Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So it official now the Brexiteers lied about British sovereignty 10:26 - Feb 3 with 2560 viewsNo9

Here is 2.1 of the 'Brexit White paper.

2.1 The sovereignty of Parliament is a fundamental principle of the UK constitution. Whilst Parliament has remained sovereign throughout our membership of the EU, it has not always felt like that. The extent of EU activity relevant to the UK can be demonstrated by the fact
that 1,056 EU-related documents were deposited for parliamentary scrutiny in 2016. These include proposals for EU Directives, Regulations, Decisions and Recommendations, as well as Commission delegated acts, and other documents such as Commission Communications, Reports and Opinions submitted to the Council, Court of Auditors Reports and more.

What should happen to politicians who tell these lies?
So it official now the Brexiteers lied about British sovereignty on 10:44 - Feb 3 with 2494 viewsbluelagos

Put their faces on the side of some big red buses?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

So it official now the Brexiteers lied about British sovereignty on 10:47 - Feb 3 with 2477 viewsDoobDude

I thought the supreme court judgement from last week proved that wasn't the case anyway.

And what happens to politicians who tell lies?
Don't know, what happens to bears that defecate in woods?

What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow? What do you mean? An African or European swallow? Huh? I... I don't know that ... Auuuuuuuugh.
Poll: Whi is getting sold to fund the Webster Signing

So it official now the Brexiteers lied about British sovereignty on 10:47 - Feb 3 with 2480 viewsGeoffSentence

GB raised a question yesterday about whether someone whose beliefs on homosexuality were wrong and whether he was therefore fit for office.

He was at least open and upfront about his views which in my eyes makes him more fit for office than the liars that we have in this country at the moment.

Democracy is threatened by lies as it it not possible to make an informed choice at the ballot box.

If I had my way those politicians who could be shown to lie would be given the boot.

Getting back to that statement, that second paragraph is most enlightening.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

So it official now the Brexiteers lied about British sovereignty on 10:47 - Feb 3 with 2463 viewsfactual_blue

Unfortunately they have forgotten to mention thart the total number of papers laid before Parliament in 2016 exceeded 15,000.

http://explore.data.parliament.uk/index.html?endpoint=endpoint/paperslaid
[Post edited 3 Feb 2017 10:49]

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

So it official now the Brexiteers lied about British sovereignty on 11:09 - Feb 3 with 2395 viewsfactual_blue

So it official now the Brexiteers lied about British sovereignty on 10:44 - Feb 3 by bluelagos

The buses are all being diverted because of roadworks associated with the colossal hospital building programme that started on 24 June 2016.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

So it official now the Brexiteers lied about British sovereignty on 11:14 - Feb 3 with 2381 viewsPinewoodblue

Lies are so 2016, surely you mean alternative facts.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

So it official now the Brexiteers lied about British sovereignty on 11:35 - Feb 3 with 2336 viewseireblue

Not entirely sure what should happen.

I think what tends to happen today is that they get promoted.
So it official now the Brexiteers lied about British sovereignty on 11:39 - Feb 3 with 2316 viewsNo9

So it official now the Brexiteers lied about British sovereignty on 10:44 - Feb 3 by bluelagos

Not only is the £350 Mn not going to come to the NHS, the evidence presently is that this government is en route to dismantle it.

Politicians can lie in parliament under the privelidge but once out side the house it means theare no longer protected (Farage never has been) does this mean the bloke from Norwich brining private prosecutions may have a strong & winnable case?
Login to get fewer ads

So it official now the Brexiteers lied about British sovereignty on 12:00 - Feb 3 with 2283 viewspickles110564

What about all the lies from the remoaners but don't let that get in the way of the facts.
So it official now the Brexiteers lied about British sovereignty on 12:05 - Feb 3 with 2265 viewsSwansea_Blue

So it official now the Brexiteers lied about British sovereignty on 12:00 - Feb 3 by pickles110564

What about all the lies from the remoaners but don't let that get in the way of the facts.

Which ones exactly? I know everyone got their knickers in a twist over the financial predictions. But you'd have prove they were deliberately deceiving for them to be considered lies. Maybe they were, maybe they weren't. We'll probably never know. In Osborne's case I just put it down to incompetence.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

So it official now the Brexiteers lied about British sovereignty on 12:27 - Feb 3 with 2183 viewsClapham_Junction

So it official now the Brexiteers lied about British sovereignty on 10:47 - Feb 3 by factual_blue

Unfortunately they have forgotten to mention thart the total number of papers laid before Parliament in 2016 exceeded 15,000.

http://explore.data.parliament.uk/index.html?endpoint=endpoint/paperslaid
[Post edited 3 Feb 2017 10:49]

I think we all know that providing context is almost as bad as using facts or meaningful data.
So it official now the Brexiteers lied about British sovereignty on 12:27 - Feb 3 with 2181 viewsWaterfootblue

So it official now the Brexiteers lied about British sovereignty on 12:05 - Feb 3 by Swansea_Blue

Which ones exactly? I know everyone got their knickers in a twist over the financial predictions. But you'd have prove they were deliberately deceiving for them to be considered lies. Maybe they were, maybe they weren't. We'll probably never know. In Osborne's case I just put it down to incompetence.

Why just Osborne's incompetence, the debate from both the leave and remain camps was incompetent, just shows the levels politics has sunk to.
So it official now the Brexiteers lied about British sovereignty on 13:22 - Feb 3 with 2088 viewseireblue

So it official now the Brexiteers lied about British sovereignty on 12:05 - Feb 3 by Swansea_Blue

I think that is fair.

Imagine their little faces when they discovered this.

"What, this parliament? The place where I have been working? It was sovereign all this time? Well I never! I wish someone that knew this kind of stuff, an expert if you will, would have mentioned it."
So it official now the Brexiteers lied about British sovereignty on 16:42 - Feb 3 with 1969 viewsbluejacko

You know does it really matter?
When will people let it go and actually get behind the fact we are leaving!
It will not make a jot of difference what is said on here or any where else for that matter.
So it official now the Brexiteers lied about British sovereignty on 17:32 - Feb 3 with 1912 viewsbournemouthblue

So it official now the Brexiteers lied about British sovereignty on 10:47 - Feb 3 by GeoffSentence

GB raised a question yesterday about whether someone whose beliefs on homosexuality were wrong and whether he was therefore fit for office.

He was at least open and upfront about his views which in my eyes makes him more fit for office than the liars that we have in this country at the moment.

Democracy is threatened by lies as it it not possible to make an informed choice at the ballot box.

If I had my way those politicians who could be shown to lie would be given the boot.

Getting back to that statement, that second paragraph is most enlightening.

If only we had some kind of regulator to keep them in check

The idea was mooted in some circles post referendum

I'd also like to see the media regulated whether that is news, fakes news on some where in between

The media manipulate stories to control the people and politicians for that matter

We are always told we have a free press but how free is it when you look who owns and controls them?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

So it official now the Brexiteers lied about British sovereignty on 17:35 - Feb 3 with 1907 viewsOxfordTH_1981

What is the lie?

What they say is true.

Parliament is technically sovereign because - as we have just showed - we can vote to repeal the 1972 Act and leave the EU.

But on a day to day basis, Parliament has accepted the supremacy of EU Law.
So it official now the Brexiteers lied about British sovereignty on 18:23 - Feb 3 with 1874 viewsbournemouthblue

So it official now the Brexiteers lied about British sovereignty on 17:35 - Feb 3 by OxfordTH_1981

What is the lie?

What they say is true.

Parliament is technically sovereign because - as we have just showed - we can vote to repeal the 1972 Act and leave the EU.

It's almost like they scapegoat the EU for many of the problems they cause themselves

And for that reason I welcome Brexit, it will force more moaning the government's way when they feck things up

So it official now the Brexiteers lied about British sovereignty on 19:00 - Feb 3 with 1835 viewsNo9

So it official now the Brexiteers lied about British sovereignty on 17:35 - Feb 3 by OxfordTH_1981

What is the lie?

What they say is true.

'But on a day to day basis, Parliament has accepted the supremacy of EU Law.'

No it hasn't, that is the real issue here.
The two main issues as put u by the leave campaign don;t stand scrutiny

The predictions on what might happen made by the remain campaign cannot yet be judged because we haven't even triggered the necessary documents. There will then be at least two years before the cut off.

Already the government arepanicing because they are so far behind.
So it official now the Brexiteers lied about British sovereignty on 08:09 - Feb 4 with 1733 viewsNo9

So it official now the Brexiteers lied about British sovereignty on 17:32 - Feb 3 by bournemouthblue

If only we had some kind of regulator to keep them in check

The idea was mooted in some circles post referendum

I'd also like to see the media regulated whether that is news, fakes news on some where in between

The media manipulate stories to control the people and politicians for that matter

We are always told we have a free press but how free is it when you look who owns and controls them?

I am still waiting to see what the BBC says about this sovereignty bit in the White Paper - I have so far found nothing

In taht case, in response to your 4th para, is the BBC being manipulated by the tories?
So it official now the Brexiteers lied about British sovereignty on 08:32 - Feb 4 with 1698 viewssparks

So it official now the Brexiteers lied about British sovereignty on 08:09 - Feb 4 by No9

I am still waiting to see what the BBC says about this sovereignty bit in the White Paper - I have so far found nothing

In taht case, in response to your 4th para, is the BBC being manipulated by the tories?

Nope. It's just a non -point amidst so many more valid ones to be discussed.

As members we did indeed, to all ntents and purposes, cede control to the EU in a number Iif respects.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

So it official now the Brexiteers lied about British sovereignty on 08:35 - Feb 4 with 1683 viewsbournemouthblue

So it official now the Brexiteers lied about British sovereignty on 08:09 - Feb 4 by No9

The BBC seem to have a particulately right wing core of decision makers in the News department now

Andrew Neal is chairman of the company who own the Telegraph as am example

I do wonder if the BBC is becoming more Tory so to speak because the Tories are in power and they need to be on their side for potential funding.

The Tories wanted to setup a board with 6 of the 13 board members being Tory?

So it official now the Brexiteers lied about British sovereignty on 10:04 - Feb 4 with 1639 viewsNo9

So it official now the Brexiteers lied about British sovereignty on 08:35 - Feb 4 by bournemouthblue

The BBC seem to have a particulately right wing core of decision makers in the News department now

Andrew Neal is chairman of the company who own the Telegraph as am example

I do wonder if the BBC is becoming more Tory so to speak because the Tories are in power and they need to be on their side for potential funding.

The Tories wanted to setup a board with 6 of the 13 board members being Tory?

It is of concern, however we should expect that any public broadcasting service would support the governemnt of the day.
Presently there s a lot of news relative to what is going on in the world that the BBC are either ignoring or reporting so briefly it gets missed. And their political department seems adept at avoidnign stories thatmay do the tories damage.

The story I posted about the Public Accounts Committee & MHMRC not taxing the rich enough are a good example

Another example of apparent bias is the reporting of the EU Malta conference where the BBC reports ddon't align very well with those from other news agencies - the BBC seems to have been at different meetingg?
So it official now the Brexiteers lied about British sovereignty on 11:15 - Feb 4 with 1602 viewssparks

So it official now the Brexiteers lied about British sovereignty on 10:04 - Feb 4 by No9

It is of concern, however we should expect that any public broadcasting service would support the governemnt of the day.
Presently there s a lot of news relative to what is going on in the world that the BBC are either ignoring or reporting so briefly it gets missed. And their political department seems adept at avoidnign stories thatmay do the tories damage.

The story I posted about the Public Accounts Committee & MHMRC not taxing the rich enough are a good example

Another example of apparent bias is the reporting of the EU Malta conference where the BBC reports ddon't align very well with those from other news agencies - the BBC seems to have been at different meetingg?

What utter bobbins.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

So it official now the Brexiteers lied about British sovereignty on 14:46 - Feb 4 with 1528 viewsbaxterbasics

So it official now the Brexiteers lied about British sovereignty on 18:23 - Feb 3 by bournemouthblue

It's almost like they scapegoat the EU for many of the problems they cause themselves

And for that reason I welcome Brexit, it will force more moaning the government's way when they feck things up

I agree with this.

Of course parliament is sovereign, I knew this as a Brexit voter as do most politically-minded folks. This is not a big revelation.

But they were choosing via act and treaty to delegate large portions of policy making to an un-elected supranational body and a lot of us just felt that was not in our interests.

Maybe this is why so many MPs were against Brexit - it's going to be harder to pass the buck!

I have the same issue with they way devolution has been handled, particularly in Scotland - more layers of government means it is harder for Johnny voter to know who to blame and who to hold to account.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024