Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
General Election incoming? 12:20 - May 22 with 1252 viewsEJP

Unusual for the BBC to be quite so enthused about speculation ...

(and if true, cue many posts on McKenna's odds for being PM ...)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-69048696
General Election incoming? on 12:24 - May 22 with 1214 viewsLord_Lucan

I’m currently listening to professional idiot James O Brien and his guest is saying she expects an announcement today - before the weather gets too warm and the boats increase.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

General Election incoming? on 12:29 - May 22 with 1146 viewsEJP

General Election incoming? on 12:24 - May 22 by Lord_Lucan

I’m currently listening to professional idiot James O Brien and his guest is saying she expects an announcement today - before the weather gets too warm and the boats increase.

Sunak's just swerved a question on it at PMQs...
General Election incoming? on 12:33 - May 22 with 1098 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Would make sense, but can't see it happening to be honest.

Jeremy sounds like Hunt was interviewed this morning and seemed to accidentally let slip that they were planning tax cuts in the Autumn Budget.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

General Election incoming? on 12:49 - May 22 with 1021 viewsZx1988

General Election incoming? on 12:33 - May 22 by Cheltenham_Blue

Would make sense, but can't see it happening to be honest.

Jeremy sounds like Hunt was interviewed this morning and seemed to accidentally let slip that they were planning tax cuts in the Autumn Budget.

A potential change in strategy?

Given that the tax cuts to date have failed to produce any sort of fillip in Tory polling, could they be trailing a further Autumn tax cut as a reason to vote Tory in, say, July?

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

General Election incoming? on 12:51 - May 22 with 1002 viewsCheltenham_Blue

General Election incoming? on 12:49 - May 22 by Zx1988

Given that the tax cuts to date have failed to produce any sort of fillip in Tory polling, could they be trailing a further Autumn tax cut as a reason to vote Tory in, say, July?

Possibly.

If announced today it'll come this evening.

General Election incoming? on 12:51 - May 22 with 1002 viewsmo_itfc

Skybet has July 2024 as the favourite for the next general election.

The sooner the better. F### The Tories!

Poll: Now that The Athletic has an article, is this takeover actually happening?

General Election incoming? on 13:26 - May 22 with 818 viewsElderGrizzly

My first question would be what are they trying to bury today to try and get journalists fixating on an election date again?

No.10 not dismissing an announcement when asked this morning is all this is based on.

If Sunak is stupid/arrogant enough to campaign off the back of one set of inflation figures that he has no impact on (despite what he says), then let him go to the country.

They'll be annihilated
General Election incoming? on 13:29 - May 22 with 785 viewsGuthrum

Or get the election in before Sunak is overthrown by his own party?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

General Election incoming? on 13:31 - May 22 with 768 viewsBlueschev

General Election incoming? on 12:49 - May 22 by Zx1988

Why would anybody vote for a party promising to lower taxes, given the absolute state of public services in this country?
General Election incoming? on 13:43 - May 22 with 720 viewsZx1988

General Election incoming? on 13:31 - May 22 by Blueschev

Why would anybody vote for a party promising to lower taxes, given the absolute state of public services in this country?

Those seem to be the battle-lines they're trying to draw, though.

Tories as the party of tax cuts, versus Labour as the party of increasing taxes.

They don't care - it just gives them even more scope to argue for the privatisation of such services.

General Election incoming? on 14:23 - May 22 with 607 viewsZx1988

If, as speculated, an election is to be called today to take place during the Euros, I can almost see the sense in the timing.

Without over-generalising too much, a good chunk of the base of floating voters could have their attentions elsewhere. Similarly, depending on when within the Euros it is to happen, we could find any televised debates being up against live football in the completion for viewing figures.

Potentially a good way to hold an election whilst avoiding the usual levels of scrutiny.

General Election incoming? on 14:42 - May 22 with 535 viewsCheltenham_Blue

General Election incoming? on 13:31 - May 22 by Blueschev

Because generally speaking the electorate is a bit dense. They want the NHS to see them within a week, but they don't want to pay extra for all the Drs, Nurses and GPs it will take to enable that.

They want libraries, but don't want to pay additional council tax to stock and staff them, and so on and so on and so on.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024