Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ipswich in the Premier League squad position analysis map 09:51 - May 12 with 3175 viewsunstableblue

So a huge step up ahead for McKenna’s boys

We have the advantage of McKenna’s brilliance, a positive team culture, fired up fan base that can make PR intimidating, and a system that is ingrained across the club.

The challenge is the step-up in the technical ability of players, the scale and level of technical coaching and system set-up depth (set-piece coaches etc), the speed of the game, the ruthlessness of opposition attack as opposed to the Championship.

But if we believe in ourselves, stick to our principles, take the game to the opposition, and limit the scale of squad change, we will have a chance to stay up.

But significant squad change is needed.

My thoughts (relative starting order by each position)

GK
1. Hladky
2. Walton
3. Slicker

RB
1. Axel
2. Clarke

RCB
1. New player
2. Wolf
3. Edmundson

LCB
1. Burgess
2. New player
3. Baggot

RCB
1. Davis
2. New player

RCM
1. Morsy
2. New player

LCM
1. New player
2. Taylor
3. Luongo

RAM
1. Burns
2. New player

No.10
1. New player
2. Sarmiento
3. Chaplin

LAM

1. New player
2. Broadhead

Striker

1. New player
2. Hirst
3. Ali

Humphreys is going on loan. Potentially Baggot. Sarmiento is returning. I’m not sure about Omari.

We say goodbye to Donacien, Ball, Travis, Harness, Jackson, Aluko, Moore

9 new players a hell of a lot. Maybe be higher.

Maybe even 10, if more depth in certain positions needed.

Our central midfield is too slow. You might not even see Morsy start the first game. But we need continuity.

I think take the goalies and much of the back 4 forward. Axel can play at this level. Davis too. Gamble on Burgess.
[Post edited 12 May 9:55]

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Ipswich in the Premier League squad position analysis map on 10:13 - May 12 with 3054 viewsnorfsufblue

Axel if he continues to stay fit is easily a Premier Centre back... I thinkwe may be looking for a right back to push a ( hopefully fully fit) Clarke and we definitely need another option to Leif Davies, grudgingly I think Goodman is right in that we do need to do work on our defence .... I'd not rule out McKenna showing faith in Baggott though as a I believe there is an exceptional player in there!
Ipswich in the Premier League squad position analysis map on 10:19 - May 12 with 3021 viewsunstableblue

Ipswich in the Premier League squad position analysis map on 10:13 - May 12 by norfsufblue

Axel if he continues to stay fit is easily a Premier Centre back... I thinkwe may be looking for a right back to push a ( hopefully fully fit) Clarke and we definitely need another option to Leif Davies, grudgingly I think Goodman is right in that we do need to do work on our defence .... I'd not rule out McKenna showing faith in Baggott though as a I believe there is an exceptional player in there!

Humphreys will go out.

And probably Baggot again, but the way he turned round his firm at Rovers was remarkable. Lambasted at the start, to being seen as probably one of their best player by the end. He will also suit the Premier League. But still too inexperienced to probably play next season.

Ipswich in the Premier League squad position analysis map on 10:28 - May 12 with 2968 viewssmithy69

There is zero chance our captain won’t start the 1st game. Zero
Ipswich in the Premier League squad position analysis map on 10:28 - May 12 with 2964 viewsibbleobble

Significant squad change isn’t needed, that would be detrimental to the “positive culture” you referred to. Assuming we get Sarmiento, Moore and Omari back we’ll sign four or five.
[Post edited 12 May 10:36]
Ipswich in the Premier League squad position analysis map on 10:31 - May 12 with 2951 viewsOsmansCleanSheet

We’ll need a better keeper for the Premier League. Hladky has his strengths of course, but the weaknesses in his game, such as shots from distance and command of the six yard box, are too big for that level.
Ipswich in the Premier League squad position analysis map on 11:02 - May 12 with 2878 viewsJ2BLUE

I think a RB will be a priority with Tuanzebe moving to CB. A new RB to compete with Clarke.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Ipswich in the Premier League squad position analysis map on 12:26 - May 12 with 2749 viewsunstableblue

Ipswich in the Premier League squad position analysis map on 10:31 - May 12 by OsmansCleanSheet

We’ll need a better keeper for the Premier League. Hladky has his strengths of course, but the weaknesses in his game, such as shots from distance and command of the six yard box, are too big for that level.

I don’t disagree. But there does need to be some continuity in the spine of the team. And Hladky is a key part of our playing style.

But errors do happen - albeit less than people think - and if we’re learnt anything from Burnley is cheap goals along the back line will definitely get you relegated.

Maybe they will get someone in; but someone better than Hladky would cost a lot. And other areas are more critical.

Ipswich in the Premier League squad position analysis map on 12:39 - May 12 with 2699 viewsunstableblue

Ipswich in the Premier League squad position analysis map on 10:28 - May 12 by smithy69

There is zero chance our captain won’t start the 1st game. Zero

Agree Morsy is likely to start, club captain, player of the year, key ingredient of why we got promoted… and hence put him in starting position in line-up.

BUT… the pace, agility and quality of central midfielders in the Premier League is another level, Luton brought in Ross Barkly for example… albeit in the Luongo role.

And Sam struggled against the parachute teams midfields. Especially for pace. He’s 33 in Sept.

So yes agree he will and should start. But I’d make pace and quality in central midfield a main priority.

Login to get fewer ads

Ipswich in the Premier League squad position analysis map on 14:48 - May 12 with 2518 viewsibbleobble

Ipswich in the Premier League squad position analysis map on 10:31 - May 12 by OsmansCleanSheet

Walton. Look no further.
Ipswich in the Premier League squad position analysis map on 15:30 - May 12 with 2438 viewspennblue

Ipswich in the Premier League squad position analysis map on 11:02 - May 12 by J2BLUE

I think a RB will be a priority with Tuanzebe moving to CB. A new RB to compete with Clarke.

I cant believe he will move tuenzebe to a centre back, pretty sure he sees him as a rb

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

Ipswich in the Premier League squad position analysis map on 20:05 - May 12 with 2192 viewsunstableblue

Ipswich in the Premier League squad position analysis map on 14:48 - May 12 by ibbleobble

Walton. Look no further.

Yup

I think Walton brings is a more orthodox keeper, and that may suit Town in the Premier League when we’re trying to keep it tight and ensure we avoid errors in playing out of the box.

I do think goalkeeper is not our most pressing positions to upgrade.

£15m fee for just one of the 9 new players needed, wowsers on 08:58 - May 20 with 1602 viewsunstableblue

Taylor Harwood-Bellis to take that spot ahead of Wolfie as needed, is a strong rumour. Predicated on Saints losing to Leeds in the play-off final. With a £15m buy-out from Man City for their academy product.

It’s an eye watering fee. And with circa 8 other deals to be done it does make you realise the step-up in squad quality and overall outlay is massive and risky.

Burnley spent £90m last summer, but then again they had parachutes already. We won’t go that high, but surely we’ll outspend the £20m outlay of Luton.

I think 2 or 3 £10m record breaking signings then loans and frees perhaps will be our approach. A Ross Barkley on a free, and you know the £43k a week salary!!

Will we finally tap the foreign market? I’ve heard no mention of scouting or connections to the continent.

One thing of interest is that our owners bought 100% of the club for £45m a few years ago. Then sold 40% for up to £105m. These are relatively low values, given the transfer fees this summer, the eventual wage bill, and the £135m annual Sky revenue. These are ratios that show we were a Premier potential club sold at a League One value. As Schwartz stated they see the TV revenue as still having upside as the Premier League grows further - a brand perhaps diminished by Man City dominance.

One things for sure it’s a real tightrope for Ashton to spend enough to give us a fighting chance, but not creative risky financial exposure. Hence we may stick to fees for younger players with upside and older stagers via frees and loans.

Fascinating and exciting.

Ipswich in the Premier League squad position analysis map on 09:12 - May 20 with 1521 viewssurreyblue

The other challenge with the squad you've set out is that there are 28 players when we can only have a squad of 25! U21 players will likely need to be born after 1 Jan 2003, so the likes of slicker, Baggott and Ali will need to take up a squad space rather than being extras. The players that I can see that would fall outside of this are Humphries and (if he returns) Omari.
Ipswich in the Premier League squad position analysis map on 09:23 - May 20 with 1434 viewsjayessess

Ipswich in the Premier League squad position analysis map on 11:02 - May 12 by J2BLUE

If Axel was going to oust Woolfenden from RCB, I think he already would have done.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Ipswich in the Premier League squad position analysis map on 10:18 - May 20 with 1246 viewsPioneerBlue

Total guess (this needs at least one of the new players to be U21 and 1-2 to be able to cover a couple of positions to make the squad depth work and still raises a question over what to do next with Slicker);

1 Vlad (gk)
2 Woolfenden, Burgess
2 Clarke, Davis
2 Morsy, Luongo
3 Burns, Chaplin, Broadhead
1 Hirst

=11

Then…

Keep
Slicker? GE, AT, Taylor, MH, AAH

=7 + 11 = 18

Plus…

Need new
GK, CD, LB, CM x 2, RW 1, Forward 10 x 2, Striker 9

Surplus
Walton, Don, Ball, KJ?

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Ipswich in the Premier League squad position analysis map on 10:19 - May 20 with 1225 viewschicoazul

That’s not a map.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Ipswich in the Premier League squad position analysis map on 10:20 - May 20 with 1224 viewstractorboy1978

Ipswich in the Premier League squad position analysis map on 09:23 - May 20 by jayessess

If Axel was going to oust Woolfenden from RCB, I think he already would have done.

I think it was a bit needs must at RB in the final couple of months of the season really. With Williams going back and Clarke's achilles issues, we needed Axel at RB. Don't necessarily see him ousting Woolfy at CB but be surprised if he's seen primarily as a RB next season.
Ipswich in the Premier League squad position analysis map on 10:25 - May 20 with 1193 viewstractorboy1978

Ipswich in the Premier League squad position analysis map on 10:18 - May 20 by PioneerBlue

Total guess (this needs at least one of the new players to be U21 and 1-2 to be able to cover a couple of positions to make the squad depth work and still raises a question over what to do next with Slicker);

1 Vlad (gk)
2 Woolfenden, Burgess
2 Clarke, Davis
2 Morsy, Luongo
3 Burns, Chaplin, Broadhead
1 Hirst

=11

Then…

Keep
Slicker? GE, AT, Taylor, MH, AAH

=7 + 11 = 18

Plus…

Need new
GK, CD, LB, CM x 2, RW 1, Forward 10 x 2, Striker 9

Surplus
Walton, Don, Ball, KJ?

I've got this funny feeling Ali could be class next season. He's got all the attributes and tools to be whatever he wants to be. Looked very raw at times but he's got the profile of a forward that is going to be a handful - pace/power is difficult to play against whoever you are. And we can't forget he was playing with an injury from as soon as he arrived.
Come on Chico - use your imagination, visualise, go geospatial (n/t) on 11:45 - May 20 with 983 viewsunstableblue

Ipswich in the Premier League squad position analysis map on 10:19 - May 20 by chicoazul

That’s not a map.

Ipswich in the Premier League squad position analysis map on 12:03 - May 20 with 932 viewsburnbudgiesburn

Would not surprise me to see Jackson get another year, think one of the podcasts mention that its easier to get Jackson to be a 24th or 25th member of the squad not playing many minutes rather than signing someone to do that.

We will definitely sign 8-10 players though, that's not some big gutting of the squad or upsetting the balance just natural churn.

I think re Morsy, he'll sit a lot deeper next season - he'll start every game he is available for as he is the only player in the squad currently capable of taking the ball from the back 4/gk on the turn.
Ipswich in the Premier League squad position analysis map on 12:47 - May 20 with 775 viewsdirtyboy

Ipswich in the Premier League squad position analysis map on 10:19 - May 20 by chicoazul

That’s not a map.

I'm lost
Ipswich in the Premier League squad position analysis map on 13:52 - May 20 with 597 viewssurreyblue

Ipswich in the Premier League squad position analysis map on 12:03 - May 20 by burnbudgiesburn

Would not surprise me to see Jackson get another year, think one of the podcasts mention that its easier to get Jackson to be a 24th or 25th member of the squad not playing many minutes rather than signing someone to do that.

We will definitely sign 8-10 players though, that's not some big gutting of the squad or upsetting the balance just natural churn.

I think re Morsy, he'll sit a lot deeper next season - he'll start every game he is available for as he is the only player in the squad currently capable of taking the ball from the back 4/gk on the turn.

With Jackson, if we are being harsh, he also gives an easy option to remove from the 25 if we feel that we need to strengthen in January.
Ipswich in the Premier League squad position analysis map on 13:54 - May 20 with 587 viewsHorsham

I don’t think we’ll fit 6 central defenders in a 25 man squad imho. 4 max and probably need to go longer on wingers/10’s.
Ipswich in the Premier League squad position analysis map on 14:08 - May 20 with 487 viewsjayessess

A few other thoughts.

In a higher division I wonder if we're going to adjust our shape back towards McKenna's 2021-22 three-at-the-back system. We've always had the LB play much higher than the RB and Tuanzebe started 11 of our last 13 games. So it might be that we're looking much more at that kind of shape.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Ipswich in the Premier League squad position analysis map on 14:12 - May 20 with 448 viewsbaxterbasics

I think we will see that many changes, but not necessarily over the summer. The starting XI will probably be closer to the current than most of us are predicting. January window will be when we see a truly different team.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024