Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What do you do when you don't know what to do? 17:42 - Feb 8 with 5132 viewsThisIsMyUsername

I'm 25 and have no idea anymore what I want to do with my life. I spent 22/23 years only wanting to ever do one particular job which is what I was consciously always working towards but now having worked in the same industry (but a different job) I know enough about it now that I can't bring myself to want to do it anymore.

So I'm now in a position where I have absolutely no idea what my calling is. I also don't live in a particularly inspiring part of the world which makes me utterly bored. I'd love to get out and live a bit more but how do you do that when you don't know what it is you want to do as a career/vocation?

Very bad times. Anyone else been in this situation?

(Inspired by the career change thread).
[Post edited 8 Feb 2017 17:43]

@veterans_project on Instagram. Please follow the page.
Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 17:52 - Feb 8 with 2062 viewsconnorscontract

Ok, I'm here for the next 20 minutes. Coaching Session. Quick questions and Answers...

1) What motivates you more: money or fulfillment?
What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 17:55 - Feb 8 with 2042 viewsconnorscontract

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 17:52 - Feb 8 by connorscontract

Ok, I'm here for the next 20 minutes. Coaching Session. Quick questions and Answers...

2) Are you looking for a) a lifetime career b) something you can make some progress in in the next 5 to 10 years, then re-assess or c) something different in the short-term so you can try different things to gain experiences and perspectives?
What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 17:57 - Feb 8 with 2027 viewsconnorscontract

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 17:55 - Feb 8 by connorscontract

2) Are you looking for a) a lifetime career b) something you can make some progress in in the next 5 to 10 years, then re-assess or c) something different in the short-term so you can try different things to gain experiences and perspectives?

3) What is your highest educational level? a) less than 4 GCSE's C or above b) 4+ GCSE's C or above c) A Level d) Diploma e) First Degree f) Further Degree
What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 17:57 - Feb 8 with 2022 viewsThisIsMyUsername

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 17:52 - Feb 8 by connorscontract

Fulfilment of course. As long as I could live a comfortable and modest life without needing to worry about financial issues.

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 17:58 - Feb 8 with 2030 viewscaught-in-limbo

You appear to have no real ties or obligations in life. You're incredibly lucky. Don't waste it. Travel.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 17:59 - Feb 8 with 2010 viewsThisIsMyUsername

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 17:55 - Feb 8 by connorscontract

I would say option B. I'd always like to have the potential for change of some kind. Whether it's in terms of a different field all together or something different in the same one...

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 17:59 - Feb 8 with 2002 viewsThisIsMyUsername

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 17:57 - Feb 8 by connorscontract

3) What is your highest educational level? a) less than 4 GCSE's C or above b) 4+ GCSE's C or above c) A Level d) Diploma e) First Degree f) Further Degree

A-Levels though not great grades.

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 18:02 - Feb 8 with 2000 viewsThisIsMyUsername

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 17:58 - Feb 8 by caught-in-limbo

You appear to have no real ties or obligations in life. You're incredibly lucky. Don't waste it. Travel.

That's what my heart has been telling me to do for the last no idea how long. Though moving abroad and living and working in a totally different country for a while, rather than the backpacking scene. My worry is coming back and being in the exact same position just however much older. I'm still living at home if that helps for context on that last point.
[Post edited 8 Feb 2017 18:03]

Login to get fewer ads

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 18:02 - Feb 8 with 1993 viewsconnorscontract

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 17:57 - Feb 8 by connorscontract

4) Which option of each of the following pairs/threes do you enjoy the most:

a) New experiences and different work patterns or stability and predictability
b) Being outdoors or being indoors
c) Working as part of a team or being allowed to work on your own
d) Being with people your own age or being with a mix of ages or being the youngest
e) Physically hard work or mentally taxing work
f) Facing the public/customers or being behind the scenes
g) Working more with people or more with machines
What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 18:06 - Feb 8 with 1937 viewschicoazul

Go travelling brother. See the world. You got loads of time and you might get inspired about a career/life choice when you're out there.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 18:06 - Feb 8 with 1924 viewsgiant_stow

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 17:58 - Feb 8 by caught-in-limbo

10/10 top advice.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 18:07 - Feb 8 with 1924 viewsconnorscontract

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 18:02 - Feb 8 by ThisIsMyUsername

That's what my heart has been telling me to do for the last no idea how long. Though moving abroad and living and working in a totally different country for a while, rather than the backpacking scene. My worry is coming back and being in the exact same position just however much older. I'm still living at home if that helps for context on that last point.

You've got 2 or 3 years to move to Europe and do something, then that opportunity may be gone forever (unless you gain desirable professional qualifications or skills and experience).
Does that appeal?

Are you decent at speaking French? (going by your avatar) Are you outgoing in personality?

I'm not going to tell you what to do here, just ask questions and let you put it together.
What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 18:09 - Feb 8 with 1910 viewsgordon

Teach English as a Foreign Language. I was bored in my mid-twenties, went off and did a one month training program (CELTA) and got a job straight after, had one year teaching in the Czech Republic and one in Italy. Good times. If u don't know what you want to do, it's a top option. Learn a language, properly experience other cultures, transferable skills, and have a good time.
What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 18:09 - Feb 8 with 1901 viewsThisIsMyUsername

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 18:02 - Feb 8 by connorscontract

4) Which option of each of the following pairs/threes do you enjoy the most:

a) New experiences and different work patterns or stability and predictability
b) Being outdoors or being indoors
c) Working as part of a team or being allowed to work on your own
d) Being with people your own age or being with a mix of ages or being the youngest
e) Physically hard work or mentally taxing work
f) Facing the public/customers or being behind the scenes
g) Working more with people or more with machines

A) New experiences and variety. Not the monotonous 9-5 every week.
B) Not hugely bothered. A mixture.
C) Working as part of a team but trusted to work alone too.
D) I'm quite an 'old' 25 so working with people older than me is fine.
E) Would prefer mentally rather than physically.
F) Opportunity to deal with different people in real life.
G) See F.

If it helps, the job I always thought I wanted to do was a police officer. I've worked in various jobs in the police as a civilian (a lot of the time working with officers), as well as working on the other side as a voluntary police officer and like I said I currently can't bring myself to want to do it, even though I know I'd be good at it.

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 18:10 - Feb 8 with 1893 viewsfactual_blue

Cheese.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 18:11 - Feb 8 with 1884 viewsThisIsMyUsername

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 18:07 - Feb 8 by connorscontract

You've got 2 or 3 years to move to Europe and do something, then that opportunity may be gone forever (unless you gain desirable professional qualifications or skills and experience).
Does that appeal?

Are you decent at speaking French? (going by your avatar) Are you outgoing in personality?

I'm not going to tell you what to do here, just ask questions and let you put it together.

I speak French at an intermediate standard. I enquired about a job with a company in Normandy a while ago but you needed a degree to work there which I don't have.

I'm more introvert than extrovert but I adapt when needed.
[Post edited 8 Feb 2017 18:12]

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 18:12 - Feb 8 with 1856 viewsgiant_stow

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 18:09 - Feb 8 by ThisIsMyUsername

A) New experiences and variety. Not the monotonous 9-5 every week.
B) Not hugely bothered. A mixture.
C) Working as part of a team but trusted to work alone too.
D) I'm quite an 'old' 25 so working with people older than me is fine.
E) Would prefer mentally rather than physically.
F) Opportunity to deal with different people in real life.
G) See F.

If it helps, the job I always thought I wanted to do was a police officer. I've worked in various jobs in the police as a civilian (a lot of the time working with officers), as well as working on the other side as a voluntary police officer and like I said I currently can't bring myself to want to do it, even though I know I'd be good at it.

Out of interest, what's put you off being a rozzer?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 18:13 - Feb 8 with 1840 viewsfactual_blue

Is cheese-making an option?

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 18:14 - Feb 8 with 1824 viewsThisIsMyUsername

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 18:09 - Feb 8 by gordon

Teach English as a Foreign Language. I was bored in my mid-twenties, went off and did a one month training program (CELTA) and got a job straight after, had one year teaching in the Czech Republic and one in Italy. Good times. If u don't know what you want to do, it's a top option. Learn a language, properly experience other cultures, transferable skills, and have a good time.

I looked in to that extensively a while ago and had a place on a CELTA course but ended up not doing it in the end. I've been looking at it again online and a lot of people seem to be saying that without a degree or previous teaching experience it's very tough to land a decent teaching job in a desirable country?

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 18:15 - Feb 8 with 1815 viewsfactual_blue

There are a good many on here to whom English appears to be a foreign language, but I think they're beyond even your talents to help.

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 18:15 - Feb 8 with 1806 viewsconnorscontract

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 17:57 - Feb 8 by ThisIsMyUsername

Fulfilment of course. As long as I could live a comfortable and modest life without needing to worry about financial issues.

So what fulfills you?

(You don't have to reply to these questions on here, but write the answers down in a document and copy paste all your other answers to mine and others questions)

When have you been proudest of something in your life?
Which missed opportunities do you most regret?
When have you felt invaluable?
What is the essence of your personality?

And on the flipside:

What frustrates you about your current profession?
Why are you disillusioned with it?
When have you felt stifled?

Leading to:
Which skills would you love to develop?
Do you want to increase your academic qualifications?
Are there other barriers to progress you can think of? (eg health, financial, skills/qualifications like driving licence etc)
What do you love doing with your free time?
Who do you love being with?
Where do you love being?

When in your life have you felt the most "you"?

Your answer to the "Travel" suggestions was very wise: aimless travel is still aimless, it just gives more opportunities for you to bump into the right person, get some inspiration etc but it can become very hard to adjust back if done for too long without purpose.
What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 18:17 - Feb 8 with 1795 viewsThisIsMyUsername

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 18:12 - Feb 8 by giant_stow

Out of interest, what's put you off being a rozzer?

That would take me far too long to type out...

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 18:17 - Feb 8 with 1793 viewsSwansea_Blue

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 18:02 - Feb 8 by ThisIsMyUsername

If you do something like that you won't come back in exactly the same position: you'll have your newfound experiences, inspirations, confidence and maybe even contacts to draw on. Besides, it's a massive cliche but the knack is to enjoy the journey, not focus on the destination.

Follow your heart, decide, commit and go for it. If traveling appeals, to work or just see the world, do it now while you don't have the commitments.

I'm in a similar boat but bogged down with commitments (family, kids, mortgage) and a decently paid job that everyone tells me I'm lucky to have, but I hate it and know there's more fun out there. I'd love the chance to be a free spirit again.

I have got permission to go to Villa though, so it's not all bad

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 18:18 - Feb 8 with 1781 viewsgiant_stow

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 18:17 - Feb 8 by ThisIsMyUsername

That would take me far too long to type out...

Fair dos - whatever the answer is may give you a clue as to what to do next.

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 18:20 - Feb 8 with 1770 viewsconnorscontract

And, if it is less scary to start with, you could qualify then TEFL here to gain experience and confidence before heading abroad in 6 months to a year. You could research local TEFL colleges and maybe contact one to ask about the employment prospects locally, currently.

Look at all your answers and see if this fits, for you as a 2 to 5 year plan.
[Post edited 8 Feb 2017 18:21]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024