Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Red wine 08:50 - Feb 15 with 3408 viewsgtsb1966

Any connoisseurs on here. I used to drink a lot of the cheap stuff but when I do have it now I limit it to a bottle and usually buy a bottle for around a tenner rather than the really cheap stuff. Some weekend nights a bottle opened a couple of hours before bedtime is heaven. Any recommendations. Had a lovely bottle of Jacobs creek double barrelled Shiraz last night with an abv of 14.9. Shiraz full bodied suggestions most welcome please.
Red wine on 08:52 - Feb 15 with 2930 viewshype313

Can't go wrong with a decent Argentinian Malbec, Aldi have a lovely bottle at the mo, think about £7.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Red wine on 09:12 - Feb 15 with 2891 viewsfergalsharkey

Wine is a personal thing.
Pinot noir if you like something light and airy .
Any french chateau bottled burgandys are usually good particularly gran cru.
New world reds from chile always seem decent too whatever your tastes.

Poll: Cook out?

Red wine on 09:28 - Feb 15 with 2863 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

I tend to find that for around a fiver, can get a pretty decent red from Asda, Aldi etc. Had some quite expensive bottles given to me in the past that have not been anything special to be honest.
Wolf bass, Jacobs creek, McGuigans etc all do very nice reds for around the £5.00 mark.
Had some Vietnamese red in Hanoi a few weeks back, about a quid, that was as bad as i,ve ever tasted.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Red wine on 09:40 - Feb 15 with 2838 viewsBarneycurley

Being a South Australian resident I would always advise anything (within reason) from Barossa and my fave McLaren Vale - shiraz of course. Barossa Reds tend to be more 'Old school' Oaked and usually for the better wines a potential to age. Mclaren Vale tend to be more approachable when younger. I am basically in heaven in SA.

From elsewhere NZ for Pinot if you like lighter bodied perfumed wines and don't miss out on good cabs from Argentina and malbec of course and Zinfandel from California.

Based on my experience the vintage is a key also wine and wineries can vary hugely based on how decent the year is. 2010 and particularly 2012 for Australian reds were magnificent. You really won't go too far wrong with 2012 Reds. I am back in uk at the moment and the only shame being lack of Margaret River - the cab capital of Oz and haven't seen much in any supermarket.

Hope that helps
[Post edited 15 Feb 2017 9:42]

Poll: Last nights obv lling of Evans are him and bluefish ever seen in the same room?

Red wine on 09:42 - Feb 15 with 2823 viewshype313

Red wine on 09:40 - Feb 15 by Barneycurley

Being a South Australian resident I would always advise anything (within reason) from Barossa and my fave McLaren Vale - shiraz of course. Barossa Reds tend to be more 'Old school' Oaked and usually for the better wines a potential to age. Mclaren Vale tend to be more approachable when younger. I am basically in heaven in SA.

From elsewhere NZ for Pinot if you like lighter bodied perfumed wines and don't miss out on good cabs from Argentina and malbec of course and Zinfandel from California.

Based on my experience the vintage is a key also wine and wineries can vary hugely based on how decent the year is. 2010 and particularly 2012 for Australian reds were magnificent. You really won't go too far wrong with 2012 Reds. I am back in uk at the moment and the only shame being lack of Margaret River - the cab capital of Oz and haven't seen much in any supermarket.

Hope that helps

I had a bottle of Pepperjack a while back, it was lovely, but I can't find it in the UK for love nor money.

Red wine on 09:50 - Feb 15 with 2802 viewsBarneycurley

Red wine on 09:42 - Feb 15 by hype313

I had a bottle of Pepperjack a while back, it was lovely, but I can't find it in the UK for love nor money.

Yeah its very pleasant. Good value too about equivalent of 14 quid if you can get a good deal. I can't suggest where you might sorry!

Poll: Last nights obv lling of Evans are him and bluefish ever seen in the same room?

Red wine on 10:02 - Feb 15 with 2780 viewsgtsb1966

I had an Australian wine called Gumnut. That's hard to get too.
Red wine on 10:07 - Feb 15 with 2760 viewsBarneycurley

Red wine on 10:02 - Feb 15 by gtsb1966

I had an Australian wine called Gumnut. That's hard to get too.

Not had that. Did see a McGuigan shiraz a 2012 called shortlist- its pretty good! Think it was about 15 quid. I'd highly recommend! At Sainsburys

Login to get fewer ads

Red wine on 10:09 - Feb 15 with 2754 viewsbrazil1982

I favour Merlot from Chile, always a good standard.

My favourite red wine was "Washington Hills" from the US. Cannot for the life of me find it now. Used to be £6 in the Co-op (up North). Lovely.
Red wine on 10:16 - Feb 15 with 2735 viewsdalinghooblue

Try auswinesonline, but Pepperjack is a bit like rocking horse droppings at the moment

alhy

Red wine on 10:18 - Feb 15 with 2721 viewshype313

Red wine on 10:16 - Feb 15 by dalinghooblue

Try auswinesonline, but Pepperjack is a bit like rocking horse droppings at the moment

Cheers, it's sods law you have a bottle of something really nice and then it is like gold dust.

Red wine on 10:45 - Feb 15 with 2676 viewsIPS_wich

Red wine on 10:18 - Feb 15 by hype313

Cheers, it's sods law you have a bottle of something really nice and then it is like gold dust.

Pepper jack is lovely, one of my favourites. On special offer at my local offie...(in Perth, Australia)

Two bottle for $40, about £24.
Red wine on 11:13 - Feb 15 with 2641 viewsBlueorder

Red wine doesn't agree with me, but I do like a glass or two of Gruner Veltliner from Austria.
Red wine on 11:25 - Feb 15 with 2633 viewsGodzilla

Enjoyed a nice bottle of Oyster Bay Merlot 2014 at the weekend, its available in the big supermarkets for around that price. If you are into full bodied reds (at that price), its hard to beat a nice cabernet sauvignon from France or the New World countries..
Red wine on 11:30 - Feb 15 with 2613 viewsmichaeldownunder

Had a great red the other day called Old gentleman No.5.
Not sure if it makes it all the way to the UK.
Cost about $15
Red wine on 11:44 - Feb 15 with 2587 viewsLord_Lucan

Personally I think a lot of cr4p is spoken about wine. I watched Nigel Havers last night swig one mouthful and then harp on about pears, basil and treacle. I wanted to shoot him. As a big red wine drinker my only advice is to buy over the £6 mark, make sure it's at least 13% and if possible buy Spanish or South African.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Red wine on 11:50 - Feb 15 with 2572 viewshochiblue

Red wine on 09:40 - Feb 15 by Barneycurley

Hope that helps

M & S do a Margaret River cab sav. A little bit harsh for me but OK.
Red wine on 11:56 - Feb 15 with 2564 viewsSwansea_Blue

Red wine on 11:25 - Feb 15 by Godzilla

Enjoyed a nice bottle of Oyster Bay Merlot 2014 at the weekend, its available in the big supermarkets for around that price. If you are into full bodied reds (at that price), its hard to beat a nice cabernet sauvignon from France or the New World countries..

I'm not keen on Merlot and it certainly doesn't agree with me unless it's blended in something like a Bordeaux. It's a very personal thing.

Rioja / tempranillo is my favourite for the slightly more full-bodied wines, but I'm not a big wine drinker these days and certainly no wine snob. Yep, can't often go wrong with French reds or New World cab sauvignon or Shiraz from supermarkets.

We've got a decent Dylans near us that I rely on for recommendations if its for a special occasion, but that doesn't happen that often.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Red wine on 12:00 - Feb 15 with 2554 viewsBluefish

I buy campo viejo temprenillo rioja by the case load so it works out around £5 per bottle. Wonderful stuff

If you like white go for villa Maria Marlborough sauvignon blanc

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Red wine on 12:02 - Feb 15 with 2542 viewsIPS_wich

Red wine on 11:50 - Feb 15 by hochiblue

M & S do a Margaret River cab sav. A little bit harsh for me but OK.

The best stuff coming out of Margaret River is typically some of the blends (Semillion & Sav Blanc or Cab Sav / Shiraz). But the best best stuff barely makes it out of Australia because most of the best Wineries are pretty low volume producers. The big factory style wineries like Houghton and Sandalford are pretty ordinary and not a good representation of the region.
Red wine on 12:03 - Feb 15 with 2535 viewsSwansea_Blue

Red wine on 12:00 - Feb 15 by Bluefish

I buy campo viejo temprenillo rioja by the case load so it works out around £5 per bottle. Wonderful stuff

^^this.

Can't go wrong with either. NZ SB is our go to white.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Red wine on 12:05 - Feb 15 with 2532 viewsLord_Lucan

Red wine on 12:00 - Feb 15 by Bluefish

Both your suggestions are superb. I'm not a massive white fan but that villa Maria is blooming lovely, albeit a bit pricey. They do a red which I haven't tried.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Red wine on 12:09 - Feb 15 with 2504 viewshampstead_blue

If you go to your local Majestic you'll discover a new world of drinking.

We love our's. The staff really know their stuff, free delivery, you can call them if you an't get there, and they don't try and up-sell all the time.

Alternatively I've been a member of the Sunday Times Wine Club, now owned by Tony Laithewaite. Great service and products.

We don't use supermarkets as you can get much better wine for the same, if not cheaper prices at Majestic or Sunday Times.

£10 a bottle is a good budget.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Red wine on 12:42 - Feb 15 with 2453 viewsBornBlue

Red wine on 12:09 - Feb 15 by hampstead_blue

If you go to your local Majestic you'll discover a new world of drinking.

We love our's. The staff really know their stuff, free delivery, you can call them if you an't get there, and they don't try and up-sell all the time.

Alternatively I've been a member of the Sunday Times Wine Club, now owned by Tony Laithewaite. Great service and products.

We don't use supermarkets as you can get much better wine for the same, if not cheaper prices at Majestic or Sunday Times.

£10 a bottle is a good budget.

I'm glad someone spoke of Majestic wine. I stumbled into the Ipswich one about 3 years ago when my car was in the Halfords next door. I've never looked back. The manager Johnny is spot on. Anytime I buy a supermarket wine at the same price point, there is no comparison. Sure I've had a good wine or two from Lidl, but for consistency, you can't beat Majestic. Most of the wines I buy average £8 to £10 per bottle.
Red wine on 12:43 - Feb 15 with 2451 viewsBarneycurley

Red wine on 12:02 - Feb 15 by IPS_wich

The best stuff coming out of Margaret River is typically some of the blends (Semillion & Sav Blanc or Cab Sav / Shiraz). But the best best stuff barely makes it out of Australia because most of the best Wineries are pretty low volume producers. The big factory style wineries like Houghton and Sandalford are pretty ordinary and not a good representation of the region.

Very true try finding a deep woods or leeuwin outside oz is rare...

Surprised more vasse hasn't made it over

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024