Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen 09:27 - May 21 with 34201 viewsitfcjoe

Rob Edwards seems to be the only name mentioned yet so presume there is something in that

If we want the most continuity I would be doing what it takes to get Michael Carrick out of Boro, he signed a new deal a week or so back and very bought into the project there but I really like him too. Very tough deal to do I imagine.

I think the Pl may be a step too far, but had we stayed down I'd have been all over Danny Rohl, he strikes me as the most McKenna like as a career coach, great experience and done a fantastic job at Sheff Weds, really impressive and seems to 'get it' judging by their fan base.

Also, another name not seen mentioned much is Steve Cooper, did really well in the mad house that is Nottingham Forest, great developer of young players and good PL experience.

I've seen a few say Graham Potter but he feels unrealistic when you see the jobs linked with, is still being paid an exorbitant amount by Chelsea so not sure we'd have the clout to attract him

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Farioli's odds have.... on 14:56 - May 21 with 2672 viewsGlasgowBlue

Farioli's odds have.... on 14:22 - May 21 by N2_Blue

You definitely stirred things up a bit after your commenst yesterday Phil. More people than not in my connections definitely were resigned to the fact he had gone to Brighton

It’s a fluid situation and Phil can only go by the information he is getting. Joe heard similar yesterday.

Good news or bad news, I’d rather Phil gave us some insight as to what the situation is at the time.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Farioli's odds have.... on 14:56 - May 21 with 2662 viewsFromReuserWithLove

Farioli's odds have.... on 14:51 - May 21 by PhilTWTD

Not intentionally and that was where I was as well. Not out of the woods by any means, but seems less probable than seemed to be the case yesterday, and even earlier this afternoon.

Things move fast.
Farioli's odds have.... on 14:59 - May 21 with 2596 viewsN2_Blue

Farioli's odds have.... on 14:51 - May 21 by PhilTWTD

Not intentionally and that was where I was as well. Not out of the woods by any means, but seems less probable than seemed to be the case yesterday, and even earlier this afternoon.

Are you able to divulge is if's on Mckenna's side or Brighton's? i.e. Brighton aren't actually going to take forward their interest or is it more Mckenna's represnetatives have said they're not interested based on what Brighton would offer.

Is the risk that Brighton re-think and change their approach especially if it's contsraints that have possibly put both DeZerbi and Mckenna off or have they addmitted they have a preferred candidate e.g Farioli (in which case we really need to hope they get their man!)

Just interested what changed so quickly overight?

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 15:00 - May 21 with 2574 viewsnodge_blue

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 14:18 - May 21 by nodge_blue

It was a metaphor rather than a statement. Get off your high horse.

I didn't mean to be rude there Stokie.

Ive been up since 4am, done a lot of travelling and got a cold coming on. Im just much more in the emotive side of this at the moment rather than someone looking at it with a spreadsheet in hand.

I just believe in fairies and good people doing good things sometimes rather than building careers and having agents pushing agendas.

No one mess with my fairy.
[Post edited 21 May 15:02]

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Farioli's odds have.... on 15:02 - May 21 with 2522 viewsN2_Blue

Farioli's odds have.... on 14:56 - May 21 by GlasgowBlue

It’s a fluid situation and Phil can only go by the information he is getting. Joe heard similar yesterday.

Good news or bad news, I’d rather Phil gave us some insight as to what the situation is at the time.

I'm well aware of that and don't need you to point that out to me, ta chap.

i didn't tell Phil not to share his thoughts. I'm just having a (pleasant) conversation and more making a point to Phil, that i'm sure he is very aware of, that many fans will cling to every word he says.

It was pretty seismic the reaction last night, to the point some people were expecing Mckennas departure to be announced today.

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 15:04 - May 21 with 2489 viewsPhilTWTD

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 14:34 - May 21 by Europablue

With all due respect, George Burley suffered a perfect storm that led to relegation and administration. That won't happen again.

That isn't really what I meant, wasn't referring to the circumstances, just how quickly a manager's stock can drop. George would have been seen as a potential contender for one of the bigger jobs at the point we finished fifth and never regained that standing.
Farioli's odds have.... on 15:10 - May 21 with 2361 viewsPhilTWTD

Farioli's odds have.... on 14:59 - May 21 by N2_Blue

Are you able to divulge is if's on Mckenna's side or Brighton's? i.e. Brighton aren't actually going to take forward their interest or is it more Mckenna's represnetatives have said they're not interested based on what Brighton would offer.

Is the risk that Brighton re-think and change their approach especially if it's contsraints that have possibly put both DeZerbi and Mckenna off or have they addmitted they have a preferred candidate e.g Farioli (in which case we really need to hope they get their man!)

Just interested what changed so quickly overight?

I don't know that Brighton have given up their interest and a lot of the info getting out yesterday was evidently coming from their direction. I think they were confident it would happen and I think you can read that between the lines of some of the national reports yesterday.

Ultimately, it will come down to Kieran and, as I said earlier, it's not like he desperately wants to leave here, quite the reverse.
Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 15:13 - May 21 with 2271 viewsZx1988

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 15:04 - May 21 by PhilTWTD

That isn't really what I meant, wasn't referring to the circumstances, just how quickly a manager's stock can drop. George would have been seen as a potential contender for one of the bigger jobs at the point we finished fifth and never regained that standing.

As I've mentioned in another thread, also Liam Manning to a lesser extent.

After his play-off finish with MK Dons he turned down offers from foreign clubs that had qualified for European competition, in order to stay at MK. A few months later he's back on the scrap heap, and ends up managing Oxford rather than Olympiacos.
[Post edited 21 May 15:15]

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Login to get fewer ads

Farioli's odds have.... on 15:15 - May 21 with 2233 viewsJ2BLUE

Farioli's odds have.... on 15:02 - May 21 by N2_Blue

I'm well aware of that and don't need you to point that out to me, ta chap.

i didn't tell Phil not to share his thoughts. I'm just having a (pleasant) conversation and more making a point to Phil, that i'm sure he is very aware of, that many fans will cling to every word he says.

It was pretty seismic the reaction last night, to the point some people were expecing Mckennas departure to be announced today.

Phil didn’t put a story up on the site. People asked. You’re continuing to ask so not sure what your point is.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Farioli's odds have.... on 15:15 - May 21 with 2229 viewsZx1988

Farioli's odds have.... on 15:10 - May 21 by PhilTWTD

I don't know that Brighton have given up their interest and a lot of the info getting out yesterday was evidently coming from their direction. I think they were confident it would happen and I think you can read that between the lines of some of the national reports yesterday.

Ultimately, it will come down to Kieran and, as I said earlier, it's not like he desperately wants to leave here, quite the reverse.

Your last paragraph...

Would it be incorrect to interpret that as KMc being incredibly keen to stay at ITFC, but expecting some sort of quid pro quo in respect of his ongoing loyalty?

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 15:16 - May 21 with 2214 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Potter would be the choice but I've heard he is likely getting the England job if Southgate goes.

You'd think we offer an ideal situation for him, few exlext us to stay up, will be well backed at a stable club, ideal place to build from but I'd be surprised.

Does Still now have the coaching badges he needs (is that even issue here) I know his last club got fined every match he managed.

I'd hope for something out of leftfield again, someone Scandinavian or something that isn't anywhere near the betting

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Farioli's odds have.... on 15:16 - May 21 with 2210 viewsN2_Blue

Farioli's odds have.... on 15:10 - May 21 by PhilTWTD

Cheers Phil, appreciate you're input and responses.

Mckenna not actually wanting to leave or having reached a ceiling is what I've always clinged too, Mckenna has something quite special here and there is still so much progress that can be made. It would be huge thing to turn your back on.

I'm not even 100% convinced he'd take Chelsea, although money would be huge to what he gets with us so guess would be an inevitable decision..United despite their current mess he'd take 100% and it still concerns me because I think ETH goes after the FA Cup final whatever the result. I just hope United go down the experience option and think it's too early for Mckenna.
[Post edited 21 May 15:19]

Farioli's odds have.... on 15:17 - May 21 with 2179 viewsN2_Blue

Farioli's odds have.... on 15:15 - May 21 by J2BLUE

Phil didn’t put a story up on the site. People asked. You’re continuing to ask so not sure what your point is.

I have no idea what you are getting at here?

Farioli's odds have.... on 15:20 - May 21 with 2125 viewsPhilTWTD

Farioli's odds have.... on 15:15 - May 21 by Zx1988

Your last paragraph...

Would it be incorrect to interpret that as KMc being incredibly keen to stay at ITFC, but expecting some sort of quid pro quo in respect of his ongoing loyalty?

He's evidently happy here, although obviously with ambitions. I think it would be remiss of his agents not to use interest from elsewhere for his benefit! And Town equally will be throwing everything they can at him to keep him here.
Farioli's odds have.... on 15:25 - May 21 with 1979 viewsZx1988

Farioli's odds have.... on 15:20 - May 21 by PhilTWTD

He's evidently happy here, although obviously with ambitions. I think it would be remiss of his agents not to use interest from elsewhere for his benefit! And Town equally will be throwing everything they can at him to keep him here.

Cheers Phil.

If a new deal were to be (part of) the net result of all this, do you reckon the various release conditions might be tightened up or strengthened somewhat? Perhaps an insanely high release clause, but with an exception for Manchester United or a certain calibre of club? I can't imagine that the club would want to go through all this sort of rigamarole whenever any of the decently-run mid-table sides ends up losing their manager.
[Post edited 21 May 15:26]

Farioli's odds have.... on 15:26 - May 21 with 1939 viewsbaxterbasics

Farioli's odds have.... on 15:20 - May 21 by PhilTWTD

It's hard to imagine though that the club hasn't already given KM anything he could reasonably ask for. Unless he really does just want an extra zero on his salary, but I would imagine he's not that mercenary.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Farioli's odds have.... on 15:36 - May 21 with 1731 viewspointofblue

Farioli's odds have.... on 15:26 - May 21 by baxterbasics

It's hard to imagine though that the club hasn't already given KM anything he could reasonably ask for. Unless he really does just want an extra zero on his salary, but I would imagine he's not that mercenary.

It could be a case of guarantees. At what point would his job here come under threat? Could we promise him the season, no matter what happens on the pitch?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Farioli's odds have.... on 15:41 - May 21 with 1649 viewsdirtyboy

Farioli's odds have.... on 15:26 - May 21 by baxterbasics

It's irrelevant if he's mercenary or not.

I was offered a job a long time back, was really happy where I was in terms of people, environment, but had a family and house to pay for and needed more cash. I'm not motivated by money, but I did need more.

I handed my notice in and the boss at that time lifted a book up, pulled out a folder and practically threw a new contract and ownership which was going to be offered to me in the management meeting that week.

Had it been a "no, wait, we can do this" i'd have still left, because I felt I was worth more and they'd have just been taking advantage, but it was obvious it'd all been drawn up for me. I then actually felt guilty lol but did end up staying.

Ultimately, my point is, McKenna must be paid what he's worth. If we had to pay more to replace him with uncertainty attached, then that needs to be factored in.

I believe the manager should be the highest paid person at any club, it's them on the line all the time.

He's all but guaranteed 1 year....even if we got relegated, he won't get sacked.

If we're bottom at Christmas...he won't get sacked. We all know that.

That's a year of security at top dollar and worth every penny on the chance that he could perform another miracle!
Farioli's odds have.... on 15:44 - May 21 with 1588 viewsPhilTWTD

Farioli's odds have.... on 15:25 - May 21 by Zx1988

Cheers Phil.

If a new deal were to be (part of) the net result of all this, do you reckon the various release conditions might be tightened up or strengthened somewhat? Perhaps an insanely high release clause, but with an exception for Manchester United or a certain calibre of club? I can't imagine that the club would want to go through all this sort of rigamarole whenever any of the decently-run mid-table sides ends up losing their manager.
[Post edited 21 May 15:26]

I would guess that Kieran's negotiating position is strong enough to prevent the club from naming its release clause price in that sense if a new deal is negotiated, which you would think might be an outcome from this situation if he stays.
Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 15:48 - May 21 with 1518 viewsyorkshireblue

New theory.... McKenna and Ashton are playing 4D chess.

Kmc went to have a look round Brighton's state of the art training ground to get ideas for Playford Road, and a gander at their analytics model and transfer targets for us to copy.

If suddenly Portman Road develops a 'feature; waterfall from the top of the Cobbold, we'll know he's done the same with Manchester United as well....
Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 15:49 - May 21 with 1500 viewsbluesbrothers

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 13:08 - May 21 by PhilTWTD

I think here there's a risk of relegation and putting his career path - with the ultimate aim getting a club like Man U or Chelsea - back a step or two. At Brighton, where they're established in the Premier League and with a well-set infrastructure at that level - someone said to me earlier that their analytics platform is as good as it gets - so the chance of performing to a level which might get him one of those big jobs is greater. That doesn't mean it's impossible with Town, of course.

Not sure people on here are aware of quite how shrewd Tony Bloom. Operates a huge betting syndicate which have insanely sharp data models - those same models and level of analysis are then utilised by Brighton (in a different way, of course). A club like Brighton has everything a manager like McKenna would want.

Worth doing some research on StarLizard if you get the time, fascinating world!
Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 15:57 - May 21 with 1381 viewstractorboy1978

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 15:49 - May 21 by bluesbrothers

Not sure people on here are aware of quite how shrewd Tony Bloom. Operates a huge betting syndicate which have insanely sharp data models - those same models and level of analysis are then utilised by Brighton (in a different way, of course). A club like Brighton has everything a manager like McKenna would want.

That's all true but McKenna has been very hands on with the recruitment here. You go through the signings and they have his stamp all over them. Largely from big academies, fully character checked/referenced, scouted to the nth agree, knows their strengths and weaknesses inside out and with a specific role in mind. I'd imagine it is more him than Ashton that has put the brakes on signing players from abroad (given MA's propensity for it at BC).

Does he want to have virtually no say in transfers? Was clearly a big issue for De Zerbi in the end.
[Post edited 21 May 15:57]
Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 16:02 - May 21 with 1311 viewsPhilTWTD

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 13:47 - May 21 by Parky

Fully get what you’re saying and know it won’t be an easy decision for McKenna, but the ‘established’ tag always annoys me. We start the season on the exact same amount of points as Brighton, ‘established’ teams are not guaranteed to do well.

I’ll put my neck on the line here and say the Brighton move just makes no sense to me, they’ve hit their ceiling, a selling club and McKenna would have no real say in transfers (believe that’s partly why De Zerbi left). He’s essentially built a club up here, even had a say in our training ground, he isn’t getting that at Brighton, a bad start and their fans would quickly turn.

Would obviously love him to stay and continue this journey he’s started, but if he wants to jump ship for Brighton before our journey has finished, then so be it. (FWIW, I’d have no qualms if he left for Chelsea or Man United, but I really don’t see the big appeal with Brighton.
[Post edited 21 May 13:55]

I know what you mean, you're established until you're suddenly not established. Charlton were an established Premier League club. However, Brighton are more established than Town are at present, have a squad and infrastructure which have been developed in the Premier League over a number of seasons.
Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 16:09 - May 21 with 1169 viewsN2_Blue

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 15:57 - May 21 by tractorboy1978

That's all true but McKenna has been very hands on with the recruitment here. You go through the signings and they have his stamp all over them. Largely from big academies, fully character checked/referenced, scouted to the nth agree, knows their strengths and weaknesses inside out and with a specific role in mind. I'd imagine it is more him than Ashton that has put the brakes on signing players from abroad (given MA's propensity for it at BC).

Does he want to have virtually no say in transfers? Was clearly a big issue for De Zerbi in the end.
[Post edited 21 May 15:57]

Spot on.

Brighton are leaders in may analytics driven pltforms but they don't give the manager 100% say on recruitment. That's quite a big deal. Clearly was for De Zerbi an can imagine would be the same for Mckenna.

I think Mckenna is big on in game and training performance anlytics for players he has on his books, but not so much as using them as solely a tool for recruitment. Analytics can't judge player character for instance which is a huge thing at Town.
[Post edited 21 May 16:14]

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 16:11 - May 21 with 1131 viewsdirtyboy

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 15:49 - May 21 by bluesbrothers

Mark Steed is also very much invested in data driven analytics, no idea what Ipswich use, but I know he's mentioned some type of involvement in this area, as in offering expertise.

We won't be at the forefront, but with a billion dollar operation behind us, you know they'll be leveraging all areas for marginal gains.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024