Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Are town well primed for the prem? 23:07 - May 11 with 3521 viewsFrimleyBlue

Having a think about it tonight..

It's well known over the past 2 seasons that we don't have a specific formation it's more 'roles' of individuals and phases of play. Double pivots etc etc.

We've gone from controlling games with the ball in league 1. To begin more direct in the championship as KM has himself explained.

So whilst there's talk of the 3 clubs coming down and why town are different... is the difference the fact we have indeed had 2 seasons of playing variable forms of style that puts us in a great position going into the highest league where you effectively have to mould both styles onto one..

I hope the above makes sense. I know what I'm getting at but sometimes it doesn't come across right.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Are town well primed for the prem? on 12:23 - May 12 with 470 viewsDeepBlueSea

If you could bottle and sell knowledge of how promoted sides will get on in the Premiership you’d be a billionaire quite quickly. So I’d take any reply claiming to be certain, with a bucket of salt

That said, I do have faith that McKenna is;
a) clever enough to make a pretty good guess at the above,
b) not wedded to a specific formation/style of play. And
c) will be given the backing, support, and freedom to act on his intentions.

And the combination of those three, whilst not being guaranteed to be enough to keep us in the Prem, puts us in good stead. Likely more than Norwich’s manager for example/
Are town well primed for the prem? on 13:08 - May 12 with 441 viewsMK1

Are town well primed for the prem? on 11:23 - May 12 by FrimleyBlue

Pathetic. Poor. Shte. Probably Loads more terrible phrases used at times through the season of which apologies have been given out. So thanks for your contribution, not sure what that specifically has to do with town being well primed. But thank you anyway.

I think in readiness for the coming season. There will be some who think we should be easily beating the likes of Bournemouth and Fulham at home. Points are going to be hard earnt and this is where the recruitment has to be right. (which I trust us to do)
Are town well primed for the prem? on 15:51 - May 12 with 394 viewsVegtablue

Four Four Two did an excellent video analysis on this recently, concluding there's no single solution to stopping our play. We are irrepressible shapeshifters.

My only prediction is that our summer signings will be in the 8-12 bracket rather than 3-4. We'll be competing against 17+ teams of significantly more quality than this season's Leicester or Leeds, both of which didn't survive with much stronger squads than they've put out in the Championship. We didn't really threaten a win against either, as gallantly as we battled for the Leicester draws.

Likewise, much has rightly been made of how uncompetitive this year's trio have been; it all demonstrates the chasm that has formed between the two leagues since we were last here. Burnley were good enough to hit 101 points and +52 GD in the Championship, losing just 3 games. They then spent £95M on transfer fees, sold none of their talent and have transformed into whipping boys. Opinion may be that their tactics were naively one-dimensional, but 5 wins and 24 points remains rough treatment for a souped-up version of the side that was on easy street in the division below. Luton, for all their praise, concede over 2 goals a game and are likely to finish on 26 points, which may translate to 10 points below where Forest would have finished without their deductions (Burnley v Forest one to keep tabs on next weekend).

I'd love to see the main group be successful again with just a few reinforcements, but the above is why my head tells me to prepare for something closer to a 50-50 fusion, at least for the core 16 or so players who finish with 1,000+ minutes.
Are town well primed for the prem? on 19:25 - May 12 with 335 viewsspiderman

Are town well primed for the prem? on 08:56 - May 12 by Blue_In_Boston

This last season we picked up very few points from the top six teams. If you take the double over Southampton then it's a very poor total.

Goals conceded is far too many, I don't think we can concede at even that rate and expect to pick up points in the Prem. Not often I agree with Don Goodman but in his piece I do think he is correct that that is where promoted teams need to start. Tighten the defence as scoring 90 goals next season just isn't realistic.

Having said all that I think we can stay up, every confidence that KMK is a realistic and will adapt to give us every chance.

I'm thinking 10 wins and 10 draws and we are safe, with a few additions with a well drilled squad already at the club
And keiron at the wheel im quietly confident next season
The only thing that worries me is the diving and VAR, and always at the back of my mind if man United come in for keiron
Are town well primed for the prem? on 19:30 - May 12 with 329 viewsMK1

Are town well primed for the prem? on 19:25 - May 12 by spiderman

I'm thinking 10 wins and 10 draws and we are safe, with a few additions with a well drilled squad already at the club
And keiron at the wheel im quietly confident next season
The only thing that worries me is the diving and VAR, and always at the back of my mind if man United come in for keiron

10 wins and 10 draws will easily see us survive. Man Utd ain't going after McKenna. (yet)
Are town well primed for the prem? on 19:56 - May 12 with 306 viewsNthQldITFC

Are town well primed for the prem? on 02:19 - May 12 by Guthrum

McKenna has three-and-a-half seasons experience assistant managing in the Prem. He knows what's needed, how the various types of team, play. He has already had to work out ways of countering anyone from Man City to Fulham.

He also has a core of players whose skills and limitations he is extremely familiar with.

All he has to do is put the two parts together.

Interestingly some of the well informed podcast pundits (Man U ones I think) have said that whilst Solksjaer, Carrick and McKenna were slagged off by United fans at the time, it was actually McKenna who was the one who came up with successful plans for some of their notable successes at the time. Whether that's rewriting history, or cherry picking I don't know, but you get the impression he's becoming a bit rehabilitated in Utd eyes now. Not enough to be a problem to us at the moment though, one hopes.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Are town well primed for the prem? on 23:42 - May 12 with 221 viewsCoastalblue

We have to utilise our strengths, because much like this season we are not going to have the strongest squad in the division, and possibly among the weakest.

What we do have though is a team spirit that ranks at least the equal to anybody else, which goes a huge way, see Burley's first season, and a high, high quality manager.

I suspect KM will pinpoint three or four positions where an upgrade, of somebody with the right sort of mindset will potentially make the difference in some games.

Our other big advantage is that we don't have a style as such, we don't play with 'tactics', we play with a mindset or mentality that we apply to the situation which means we are really not stuck with playing 'our way' in games where it will clearly not be suitable.

Virtually the same team has gone from playing games where we might have 70% of the possession, and win, to games where we might only have 40% of the possession, and win.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024