Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ipswich Town is famous for being a decent, friendly club 11:25 - May 17 with 1460 viewsAsa

Ashton has done so much great work in the local community, I thought perhaps the good folk of TWTD could come together and help those just outside of that range, especially our good friends struggling in Norfolk.

For many years we have been told that history doesn't count. Having been Champions of England, UEFA Cup winners, FA Cup winners, it doesn't matter. It is in the past. Unless of course it's 1993 and it's the best team you ever had (one that matched Town's fifth greatest feat, which we managed several times) and a win against the worst Bayern Munich side statistically in the previous 70 years or so. Then of course it counts.

But Norwich need not worry about that. Because a lot of us would have begrudgingly agreed that the here and now counts too. But oops. We seem to have found ourselves a bloody division higher didn't we. So I guess the here and now can't be a true indicator of success after all. Because they'd have to concede we are better now AND better historically.

So I guess we can at least give them the small award of having better attendances and a bigger stadium and all that. But hang on. We seem to have overtaken them there too. The stadium is of course bigger. But somehow, with a Town smaller in population than their City we now seem to be getting bigger crowds too. With sell outs next year that can only continue. Oh well. For a while when we were better than them currently and previously at least they had crowds.

So help me out here. I'm struggling. All that REALLY matters in football is not the now or the past but the very specific head to head fixtures over a period of time, carefully selected, when your team had a £400m advantage from multiple Premier League promotions which was ultimately frittered away with nothing at all to show for it apart from a much older, weaker squad.

So come on. Help them out. They need our support. We've got head to head record (you know the sort of thing that means that ultimately Cheltenham are better than us and that we are better than Real Madrid. That's how it works right? That's what matters.

They also have more social media followers. But to be honest we all know the moment we step into the Premier League we will overtake them too with all the new Town fans from across the globe.

So what can we give them?

- Higher mustard production?
- More celebrity chefs on the board?
- More incoherent drunken ramblings during half time speeches?

I'm struggling now. There must be something. After all they are The Pride of Anglia don't you know.
Ipswich Town is famous for being a decent, friendly club on 11:31 - May 17 with 1387 viewsDyland

Usually I’d decry such schadenfreude but this season has given so much and the hope has killed for so long, fook it and fook Nodge and yes to everything you sing here dear boy.

COYFB

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Ipswich Town is famous for being a decent, friendly club on 11:35 - May 17 with 1348 viewsAsa

Ipswich Town is famous for being a decent, friendly club on 11:31 - May 17 by Dyland

Usually I’d decry such schadenfreude but this season has given so much and the hope has killed for so long, fook it and fook Nodge and yes to everything you sing here dear boy.

COYFB

On a far more serious note, I hope they get limited fees in the market for Sara, Sargeant and Rowe, the only remotely decent players that they have and then fall into obscurity finally.

They've had their time. How many times have they fluked a promotion (Middlesbrough's bus being late to Wembley) or a player sale has saved them (Maddison) when they've been close to financial ruin.

It's about time they went back to being a lower half Championship team, with limited talent, watched by 17,000, who dream of being as big as their rivals.
Ipswich Town is famous for being a decent, friendly club on 11:57 - May 17 with 1278 viewsSwansea_Blue

I think they are the only one of us to have three strips composed of the same colours. They might be the only team in the football pyramid to have managed that.
[Post edited 17 May 12:09]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Ipswich Town is famous for being a decent, friendly club on 12:00 - May 17 with 1242 viewsMattinLondon

Ipswich Town is famous for being a decent, friendly club on 11:35 - May 17 by Asa

On a far more serious note, I hope they get limited fees in the market for Sara, Sargeant and Rowe, the only remotely decent players that they have and then fall into obscurity finally.

They've had their time. How many times have they fluked a promotion (Middlesbrough's bus being late to Wembley) or a player sale has saved them (Maddison) when they've been close to financial ruin.

It's about time they went back to being a lower half Championship team, with limited talent, watched by 17,000, who dream of being as big as their rivals.

To be fair they haven’t really fluked player sales. They invested in good youth facilities as well as a good scouting system and targeted young players with potential. Thankfully this is what we’ve been doing since Evans sold-up.
Ipswich Town is famous for being a decent, friendly club on 13:53 - May 17 with 986 viewsbsw72

Largest number of blood relatives per home fixture?
Ipswich Town is famous for being a decent, friendly club on 14:27 - May 17 with 912 viewsbournemouthblue

Ipswich Town is famous for being a decent, friendly club on 12:00 - May 17 by MattinLondon

To be fair they haven’t really fluked player sales. They invested in good youth facilities as well as a good scouting system and targeted young players with potential. Thankfully this is what we’ve been doing since Evans sold-up.

They have developed a system which has made them competitive in the Championship in the last 10 years with player sales bridging the missing parachute payments, certainly with Maddison any way

It remains to be seen if selling off their best talent this time around, gives them a cushion to rebuild and strengthen

A big part of that was Farke finding a gem in Pukki
[Post edited 17 May 14:28]

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Ipswich Town is famous for being a decent, friendly club on 14:37 - May 17 with 870 viewsMK1

Per head, they have more fingers and toes.
Ipswich Town is famous for being a decent, friendly club on 18:05 - May 17 with 698 viewsVic

I don’t think any of us can argue with the fact that for a few seasons they were a better run club than us. However, in all that time they didn’t win anything - other than promotion. The truth is that thier hall of fame is actually older than ours - a milk cup win and a couple of games in Europe that were longer ago than our most recent qualification into Europe.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Login to get fewer ads

Ipswich Town is famous for being a decent, friendly club on 18:37 - May 17 with 611 viewsArnieM

They’re sh 1 t

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Ipswich Town is famous for being a decent, friendly club on 20:15 - May 17 with 524 viewsCoastalblue

More German managers?

England WC winner playing for them (snigger, but it is true)

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Ipswich Town is famous for being a decent, friendly club on 20:23 - May 17 with 503 viewsfarkenhell

Ipswich Town is famous for being a decent, friendly club on 20:15 - May 17 by Coastalblue

More German managers?

England WC winner playing for them (snigger, but it is true)

Although he (Martin Peters) was at the very end of his career.
Ipswich Town is famous for being a decent, friendly club on 20:25 - May 17 with 498 viewsCoastalblue

Ipswich Town is famous for being a decent, friendly club on 20:23 - May 17 by farkenhell

Although he (Martin Peters) was at the very end of his career.

Oh absolutely, a shadow of the player he had been, but it's precisely the logic, or lack thereof that they apply to their claims.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024