Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link 23:56 - May 14 with 21795 viewsIllinoisblue

He wouldn’t, would he?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/may/14/manchester-united-ponde

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 12:43 - May 15 with 1222 viewsburnbudgiesburn

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 12:28 - May 15 by BiGDonnie

Agree with this. They've been rubbish this season. Who's to say they won't do a Leicester and be relegated next season.

People are still underestimating what we could potentially do this coming season. If the summer goes well with us landing our top targets, I can see us surprising even more people next season.

It's at this point (us smashing the Prem this year) that's we'll lose KM to one of the big boys.
[Post edited 15 May 12:52]

Agreed. McKenna would go with thanks and my sincerest gratitude for the last 2 seasons but i'd be really dissapointed with him if he left us for anyone but a top 6/7 club whilst we are in the same division.

Brighton and Palace are already at their ceiling, there is more room to grow here on an upward trajectory. Granted, this is my own personal thoughts projected onto the situation. For all we know he may think a more stable Premier league club is what he wants.

And that's the bottom line, let's not forget he chose us and will have seen us as a stepping stone. It will boil down to whether the next stone is a Brighton sized one in his own mind.
Come on for goodness sake on 12:46 - May 15 with 1192 viewsitfcjoe

Come on for goodness sake on 12:22 - May 15 by FrimleyBlue

I actually think those that think this without question, are doing KM a disservice.

It's not a disservice to him, he's the hottest young manager in Europe, is fiercely ambitious and would quite clearly want the job at his boyhood club.

It's a disservice to suggest that him wanting it would be disloyal.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Come on for goodness sake on 12:48 - May 15 with 1162 views_clive_baker_

Come on for goodness sake on 12:46 - May 15 by itfcjoe

It's not a disservice to him, he's the hottest young manager in Europe, is fiercely ambitious and would quite clearly want the job at his boyhood club.

This thread has genuinely blown my mind.
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 12:48 - May 15 with 1145 viewschicoazul

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 11:17 - May 15 by itfcjoe

The PL is now their natural level, they've done as much as possible to make themselves bombproof in that regard and I'd say other than the 'big 6/7', it is Villa, West Ham and Brighton as the clubs who will be th 10 mainstays for the PL over the next decade or so.

Of course one of them can get dragged down, maybe like Leicester did the previous season, but they are a long way ahead of the teams finishing in 11th-17th this season and will stay there for a while.

They are basically at what is our clubs ceiling in the modern footballing landscape, I trust what we have behind the scenes etc to get us close to that, but it is a long journey to build that and one that KMc isn't going to see through as will need faster progression

Good sailing down there too.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 12:49 - May 15 with 1143 viewsFrimleyBlue

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 12:40 - May 15 by _clive_baker_

Ultimately people can talk pros and cons all they like, and there is certainly merit in there being pros to staying, but if you step back from that noise and look at it objectively it would feel highly, highly unlikely that McKenna wouldn't leave us to take the #1 job at United. It's all conjecture, we don't know where his head is at, but we have to be realistic about it. It would be an incredible opportunity for him.

TBH I think its a moot point, the primary reason he wouldn't leave for United right now feels to me to be their keenness to take him, rather than his willingness to go.

Honestly, I see in two ways

the man utd supporter in KM runs at the job

the careful, methodical progressive Mckenna continues his project here.

Afterall, IF he succeeds here, he'll get the offer again

but if he goes, fails... his career could go a different way, plus he's then ruined his closeness to utd.

We'll see at some point, could be now, could be next summer.

All i want though is whatever happens to happen before July.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 12:52 - May 15 with 1083 viewsHerbivore

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 12:49 - May 15 by FrimleyBlue

but if he goes, fails... his career could go a different way, plus he's then ruined his closeness to utd.

You think the only lure to Man U is that he's a fan? Any manager managing us who got offered the United job would jump at the chance, not just because they support United but because they are a much, much, much bigger club than us and are operating on an entirely different plane from us.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 12:53 - May 15 with 1076 viewsNeedhamChris

It's such a disservice to McKenna to suggest the only reason he would take the Man Utd job is being a 'supporter'.

Realistically, their ceiling is far higher than ours. IF he thinks he could turn MUFC around and bring back their glory days AND that is one of his career objectives, he'd be bonkers to turn down that chance in the hope he gets it again?

Poll: Who will Kieran McKenna be managing on 1st August 2024

Come on for goodness sake on 12:56 - May 15 with 1039 viewsFrimleyBlue

I don't think anyone has called him disloyal if he left have they? ( Genuinely I haven't seen that)

I do think it's a disservice to think he'll jump because it's his boyhood club, or rather its man utd. he's not a teenager, he's a manager with 2 promotions, about the play in the same league as his boyhood club and making his own success story. He may well get that move anyway once he's completed his first chapter.

Im not saying he wouldn't take it, I don't know how his mind works. BUT I do think it's a disservice to 'presume' he would easily just because its man utd. I just don't think that's the person KM is.
[Post edited 15 May 12:57]

Waka waka eh eh

Login to get fewer ads

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 12:57 - May 15 with 1030 views_clive_baker_

Continues the project here to what end though? If his ultimate ambition is to manage at Manchester United, which isn't much of a stretch, then what's to gain by not taking such an opportunity when it arises? The suggestion that he stays here only with a view to maybe getting offered it again seems preposterous to me.

I think when it comes to Brentford, and arguably even Brighton then that argument has some merit. He might not need a stepping stone to a top job now, we could be that stepping stone if we have a good season. But that's very different to United if they firmed up their interest. If the top job was there for him now, I see no rational reason to assume he wouldn't take it.

Either way I don't think they will. Tuchel or Southgate I would think.
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 12:57 - May 15 with 1019 viewsStokieBlue

The real problem with your posts today is that you're giving Town and Man United equal weighting as clubs and it's simply not the case. If you were to apply an importance weighting to all your pros and cons it would be something like:

90% - it's Man United
10% - all the other things you've listed

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 13:02 - May 15 with 970 viewsRyorry

Think there might be something in that - the last thing any fan wants is to be associated in any way with somehow (possibly) reducing their club’s fortunes.

Down to individual psychology I suppose - could see some managers avoiding their boyhood clubs for that reason - might depend on the owners.

Poll: Time of the annunciation

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 13:03 - May 15 with 972 viewsFrimleyBlue

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 12:57 - May 15 by _clive_baker_

Continues the project here to what end though? If his ultimate ambition is to manage at Manchester United, which isn't much of a stretch, then what's to gain by not taking such an opportunity when it arises? The suggestion that he stays here only with a view to maybe getting offered it again seems preposterous to me.

I think when it comes to Brentford, and arguably even Brighton then that argument has some merit. He might not need a stepping stone to a top job now, we could be that stepping stone if we have a good season. But that's very different to United if they firmed up their interest. If the top job was there for him now, I see no rational reason to assume he wouldn't take it.

Ultimately imo to gain the required experience to manage a side as big as man utd.

It's a massive leap, as I listed in regards to fan expectations, media etc. Not only that, but you've got players there that said he coached like a school teacher so he's got issues the moment he walks in the door.

There's lots he hasn't had to deal with yet, a run of losses, media asking tough questions, players with big ego's and being managed.

He's got a very unique club set up with town, it's high risk to jump for the complete unknown in a very very difficult league.

im with you though, I think it will end with southgate.

Waka waka eh eh

Come on for goodness sake on 13:04 - May 15 with 967 viewsbluejacko

This subject came up over at the McKenna’s place in Enniskillen and the local journalists that have been following him both said Spurs when I said eventually he moves on!🤔
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 13:04 - May 15 with 952 viewsFrimleyBlue

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 13:02 - May 15 by Ryorry

Think there might be something in that - the last thing any fan wants is to be associated in any way with somehow (possibly) reducing their club’s fortunes.

Down to individual psychology I suppose - could see some managers avoiding their boyhood clubs for that reason - might depend on the owners.

Actually, out of interest... what managers succeeded at their boyhood clubs? there might be a long list, I just don't know myself

Waka waka eh eh

Come on for goodness sake on 13:08 - May 15 with 921 viewsHerbivore

Come on for goodness sake on 12:56 - May 15 by FrimleyBlue

I don't think anyone has called him disloyal if he left have they? ( Genuinely I haven't seen that)

I do think it's a disservice to think he'll jump because it's his boyhood club, or rather its man utd. he's not a teenager, he's a manager with 2 promotions, about the play in the same league as his boyhood club and making his own success story. He may well get that move anyway once he's completed his first chapter.

Im not saying he wouldn't take it, I don't know how his mind works. BUT I do think it's a disservice to 'presume' he would easily just because its man utd. I just don't think that's the person KM is.

Nobody is saying he'll jump just because it's his boyhood club though. He'd jump because Man Utd are one of the biggest clubs in the world who regularly qualify for Europe and reach cup finals even when in a slump by their standards, and who are operating in a different stratosphere to us. That he's worked there before and enjoyed his time there and is a lifelong fan of the club are additional reasons, not the main one. Any manager worth their salt who had done well here and got offered the United job would take it.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 13:18 - May 15 with 846 views_clive_baker_

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 13:03 - May 15 by FrimleyBlue

Ultimately imo to gain the required experience to manage a side as big as man utd.

It's a massive leap, as I listed in regards to fan expectations, media etc. Not only that, but you've got players there that said he coached like a school teacher so he's got issues the moment he walks in the door.

There's lots he hasn't had to deal with yet, a run of losses, media asking tough questions, players with big ego's and being managed.

He's got a very unique club set up with town, it's high risk to jump for the complete unknown in a very very difficult league.

im with you though, I think it will end with southgate.

I respect your opinion, I just really struggle with the idea that such a talented and ambitious manager who has coached in some of the best environments in Europe, with some of the best players to have ever played the game, been through his studies, travelled globally to enhance his experience and development etc wouldn't jump at the chance to manage Manchester United if they came knocking. I would imagine he considers himself entirely equipped for that role. It might never present itself again, and IF they're keen on him I can't get on board with the idea that he wouldn't take it.

Lets agree to disagree. I don't think its a decision he'll be faced with anyway tbh.
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 13:21 - May 15 with 831 viewsChurchman

In my view it’s really simple. Manchester United have status and unlimited potential. Liverpiddle and Man City can win every trophy for the next ten years and they’ll never have the status and prestige of Man U. Only Real Madrid and Barcelona are in that bracket. They are the elite of the elite and because they are in a mess that makes them attractive beyond words.

My guess is that McKenna would crawl over glass and take a 50% pay cut to take that job. Who wouldn’t? So would Eddie Howe and just about everyone else. It’s how it is.

Personally, I don’t think they’ll call this time around.

As for Brighton, they have fully reached their potential. They are not going to win the PL and are are unlikely to exceed what they’ve already magnificently achieved. Why on earth would McKenna go there when the best he can do is match predecessors’ achievements? There’s nothing in it for him.

Now Aston Villa, Newcastle level, I can see the attraction but not Brighton or a West Ham who are likewise at the top of their potential.

If Man U don’t knock on the door, my guess is we will have him here for one more season. And it’s all just a guess. I’ve no idea. Very few do.
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 13:22 - May 15 with 813 viewsquirkie

I don't understand why Man Utd are not looking at Rooney, he is a legend there and he helped a side get out of the Championship this season.
[Post edited 15 May 13:23]

Poll: How long will we be in League One/League Two from next season?

Come on for goodness sake on 13:22 - May 15 with 813 viewstractorboy1978

Come on for goodness sake on 12:56 - May 15 by FrimleyBlue

Re your first sentence, if people genuinely think he wouldn't take the Man Utd job, they are going to be seriously upset with him when he does (if offered it). It's not even a debate, he would walk there. And if he did, we'd have to be happy for him and move on as a Premier League club.
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 13:26 - May 15 with 775 viewsPhilTWTD

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 09:58 - May 15 by FrimleyBlue

Genuine question... Does a manager actually have representatives? I'd also thought the managers wouldn't have one.

Kieran's was with him at Villa the other night, Frank Trimboli.
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 13:29 - May 15 with 729 viewsMookamoo

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 12:57 - May 15 by _clive_baker_

Has to be Southgate doesn't it.
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 13:31 - May 15 with 716 viewsFrimleyBlue

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 13:26 - May 15 by PhilTWTD

Kieran's was with him at Villa the other night, Frank Trimboli.

So he's after the Liverpool job then.........

Waka waka eh eh

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 13:31 - May 15 with 722 viewsJ2BLUE

We all know how thorough McKenna is. It wouldn't surprise me at all if these links were all paper talk and he's and he's just taking in a few games before the end of the season just to observe Prem teams/scout players.

It really wouldn't surprise me if he's at Old Trafford tonight or at Leeds, Southampton or a Premier League game when those matches take place over the next few days.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Come on for goodness sake on 13:32 - May 15 with 696 viewsRyorry

Come on for goodness sake on 13:22 - May 15 by tractorboy1978

Re your first sentence, if people genuinely think he wouldn't take the Man Utd job, they are going to be seriously upset with him when he does (if offered it). It's not even a debate, he would walk there. And if he did, we'd have to be happy for him and move on as a Premier League club.

Re your first sentence - no, that doesn’t necessarily follow.

Poll: Time of the annunciation

Come on for goodness sake on 13:32 - May 15 with 691 viewsFrimleyBlue

Come on for goodness sake on 13:22 - May 15 by tractorboy1978

That's the thing though

"It's not even a debate, he would walk there"

It is a debate, unless you are KM or he has spoken to you directly.

We can all presume either side of it all we like, but just as we can't say he won't, you can't say he would.

Waka waka eh eh

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024