Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sympathy for the old devil 13:47 - Feb 6 with 2291 viewstractorshark

I was a pretty staunch Mick In sort of person and felt he had to be given the season.
Then Lincoln tipped me over the edge and I wanted him gone.
I haven't particularly changed my mind, I still believe every manager has a shelf life and we are frustratingly inconsistent.
But having listened to Milne's interview, I have wavered on Mick or at least I now have more sympathy for him.
I don't excuse him for playing the likes of Douglas week in, week out but, Jesus wept, it appears as though he has been working with one hand tied behind his back.
The transfer window was not his fault, the blame must lie with Evans and Milne, who live in cloud cuckoo land when it comes to football.
In fact if it hadn't have been for Mick's contacts and eye for a player, we wouldn't have got Huws...or for that matter Lawrence last summer.
It's no coincidence that we played well on Saturday because we had better players available in midfield.
I'll blame Mick for Douglas but let's be honest Bru, Bishop and Dozzell have struggled to dominate midfields this season.
Mick may still not be the answer, I suspect he will walk away anyway in the summer, but I have softened my stance since hearing Milne and I imagine others have as well.
Sympathy for the old devil on 14:04 - Feb 6 with 1779 viewstheipswichman

I think it would be a big mistake if we let Mccarthy go in the summer, others may disagree but he's a very good manager.
[Post edited 6 Feb 2017 14:04]
It would seem that..... on 14:07 - Feb 6 with 1753 viewsBloots

Sympathy for the old devil on 14:04 - Feb 6 by theipswichman

I think it would be a big mistake if we let Mccarthy go in the summer, others may disagree but he's a very good manager.

....he's made his mind up, I doubt there's much we can do about it now.

What will be a shame is that if (by any miracle) Evans does spend some cash MM doesn't get the chance to see what he could do with it.

My concern is that when MM goes, the new bloke gets the dough and we are left in a Keane/Jewell situation.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

Sympathy for the old devil on 14:11 - Feb 6 with 1731 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I think if he wants to go, it would be a massive mistake to keep him.

He seems fed up.... with everything. Who wouldn't be?! LOL

Needs a new man, with some fresh ideas and energy.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

It would seem that..... on 14:14 - Feb 6 with 1711 viewsPJH

It would seem that..... on 14:07 - Feb 6 by Bloots

What will be a shame is that if (by any miracle) Evans does spend some cash MM doesn't get the chance to see what he could do with it.

My concern is that when MM goes, the new bloke gets the dough and we are left in a Keane/Jewell situation.

I am not sure that he has made his mind up,although the wording of his statements on the subject would seem to suggest that he intends to pack it in in the summer.
I think what happens on the pitch, and whatever crowd reaction to it is off the pitch, in the next three months will make his mind up.

I have not for a moment stopped wanting him still to be here next season although at times (especially after Lincoln away)have thought it looked very unlikely.
It would seem that..... on 14:14 - Feb 6 with 1706 viewsBlueBadger

It would seem that..... on 14:07 - Feb 6 by Bloots

The last week or who has seen the 'Megson Out' committee move to MegCon 2, just as a precautionary measure.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Sympathy for the old devil on 14:15 - Feb 6 with 1709 viewsGuthrum

As I pointed out in another thread, Douglas may not have been a good option, but he was one of the few McCarthy has had available for much of the season. The alternatives being the inconsistent and not defensively strong Bru or the still very young Dozzell.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Sympathy for the old devil on 14:20 - Feb 6 with 1655 viewsGuthrum

Sympathy for the old devil on 14:11 - Feb 6 by Marshalls_Mullet

I think if he wants to go, it would be a massive mistake to keep him.

He seems fed up.... with everything. Who wouldn't be?! LOL

Needs a new man, with some fresh ideas and energy.

I do wonder if McCarthy's playing a "wait and see" game, if he can get to a position where some better performances have allowed us to climb the table a fair bit and the fans begin to back him again.

I think few things would give him more satisfaction than the team being able to make something respectable out of the inconsistent mess which has been the season so far - and to be able to say "I told you so".

It would seem that..... on 14:22 - Feb 6 with 1639 viewsGuthrum

It would seem that..... on 14:14 - Feb 6 by BlueBadger

The last week or who has seen the 'Megson Out' committee move to MegCon 2, just as a precautionary measure.

The old Curbishley twitch has made a reappearance, too.

Login to get fewer ads

It would seem that..... on 14:23 - Feb 6 with 1632 viewsBlueBadger

It would seem that..... on 14:22 - Feb 6 by Guthrum

The old Curbishley twitch has made a reappearance, too.

How are the property values in Woodbridge looking at the moment? That's a sure indicator.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

It would seem that..... on 14:23 - Feb 6 with 1625 viewsGuthrum

It would seem that..... on 14:23 - Feb 6 by BlueBadger

How are the property values in Woodbridge looking at the moment? That's a sure indicator.

Does he not still own most of it?

Sympathy for the old devil on 14:25 - Feb 6 with 1608 viewsPJH

Sympathy for the old devil on 14:20 - Feb 6 by Guthrum

I do wonder if McCarthy's playing a "wait and see" game, if he can get to a position where some better performances have allowed us to climb the table a fair bit and the fans begin to back him again.

I think few things would give him more satisfaction than the team being able to make something respectable out of the inconsistent mess which has been the season so far - and to be able to say "I told you so".

That is what I was meaning.
I think if we do end up in a more respectable position than we are now and if the necessary improvement in results to achieve that happens along with more off the pitch atmosphere's like last Saturday then he might well wish to continue.
Sympathy for the old devil on 14:25 - Feb 6 with 1610 viewsClausThomsen

Sympathy for the old devil on 14:15 - Feb 6 by Guthrum

As I pointed out in another thread, Douglas may not have been a good option, but he was one of the few McCarthy has had available for much of the season. The alternatives being the inconsistent and not defensively strong Bru or the still very young Dozzell.

Grant Ward's been available all season to play central midfield...

It worries me how slow McCarthy is to spot a player past his best or horribly out of form and make the change. His dithering and over-loyalty costs us points, especially over the last 2 seasons.
Sympathy for the old devil on 14:31 - Feb 6 with 1559 viewsGuthrum

Sympathy for the old devil on 14:25 - Feb 6 by ClausThomsen

It worries me how slow McCarthy is to spot a player past his best or horribly out of form and make the change. His dithering and over-loyalty costs us points, especially over the last 2 seasons.

If he sticks Ward in the middle, who plays right wing/out wide?

It's easy to spot out-of-form , etc. players, but less easy to replace then with the squad we have had. Even if you think a youth player could have stepped up the way Emmanuel has, it's still a risk. And DM is a very physical role for a yong man still growing.

Sympathy for the old devil on 14:31 - Feb 6 with 1543 viewsGuthrum

Sympathy for the old devil on 14:25 - Feb 6 by PJH

That is what I was meaning.
I think if we do end up in a more respectable position than we are now and if the necessary improvement in results to achieve that happens along with more off the pitch atmosphere's like last Saturday then he might well wish to continue.

Indeed. Hadn't read your post when I wrote mine.

Sympathy for the old devil on 14:37 - Feb 6 with 1512 viewsClausThomsen

Sympathy for the old devil on 14:31 - Feb 6 by Guthrum

If he sticks Ward in the middle, who plays right wing/out wide?

It's easy to spot out-of-form , etc. players, but less easy to replace then with the squad we have had. Even if you think a youth player could have stepped up the way Emmanuel has, it's still a risk. And DM is a very physical role for a yong man still growing.

Freddie Sears or Kevin Bru have both played there. With a fully fit squad, these are the only backup options at right midfield (unless you count Bishop - which you shouldn't). Edit - and "Reg", who imo was much better at right midfield than he ever was up front.

When it became obvious Douglas was gone, the change should have been made. Not because opposing fans were filming him or because our fans booed him, but because the manager spotted it and acted accordingly.
[Post edited 6 Feb 2017 14:39]
Sympathy for the old devil on 15:38 - Feb 6 with 1377 viewsGuthrum

Sympathy for the old devil on 14:37 - Feb 6 by ClausThomsen

Freddie Sears or Kevin Bru have both played there. With a fully fit squad, these are the only backup options at right midfield (unless you count Bishop - which you shouldn't). Edit - and "Reg", who imo was much better at right midfield than he ever was up front.

When it became obvious Douglas was gone, the change should have been made. Not because opposing fans were filming him or because our fans booed him, but because the manager spotted it and acted accordingly.
[Post edited 6 Feb 2017 14:39]

'When it became obvious that Douglas was gone' - the general consensus was that Douglas was much improved in his first few appearances this season. After the end of August, it's no longer possible to do anything about a situation, apart from signing out-of-contract players.

Sears has mostly played on the left when he's been out wide. Bru is no more reliable on the wing than in the centre, merely moving the problem to another area of the pitch. In any case, being a wide man in a front three is different to playing as an out-and-out winger, doesn't require having to cover the whole touchline.

Sympathy for the old devil on 15:49 - Feb 6 with 1334 viewstractorshark

I like Ward but I'm not convinced he's a central midfielder.
He was great against Barnsley at home but he needs physical strength alongside him.
He gets lost a bit in there.
He's not what I would call an out and out winger either but I do prefer him there.
It maybe with the likes of Toumani he can be more effective in the centre.
Sympathy for the old devil on 15:54 - Feb 6 with 1314 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Sympathy for the old devil on 14:31 - Feb 6 by Guthrum

Indeed. Hadn't read your post when I wrote mine.

Get a room!!

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Sympathy for the old devil on 16:11 - Feb 6 with 1271 viewshadleighboyblue

The midfield has been poor for some time , playing Douglas was a mistake , but others , in particular Skuse and Bru were failing to make an impact .

The midfield on Saturday was like a breath of fresh air with the 2 new players making an immediate impact and Ward looking more like the player we saw when he first came here .

Their first thought was not to pass back , but look for a forward pass , unlike Skuse and it livened up the forwards - how often before saturday have we seen the type of the 2 lovely passes that lead to our goals
Sympathy for the old devil on 16:38 - Feb 6 with 1203 viewsThe_Last_Baron

It would be a huge mistake not to make a change in the summer. We need a clear out in every department including the players.

The best thing would be for Evans to sell the club to someone who will invest significant funds in the club. We desperately need better players.

However we also need a new manager with new ideas. We are on a downward spiral which I can't see changing without a new regime. Mick's had a fair crack at it, it will be 4 and a half years by the end of the season and that is long enough. Under Burley you felt the team was getting stronger every season. Under Mick it's the opposite.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Sympathy for the old devil on 16:39 - Feb 6 with 1194 viewsGuthrum

Sympathy for the old devil on 15:54 - Feb 6 by Marshalls_Mullet

Get a room!!

Sympathy for the old devil on 17:16 - Feb 6 with 1134 viewsSwn98

Sympathy for the old devil on 16:38 - Feb 6 by The_Last_Baron

It would be a huge mistake not to make a change in the summer. We need a clear out in every department including the players.

The best thing would be for Evans to sell the club to someone who will invest significant funds in the club. We desperately need better players.

However we also need a new manager with new ideas. We are on a downward spiral which I can't see changing without a new regime. Mick's had a fair crack at it, it will be 4 and a half years by the end of the season and that is long enough. Under Burley you felt the team was getting stronger every season. Under Mick it's the opposite.

We're you at Saturdays game?
Sympathy for the old devil on 18:44 - Feb 6 with 1031 viewsClausThomsen

Sympathy for the old devil on 15:38 - Feb 6 by Guthrum

'When it became obvious that Douglas was gone' - the general consensus was that Douglas was much improved in his first few appearances this season. After the end of August, it's no longer possible to do anything about a situation, apart from signing out-of-contract players.

Sears has mostly played on the left when he's been out wide. Bru is no more reliable on the wing than in the centre, merely moving the problem to another area of the pitch. In any case, being a wide man in a front three is different to playing as an out-and-out winger, doesn't require having to cover the whole touchline.

Well then, that's surely another failing in the squad Mick has assembled - one's he said he was delighted with pre-season.

If Ward gets injured, who plays right midfield?

No sympathy here!
Sympathy for the old devil on 18:54 - Feb 6 with 1004 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Sympathy for the old devil on 17:16 - Feb 6 by Swn98

We're you at Saturdays game?

One good performance on the back of several very poor ones will not change how I view the current mess at Ipswich.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Sympathy for the old devil on 19:24 - Feb 6 with 932 viewsSwn98

Sympathy for the old devil on 18:54 - Feb 6 by The_Last_Baron

One good performance on the back of several very poor ones will not change how I view the current mess at Ipswich.

I have to assume you weren't at the game Saturday.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024