Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Squad we finished the season with & a prediction beyond 30th June... 10:19 - May 15 with 1211 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

Squad we finished the season with:

Walton Slicker Hladky
Clarke Davis Ball Tuanzebe Humphreys Williams*
Edmundson Woolfenden Burgess
Morsy Taylor Luongo Travis
Burns Chaplin Harness Jackson Omari Sarmiento Broadhead
Al-Hamadi Moore Hirst
*Unsure if Williams was actually registered for the second half of the season.

Contracted beyond the 30th June:
Walton* Slicker
Clarke Davis Tuanzebe*
Edmundson Woolfenden Burgess* Baggott
Morsy Taylor Luongo Humphreys
Burns Chaplin Harness Broadhead
Ladapo, Al-Hamadi Hirst
*Club hold the option to trigger an extra year which I expect them to do so.

With options taken up, leaves a squad number of 20 (or 21 if Hladky signs a new deal).

And a little prediction for the retained list and movements in the summer...

Released: Ball, Donacien, Jackson, Camara, Aluko (retired)

Back to parent club: Williams (Man Utd), Travis (Blackburn), Omari (Chelsea – but we will try to re-sign either permanently or on loan), Sarmiento (Brighton), Moore (Bournemouth)

Available for loan: Slicker (unless he needs to be registered?), Baggott, Humphreys, Al-Hamadi (be really good for him to get regular football again) and El Mizouni

Available for transfer: Walton, Ladapo, Harness, Ahadme and I think Edmundson will have strong Championship interest and could look for regular game time.

So possibly 6 let go and 8-10 loaned out or moved on permanently leaving us looking at needing a minimum of 10 new signings for me.
[Post edited 15 May 10:19]

Poll: If selling Jackson meant getting in a wide man, would you be happy with Garbutt?

Squad we finished the season with & a prediction beyond 30th June... on 10:58 - May 15 with 1121 viewsGuthrum

I think Hladky may well be re-signed and Jackson retained, possibly also Harness. For the latter two (and maybe a couple of the suggested loans) we need to keep some squad players - can't lay out too much of the budget on replacing them if we want to spend on improving quality at the same time.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Squad we finished the season with & a prediction beyond 30th June... on 11:07 - May 15 with 1104 viewswrightsrightglove

From this squad:
Hladky Walton* Slicker
Clarke Davis Tuanzebe*
Ladapo, Al-Hamadi Hirst

To something like this:
Plus 1, Hladky Slicker (new first choice GK)
Plus 2, Clarke Davis (new first choice rb, backup lb)
Plus 1, Tuanzebe Woolfenden Burgess
Plus 2, Morsy Taylor Luongo (Morsy eventual replacement, Luongo eventual replacement)
Plus 3, Burns Chaplin Broadhead (hutch hopefully, Sarmiento or alternative, one more)
Plus 1, Al-Hamadi Hirst (new first choice striker with prem experience)
Squad we finished the season with & a prediction beyond 30th June... on 11:13 - May 15 with 1087 viewsHighgateBlue

What we of course don't know is whether there will be any bids for any of our players that may be tempting in the context of needing to evolve and improve for the Prem.

For example, there won't be many people saying we should jettison the likes of Woolfie or Burgess from the squad, but they are young enough to still have a value, and there will be clubs in the Champ who still have parachute payments which will be large enough to put in 7 figure bids if they are that way inclined.

So there is a category of player who might be prised from our hands rather than who we are actively trying to move on in order to facilitate an upgrade.
Squad we finished the season with & a prediction beyond 30th June... on 12:06 - May 15 with 1033 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

Squad we finished the season with & a prediction beyond 30th June... on 10:58 - May 15 by Guthrum

I think Hladky may well be re-signed and Jackson retained, possibly also Harness. For the latter two (and maybe a couple of the suggested loans) we need to keep some squad players - can't lay out too much of the budget on replacing them if we want to spend on improving quality at the same time.

I think Hladky will stay too - but I wouldn't be surprised if it's only a one year contract.

Jackson I think will go. Again, I wouldn't be totally shocked if he was retained, but I think now is a good time for him to move on plus we have a 25 man squad to adhere to - does he take a spot in the Premier League?

I think some of those squad players from this season (Ball, Harness, Jackson etc) will move on and replacing their spot on the bench will probably be the likes of Luongo, Broadhead etc.

I think if we are to kick on and carry on progressing, sadly it'll mean a couple of the existing 11 will need to make way. At the end of the day, we are going to be a Premier League club and we will need Premier League quality. McKenna is a genius but the players need to be good enough because the difference between the Prem & Championship compared to the Championship & League 1 is a massive step up.

Poll: If selling Jackson meant getting in a wide man, would you be happy with Garbutt?

Squad we finished the season with & a prediction beyond 30th June... on 12:21 - May 15 with 987 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

Squad we finished the season with & a prediction beyond 30th June... on 11:07 - May 15 by wrightsrightglove

From this squad:
Hladky Walton* Slicker
Clarke Davis Tuanzebe*
Ladapo, Al-Hamadi Hirst

To something like this:
Plus 1, Hladky Slicker (new first choice GK)
Plus 2, Clarke Davis (new first choice rb, backup lb)
Plus 1, Tuanzebe Woolfenden Burgess
Plus 2, Morsy Taylor Luongo (Morsy eventual replacement, Luongo eventual replacement)
Plus 3, Burns Chaplin Broadhead (hutch hopefully, Sarmiento or alternative, one more)
Plus 1, Al-Hamadi Hirst (new first choice striker with prem experience)

I agree numbers wise and with most of those areas for improvement.

I think a new goalkeeper will sign with Walton departing. The new goalkeeper maybe someone who's a young keeper who's got Championship experience and is good with his feet, but I do think Hladky (if he stays) will start the season and stay in on merit.

Tuanzebe to start with Clarke as back up. I'm happy in this area - minutes will be shared.

Woolfenden and Burgess will probably get the nod and a chance to show they can step up, but I think we will definitely sign one, probably two centre backs. I'd like Callum Doyle, Mengi at Luton or Taylor Harwood-Bellis. Then an experienced head too - maybe James Tomkins?

A back up to Davis will be tricky, knowing they won't play much. I've got a feeling we might go down the project/long term replacement route here. Possibly someone like Harrison Burrows to sign from Peterboorugh and then loan out to the Championship to develop.

Morsy will start. Getting legs next to him will be key now as we have less of the ball. Downes a strong possibility. Sheaf a strong possibility. Wouldn't surprise me if we look abroad though or in the loan market.

Burns will start the season but needs competition. Chaplin will have an important role but I don't think it'll be as nailed on as he was this season. I think we need a bit of experience in that role - Ross Barkley maybe?

Praying Hutchinson returns as the 1 v 1 outlet will be needed and he's brilliant.

A new number 9 is going to be big though. Might cost us a bit too as this won't come cheap. It'll be interesting to see what we do as I think we need two. One I'd definitely sign is Liam Delap as I think he's got the tools to work under McKenna. The other though will need a bit of experience about him.

Squad we finished the season with & a prediction beyond 30th June... on 17:19 - May 15 with 805 viewsrickw

I think we all pretty much agree on what positions we need.
With Left Back we perhaps want a full back who is comfortable playing either side like Brandon Williams - however not like him!

GK - Rushworth seems like a good shout if Brighton would sell him
DCL - I think Mings is unlikely but he'd provide Prem experience and maybe could be cover for Davis, I know it's been years since he played left back but... More likely Greaves from Hull
CM - Downes or Sheaf
LAM not sure on this one, Jack Clarke, Philogene, Szmodics?
R/CAM - Have to try to get Hutchison back
CF I did like Latte Lath, he looked athletic and good in the air plus a goal threat

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Squad we finished the season with & a prediction beyond 30th June... on 07:49 - May 16 with 646 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

Squad we finished the season with & a prediction beyond 30th June... on 17:19 - May 15 by rickw

I think we all pretty much agree on what positions we need.
With Left Back we perhaps want a full back who is comfortable playing either side like Brandon Williams - however not like him!

GK - Rushworth seems like a good shout if Brighton would sell him
DCL - I think Mings is unlikely but he'd provide Prem experience and maybe could be cover for Davis, I know it's been years since he played left back but... More likely Greaves from Hull
CM - Downes or Sheaf
LAM not sure on this one, Jack Clarke, Philogene, Szmodics?
R/CAM - Have to try to get Hutchison back
CF I did like Latte Lath, he looked athletic and good in the air plus a goal threat

I definitely think Philogene is one we will revisit. Probably more as an Omari alternative as he will be the priority.

Szmodics scores goals and is in his peak. At the end of the day, it's how much we are willing to pay for those goals. He might be unproven at Prem level, but he brings more to the table than just goals.

Squad we finished the season with & a prediction beyond 30th June... on 08:49 - May 16 with 591 viewsBondiBlue

Squad we finished the season with & a prediction beyond 30th June... on 12:21 - May 15 by IPSWICHFANITFC

I agree numbers wise and with most of those areas for improvement.

I think a new goalkeeper will sign with Walton departing. The new goalkeeper maybe someone who's a young keeper who's got Championship experience and is good with his feet, but I do think Hladky (if he stays) will start the season and stay in on merit.

Tuanzebe to start with Clarke as back up. I'm happy in this area - minutes will be shared.

Woolfenden and Burgess will probably get the nod and a chance to show they can step up, but I think we will definitely sign one, probably two centre backs. I'd like Callum Doyle, Mengi at Luton or Taylor Harwood-Bellis. Then an experienced head too - maybe James Tomkins?

A back up to Davis will be tricky, knowing they won't play much. I've got a feeling we might go down the project/long term replacement route here. Possibly someone like Harrison Burrows to sign from Peterboorugh and then loan out to the Championship to develop.

Morsy will start. Getting legs next to him will be key now as we have less of the ball. Downes a strong possibility. Sheaf a strong possibility. Wouldn't surprise me if we look abroad though or in the loan market.

Burns will start the season but needs competition. Chaplin will have an important role but I don't think it'll be as nailed on as he was this season. I think we need a bit of experience in that role - Ross Barkley maybe?

Praying Hutchinson returns as the 1 v 1 outlet will be needed and he's brilliant.

A new number 9 is going to be big though. Might cost us a bit too as this won't come cheap. It'll be interesting to see what we do as I think we need two. One I'd definitely sign is Liam Delap as I think he's got the tools to work under McKenna. The other though will need a bit of experience about him.

If hirst isn't at least our second choice striker i'll be gobsmacked - mckenna clearly rates him. Agree about the experienced CB but wouldn't buy two. Tuanzebe is more a centre back than a rught back and i wouldn't be surprised if he eventually displaces woolfenden after a full pre-season and if woolf doesn't kick on (again).

Poll: Which would you accept?

Login to get fewer ads

Squad we finished the season with & a prediction beyond 30th June... on 09:29 - May 16 with 546 viewsrickw

I think 10 new signings is too many, that much change rarely works when coming up to the PL - look at Forest, Villa or go back to QPR. The most important thing is to keep our team spirit and togetherness as that momentum is our best chance to get off to a decent start.

I would limit it to a max of 5 new first team signings, Hutchison wouldn't count as a new player as he's already been part of the squad. A couple more can the be made in January, as you never know which players will surprise you (Hladky last season) and which won't make the step up

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Squad we finished the season with & a prediction beyond 30th June... on 10:08 - May 16 with 508 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

Squad we finished the season with & a prediction beyond 30th June... on 08:49 - May 16 by BondiBlue

If hirst isn't at least our second choice striker i'll be gobsmacked - mckenna clearly rates him. Agree about the experienced CB but wouldn't buy two. Tuanzebe is more a centre back than a rught back and i wouldn't be surprised if he eventually displaces woolfenden after a full pre-season and if woolf doesn't kick on (again).

What do you mean if Woolfenden doesn't kick on again? He was one of the best centre backs in the league last season.

Squad we finished the season with & a prediction beyond 30th June... on 14:39 - May 16 with 384 viewsVegtablue

Squad we finished the season with & a prediction beyond 30th June... on 10:08 - May 16 by IPSWICHFANITFC

What do you mean if Woolfenden doesn't kick on again? He was one of the best centre backs in the league last season.

FotMob rated him 20th in the league last season, WhoScored 26th. Burgess was rated 8th and 9th respectively. Probably over 70 CBs will have picked up meaningful minutes, so to be ranked in the top half of first choice players is no mean feat. Where his scoring is most held back is in the quantity and success rate of duels, aerially and on the ground, compared to those CBs above him in the ratings. As the defender who stays back for set-pieces, on account of Burgess's physicality, he also misses out on this uplift for attacking contribution. And our style of play lent itself to less involvement on the ball than was racked up by CBs of more ponderous sides. But it was in defensive actions (tackles, duels, blocks, interceptions) that the league's best CBs were simply busier and more effective.

The above isn't an attempt to denigrate the very positive season he's had, but I predict one or two new CBs in the summer and Woolf to drop into the Fridge role for a period.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024