Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Standing as a candidate...genuine question for those voting and open to vote LAB 19:24 - Apr 21 with 1535 viewscolchesterchris

Quick one really. As a season ticket holder and growing up just across the Essex border, I class Ipswich very much as my second home, and have a keen interest in politics too.

I've been reading about standing as a Labour candidate, and couldn't think of a better group to float a couple of questions to than the ITFC family.

What are the chances of taking Ipswich back from the Conservatives, and how many of you are planning/would be interested in getting involved to try and get the vote out?

Any tips, encouragements or totally dismissive responses are welcome, interested in a balance of views here.

Poll: Hypothetically, we have £1M for January. What would you rather?

Standing as a candidate...genuine question for those voting and open to vote LAB on 19:28 - Apr 21 with 1507 viewsJ2BLUE

I'm in...but I want a job when you win.

You'd need to overturn a 3733 Tory majority at a time when Gummer is well established and Corbyn is seen as a joke. Chances are not too likely.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Standing as a candidate...genuine question for those voting and open to vote LAB on 19:42 - Apr 21 with 1469 viewsWD19

If you can persuade Archer90210 to button it for a few weeks you will have more of a chance.
Standing as a candidate...genuine question for those voting and open to vote LAB on 19:54 - Apr 21 with 1442 viewsbluelagos

I know a previous Lab candidate (who gained share in 2015 but not enough to win) in a Yorkshire seat. Everything I know of her, her efforts and her hard work (and she lost) tells me you are p*ssing in the wind. 90% of voters go on national issues, maybe a good candidate will gain another 5% max?

So given the probable national swing against Lab, unless Ben Gummer is exposed for indulging in bestiality in a Norwich shirt, he's probably good for the seat.

That said, things swing, so get involved now and 2020 might be the year you win? Have you been involved in local councils? Often the way in for a parliamentary seat is for a popular local councillor to stand. It is the local party members who select their candidate.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Standing as a candidate...genuine question for those voting and open to vote LAB on 19:56 - Apr 21 with 1429 viewscolchesterchris

Standing as a candidate...genuine question for those voting and open to vote LAB on 19:28 - Apr 21 by J2BLUE

I'm in...but I want a job when you win.

You'd need to overturn a 3733 Tory majority at a time when Gummer is well established and Corbyn is seen as a joke. Chances are not too likely.

Thanks, support appreciated :) Although, it would be the shortest lasting integrity/better politics based campaign if I agreed to that wouldn't it ;)

I agree with that, definitely wouldn't be easy. Politics does seem to effectively price people like me out of it. I'd have to leave work to fight a campaign that has the odds stacked against it. It is no surprise really that you end up with representation that doesn't reflect vast swathes of our society. Ultimately it's more attractive to those with deeper cash reserves or more affluent support structures.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2017 19:58]

Poll: Hypothetically, we have £1M for January. What would you rather?

Standing as a candidate...genuine question for those voting and open to vote LAB on 19:58 - Apr 21 with 1427 viewsLord_Lucan

I am 51 and have never voted Labour in my life. The Labour Party is in such a mess at the moment with a clueless leader but I shall vote Labour this time.

It's a protest vote really as I really fear that the Torys are getting too powerful.

We are in danger of becoming a dictatorship.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Standing as a candidate...genuine question for those voting and open to vote LAB on 20:12 - Apr 21 with 1369 viewsFtnfwest

Standing as a candidate...genuine question for those voting and open to vote LAB on 19:58 - Apr 21 by Lord_Lucan

I am 51 and have never voted Labour in my life. The Labour Party is in such a mess at the moment with a clueless leader but I shall vote Labour this time.

It's a protest vote really as I really fear that the Torys are getting too powerful.

They've only been in for two years and the majority's 12 or something
[Post edited 21 Apr 2017 20:16]
Standing as a candidate...genuine question for those voting and open to vote LAB on 20:12 - Apr 21 with 1369 viewsJonnosdreadlocks

Stick your liebour party where the sun doesn't shine. This board has more reds than Old Trafford.

Poll: An English Anthem. Wales and Scotland use their own what should England use?

Standing as a candidate...genuine question for those voting and open to vote LAB on 20:14 - Apr 21 with 1354 viewsJ2BLUE

Standing as a candidate...genuine question for those voting and open to vote LAB on 20:12 - Apr 21 by Jonnosdreadlocks

Stick your liebour party where the sun doesn't shine. This board has more reds than Old Trafford.

UKIP for you?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Login to get fewer ads

Standing as a candidate...genuine question for those voting and open to vote LAB on 20:36 - Apr 21 with 1323 viewsJohnhoz

Standing as a candidate...genuine question for those voting and open to vote LAB on 19:58 - Apr 21 by Lord_Lucan

Me too. Same as this. Won't make any difference though as I live in a Labour stronghold. Hillary Benn is the MP

I would love to see this election backfire on May, like the referendum did for Cameron.

Unlikely though
[Post edited 21 Apr 2017 20:38]

I reckon we should sack the manager every time we lose a game
Poll: Right now, why do you go to games

Standing as a candidate...genuine question for those voting and open to vote LAB on 20:40 - Apr 21 with 1307 viewsvapour_trail

Standing as a candidate...genuine question for those voting and open to vote LAB on 20:14 - Apr 21 by J2BLUE

UKIP for you?

Too liberal.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Standing as a candidate...genuine question for those voting and open to vote LAB on 20:51 - Apr 21 with 1276 viewsvapour_trail

Standing as a candidate...genuine question for those voting and open to vote LAB on 20:12 - Apr 21 by Jonnosdreadlocks

Old Trafford is full of tourists from Tory Surrey. This board was pretty much exactly representative of the outside world during brexit. 51-49 in the last big poll for Leave.

Everything seems red when you stand in your EDL shows though.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Standing as a candidate...genuine question for those voting and open to vote LAB on 21:21 - Apr 21 with 1215 viewsDarth_Koont

Standing as a candidate...genuine question for those voting and open to vote LAB on 20:14 - Apr 21 by J2BLUE

UKIP for you?

I think jonno's gone off-grid politically.

To find him, you'd need a time machine and a Wehrmacht uniform.

Pronouns: He/Him

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024