Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
McCarthys future at ITFC. 08:22 - Feb 5 with 6038 viewsphillev231069

After yesterday's performance and just for argument's sake if things were to improve performance wise week on week do you think he would forfill his contract and fans could be turned back onto his side or have things already gone to far? Subjective question I know and we may be woeful in our next game who knows? But with a decent run and fingers crossed no injuries could he do it?
McCarthys future at ITFC. on 08:26 - Feb 5 with 4029 viewsReuser_is_God

If we played like that on a consistent basis between now & May then I'd be more than happy for Mick to be our manager next season.

Based on this seasons inconsistency though that's a massive if.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

McCarthys future at ITFC. on 08:27 - Feb 5 with 4018 viewsPinewoodblue

Injuries can be beneficial, who would have considered Mick replacing Skuse with Ward when Dougie was available?

sometimes it rakes an injury to change things.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

McCarthys future at ITFC. on 08:28 - Feb 5 with 3999 viewsReuser_is_God

McCarthys future at ITFC. on 08:27 - Feb 5 by Pinewoodblue

Injuries can be beneficial, who would have considered Mick replacing Skuse with Ward when Dougie was available?

sometimes it rakes an injury to change things.

We didn't miss Skuse one bit when he went off.

Evans out

McCarthys future at ITFC. on 08:40 - Feb 5 with 3943 viewsRonFearonsHair

McCarthys future at ITFC. on 08:28 - Feb 5 by Reuser_is_God

Hmm... I'm not sure Mick would see it like that. Both of the Reading goals, particularly the second, seemed to be scored from 'Skuse territory'.
McCarthys future at ITFC. on 08:47 - Feb 5 with 3903 viewsPJH

McCarthys future at ITFC. on 08:40 - Feb 5 by RonFearonsHair

Hmm... I'm not sure Mick would see it like that. Both of the Reading goals, particularly the second, seemed to be scored from 'Skuse territory'.

That is what I thought.
We looked very good going forward but had nobody breaking up play when they went forward.
Agreement about Skuse will never be reached on here because those that do not rate him will not be changing their minds just as those of us that do will not be changing our minds.
Let's maybe agree that we all(or nearly all)want performances like yesterday's to be the norm again and that we climb the league.

As for MM,I have never stopped hoping/wishing/wanting him to be here next season.
McCarthys future at ITFC. on 08:49 - Feb 5 with 3884 viewsReuser_is_God

So was Derby 1st goal Tuesday night.

The 2nd Reading goal wasn't Skuse territory at all, he'd have been in box defdending inital delivery.

Evans out

McCarthys future at ITFC. on 08:50 - Feb 5 with 3882 viewsjas0999

Three months until the end of the season. Around 14 months of stagnation, poor quality football and average results. For me, his time is up. The loanees helped change things yesterday, it's back to square one in the summer. Great yesterday, but it's only one game. Let's see how the next four games go.
McCarthys future at ITFC. on 08:58 - Feb 5 with 3823 viewsMullet

McCarthys future at ITFC. on 08:50 - Feb 5 by jas0999

Three months until the end of the season. Around 14 months of stagnation, poor quality football and average results. For me, his time is up. The loanees helped change things yesterday, it's back to square one in the summer. Great yesterday, but it's only one game. Let's see how the next four games go.

How is it possibly 14 months of stagnation? Given we finished where last season?

If you're judging Mick on results, then you can only rely on this season. At best we're talking 5 months of inconsistency, bad luck, poor results, lack of resources and all sorts else.

That's after nearly 4 seasons of positivity for anyone looking. Whenever we have had decent results or performances this season too many people are happy to put them in the "one off" pile but created a jumbled heap of negatives to suit themselves.

You simply can't talk about "14 months" on one side and balance it with "one game" and be serious.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Login to get fewer ads

McCarthys future at ITFC. on 08:59 - Feb 5 with 3820 viewsOsborneOneNil

McCarthys future at ITFC. on 08:49 - Feb 5 by Reuser_is_God

So was Derby 1st goal Tuesday night.

The 2nd Reading goal wasn't Skuse territory at all, he'd have been in box defdending inital delivery.

Exactly. We've conceded plenty lately, wonder if they were in 'Skuse territory'?
McCarthys future at ITFC. on 09:00 - Feb 5 with 3806 viewsbluelady

McCarthys future at ITFC. on 08:47 - Feb 5 by PJH

That is what I thought.
We looked very good going forward but had nobody breaking up play when they went forward.
Agreement about Skuse will never be reached on here because those that do not rate him will not be changing their minds just as those of us that do will not be changing our minds.
Let's maybe agree that we all(or nearly all)want performances like yesterday's to be the norm again and that we climb the league.

As for MM,I have never stopped hoping/wishing/wanting him to be here next season.

Totally agree, I thought we looked good from the off yesterday and the tackle skuse put in when he got injured was crucial.. I personally think we may well not have conceded that first goal with him on pitch.. perhaps with these players around him however people maybe able to see his worth as he will have the chance to show what he is made of? For too long he has had to cover too many people's butts in that midfield, hasn't had the option of a forward pass as no one else wanting the ball. Let's see... I too want Mick to work isn't think anyone is better with the pound shop budget than him, this season however he seems to have lost the lot, let's hope the tide has turned
McCarthys future at ITFC. on 09:06 - Feb 5 with 3731 viewsNorthern_Blue81

Skuse not playing meant we added another more attack minded midfield player in Grant Ward and the balance of team was much different and positive.

If we would have played the game with 2 defensive midfielders the performance would have been a different one.

The injury forced Mick's hand, it was not his plan A to have a more attacking team and of course fielding a more positive team at home ends up in happier fans and a decent point against a top 4 team.
McCarthys future at ITFC. on 09:20 - Feb 5 with 3636 viewshadleighboyblue

The midfield worked really well yesterday , they all had a forward pass in them ...........what a difference !
McCarthys future at ITFC. on 09:37 - Feb 5 with 3539 viewsHarry_Palmer

McCarthys future at ITFC. on 08:59 - Feb 5 by OsborneOneNil

Exactly. We've conceded plenty lately, wonder if they were in 'Skuse territory'?

Huddersfield's first goal against us saw their player run from the half way line right through 'Skuse territory' and he was nowhere to be seen.

Mick won't have noticed that though, it would have been Dozzell's fault for getting turned on the half way line.
McCarthys future at ITFC. on 09:38 - Feb 5 with 3521 viewscruncher

I think Rueser is right if Mccarthy could keep producing performances like yesterday and play the ball on the deck and let the players play with freedom ,movement,and pace it's all the fans want yesterday was very pleasing on the eye for a change.
McCarthys future at ITFC. on 09:41 - Feb 5 with 3499 viewsMullet

McCarthys future at ITFC. on 09:37 - Feb 5 by Harry_Palmer

Huddersfield's first goal against us saw their player run from the half way line right through 'Skuse territory' and he was nowhere to be seen.

Mick won't have noticed that though, it would have been Dozzell's fault for getting turned on the half way line.

You mean Brown the lad from Chelsea who Andre completely let slip? If Skuse is entirely responsible for the whole midfield, that's fair enough. But given none of the back three came forward to close down the shot either, that doesn't make sense.

Even if we factor in that Skuse was actually doing his job and there are 10 outfield players on either side.

I find it fascinating that as soon there is an opportunity to make Skuse a scapegoat people are taking it. Despite the fact he's had poor games recently and little has been said because the whole team copped it. When he's injured suddenly this....

McCarthys future at ITFC. on 09:43 - Feb 5 with 3477 viewsPJH

McCarthys future at ITFC. on 09:37 - Feb 5 by Harry_Palmer

I stated the instant that that goal went in that it was Dozzell's fault-firstly for losing out at half way then for just trotting along behind the player that carried the ball forward.
The whole midfield were poor that day,as was most of the side,largely because Skuse was not doing what he usually does.Maybe if Skuse was playing well he would have sorted Dozzell's mess out for him but he wasn't and didn't.
Taking Dozzell off for Douglas as half time was also right in my view as an attempt to try to tighten up midfield a bit.
McCarthys future at ITFC. on 09:51 - Feb 5 with 3388 viewsClausThomsen

McCarthys future at ITFC. on 08:58 - Feb 5 by Mullet

How is it possibly 14 months of stagnation? Given we finished where last season?

If you're judging Mick on results, then you can only rely on this season. At best we're talking 5 months of inconsistency, bad luck, poor results, lack of resources and all sorts else.

That's after nearly 4 seasons of positivity for anyone looking. Whenever we have had decent results or performances this season too many people are happy to put them in the "one off" pile but created a jumbled heap of negatives to suit themselves.

You simply can't talk about "14 months" on one side and balance it with "one game" and be serious.

We've been a shadow of the side that made the playoffs, from losing Mings and getting Fraser, to now losing Murphy and getting Tom Lawrence. The performances haven't been good enough for a long time, and our ability to nick the win seems to have left us.

The good performances this season have been one-offs - not technically, there's been about 4 of them but they're not the norm - our bad performances heavily outweigh the good ones and have been beyond turgid. After our last 2 decent performances (Blackburn and Preston), McCarthy has made personnel/formation changes that have resulted in awful follow up performances. Is Mick going to make changes after Reading?

We still haven't won since that Tuesday night in Lincoln, although we were very unlucky yesterday. No excuses left for McCarthy, he's bolstered the squad and the injured players are back. The signings all look decent, but our easy fixtures are gone and it's squeaky bum time if we can't win one of our next 4 tough games.

The Norwich fixture could make or break it for Mick.
McCarthys future at ITFC. on 09:58 - Feb 5 with 3339 viewsPinewoodblue

Would Dougie have been a better option, doubt many would think so.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

McCarthys future at ITFC. on 10:03 - Feb 5 with 3296 viewsMullet

McCarthys future at ITFC. on 09:51 - Feb 5 by ClausThomsen

We've been a shadow of the side that made the playoffs, from losing Mings and getting Fraser, to now losing Murphy and getting Tom Lawrence. The performances haven't been good enough for a long time, and our ability to nick the win seems to have left us.

The good performances this season have been one-offs - not technically, there's been about 4 of them but they're not the norm - our bad performances heavily outweigh the good ones and have been beyond turgid. After our last 2 decent performances (Blackburn and Preston), McCarthy has made personnel/formation changes that have resulted in awful follow up performances. Is Mick going to make changes after Reading?

We still haven't won since that Tuesday night in Lincoln, although we were very unlucky yesterday. No excuses left for McCarthy, he's bolstered the squad and the injured players are back. The signings all look decent, but our easy fixtures are gone and it's squeaky bum time if we can't win one of our next 4 tough games.

The Norwich fixture could make or break it for Mick.

But that's a poor mix of stating the obvious and spinning things. 4 good performances? Or 4 good performances and results? Wolves away was an excellent performance by and large - in fact August was a decent mix of result vs. performance and that's before we lost Murphy.

I don't think anyone would say this hasn't been the worst season under Mick, but likewise you don't even credit the opposition in context good or bad. We were taken apart by Derby and to a lesser extent Huddersfield but also we struggled against Wigan this season but got a much needed win, to pick contrasting examples.

That's how the Championship is. When you're struggling like we are and keep losing our best players it's hardly surprising or fair to compare it to our best spell in a decade or so.

No one is making excuses for Mick, but this constant criticism and negativity needs some basis in reality. It seems a few have none of that whatsoever.

McCarthys future at ITFC. on 10:08 - Feb 5 with 3252 viewsbraveblue

Problem is Skuse will be straight back in. This is a real test of whether McCarthy can change.
McCarthys future at ITFC. on 10:13 - Feb 5 with 3211 viewsClausThomsen

McCarthys future at ITFC. on 10:03 - Feb 5 by Mullet

But that's a poor mix of stating the obvious and spinning things. 4 good performances? Or 4 good performances and results? Wolves away was an excellent performance by and large - in fact August was a decent mix of result vs. performance and that's before we lost Murphy.

I don't think anyone would say this hasn't been the worst season under Mick, but likewise you don't even credit the opposition in context good or bad. We were taken apart by Derby and to a lesser extent Huddersfield but also we struggled against Wigan this season but got a much needed win, to pick contrasting examples.

That's how the Championship is. When you're struggling like we are and keep losing our best players it's hardly surprising or fair to compare it to our best spell in a decade or so.

No one is making excuses for Mick, but this constant criticism and negativity needs some basis in reality. It seems a few have none of that whatsoever.

Have you got a Mick McCarthy tattoo?
McCarthys future at ITFC. on 10:13 - Feb 5 with 3208 viewsJohnhoz

McCarthys future at ITFC. on 09:38 - Feb 5 by cruncher

I think Rueser is right if Mccarthy could keep producing performances like yesterday and play the ball on the deck and let the players play with freedom ,movement,and pace it's all the fans want yesterday was very pleasing on the eye for a change.

It's the inconsistency that's so incredible. I wasn't there yesterday, but many of you who were seem very pleased with the attitude of the players and the style of play. I did go to Huddersfield which was pants and the Lincoln game was just so terrible I can't even think of the words. Derby just made me want to puke.

Perhaps it's as simple as having Diagouraga, Huws and Ward in the middle of the park instead of Skuse, Douglas and Bru.

The way Huws won the ball for our first yesterday and then ran forward and fed Lawrence was the sort of thing that we haven't seen for a long time. We just never score on the counter attack like that. Very nice indeed

I reckon we should sack the manager every time we lose a game
Poll: Right now, why do you go to games

McCarthys future at ITFC. on 10:20 - Feb 5 with 3161 viewsITFCBlues

McCarthys future at ITFC. on 08:26 - Feb 5 by Reuser_is_God

If we played like that on a consistent basis between now & May then I'd be more than happy for Mick to be our manager next season.

Based on this seasons inconsistency though that's a massive if.

It's almost as though Mick being allowed to spend a little money improves the performances

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

McCarthys future at ITFC. on 10:22 - Feb 5 with 3133 viewsNorthern_Blue81

McCarthys future at ITFC. on 10:13 - Feb 5 by Johnhoz

It's the inconsistency that's so incredible. I wasn't there yesterday, but many of you who were seem very pleased with the attitude of the players and the style of play. I did go to Huddersfield which was pants and the Lincoln game was just so terrible I can't even think of the words. Derby just made me want to puke.

Perhaps it's as simple as having Diagouraga, Huws and Ward in the middle of the park instead of Skuse, Douglas and Bru.

The way Huws won the ball for our first yesterday and then ran forward and fed Lawrence was the sort of thing that we haven't seen for a long time. We just never score on the counter attack like that. Very nice indeed

Nail on the head...

McCarthys future at ITFC. on 10:22 - Feb 5 with 3132 viewsbluefunk

McCarthys future at ITFC. on 10:03 - Feb 5 by Mullet

It's also no coincidence that the decent performances have come when we aren't decimated by injuries, MM has been given so little leeway on this.

Fans expect him to change style and stay competitive when he has lost to long term injury, Smith, Hyam, McGoldrick, Williams ( yes I know), Pitman, Webster and Bishop. That's 2 of our most competitive players, 2 centre backs, 3 of our most creative players and 2 goalscorers. Most of that happened without the ability to replace them.

At times the spine of the team has had no competition - hence Dougles. MM has made mistakes but to have those injuries in such a small squad in the first season without loan Windows deserves a lot more consideration imo.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024