Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
‘Magical thinking’: hopes for sustainable jet fuel not realistic, report fin 19:05 - May 14 with 592 viewsNthQldITFC

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/article/2024/may/14/sustainable-jet-fuel

I think we all knew this really, didn't we, if we're honest.

We can't keep making excuses to carry on living the way we do, or the laws of physics are likely to really fk us over, and probably a lot sooner than most of us expect.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

‘Magical thinking’: hopes for sustainable jet fuel not realistic, report fin on 19:32 - May 14 with 539 viewsSwansea_Blue

It’s frustrating, as there are options that could be scaled given enough support. But we don’t want to subsidise it, as there’s not enough short-term profit for investors. I suppose there’s some sense in that given other areas are far more polluting, but it seems short-sighted to not subsidise the uptake of potentially game changing technologies.

Although here’s your regular reminder that the fossil fuel industry received over $1 trillion of subsidies globally in 2022, the highest on record, despite the industry making record revenue of over $4 trillion.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

‘Magical thinking’: hopes for sustainable jet fuel not realistic, report fin on 19:59 - May 14 with 509 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

‘Magical thinking’: hopes for sustainable jet fuel not realistic, report fin on 19:32 - May 14 by Swansea_Blue

It’s frustrating, as there are options that could be scaled given enough support. But we don’t want to subsidise it, as there’s not enough short-term profit for investors. I suppose there’s some sense in that given other areas are far more polluting, but it seems short-sighted to not subsidise the uptake of potentially game changing technologies.

Although here’s your regular reminder that the fossil fuel industry received over $1 trillion of subsidies globally in 2022, the highest on record, despite the industry making record revenue of over $4 trillion.

To add to your point- over half of global fossil fuel production was produced by state owned energy companies - in such cases tax payers are directly funding the capital for E&P. Norway are still handing out licenses for artic exploration to their state owned Statoil.
‘Magical thinking’: hopes for sustainable jet fuel not realistic, report fin on 20:25 - May 14 with 496 viewsGuthrum

That is the problem. To get a big aircraft (plus payload) a long distance requires a lot of fuel. It's just the laws of physics.

Much more efficient than it used to be, with modern high-bypass turbofan engines, but still massive consumption in absolute terms.

That's without considering the issue of particulate pollution in the upper atmosphere.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

‘Magical thinking’: hopes for sustainable jet fuel not realistic, report fin on 20:28 - May 14 with 493 viewsfactual_blue

We need a flying car. Piloted by a drunk. ham sandwich-eating fox.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

‘Magical thinking’: hopes for sustainable jet fuel not realistic, report fin on 20:34 - May 14 with 481 viewsJ2BLUE

It will be interesting when the inevitable where are you going for your holiday threads appear on here over the next few weeks.

Plenty talk a good game but don't want to give up their lifestyle.

Not aimed at you OP or anyone specific.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

‘Magical thinking’: hopes for sustainable jet fuel not realistic, report fin on 22:04 - May 14 with 404 viewsNthQldITFC

‘Magical thinking’: hopes for sustainable jet fuel not realistic, report fin on 20:34 - May 14 by J2BLUE

It will be interesting when the inevitable where are you going for your holiday threads appear on here over the next few weeks.

Plenty talk a good game but don't want to give up their lifestyle.

Not aimed at you OP or anyone specific.

Indeed. I haven't flown for nearly ten years now, and I suspect I probably won't fly again. But I'm not sure I won't be tempted to put a bag over the old conscience and nip off to somewhere hot.

We don't do principled selfless action very well.

‘Magical thinking’: hopes for sustainable jet fuel not realistic, report fin on 22:11 - May 14 with 382 viewsNthQldITFC

‘Magical thinking’: hopes for sustainable jet fuel not realistic, report fin on 19:32 - May 14 by Swansea_Blue

Are there really options that could be scaled without massive impacts on other environmental issues though? Biofuel or waste-generated fuels are fine in principle, but how much do you need and what natural ecosystems or farmland do you destroy to create even a fraction of what would be required to lift hundreds of thousands of tons of aircraft every day to 10km, shift them across the world, and put them down again?

I don't know the answer or whether my estimate of mass are remotely close, to be honest.

‘Magical thinking’: hopes for sustainable jet fuel not realistic, report fin on 22:16 - May 14 with 372 viewsLord_Lucan

Oh well, I'll just have to cut down on carrier bags.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Login to get fewer ads

‘Magical thinking’: hopes for sustainable jet fuel not realistic, report fin on 22:18 - May 14 with 368 viewsCoachRob

Tech bros and market dynamics will save civilisation, you just need a little faith.

Seriously though, I wonder how exposed the financial sector is to the impacts you talk about. I've seen pension funds that claim 5C of warming is a risk they can manage and is based on the models built by economists that assumes ergodicity and find optimal warming of 3-3.5C. A recent paper calculated GDP out to 2100 to four significant figures - just ludicrous nonsense. It is no wonder that impacts are likely to hit earlier than people expect as these 'experts' have told them there is little to worry about in this half of the century.

If the financial sector collapses again, the funding for the tech bros, energy transition and adaptation are likely to stall. This would hugely impair our ability to build resilience for the worsening impacts.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024