Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Some advice/help please TWTD 21:44 - May 12 with 727 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

So I’ve been looking into a career change in recent months. And I’ve decided I would like to be a sports journalist.

However, everyone keeps telling me it’s an industry that is about ‘who you know’ to get a foot into the door. Everywhere I’ve looked seems to want either a journalism degree or prior experience. I do have a degree in sports but not in journalism. And obviously I write my horse racing previews which can be quite analytical etc. I enjoy it and I think I’m alright at it. So how do I get a foot into the door somewhere without the experience required.

If anyone knows anyone or can think of a suggestion, I’m all ears. Thanks in advance folks

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

I assume SomethingBlue.... on 21:46 - May 12 with 701 viewsBloots

...or young Mr Ham would be your first port of call?

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

Some advice/help please TWTD on 21:58 - May 12 with 625 viewsMJallday

Many years ago I started on that path
I started by getting work experience at my local bbc radio station. Basically worked for free on Saturdays as part of the production team

I eventually went off to uni and did other stuff but the guys who started with me have been in sports journalism to this day

Anyway , long story short, volunteer at bbc

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Some advice/help please TWTD on 23:15 - May 12 with 496 viewsTheMoralMajority

I have no experience in journalism, so I am just an outsider looking in (albeit one who had a midlife career change). What I say may be nonsense, but as a layman...

You are picking a *very* difficult industry to move to. Journalism, more than most, has been absolutely decimated by the internet and the plethora of free content... People expect free content, the problem being that free content does not pay bills.

However, if it were me looking to do it, I would start with a sports related blog, and try to build a following, as well as a body of work that I could use to pitch myself to potential employers in the future... Ultimately, you are likely going to have to put yourself out there for free before anyone is likely to take a punt on you.

Or... that could all be bs. Who knows?

...but do signatures really work?

Some advice/help please TWTD on 10:36 - May 15 with 237 viewsitfcjoe

I think nowadays you just have to take the opportunity to get yourself out there as much as you can using Substack, online blogs, and the works.

If I was being totally honest, your passion seems to be in horse racing, and gambling, so I'd be looking to run a full tipping service or the like and seeing if you can make a go that way - if you can show a good track record then people will follow you, but as you know as well as anyone doing so isn't easy.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024