Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brighton by no means an easy job ... 12:31 - May 19 with 1125 viewsBellevue_Blue

I don't agree with the few that are saying this is a sideways step, it is most definitely a chance for Kieran to jump up.

IF he does take it, he will of course strongly believe he has what it takes to take them forward but it is by no means the slam dunk stepping stone that many outside of our ITFC bubble are making it out to be.

- Brighton's minimum expectations are somewhere between 8th - 10th with the reality that they expect to be in Europe.
- Concerns around budgets? Would De Zerbi be leaving if he had been promised plenty of money? Likely no. Would they also not be targeting more of a big gun to cement their position in Europe?
- The existing playing squad have been pretty poor/ inconsistent by all accounts this season (16th in the form table since Christmas, only 5 more points than Burnley)
- Transfers very much dictated by others

As I say, definitely not a sideways step, it's a big jump from ITFC that he is more than capable of, however, I think it will prove to be a pretty tough job this season.
Brighton by no means an easy job ... on 12:35 - May 19 with 1066 viewsredrickstuhaart

It is sideways in many respects. Size of club, supporters, history, ceiling etc etc. The difference is that they are further along the journey than we are currently.

That means that going in there is potentially the route to demonstrating a safe pair of premier league hands, from which you progress to being a regular on the PL merry go round. That said, the only way for Brighton is probably staying at about the same level or drifting downwards a bit. An 11th place finish would be seen as failure, despite representing Brighton punching above their weight.
Brighton by no means an easy job ... on 12:37 - May 19 with 1061 viewsTrequartista

Don't think anyone is disputing Brighton's squad is currently a jump from ours, but you've got to look at the potential and ceiling of a club and the investment behind it, and I think we compare favourably, probably more potential and bigger pockets if anything.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Brighton by no means an easy job ... on 12:38 - May 19 with 1040 viewsSharkey

In mitigation, they DID play eight games in Europe and did pretty well for a first go at it, so I am sure it has been a memorable season for a lot of Brighton fans. Compare them with Union Berlin, for example.
Brighton by no means an easy job ... on 12:50 - May 19 with 962 viewstractorboy1978

Brighton by no means an easy job ... on 12:37 - May 19 by Trequartista

Don't think anyone is disputing Brighton's squad is currently a jump from ours, but you've got to look at the potential and ceiling of a club and the investment behind it, and I think we compare favourably, probably more potential and bigger pockets if anything.

Our ceiling is pretty much where Brighton are now though. If you offered the owners a mid-table Premier League team that occasionally flirts with/gets into Europe then they would snap your hand off.

That said, I think it's all pretty fluid below the top 8 (I'd include Villa/Newcastle in there now) and you are only ever a couple of bad transfer windows away from disaster.
Brighton by no means an easy job ... on 12:54 - May 19 with 942 viewsBellevue_Blue

Brighton by no means an easy job ... on 12:37 - May 19 by Trequartista

Yeah, I think what youv've mentioned there is ultimately what Kieran needs to weigh up.

Does he want to be the man who takes the risk on a club behind in footballing terms, but one with all the potential to follow a similar journey and then jump to a big club. Or does he feel more comfortable working within a better footballing structure, gambling on his ability to combat those factors I mentioned, establishing himself in the Premier League and then jumping.

Really interesting conundrum but as I said before, I certainly do not think Brighton is a particularly easy job this season.
Brighton by no means an easy job ... on 12:59 - May 19 with 909 viewsTrequartista

Brighton by no means an easy job ... on 12:50 - May 19 by tractorboy1978

Our ceiling is pretty much where Brighton are now though. If you offered the owners a mid-table Premier League team that occasionally flirts with/gets into Europe then they would snap your hand off.

That said, I think it's all pretty fluid below the top 8 (I'd include Villa/Newcastle in there now) and you are only ever a couple of bad transfer windows away from disaster.

Ceilings aren't exact sciences of course with the obvious example of Leicester in 2015/16, and there is no guarantee clubs like Brighton can stay in that position - I remember Stoke being the epitome of a mid-table Premier League club not long ago (9 seasons between 9th and 14th) and then boom they're now consistently a lower half of the table Championship club.
[Post edited 19 May 12:59]

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Brighton by no means an easy job ... on 13:20 - May 19 with 829 viewsScuzzer

Does anybody else feel as me that all this constant manager rumours is very disrespectful to our club? Its obvious that even though, through merit, we are Premier League we are still being seen as upstarts not worthy of having a manager of the quality of KmK.

Established 1968

Brighton by no means an easy job ... on 13:43 - May 19 with 743 viewsSitfcB

Brighton by no means an easy job ... on 13:20 - May 19 by Scuzzer

Does anybody else feel as me that all this constant manager rumours is very disrespectful to our club? Its obvious that even though, through merit, we are Premier League we are still being seen as upstarts not worthy of having a manager of the quality of KmK.

Happens with every club near enough?

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Login to get fewer ads

Brighton by no means an easy job ... on 13:54 - May 19 with 697 viewsBlueRaider

It's a sideways step, you could say Brighton are an established premier league club, but we'd have said the same of Leicester and Southampton 2 years ago.

Blog: Yellow Cards and Why They Bug Me

Brighton by no means an easy job ... on 13:56 - May 19 with 685 viewsbournemouthblue

Brighton by no means an easy job ... on 13:20 - May 19 by Scuzzer

We'll be covered like Luton have been this season so we will have to get used to it

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Brighton by no means an easy job ... on 14:33 - May 19 with 591 viewsdavblue

Brighton by no means an easy job ... on 13:54 - May 19 by BlueRaider

It's a sideways step, you could say Brighton are an established premier league club, but we'd have said the same of Leicester and Southampton 2 years ago.

They are light years ahead of us at this moment in time on the field and off it, anyone who thinks differently are only judging Brighton on their history and not what they currently are.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024