by GeoffSentence

any idea what Johanssen(?) from Rotherham is likewith his feet? Decent keeper and got a 900k release clause.

Not good enough with his feet. Unreal shot stopper mind. But I suppose when you play for rotherham and face 768 shots per game its good training.

Michael Cooper on 10:56 - May 11 with 616 viewschicoazul

Nick Pope.

///tap nose, wink

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024